PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

2014-500L
05-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Hey everyone

My check engine light popped on today. Ran my obd tool and came back with P0299 - Turbocharger under boost and P0456 - Evaporative emission leak detected (very small leak). I cleared them and they didnít come back on. Any obvious reasons this may have come on? Photo snapped from my obd tool attached.

KellyfromVA
05-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Hey everyone

My check engine light popped on today. Ran my obd tool and came back with P0299 - Turbocharger under boost and P0456 - Evaporative emission leak detected (very small leak). I cleared them and they didn’t come back on. Any obvious reasons this may have come on? Photo snapped from my obd tool attached.

If you recently filled up before getting the code, check your gas cap to make sure it is on tight. If it is and you get that code again, try replacing the gas cap.

WileyCoyote
07-03-2018, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone

My check engine light popped on today. Ran my obd tool and came back with P0299 - Turbocharger under boost and P0456 - Evaporative emission leak detected (very small leak). I cleared them and they didn’t come back on. Any obvious reasons this may have come on? Photo snapped from my obd tool attached.

Welcome to P0299 hell. On mine, the computer will limit the boost to 5 psi or less without throwing a code (just makes cruise unavailable) then minutes later throw the code telling me I have an underboost (no **** computer you cut the boost). Only really does it during hotter months and no real other connections. If you’re gutsy, you can turn the car off (In Neutral if your moving) quickly and turn it back on and the lack of boost should clear. As for the other code, dunno. My ‘14 doesn’t have a gas cap but idk about other years.

2014-500L
07-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Interesting. It has done it 3 more times now, and you can feel the car is drastically under powered. And to your point about it dropping boost prior to the check engine light coming on, my obd tool shows that code throws before the light comes on. I clear it with the tool each time and its back to normal. My '14 does not have a gas cap either.

OnTheFenceAbarth
07-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Did you ever have this looked at or are you just clearing the code and continuing to drive it? I've got a 2013 Abarth with just under 39k miles and I just popped a P0299.

WileyCoyote
07-24-2018, 11:34 AM
I have personally never asked a dealer or mechanic about it. In my case it only happens 3 months of the year (hottest 3) and then I don’t have the issue. Plus, now that I have figured out how to see when boost cuts without throwing the code and reset it before it throws it, i’m not too concerned with paying for a diagnosis. A family member said I should check to see if it’s vapor locking, which he thinks makes sense with the “during the hot months” portion of my issue but I just replaced my radiator so I’m holding off on something “less” serious.

Klasse Act
07-24-2018, 07:45 PM
This happened to me a couple weeks ago when we hit upper 90's but I let the car sit while I was eating dinner, went back down there, started the car, the CEL was on but upon the drive....full boost! After a couple cycles the light turned itself off. I did have the low boost one time after that with NO CEL but after it sat, everything was fine, very finicky, very Italian so I hear, LOL!

WileyCoyote
08-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Food for thought on this issue. What is the MAP sensor (Turbo Boost Sensor) is shorting when it reaches a certain temp and because the sensor isnt reporting pressure the computer limits the boost. Then when trying to accelerate, the engine senses it should have boost but doesn’t so it throws the P0299. Time to check out the sensor.