PDA

View Full Version : Remove shifter disk to add buttons?

cmause
09-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Hey gang!

I'm the proud (and excited) new owner of a 2017 Fiat 500e. One week anniversary tomorrow.

I've already noticed that, because the car is so silent and the gentle whirr of the pedestrian sound is ineffective, I need a little something else below full horn. The parking garage at work is full of folks who can't just walk; they need to surf the 'net on their phones, too. Looking around, I came across this idea, which I'm fully prepared to steal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA (minus the air horn). If you don't have an opportunity to watch it, it's a way to play friendly sounds, like short little "bipbip" or R2-D2 sounds to get the attention of other drivers or pedestrians.

So, now, the question of where to put the buttons. I'm thinking the obvious place is the left side of the disk with the shifter buttons. I'm guessing it's pretty empty inside the binnacle, since there's no shift linkage. Does anybody have any ideas on how to open it up? I'm tempted to start prying, but that's a quick way to end up with broken bits. I've searched all over, but don't see any instructions of for opening it up.

Any other ideas where I could put three or four buttons? This car doesn't have lots of blanks like other cars I've had.

Thanks!

-Chris

rkw
09-24-2018, 02:46 AM
The shifter has a list price of $445, so I'm guessing that it isn't just a disk with some buttons, but may have an electronics module inside.
https://www.moparestore.com/2015-fiat-500-e-electric_-transaxle_automatic_1-automatic_transaxle-gear_shift_control-control_5NB26DX9AE-item/
If you still want to check it out, the image suggests that it should pop out.

jamolay
09-24-2018, 08:57 AM
I would consider using a three way switch with an on/off and temporarily on. Then you could beep it quickly or just turn it on for a while in a crowded garage. I would also mount it higher up on the dash if possible. I don’t find the shift buttons conveniently located.

compu_85
09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
We added a small button in the middle of the climate control trim that rings an electric trolly bell :)

-J