PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Fiat 500 starting issue

Zander145
06-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Hello, new to the forum, I used to own a 2003 Honda Pilot and now a 2012 Fiat 500 (Think its the EZ model)
Has been working fine no issues, went to move the car so somebody could get out last night and no issues, I go to start the car this morning and nothing, like a dead battery but its not. Seems kinda like a ground issue since it cannot be jumped. Hard to explain what its doing but I did find a video that looks like it almost exactly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfVy3Arsvs
Anything I could do myself? not trying to go to a dealership and pay big bucks.
SIDE NOTE: The key gets locked in the ignition if I try and start it, until I try and jump it and it just clicks.

luckymoi
06-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Did you try a jumpstart?

streetsurfer
06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Did you check your battery voltage and both cable clamps for a tight clean connection? If you find less than 12.5 volts, clean and tighten the clamps, charge the battery. If battery is fully charged, there may be a condition in the starter or solenoid where an electrical connection contact ring has split. Saw one mention of that somewhere, but I’ve not been into the starter or solenoid on hese 500s to explain it any better, than maybe being the contact ring part of the switching in the starter drive system. I think it was an intermittent failure to start from no current to the starter in that case.

KellyfromVA
06-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Hello, new to the forum, I used to own a 2003 Honda Pilot and now a 2012 Fiat 500 (Think its the EZ model)
Has been working fine no issues, went to move the car so somebody could get out last night and no issues, I go to start the car this morning and nothing, like a dead battery but its not. Seems kinda like a ground issue since it cannot be jumped. Hard to explain what its doing but I did find a video that looks like it almost exactly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfVy3Arsvs
Anything I could do myself? not trying to go to a dealership and pay big bucks.
SIDE NOTE: The key gets locked in the ignition if I try and start it, until I try and jump it and it just clicks.

Warmer temperatures kill batteries, but if you've confirmed your battery is okay: Remove the battery and battery tray. All the electrical grounds are below the tray on studs welded to the 'frame'. Remove and clean all ground connections until shiny, including a smaller wire on it's own post and nut (dash instruments ground) and the strap between the main ground and transmission. Don't just visually inspect them because they will appear fine, until you physically remove them and discover white corrosion on the terminals and washers. Clean both sides of each connection until shiny metal then after reassembly and tightening, coat them with grease to protect.

You'll be amazed how things settle down and work like they should.