PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on the best way to handle this

Rylinkus
06-26-2018, 06:05 PM
2012 fiat 500.
-60k miles

Anyway, needs brakes all around, rear suspension, rear wheel bearings, a bunch of random lights, and I suspect there maybe be a transmission issue (5 speed).

At the moment I cant do repairs myself. So I'm at the get rid of the car point. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to get rid of it? Its 2 hours away from me ATM

Rylinkus
07-01-2018, 09:22 PM
No one wants the thing? I figured someone who actually xam turn wrench might put it on the road cheaply.

Tweak
07-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Unless you want to take a big loss (usually) most people have a hard time getting rid of their Fiats. They are fun and generally good cars but they sadly hold little value.

Hopefully, you figure something out, CarMax is always an option of course but they won't likely give you much either.

texanbrit
07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
What does "a bunch of random lights" mean? Check engine light? Or exterior bulbs?

I think you are close to upside down in repairs at this point. You might get a couple of grand from someone prepared to do the work themselves, but there are not many of those or at least many of those that will take on a car that needs some fairly major work.

Rylinkus
07-02-2018, 01:00 PM
What does "a bunch of random lights" mean? Check engine light? Or exterior bulbs?

I think you are close to upside down in repairs at this point. You might get a couple of grand from someone prepared to do the work themselves, but there are not many of those or at least many of those that will take on a car that needs some fairly major work.

As far as the lights go I think it's just exterior and such. I dont believe the CEL is on. I can find out. And I wasn't looking for a few grand. I was more hoping that someone would toss me 500 bucks or so and put it back on the road.

I understand the depreciation of the car. My wife wanted me to fix it, as it's her DD. But I cant do the work myself at the moment, which makes repairs more costly.

MrFiat
07-02-2018, 08:37 PM
As far as the lights go I think it's just exterior and such. I dont believe the CEL is on. I can find out. And I wasn't looking for a few grand. I was more hoping that someone would toss me 500 bucks or so and put it back on the road.

I understand the depreciation of the car. My wife wanted me to fix it, as it's her DD. But I cant do the work myself at the moment, which makes repairs more costly.

Have you considered offering it to one of the high schools, trade schools, or adult ed programs to do the work for you? Often these places look for projects to give the students some hands-on experience. These places tend to be well supervised and the results generally quite good. Our local BOCES even helps with the cost of parts. It's usually a very good deal if you're not in a hurry to get it back.

Aside from the possible transmission issues, the problems you're describing are not all that difficult for these places to repair. Just a thought.

Good luck with it, whatever you do. (btw -- where is it located?)