PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the run flat goop canister

robus
08-09-2018, 01:45 PM
So we finally had a flat and had to use the run flat system, which worked perfectly.

However now of course the canister of goop is used up and Fiat/Chrysler seems to have a nationwide back order for the part.
They'll sell you an entire compressor + canister combo of course, but I don't want to throw out a perfectly good compressor
(and waste the money).

Are there 3rd party options that people have found?

Thanks!

texanbrit
08-09-2018, 01:52 PM
I found a whole unit, pump and goop at my local Autozone.

saypat
08-10-2018, 12:44 AM
are there instructions with it? I saw a Youtube video on it once, it was pretty technical ... do this, do that, etc. then check the tire again some time after driving a while? I'm still hunting for a spare. God it worked for you!

rkw
08-10-2018, 02:08 AM
A customer review says Mopar part # 82212850 works with the Fiat 500 compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dodge-82212850-Spare-Tire/dp/B00GAYSMNM
I have no doubt that Fiat-Chrysler uses the same unit across many different car models, just with different labels.

rkw
08-10-2018, 02:27 AM
are there instructions with it?There are several pages of instructions in the Owners Manual. Look in the section "What to do in Emergencies".

outoway
08-12-2018, 03:03 AM
Cheaper to just get the slime in a can. Compressor still works with out the goop!

Tweak
08-12-2018, 08:35 AM
are there instructions with it? I saw a Youtube video on it once, it was pretty technical ... do this, do that, etc. then check the tire again some time after driving a while? I'm still hunting for a spare. God it worked for you!

Basically, I think the main thing is you turn one way for air and the other for air+"goop". As long as you do that the rest won't matter so much.

Robert Nixon
08-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I'm with outoway on this one, the link above has the Mopar goop at Amazon for like 32 bucks, and you can buy a can of Fix-A-Flat and a new cheapo compressor for less.

My experience has been that the original FIAT one and any cheapo air compressor for filling tires will only last about two years with regular use (autocross is where I use it), so they are cheap enough to replace, and if you only use it once a year it (compressor) should last a lot longer. Maybe some day I'll get a real air compressor!

stromauto
08-15-2018, 01:03 AM
We also happened to have a flat this weekend, so we also used the goop can.

I ordered this one off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAYSMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you zoom in on the image, you can read the part number on the bottom of the can and it matches the one
on the can that we used, that came with the compressor.

The new can should arrive Friday. Will let you know if it fits.

Looks like there is a release button on the compressor (on the part that the hoses wrap around) that allows you to remove the old goop can and then just push the new one in place.

Will let you know how it goes.

Robert Nixon
08-15-2018, 05:59 AM
stromauto,

that link gives me a USB box

stromauto
08-15-2018, 01:51 PM
stromauto,

that link gives me a USB box

Sorry for the wrong link. Copy/Paste error. I fixed my posting.

stromauto
08-17-2018, 10:53 PM
To follow up on this:

The goop can I ordered off of Amazon arrived today (here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAYSMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1_).

I can confirm that this replacement fits the air compressor that comes with the Fiat 500e.

The can that I received had an expiration date of 1/2021, FWIW.

jamolay
08-26-2018, 04:27 PM
To follow up on this:

The goop can I ordered off of Amazon arrived today (here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAYSMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1_).

I can confirm that this replacement fits the air compressor that comes with the Fiat 500e.

The can that I received had an expiration date of 1/2021, FWIW.

That is still a $31 can of goop. Is there any real advantage to it over a $8 can of fix a flat?

Greg Elmassian
08-27-2018, 11:04 PM
I got the can of goop... no problem