PDA

View Full Version : Help....needing seat belt receptacles

Lil Blue
08-20-2018, 05:41 PM
And not having a lot of luck finding receptacles only. Just the whole kit. Not needing them to be original, just need to work with what's already there since the seat belts are fine..plus hoping to have them a little longer than original. Called one local place and they said they only have the one..and may have to modify. Haven't checked other places yet...and the online places so far have the entire belt assembly. Any other options?

Fiat500USA
08-20-2018, 08:50 PM
And not having a lot of luck finding receptacles only. Just the whole kit. Not needing them to be original, just need to work with what's already there since the seat belts are fine..plus hoping to have them a little longer than original. Called one local place and they said they only have the one..and may have to modify. Haven't checked other places yet...and the online places so far have the entire belt assembly. Any other options?

Call Midwest Bayless and ask them - (614) 784-8870 (https://www.google.com/search?q=midwest+bayless&oq=midwest+bayless&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j35i39j0l2.4610j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#). They have stuff that's not on their website. Tell them Chris sent you. xyxwave

Robert Nixon
08-20-2018, 08:50 PM
any junk yard, pull-a-part type places near you?

Fiat500USA
08-20-2018, 09:07 PM
any junk yard, pull-a-part type places near you?

Finding a 80s vintage Spider 2000 is a long shot, but worth a try. Especially if you are not in the rust belt like I am. All the cars here are long gone.

NGEN
08-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Have you tried seatbelt planet out of Oklahoma? That would be a good option.

Fiat500USA
08-20-2018, 11:46 PM
Have you tried seatbelt planet out of Oklahoma? That would be a good option.

They are good. I just bought seatbelts from them for my 124 Coupe. They have a belt kit for your Spider. They didn't have anything for a Coupe, but I came up with a universal set that they customized for me. Seatbelts do deteriorate, so a new set wouldn't be a bad idea, too.

Lil Blue
08-21-2018, 03:34 AM
Thanks everyone...the seatbelts themselves are in surprisingly good shape. It's just the plastic over the receptacle is bad, and on passenger side has finally just fallen apart...still works...but hard to get in there to release. Haven't tried the junk yards because I figured if I did find one with a Spider, what I'm looking for would probably be in just as bad shape. Plus the originals are pretty "short", so when we got to work on the interior...was going to try to find something a bit longer anyways. Seems simple enough to swap....just a bolt basically.....right? (I know...famous last words). I will say at last weekend's Cars and Coffee the folks with the Alfa Romeo Spyders were warm and welcoming saying things like "what's up cuz" and such...and offered words of encouragement when I was lamenting about being over budget on where I wanted to be at this point with "get use to it....it never ends" and others words of wisdom.

Lil Blue
08-23-2018, 03:37 AM
Call Midwest Bayless and ask them - (614) 784-8870 (https://www.google.com/search?q=midwest+bayless&oq=midwest+bayless&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j35i39j0l2.4610j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#). They have stuff that's not on their website. Tell them Chris sent you. xyxwave

Thanks....got a call in but the guy I had to talk to wasn't in so waiting on a call back. Still trying to figure out the temperature controls. I googled them and found something...but when I set the arms...don't think the settings are the same. Took her to work past couple of days since the temps were low 80's. The responses were positive...especially from the monster truck types. My favorite was from one of the supply house drivers with "look at that azz". I was worried at 1st what she was talking about....but it was the car. Picture is next to the truck belonging to a field supervisor. We have a running joke about who's over compensating.

Fiat500USA
08-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Here is how the heater controls on a Spider work. They are all the same from 66 through Spider 2000s.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hTlOzkTIJZo/W4DbdCBPHZI/AAAAAAAA2Ds/WyyMsv0qYEgF71ItPlNNIPDJc_RsJF7ZQCKgBGAs/s1600/124-Heater-controls.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vEDS1blFGO8/W4DbdCf8TjI/AAAAAAAA2Ds/PEUfFLBp7O840nZrtB9-v8Ak_G2GerzCQCKgBGAs/s1600/124-Heater-controls-2.jpg

Sometimes the heater cable gets disconnected from the heater control valve. You can see the valve if you get down in the passenger footwell and look in back of the console near-ish to the firewall. Move lever "D" back and forth and you should see it operate the lever on the heater valve. These can sometimes fail or leak so the heater still gets hot no matter where the lever is.

Lil Blue
08-25-2018, 03:25 AM
Thanks...had no idea there was a lever back there....need to go look. Also need to go through the "chilton's" book sometime. Just couldn't make it simple....could they? :P

*Just went and looked....couldn't see a lever under the dash...but did find an old sock tucked up and in for some reason.

Fiat500USA
08-25-2018, 09:49 AM
I forgot to mention depending on the year, the newer cars did away with the vent under the dash. That's a snippet from a '76 owners manual. I recommend getting an owners manual online. If you look around they aren't too much. They may be some over here on Mirafiori. You need to register and then access the Library from the forum list. They have factory manuals on the cars.

https://www.mirafiori.com/forum/index.php

Lil Blue
08-26-2018, 03:21 AM
I forgot to mention depending on the year, the newer cars did away with the vent under the dash. That's a snippet from a '76 owners manual. I recommend getting an owners manual online. If you look around they aren't too much. They may be some over here on Mirafiori. You need to register and then access the Library from the forum list. They have factory manuals on the cars.

https://www.mirafiori.com/forum/index.php

Thanks....I found one online...and you can download it as a PDF...just from experimenting..think I have it right comparing it to the manual. As far as the seat belt receptacle..it still works...so may hold off a bit until we decide and tackle the interior. Thinking of getting after market seats (if available) because the seats backs as is all the way up still lean back a bit far for our comfort...plus thinking of maybe doing a back seat delete since it's really only good for groceries or lawn chairs for car shows basically. We're still talking.

I'm surprised how many people came up yesterday at the bigger Cars and Coffee down south that either have a Spider, or have fond memories of a Spider in their family back when they were younger (you can tell these people were "remembering" times spent with a family member when they were a kid when they were talking). Though when I look at her I see the "flaws"/work still needing to be done (minor surface rust issues...interior...etc)..they all thought she looked good. Also...this being our 1st "classic" car...the other classic car/truck people are very respectful and "welcoming" (for lack of a better word), which surprises me since being in Kansas...figured it not being a classic 'Merican car/truck, I would get a lot of "why didn't you get a (insert classic car/truck here) like we did when we got our '12 Pop.
Side note...managed to find a Minion in the garage for the front seat...works well.