PDA

View Full Version : US Fiat 500 gets better gas mileage than the Euro version....

Fiat500USA
06-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Taken from this USA Today article: Little car shoulders huge responsibility (http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-05-31-fiat-500-comes-to-america_n.htm)

Here is DiMuro's walkthrough of key changes to the U.S. version:

•Engine. The 1.4-liter four-cylinder is the first in the U.S. with Fiat's MultiAir technology. It's rated 30 miles per gallon in town, 38 highway vs. the Euro-version's 27/34 in the same tests.

I was told this in January, but weren't given the specifics. Now you know something the others don't know.:cool:

panther76
06-04-2011, 06:02 PM
people get so caught up in comparing the 30/38 to cars from europe that are tested differently or to the old eco cars whose numbers were higher due to the old testing methods, and due to the fact that they were so light because they were made with little consideration for safety.

what i do know is that people in the usa with the manual transmission 500 are achieving 40+ mpg's without too much trouble. im seeing more and more reports of this, so that is pleasing.

Fiat500USA
06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
people get so caught up in comparing the 30/38 to cars from europe that are tested differently or to the old eco cars whose numbers were higher due to the old testing methods, and due to the fact that they were so light because they were made with little consideration for safety.

what i do know is that people in the usa with the manual transmission 500 are achieving 40+ mpg's without too much trouble. im seeing more and more reports of this, so that is pleasing.

You're right! The Imperial thing also screws this up in people's minds. I'm getting better gas mileage now that I have more miles on the car.

ciddyguy
06-04-2011, 08:06 PM
You're right! The Imperial thing also screws this up in people's minds. I'm getting better gas mileage now that I have more miles on the car.

Yep, in researching the Honda Civic's early years, I found a reference for what the '78 Civic got, don't know if it had the base motor or the larger CVCC but the cars weighed in at just under 1500#, 34mpg highway was what it got so this 40mpg cars were ONLY for those that lacked power or had early iterations of VVT or some such and even then, probably closer to 38MPG and here we are, today with cars weighing in excess of 2000#, have safety features, more horsepower with the same sized motor or a bit larger - and perhaps a tad larger and yet still get similar mileage as back then.

And this 40+mpg of the 500 isn't necessarily hypermiling it either.

Prima 109
06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
No hypermiling here. Just using common sense when drivng. No jackrabbit starts and using cruise control on highways I'm seeing 42ish MPG.:cool:

Doodles
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
No hypermiling here. Just using common sense when drivng. No jackrabbit starts and using cruise control on highways I'm seeing 42ish MPG.:cool:
I've had mine for 3 months and have no clue where the cruise control is.
Maybe I could find it in the manual.

SeaDawg
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I've had mine for 3 months and have no clue where the cruise control is.
Maybe I could find it in the manual.

How about on the RIGHT crossmember of the STEERING WHEEL.:)

Doodles
06-08-2011, 10:02 PM
How about on the RIGHT crossmember of the STEERING WHEEL.:)

Aha !!!! There it is . I'm not in the car very often, so a little slow in finding everything.

Freedomland
09-06-2011, 12:13 AM
drove around the last few days but I reset my MPG A when I got onto the hwy do get a real world reading.
this is with a 2012 Pop with AUTO.... I got an avg of 41.5 MPG HWY that's WAYYYY above the sticker.. and I'm REALLY happy

59Imperial
10-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I have owned my 500c 5 speed manual for about three weeks now. I have put on about 3,200 miles and can average about 45 mpg. I tracked three tanks using both the cars computer (avg economy) AND by doing the "old school" way of amount of miles driven divided by the gallons pumped. Both ways came out within tenths and the first two tanks were at 45mpg and one tank at 47 mpg. Now I am just watching the computer and I can pretty much get 45 mpg all the time. I did do a trip from San Diego to Sacramento/San Francisco at up to 80 miles per hour with two people and luggage in the car. There I did a lot of around town driving and got into a bunch of bumper to bumper traffic so that 1300 mile loop did drop to 40 mpg. But driving my 108 mile drive each day (mostly freeway) gives me 45mpg all the time

Have Trumpet Will Travel
10-20-2011, 04:54 AM
All these mpg reports are getting me really excited. My 200cc Enduro (street-legal dirt-bike) routinely delivers 90 mpg easily and now I am buying a CAR that gets 40-some, that's impressive. I am a "numbers nut", so expect to see my posts very soon / CIAO