PDA

View Full Version : 2014 500L Turbocharger/Running Issue

jdsando73
04-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Hey, all fellow L-drivers:

Just swapped out my last 2014 500L Lounge DDCT for worry of future issues with the trans. Went with another 2014 500L 6 Speed manual with 43k on it, a steal at $9.5k. However, I did not purchase it from a FIAT dealer, but a CDJR dealer in Columbus, OH. No warranty from the dealer, but retains its FIAT Factory 50K/5YR.

So here's some background. Salesman went to start it and it was dead as a doornail. Jumpstarted it and it ran great, no drain issues since. Upon preliminary drive, I took it fairly-gingerly, not really being familiar with the Fiat stick (used to MINIs and VWs). No troubles.

I get it home from Columbus, a 2 hour freeway drive, and it runs seemingly fine, other than a slight left-pull.

But I leave again that evening for a short drive and really lay into it to see what it's got in comparison to the old DDCT- it reaches the beginnings of spool and it fumbles all over the place, jerking and waffling until I back off the gas. You can't even hear the turbo wind up, unlike my last auto. If I don't exceed maybe 50% TP, it runs smooth as silk, even at idle. no MIL, no codes, not even history codes. Just jerks all over when you lay hard past 2,000RPM. otherwise I can accelerate to 3,500 without engaging boost and it runs great. Feels like a boost pressure control problem, but no codes indicating that.

I've read of turbo wastegate valves sticking on these, and that was my first thought... I reset all memory/learn procedures in the ECM to no avail.

If anyone has had similar issues, please chime in. When you don't have DTC's to point you anywhere, its maddening.

Thanks!

-JD

Southernroadrunner
04-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the group big don't have an answer for your issue sorry.

akcapfiat
04-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Consider cross-posting in the Abarth forum, only because its mostly the same setup, and chances are someone there might have run across this same problem.

jdsando73
04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Consider cross-posting in the Abarth forum, only because its mostly the same setup, and chances are someone there might have run across this same problem.

Good call. I'll do that!

jdsando73
04-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Problem Solved!

To anyone who may come up against this misfire issue, it was a simple fix in my case.
It has 44k miles on it now, and plugs are due per maintenance schedule at 40k, to my understanding. Apparently that was for a reason.
Replaced the plugs with new laser iridium plugs (a whopping $11.99 apiece, unfortunately) and the turbo-range misfire disappeared, and it doesn't miss a beat.

So to anyone with a 500L- save yourself the stress and change your plugs at 40k!