PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Spotted Poking About On Michigan Freeway

RacerRon
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
For some reason I couldn't post this to Abarth News, so I'm posting it here.
The Car & Driver Blog has a posting titled: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Spotted Poking About On Michigan Freeway (http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-fiat-500-abarth-spotted-poking-about-on-michigan-freeway/)

This is making my head spin.

Chris, put this post wherever you think is best.

Fiat500USA
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
For some reason I couldn't post this to Abarth News, so I'm posting it here.
The Car & Driver Blog has a posting titled: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Spotted Poking About On Michigan Freeway (http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-fiat-500-abarth-spotted-poking-about-on-michigan-freeway/)

This is making my head spin.

Chris, put this post wherever you think is best.

Oops, Forgot to throw the switch to open the forum;)

Very interesting. The exhaust gives it away! Front bumper looks like it still has intercooler ducts. Very preliminary...

einy
06-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Can't wait .... !!!!!

RLove
06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
This is just killing me. I sold my Corvette and had intentions of buying the 500 Sport - driving it until the Abarth came out. Then I read that it is supposed to be here early 2012. With my six-mile round-trip commute I wouldn't throw enough miles on to justify the huge depreciation hit I'd take trading the car off early next year. So, I guess I'll drive my 18 year old Toyota pickup and hope that the Abarth gets here close to it's rumored time. With a studio just a few miles away, and knowing that there are all of those candy-colored 500's sitting there ownerless is hard.

geeded
06-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Okay Chris, this one is for you.

You have made several knowing comments implying the NA Abarth is going to be hardcore, wicked, and so forth:D. Now C&D comes out saying it's going to have 135 hp which would be a joke considering the competition and expectations and not a peep of denial from you.

So, I know better than to expect a direct answer...but I do have one of these on deposit. Please tell me that the 135 hp is just a typical C&D lack of investigation and that the TRUE hp is going to be WAY north of this figure. Right? Right? Please...

Cheers :D

Chris
06-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Sounds like they're still quoting the Geneva auto show, but then, Fiat isn't coming out and saying yet, are they? My dealer says it's a common question they get and (IIRC) Fiat's not telling them yet.

They do use the 170 figure here: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_fiat_500_u.s.-spec_photos_and_info-auto_shows

PiZ
06-08-2011, 06:32 AM

You have made several knowing comments implying the NA Abarth is going to be hardcore, wicked, and so forth:D. Now C&D comes out saying it's going to have 135 hp which would be a joke considering the competition and expectations and not a peep of denial from you.

So, I know better than to expect a direct answer...but I do have one of these on deposit. Please tell me that the 135 hp is just a typical C&D lack of investigation and that the TRUE hp is going to be WAY north of this figure. Right? Right? Please...

Cheers :D

...35 "degrees" north ? ;-) ;) :D

geeded
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I just reread my reply after getting a good night's sleep... Honestly, I was trying to "snake" some info and be fairly interesting to read and "light". I'm not sure it came off that way. If not, I apologize and will try harder. I (we) appreciate any info we can get and thank y'all for it.....and if it did come off okay, then, in the immortal words of Emily Latilla....."Nevermind".... ;)

SeaDawg
06-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I just reread my reply after getting a good night's sleep... Honestly, I was trying to "snake" some info and be fairly interesting to read and "light". I'm not sure it came off that way. If not, I apologize and will try harder. I (we) appreciate any info we can get and thank y'all for it.....and if it did come off okay, then, in the immortal words of Emily Latilla....."Nevermind".... ;)

I think our resident Italian Engineer is trying to imply it is 170 HP as in 135 + 35. I wouldn't expect any more direct an answer.:D I am still intrigued by the statement in the C&D article stating it will have a 6 Spd vs the 5 Spd in the European version.

PiZ
06-09-2011, 05:02 AM
I think our resident Italian Engineer is trying to imply it is 170 HP as in 135 + 35. I wouldn't expect any more direct an answer.:D I am still intrigued by the statement in the C&D article stating it will have a 6 Spd vs the 5 Spd in the European version.

;)

....and, about gearbox.... for the time being I could quote geeded: it's "typical C&D lack of investigation".... LOL. ;-)

PiZ

RacerRon
06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
The "170 hp Abarth" was stated in Chris' blog in January 2010, and it came from Chrysler. Here's to link to the article:

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/01/us-fiat-500-abarthhow-much-horsepower.html

SeaDawg
06-09-2011, 05:25 PM
The "170 hp Abarth" was stated in Chris' blog in January 2010, and it came from Chrysler. Here's to link to the article:

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/01/us-fiat-500-abarthhow-much-horsepower.html

I wasn't reading here then, awaaa, awaaa.:p At least that tells me where C&D might have gotten the impression of the 6 speed manual as the article states the Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde, which is where that 170 HP engine comes from has a HEAVY DUTY 6 speed manual transmission. Of course it has a different floor pan.

RacerRon
06-10-2011, 01:33 AM
If the Abarth does end up with the 170 hp Mito engine with it's torque too, it should be a fun car regardless of which transmission it ends up with. If Chris is right about the hard core nature of the U.S. Abarth, we might have some jealous Europeans. We just have to wait, wait, and wait.

Fiat500USA
06-10-2011, 02:22 AM

You have made several knowing comments implying the NA Abarth is going to be hardcore, wicked, and so forth. Now C&D comes out saying it's going to have 135 hp which would be a joke considering the competition and expectations and not a peep of denial from you.

Cheers

It's all good;) I've actually asked someone about the 6-speed quote way back and their reply was the typical... "Chris, you know I can't answer that" ;)

The 170hp figure is from what was talked about and documented in Jan 2010. Now how we get that 170hp waits to be seen. It may be in an optional package like the esseesse kit, or who knows.

One thing to remember is this is serious business, a comment can end someones career, and bring legal prosecution. Folks are very careful and I respect that.

Now for what I can say: This car will offer A LOT of performance; Fiat knows the competition and what is expected. The smiles on the faces of the engineers tell the story.

As for the 6 speed, Fiat has talked about a DDC transmission for the smaller cars, I beleive it is called the 625TCT (it's 2 AM and I'm a little tired), I wrote about it last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we see that in the US. I don't have confirmation on that, but it is my geuss.

By the way, C&D says it's early to see the Abarth being tested, they are really wrong. Things are moving pretty well along... ;)

geeded
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks Chris,

Certainly appreciate any info that is available. If possible, I assume that at least a 5-speed manual will be avaiable? Seems trying to sell the Abarth as an auto only might end up like the 2nd year (DSG only) R32, a flop. I know I wouldn't buy an auto Abarth.

Cheers:cool:

F500
06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I've placed my order for my Sport and I'm happy with that. but I can see I'll be making some mods, such as the dual exhaust and a CAI for sure. while I LOVE raw HP, I NEED MPG's more. the Sport will fit MY needs better.

RacerRon
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm sure the Fiat and Chrysler engineers have looked at the small hot hatch competition (Mini). The Mini has two versions of their turbo: The "S" version with 181 hp and a starting price of $23,700. The John Cooper Works has a whopping 208 hp and starts at $29,800. So, it is possible that Fiat may offer two versions of the Abarth just like they do in Europe. I'm hoping the pricing can be on par with the Mini Cooper S and much less than the John Cooper Works price. I don't think Americans will understand the concept behind the SS kit. Buy a regular Abarth then order the optional SS kit for thousands more, then wait a few weeks for the parts to arrive in a wooden crate and then take your Abarth to the dealer to have the parts installed. The good thing about this process is that you get to keep all the "old" parts they replaced.

Better yet, how about an Abarth with the engine from the Alfa 4C (1.7 liter - 200+ hp??)

geeded
06-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm sure the Fiat and Chrysler engineers have looked at the small hot hatch competition (Mini). The Mini has two versions of their turbo: The "S" version with 181 hp and a starting price of $23,700. The John Cooper Works has a whopping 208 hp and starts at $29,800. So, it is possible that Fiat may offer two versions of the Abarth just like they do in Europe. I'm hoping the pricing can be on par with the Mini Cooper S and much less than the John Cooper Works price.

I think that the Abarth will slot in below the regular MINI S. unless, of course, they trick it out WAY above the European Abarth (which is possible). Let's not forget that the 500 is a smaller car than the MINI and is built "cheaper", i.e. hard plastic dash, bits, twist beam rear, etc. It competes well in Europe at a lower price point and is doing the same here with the standard 500.

Now if they decide to make the Abarth a low volume, high-content vehicle this is all mute. However, Fiat has a factory in Mexico capable of making a LOT of these so their decision will be, shall we say, interesting.

Cheers

einy
06-13-2011, 06:55 AM
I think Americans would understand the "upgrade" concept of the Essess kit .... "tuner" hop ups of cars are pretty well accepted, and the aspect of buying the base "hot" version now, then later buying the factory supported upgrade kit is a compelling marketing idea. Especially, if the dealer installation of the upgrade kit carries a continuation of the warranty that remains on the vehicle. Harley-Davidson has done this very successfully for years with their big bore kits, as one example of the acceptance of this idea. I cannot think of anyone doing this currently in the US market on the automotive side so application of this principle would strike me as being a fresh idea there.

Terry
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Might as well dream a bit: We have experienced the C coming out ahead of schedule and it looks like FIAT is anxious to fill the Studios with more available models. We also know that the pricing has been pretty aggressive with FIAT undercutting Mini across the board...I wouldn't be surprised if Laura doesn't show up at the FLU convention with at least a prototypo of the new Abarth. It would be a great venue and really get the buzz going among the cognoscenti. We shall see, eh?

Terry

RacerRon
06-13-2011, 06:23 PM
The FLU might be a good venue for Laura S. to get feedback from Fiat enthusiasts regarding marketing plans for the 500 Abarth: one Abarth model only, an optional SS version like Europe has, or something different.

06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I can see only one model being offered, and that being the full fettled SS like model, 170bhp directly sourced from the MiTO cloverleaf. Id imagine the only options will be on sunroof and transmission with a choice of 5 speed manual or semi-auto of some description. Id be looking realistically at the price being about US$25,500 and being limited to under 1000 units in the first year. All ok for the market but still overpriced when you compare to European prices, but it WILL be a better car and whilst everyone will claim to want one - not too many will actually put their money where their mouth is and take the plunge until years 2 and 3 come around and questions have answers in regard to reliability etc. I have a deposit in and my only concerns are on maintenance costs...but time will tell and Id expect the car to have excellent residual values. Im also looking at the Focus ST but they will almost certainly top the 30k mark and that is going to be obscene!

geeded
06-15-2011, 05:45 PM
fidgell,

That sounds like a very likely plan since the rumors are that the Abarth will be a restricted model, at least for the first year. Even if they only offer 1000, that's still about 9 for every dealer, so not bad. If this comes to pass, I just hope they allow the normal optioning. I want leather, NO auto air conditioning (I like knobs and our MINI's auto air sucks), NO sunroof, a real manual gearbox, and I would be happy with 16" wheels as they ride a little softer and have less unsprung weight. Of course, paint choice, etc, and perhaps a little sticker with the number on it, and if they want to get creative, include the original purchaser's name.. although here in the US, the name might not be a good idea or just included with the delivery.

I'm still of the opinion that the Abarth should have been available alongside the regular 500 at launch, same as the MINI. Even at a lesser volume to create a shortfall (always good for sales), it still made the MINI more than just an 'economy' car. Luckily FIAT has had that taboo broken, unluckily they didn't follow MINI's example, IMHO of course. OTOH, the roll-put was pretty ragged as it was. I hope things have settled down.

I do agree that the first year of the Abarth will hold good residuals, especially if a limited model (as long as my dealer honors our contract, I'll be content).

Cheers

Fiat500USA
06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
July will be a big month for the US 500 Abarth... Keep an eye out for news.... http://n3.nabble.com/images/smiley/smiley_wink.gif

geeded
06-15-2011, 08:18 PM
July will be a big month for the US 500 Abarth... Keep an eye out for news.... http://n3.nabble.com/images/smiley/smiley_wink.gif

Okay, Okay, settle down .... Now how do I make an emoticon do handsprings..........?

Aw, to heck with it, Huzzah! The prospect of actual news and not conjecture! Be still my beating heart!

OTOH, it'll be fun to see who got closest to what FIAT is thinking and knowing ahead of time doesn't count!

Once again...Huzzah and thanks for the mood lifter!!

Cheers

RacerRon
06-15-2011, 08:20 PM

I'm getting goose pimples.

RacerRon
06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
... it'll be fun to see who got closest to wha FIAT is thinking (knowing ahead of time doesn't count)!

Cheers

I betcha the engine will be a turbocharged 1.4 liter MultiAir!

SeaDawg
06-15-2011, 09:31 PM

Ya' THINK!:rolleyes::D

geeded
06-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Come on 175 hp, 175 hp, 175 hp, I think they can, I think they can.......Plleeeeaaassseeee! Or 200 hp, that'd be Okay too! ;)

Oh, and 4 wheels would be cool.

Thad
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Just so you know, FIAT will be sponsor at FIAT FreakOut this year again. They won't confirm/deny that they will bring an Abarth. They are bringing vehicles. We just don't know what they will be.
-Thad

Terry
06-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Okay, Okay, settle down .... Now how do I make an emoticon do handsprings..........?

Aw, to heck with it, Huzzah! The prospect of actual news and not conjecture! Be still my beating heart!

OTOH, it'll be fun to see who got closest to what FIAT is thinking and knowing ahead of time doesn't count!

Huzzah, indeed!

Once again...Huzzah and thanks for the mood lifter!!

Cheers

"Huzzah", indeed and perhaps "Excelsior!"

geeded
06-17-2011, 12:08 AM
"Huzzah", indeed and perhaps "Excelsior!"

Okay, I see your "Excelsior" and raise you a "By Jove!" AND a "Pip, Pip, Cheerio, I'll see you anon!".

Ta Ta For Now!;)

p.s. I forgot...these are Italian cars not British.......right? So, Ciao!:cool:

Terry
06-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Okay, I see your "Excelsior" and raise you a "By Jove!" AND a "Pip, Pip, Cheerio, I'll see you anon!".

Ta Ta For Now!;)

p.s. I forgot...these are Italian cars not British.......right? So, Ciao!:cool:

We could always add "Zounds!" or perhaps a "Gadzooks!" (Help, me! I think Bertie Wooster has taken over my Italian soul.)---allora....a piu tardi.

RLove
06-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Much to my wife's delight I broke down and placed a deposit on the next Rosso Sport to grace our dealership. My goal was to wait out the Abarth by driving my beater pickup truck. I asked about leaving a deposit on one and they won't take it, but did say that first right of refusal will be offered to current 500 owners. So, maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and get on the bandwagon at this point and just enjoy the car for the possibly brief wait til the Abarth arrives. Apparently the car is already built and could be shipped to the US at any time. WooHoo! I'll be joining this band of enthusiasts before long. I'm already trying to decide how far to mod this car knowing that it may get traded off fairly quickly. The car really needs a good 1.5" drop, and a nice sounding exhaust would be fun.

In keeping with the previous posts...Ciao!

Fiat500USA
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Much to my wife's delight I broke down and placed a deposit on the next Rosso Sport to grace our dealership. My goal was to wait out the Abarth by driving my beater pickup truck. I asked about leaving a deposit on one and they won't take it, but did say that first right of refusal will be offered to current 500 owners. So, maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and get on the bandwagon at this point and just enjoy the car for the possibly brief wait til the Abarth arrives. Apparently the car is already built and could be shipped to the US at any time. WooHoo! I'll be joining this band of enthusiasts before long. I'm already trying to decide how far to mod this car knowing that it may get traded off fairly quickly. The car really needs a good 1.5" drop, and a nice sounding exhaust would be fun.

In keeping with the previous posts...Ciao!

I was also going to wait for the Abarth, but I just couldn't sit by and watch (plus I needed a car for the website;) I'm glad I bought the car, I'm having a load of fun. Plus, I really like the looks of the Sport.

geeded
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Congrats Rlove on the imminent arrival of your Rosso. You will be entertained! I just can't accept 100 hp when I know the Abarth is coming. I've had my deposit down for 3 months already, so I will persevere. In your case, I wonder about a dealer that will not accept a deposit...I hope they aren't just waiting to see how high they can mark the Abarth up. I hope that, even though they are owned by Chrysler dealers, FIAT won't let them go all Hog-wild crazy on the markups with the resulting bad blood.

I stopped buying Hondas back in the late 70's because they ALL wanted over retail and Homey don't play that. On the Abarth, I'm not asking for a deal, just the MSRP and that's what our contract with Stateline Fiat calls for. We will see what happens. I have a good feeling and will be positive and endure the LONG wait.

In the meantime, welcome to the site, and enjoy your Sport!

Cheers

RLove
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Congrats Rlove on the imminent arrival of your Rosso. You will be entertained! I just can't accept 100 hp when I know the Abarth is coming. I've had my deposit down for 3 months already, so I will persevere. In your case, I wonder about a dealer that will not accept a deposit...I hope they aren't just waiting to see how high they can mark the Abarth up. I hope that, even though they are owned by Chrysler dealers, FIAT won't let them go all Hog-wild crazy on the markups with the resulting bad blood.

I stopped buying Hondas back in the late 70's because they ALL wanted over retail and Homey don't play that. On the Abarth, I'm not asking for a deal, just the MSRP and that's what our contract with Stateline Fiat calls for. We will see what happens. I have a good feeling and will be positive and endure the LONG wait.

In the meantime, welcome to the site, and enjoy your Sport!

Cheers

Ditto, I won't play the markup game either. There are too many other cars out there that interest me, but the Abarth would be the first pick at the (assumed) price point. Honda ticks me off since the ones in our area unashamedly mark up cars unbelievably high. I looked at a Fit once, and nothing was mentioned until we started in on price. The salesman took the $17,500 to $21,500 with the required dealer add-ons. Sorry, $600 for a pinstripe and $200 for locking lugs among other things doesn't fly and I walked out.

I have a very good feeling with my salesman and the dealership overall (Fiat of McKinney Texas) so I hope that they don't disappoint when it comes to the Abarth. Like you I expect to pay MSRP with no add-ons or ADP. We'll see.

Abarthlyness
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Congrats Rlove! Let us know what you think when your Sport arrives. Pics would be cool too.

I would love to snag a Sport, and rock that until the Abarth arrives... but, my SRT-4 does DD duty just fine for now.

I just signed up here, so forgive me for being out of the loop, but did Chris give any more details in July, as was mentioned earlier in the thread?

geeded
08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I just signed up here, so forgive me for being out of the loop, but did Chris give any more details in July, as was mentioned earlier in the thread?

To the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the "July details" consisted of an announcement that the Abarth will be coming (Duh) and will be unveiled in November at the LA Car show. I believe to be released during the first quarter of 2012. NO information about the car itself/pricing/appearance/etc, just the announcement that the Abarth does, in fact, exist.

Sigh, endure and persevere

Abarthlyness
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
To the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the "July details" consisted of an announcement that the Abarth will be coming (Duh) and will be unveiled in November at the LA Car show. I believe to be released during the first quarter of 2012. NO information about the car itself/pricing/appearance/etc, just the announcement that the Abarth does, in fact, exist.

Sigh, endure and persevere

Gotcha, so it was an announcement telling us what we pretty much already know:rolleyes:

Thanks geeded!

Fiat500USA
08-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Before we dismiss the news that we received, lets take a good look at it:

1) US Abarths pre-production test-mules were completed in July and are now running on the street. This means it is only a matter of time before we start seeing spy shots.

2) We now have a launch date to count down to. That's when we'll get all the details of the car.

3)We now have confirmation of when the car will be available. Before it was speculation and, remember, being on this forum makes you the most informed people out there. The rest of the world doesn't really know what's happening.

My advice is to sit back and savor the flavor of each bit of news we get. November will be here quick enough!

Jeepnut
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
The rumors are already flying one site i read the story about the announcement on(Two days after you broke the story) was saying that the US Abarth wouldnt be visually different from the Sport inside or out. :confused:

Fiat500USA
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
The rumors are already flying one site i read the story about the announcement on(Two days after you broke the story) was saying that the US Abarth wouldnt be visually different from the Sport inside or out. :confused:

Hi Jeepnut! I'm glad you noticed when I posted that, it was 3:04AM and was just a little bit after I got done talking with someone from Fiat! Man, I'm still tired!

Anyway, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a premium car look the same as a lower cost car, so I'm not worried much.

Chris
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I know my dealer says some had expressed concern over the ground effects on American roads. He was quite certain that what he'd seen would have some trouble with American potholes and a modicum of snow... It will certainly look somewhat different than the Sport- if even just in the cosmetics.