PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Barth. Cant see the dang tach !

Velodrome
07-15-2018, 04:44 AM
Ok I'll be the first to admit I'm an idiot and I may just be missing something here; but I've had the car for 5 months now and fiddled with all the buttons and knobs and gone through the menu on the dash. In daylight ( Arizona daylight ) I cannot see the tach and speedo needles AT ALL when driving. If in daylight I turn on the headlights, so the insturments are "illuminated" I still cant see them. This is annoying to me. Yes the speed is display'd in the center section but whats the point of a tach and speedo guage I can only see at night? There has to be a way for me to light these things up. Help!

Rags747
07-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Ok I'll be the first to admit I'm an idiot and I may just be missing something here; but I've had the car for 5 months now and fiddled with all the buttons and knobs and gone through the menu on the dash. In daylight ( Arizona daylight ) I cannot see the tach and speedo needles AT ALL when driving. If in daylight I turn on the headlights, so the insturments are "illuminated" I still cant see them. This is annoying to me. Yes the speed is display'd in the center section but whats the point of a tach and speedo guage I can only see at night? There has to be a way for me to light these things up. Help!
I have said that for years, just something u have to live with. The speedo/tach should be illuminated as it is in other cars during the day but for whatever reason it is not.

Velodrome
07-15-2018, 10:39 AM
This means war.

rustbucket
07-16-2018, 02:07 AM
What's AZ daylight like?... seriously. No such issues with my '13 Sport and these soon to be 65 year old eyes ain't what they used to be. There is an brightness adjustment for the instrument cluster which I'm assuming you have made. From page 168 of the Owner's Manual ….

Personal Settings (Customer-Programmable
Features)

Dimmer

The EVIC display is provided with a light sensor capable
of detecting environmental light conditions and adjusting
the brightness of the instruments accordingly.
NOTE: The brightness of the instrument panel may
change while travelling following an event that causes
switching from “day” to “night” conditions (or vice
versa) in the passenger compartment (e.g. in a tunnel, on
avenues in shadows, under bridges, etc.).

To adjust the brightness, proceed as follows:

1. Press the UP or DOWN button to set the
required brightness level.

2. Briefly press the SET ESC button to go back to the
menu screen or press and hold the SET ESC (approximately
one second) to go back to the main screen
without storing settings.
[/I][/I]

I had to look it up- we set it up when I got the car 4+ years and I haven't had to touch it since. It works well in responding to ambient light conditions, even on really, really bright days. If that doesn't work, perhaps that light sensor is bad.

Velodrome
07-17-2018, 03:40 AM
Arizona daylight is brighter than Wisconsin daylight and with far less cheese. SO. On your sport the swept needle gauges for speed and tach ARE illuminated? Mine are deep in the shadow of the binicle and only the center section showing MPH odometer, outside temp ect are lit as they are LCD.

Ando
07-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Arizona daylight is brighter than Wisconsin daylight and with far less cheese.

Well there's your issue! Eat more cheese, be more cheery, shift by ear!

Kidding kidding. This only bothers me on occasion. Like rustbucket I don't seem to have issues with our meager northern sunlight. The neeedles are lit up during the day with the headlights off, when ambient lighting gets "meh" on me (think cloudy day, not dusk) I occasionally get annoyed and turn on the headlamps just to see my dash. Not to say the design or programming couldn't have been better but I'll agree that it's probably a setting or a goofed sensor at the core of your irritation.

rocketsausage
07-17-2018, 02:45 PM
I've had this problem occasionally, but only on very bright days when the sun is at the right angle (sunglasses don't help either). Has anyone looked into custom backlighting for the cluster? I know it's relatively common on some other cars. Bright white during the day with the same amber/red at night would be great for visibility.

Velodrome
07-17-2018, 04:34 PM
THAT would be neat! Ando: I have limo ceramic tint all the way around and the windshield is ceramic tinted as well but VERY light ceramic. So; sunglasses ( blast shield ) are still on till the sun goes down. Car is very dark inside. Not seeing my tach annoys the POO out of me.

Ando
07-17-2018, 04:45 PM
I have limo ceramic tint all the way around and the windshield is ceramic tinted as well but VERY light ceramic. So; sunglasses ( blast shield ) are still on till the sun goes down. Car is very dark inside. Not seeing my tach annoys the POO out of me.

Yeah, that makes sense for AZ. Our maximum legal tint is...... 50% I'm very happy that the PO of my car ignored this law. Still probably only 40% but makes it look meaner. I bet your limo tint looks nice on the outside as well as keeping you cool.

texanbrit
07-17-2018, 05:32 PM
"Officer, I'm sorry I was speeding but I couldn't read the dash". It's a bit frustrating but after 4 years I don't really think about it.