PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Suggestions

jctvrtlik
08-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Not sure if this post is in the correct category, but my question pertains to suitable tire for winter climate in OH. May be driving there this winter. My stock tires on 2106 ABARTH may not be good for that climate. If anyone has had good luck with a winter compound lat me know the manufacture and tire name. Thanks in advance!

doorite1
08-20-2018, 09:38 PM
I've had good luck with Bridgestone Blizzacks...they seem to be a decent snow tire with pretty good tread life.

jctvrtlik
08-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Thanks Doo-Rite; I looked at those during my basic research. Good to know you had good luck with them. Now all I have to do is find those tires in Austin in the summer! Guess Tire Rack is the answer ... Regards, John

Fiat500USA
08-20-2018, 11:12 PM
Thanks Doo-Rite; I looked at those during my basic research. Good to know you had good luck with them. Now all I have to do is find those tires in Austin in the summer! Guess Tire Rack is the answer ... Regards, John

I moved this into the Abarth section.

Here are a few interesting threads that are tagged 'winter tires':

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/tags.php?tag=winter+tires

Ando
08-21-2018, 12:36 PM
I have a strong personal preference towards Pirelli Sotto Zero (series III) over the Blizzak WS80. It's an unpopular opinion given the quality of the stock Pirelli tires, but these are a different beast. I'll be buying my 3rd set within a few weeks.

I've driven both for at least one full winter. The Pirelli's are quieter, better in snow, last longer, and generally cheaper to buy. The WS80 was a phenomenal tire when it was introduced and still has a slight edge in icy conditions but they have rested on their laurels too long and are no longer the king.

I also hear nothing but good things about Nokian winters, but until their US plant is up and running they are a bit cost prohibitive.

rocketsausage
08-21-2018, 01:21 PM
I've always been a fan of the dunlop wintersports. They feel like a nice compromise between dry vs snow performance. Quieter than the blizzak's, and significantly better road feel in the dry, while still providing pretty excellent traction in the snow.

Ando
08-21-2018, 05:51 PM
I've always been a fan of the dunlop wintersports. They feel like a nice compromise between dry vs snow performance. Quieter than the blizzak's, and significantly better road feel in the dry, while still providing pretty excellent traction in the snow.

Cool, good to have another option as my Pirellis are currently pretty much the same price as the Bridgestones. =/

I agree that for most of us winter tire users, dry performance should be the leading factor. And that's where the Blizzak suffer. Winters have been mild recently. If you live in Houghton MI, buy studded tires, for the rest of us, well balanced is the way to go.

It's worth mentioning that I drive ~350 mi/wk mostly freeway so if you have a shorter, lower speed commute you can probably expect to be less annoyed by road noise and have longer life out of your Blizzaks than I did. They ARE good tires I just hated them in my usage case.

Klasse Act
08-21-2018, 06:06 PM
I have 4 winter seasons with my Blizzak WS80's and I've never been stuck, they are great tires and the ride is great too!