PDA

View Full Version : Traded in my Abarth for a 124 Classica

Daytona 500
04-12-2018, 09:12 PM

124 Spider from Hendrick FIAT, Cary NC.
Wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct.
Scenery from RT 129 in Tennessee.

rustbucket
04-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Congrats on the 124!!!- it's gorgeous and it looks like it's in its element. And as Ms. Julie says, "Red IS the fastest color".

Daytona 500
04-15-2018, 12:04 AM
Congrats on the 124!!!- it's gorgeous and it looks like it's in its element. And as Ms. Julie says, "Red IS the fastest color".

Cant disagree with that. Thanks for the compliment. I miss my Abarth, but I am liking the 124, have to say.

rustbucket
04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Curious as to what you miss about the Abarth vs the 124? I've been considering an Abarth for some time but have had to put it on the back burner thanks to some unplanned expenses. Still love my '13 500 Sport but the Abarth takes most everything I love about my Sport and puts it on steroids (I've test driven a couple). Recently though, the 124 Spider has attracted my attention- to me it's one of cars where pictures don't really do it justice ... your rosso and gold wheel combo looks killer. I've seen some 2017 124 Classica's at a price little more than an Abarth but haven't done anything than sit in one for the time being... we shall see. I'm chalking it all up to a midlife crisis (I turn 65 this year). :)

Ando
04-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Yesss! I'm not the only nut running bronze rims on Rosso. Looks great, congrats and enjoy!

Ando
04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
Curious as to what you miss about the Abarth vs the 124?

I know that I would primarily miss the sound. Going from a hot city runabout to a sexy roadster you would expect the sound to get better, not worse. Even the A124 is more "mature" sounding than the A500. That's not to say I'm not incredibly jealous.

Fiat500USA
04-16-2018, 09:35 PM

124 Spider from Hendrick FIAT, Cary NC.
Wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct.
Scenery from RT 129 in Tennessee.

Looks great! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

Daytona 500
04-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Curious as to what you miss about the Abarth vs the 124? I've been considering an Abarth for some time but have had to put it on the back burner thanks to some unplanned expenses. Still love my '13 500 Sport but the Abarth takes most everything I love about my Sport and puts it on steroids (I've test driven a couple). Recently though, the 124 Spider has attracted my attention- to me it's one of cars where pictures don't really do it justice ... your rosso and gold wheel combo looks killer. I've seen some 2017 124 Classica's at a price little more than an Abarth but haven't done anything than sit in one for the time being... we shall see. I'm chalking it all up to a midlife crisis (I turn 65 this year). :)

Hey Rusbucket,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I went from a 12 Sport to my Rosso Abarth. As small as the Abarth is, it still more practical then the 124 in a few ways. The hatch, back seat, glove box, easier to get in and out are just a few. Plus I was just attached to that little car, the same way I was attached to my Sport.
With that said, The Spider is an all around more refined car. Nicer interior, 6 speed -v- 5 speed, rear drive, tighter turning radius, and push button start, to name a few, but it goes farther than that. You really have to drive the car to truly appreciate it. A test drive probably wont suffice for most people, as a test drive will only net you the realization that the car is different, you know what I mean ? Until you are comfortable with the car will you realize the positive differences between the 500 and 124. It handles great out of the box, the acceleration is much smoother, the shifter is a nice tight short throw, and the driving position is more like a race car. I will tell you, I liked the car at first, but as I got up past 5 and 600 miles I really got comfortable with the car and the "differences" turned into improvements. Things that separated the 2 cars became better instead of just different, if that makes sense.
Now lets get into the nuts and bolts. I have been in the automotive business in one form or another all my life. If you look at my sig you will see the Abarth was fully bolted and tuned with an Open Flash Tablet. This allowed me to make adjustments to stage 1 and 2 tunes. I will tell you under no uncertain terms, the 124 responds better to modifications then the Abarth. A turbo back exhaust and a modified air intake made a noticeable differance in the acceleration of a car that allready had better acceleration. The Abarth had limiters written in the tune at each gear, 1-5. Speaking with a tuner at the Dragon I was told that these limiters are not written the program for the 124. This it why the numbers are similar, HP/TQ, but this car is soo much smoother and as mentioned, responds better to modifications.
The aftermarket has embraced the car with several exhaust, intake, tune and suspension options. I fabricate my own exhaust and was looking for a deep European sound. Being a vert, I didnt want the car loud or raspy. One thing I would recommend is make sure you can get in and out of the car on a daily basis. It is a bit more challenging and you wont enjoy the car if it is a PITA to get in and out of even if it is not a daily driver.
Last thing, I dont believe there is any such thing as a "mid life crises". It sounds like a term coined by less than pleasant women. At this point in my life I view most things differently. I appreciate things in a different way then I did when I was younger, and I dont take tomorrow for granted. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had.
I wouldn't call that a crisis at all, lol.
Hope this helps and if you have specific questions feel free to ask.
T

Daytona 500
04-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Looks great! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

Hey 500,
As you may remember I was on the fence about the 124 and FIAT as a whole. I was very close to a deal on a Mustang Eco Boost, but something was missing. Car for car the options were similar and they each had their strong points. The Mustang was actually more practical, sooo, why hadnt I bought the Mustang ? I came to the realization, I am just way more passionate about these cars than any other. The heritage, the colors they come in, the design, and of course being an Italian car company was a big push for me. So I gave my FIAT dealer one last shot, and they came through.

On another note wanted to say thanks for being one of the sponsors of FIAT on the Dragon again this year. The weather wasnt the best but a good time was had by all and the cars and company were top notch. Bret and his crew always do a great job with this event.

Daytona 500
04-19-2018, 08:52 PM
Yesss! I'm not the only nut running bronze rims on Rosso. Looks great, congrats and enjoy!

No you are not ! Had Bronze on my Abarth also. Love the look. Got a lot of compliments at the Dragon also.
Thanks,
T

opiateESP
04-19-2018, 08:57 PM
I missed my 500 for a couple weeks but the 124 is a purpose built car. Once you learn to use what it has... it’s an amazing experience. I love my A124. No regrets.

Daytona 500
04-19-2018, 10:13 PM
I missed my 500 for a couple weeks but the 124 is a purpose built car. Once you learn to use what it has... it’s an amazing experience. I love my A124. No regrets.

Hey brother, it was good meeting you Saturday on the Triangle. Definitely enjoyed talking with John from Tork also.

opiateESP
04-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Hey brother, it was good meeting you Saturday on the Triangle. Definitely enjoyed talking with John from Tork also.

Likewise! That was one crazy day! The Devil's Triangle is just bonkers at points.

Southernroadrunner
04-20-2018, 01:44 AM
Likewise! That was one crazy day! The Devil's Triangle is just bonkers at points.

How many miles did u run from BC round trip till you got back ??

opiateESP
04-20-2018, 01:49 PM
How many miles did u run from BC round trip till you got back ??

Hit a snag on the way home. Nothing major but required insurance work so the car is still there. I'll be flying back down to finish the trip when it's done. The drive from Vancouver to Knoxville was about 2800 miles. I'm taking a longer route back to see some sights.

Robert Nixon
04-20-2018, 09:13 PM
congrats on the spider!

stubtail
04-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Hey Rusbucket,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I went from a 12 Sport to my Rosso Abarth. As small as the Abarth is, it still more practical then the 124 in a few ways. The hatch, back seat, glove box, easier to get in and out are just a few. Plus I was just attached to that little car, the same way I was attached to my Sport.
With that said, The Spider is an all around more refined car. Nicer interior, 6 speed -v- 5 speed, rear drive, tighter turning radius, and push button start, to name a few, but it goes farther than that. You really have to drive the car to truly appreciate it. A test drive probably wont suffice for most people, as a test drive will only net you the realization that the car is different, you know what I mean ? Until you are comfortable with the car will you realize the positive differences between the 500 and 124. It handles great out of the box, the acceleration is much smoother, the shifter is a nice tight short throw, and the driving position is more like a race car. I will tell you, I liked the car at first, but as I got up past 5 and 600 miles I really got comfortable with the car and the "differences" turned into improvements. Things that separated the 2 cars became better instead of just different, if that makes sense.
Now lets get into the nuts and bolts. I have been in the automotive business in one form or another all my life. If you look at my sig you will see the Abarth was fully bolted and tuned with an Open Flash Tablet. This allowed me to make adjustments to stage 1 and 2 tunes. I will tell you under no uncertain terms, the 124 responds better to modifications then the Abarth. A turbo back exhaust and a modified air intake made a noticeable differance in the acceleration of a car that allready had better acceleration. The Abarth had limiters written in the tune at each gear, 1-5. Speaking with a tuner at the Dragon I was told that these limiters are not written the program for the 124. This it why the numbers are similar, HP/TQ, but this car is soo much smoother and as mentioned, responds better to modifications.
The aftermarket has embraced the car with several exhaust, intake, tune and suspension options. I fabricate my own exhaust and was looking for a deep European sound. Being a vert, I didnt want the car loud or raspy. One thing I would recommend is make sure you can get in and out of the car on a daily basis. It is a bit more challenging and you wont enjoy the car if it is a PITA to get in and out of even if it is not a daily driver.
Last thing, I dont believe there is any such thing as a "mid life crises". It sounds like a term coined by less than pleasant women. At this point in my life I view most things differently. I appreciate things in a different way then I did when I was younger, and I dont take tomorrow for granted. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had.
I wouldn't call that a crisis at all, lol.
Hope this helps and if you have specific questions feel free to ask.
T

Coming from a 500T, I completely agree with you assessment.

Two very different cars. I hope to own another 500 someday but the 124 is not producing any regrets. Both are fun cars but just different flavors.

Daytona 500, do you plan on going with the Open Flash tune for your 124? That is the direction I am leaning.

https://i.imgur.com/MjRhOJzl.jpg?1

Daytona 500
04-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Coming from a 500T, I completely agree with you assessment.

Two very different cars. I hope to own another 500 someday but the 124 is not producing any regrets. Both are fun cars but just different flavors.

Daytona 500, do you plan on going with the Open Flash tune for your 124? That is the direction I am leaning.

https://i.imgur.com/MjRhOJzl.jpg?1

stubtail,
Hey, Sharp color. This car really wears all the colors very well, you know ?
I have a message out to Shiv and am waiting to hear back. I know he and his wife just had a baby so I can imagine they are busy adjusting. Once I speak with him to examine options I will decide. I like the Open Flash Tablet because you have the option to self tune. I have tuned with Uni Chip, COBB, Delta Force (formerly Sniper), and Open Flash. I would not call my self a tuner, but as a drive-ability mechanic I know where to go, what to look for, and what to change, but like I said I would not call my self a tuner. Guys like Gregg at Eurocompulsion, John @ Tork, Shiv @ Open Flash, Cobb, or any of the others, are masters at their trade. I just love to be able to tweak things in the tune for my mods, and my driving style.

If I dont stay with Open Flash I will sell the tablet in the classifieds and look at Eurocompulsion or Tork. I talked with John at the Dragon this year at great length, like 2 hours total. I had been a customer of his when I had my Speed 3. A couple years ago at the Dragon James from the forum (Tweak) introduced me to all the guys at Eurocompulsion. At the time they had just moved from the Unichip. They helped me with some good advice regarding the tables while tuning with Unichip software. They were way more helpful then any one at Unichip, that I can tell you.
So hows that for an answer, way more than you asked for at no additional charge.

So what are your plans ? Exhaust, tune, intake, FMIC, etc...
T

stubtail
04-21-2018, 02:00 PM
stubtail,
Hey, Sharp color. This car really wears all the colors very well, you know ?
I have a message out to Shiv and am waiting to hear back. I know he and his wife just had a baby so I can imagine they are busy adjusting. Once I speak with him to examine options I will decide. I like the Open Flash Tablet because you have the option to self tune. I have tuned with Uni Chip, COBB, Delta Force (formerly Sniper), and Open Flash. I would not call my self a tuner, but as a drive-ability mechanic I know where to go, what to look for, and what to change, but like I said I would not call my self a tuner. Guys like Gregg at Eurocompulsion, John @ Tork, Shiv @ Open Flash, Cobb, or any of the others, are masters at their trade. I just love to be able to tweak things in the tune for my mods, and my driving style.

If I dont stay with Open Flash I will sell the tablet in the classifieds and look at Eurocompulsion or Tork. I talked with John at the Dragon this year at great length, like 2 hours total. I had been a customer of his when I had my Speed 3. A couple years ago at the Dragon James from the forum (Tweak) introduced me to all the guys at Eurocompulsion. At the time they had just moved from the Unichip. They helped me with some good advice regarding the tables while tuning with Unichip software. They were way more helpful then any one at Unichip, that I can tell you.
So hows that for an answer, way more than you asked for at no additional charge.

So what are your plans ? Exhaust, tune, intake, FMIC, etc...
T

My plans are get a tune and be done for the most part. Already have in place custom GWR/Autoricambi mash-up exhaust, V4 cai, progress tech springs, GFB, catch-can, wheels/tires and some pretty bits. I would do the the EC tune but the re-licensing for resale(on any product) is BS. Also so many guys getting their throttle enhancer, wtf. I would expect the tune would have that taken care of.
I have no interest in self-tuning and was an early adopter of the ec unichip. :freak:

Daytona 500
04-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Look at Goodwin Racing Brian did some dyno pulls with a cross pipe they designed. They got some good results with their design, and posted here I think. The factory pipe is definitely a choke point. see pic below
I designed and bent my exhaust from the cat back and it definitely made a difference in the way the turbo spools up. The bad thing about his pipe is you cant use it with the factory mid pipe, you have to use their exhaust I believe.
I hear ya on the fees for switching vin's for the programmer. It adds up quick. If I cant or dont use my Open Flash I can sell it to another Abarth owner with the stage 1&2 tunes and start from scratch.
Any way, good luck !