PDA

View Full Version : Towing an Abarth: dolly vs trailer

tjh8402
08-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Anyone had experience towing their Abarth? Iíve heard some concerns about using a dolly (body work clearance) and that a full trailer is needed. I am considering a second car, and Iím trying to decide if the ability to tow the Fiat is criteria I should be considering or not.

CoachRick
08-04-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm no help at all; but just wanted to say I saw a 'Vette ALMOST being loaded onto a trailer today. I'm sure the front end bottomed out and there was NO way the ramp angle would allow the rear of the 'Vette to clear the ground. It looked like the beginning of a "redneck repair" segment on YouTube ;) ...as the 'Vette sat their loaded HALFway onto the trailer and both wrecker driver and owner(presumably) on their respective phones!!! Dang.

abarth176
08-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Anyone had experience towing their Abarth? Iíve heard some concerns about using a dolly (body work clearance) and that a full trailer is needed. I am considering a second car, and Iím trying to decide if the ability to tow the Fiat is criteria I should be considering or not.

If you are stock ride height a dolly will work just fine.

aelfwyne
08-06-2018, 01:44 AM
If you are stock ride height a dolly will work just fine.

Absolutely NOT true.

Used a tow dolly on mine. Had to remove the front bumper AND Front-Mount intercooler. And it still scraped hard on the lower chassis extension. Then the driver tried to back the car into its parking spot and the tow dolly rotated up a bit and snagged on the sideskirt, which I will now need to replace.

Maybe there are some lower tow dollies that are better design but I absolutely would not make a blanket statement that all of them would work just fine.

xoceantoastx
08-06-2018, 09:45 AM
I would never put a Fiat on a dolly under any circumstance, period!

bglz42
08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I flat tow mine all the time. Bought a Roadmaster tow bar, works great!

tjh8402
08-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I flat tow mine all the time. Bought a Roadmaster tow bar, works great!

Flat towing isn't really an option for me. the car would most commonly be towed for tire or mechanical problems. I am frequently far from a preferred dealer, and if my car continues to regularly require a tow truck, I'm gonna use up my AAA allotment quickly.