Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Nice white Abarth at the 2023 Fiat Freakout

New Milano to Junior!" mixes history and marketing strategy in an interesting way.​

It sounds like it could be a transmission issue or a problem from the car sitting for a while. It's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out.

The Start of the Addiction

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ando
    Enthusiastically Slow
    Lifetime Member
    • Nov 2016

The Start of the Addiction

I've connected with my local AutoX club and spectated a practice/just for fun event this weekend. So far it is a really friendly and welcoming group of people. User Mr.Bob on this forum used to race with them but I don't think he does anymore, everyone I talked to was excited to see a FIAT.

The space they use most often is a closed road course used for police training, it has a couple different types of pavement to keep you on your toes and a tiny bit of elevation. It looked like a total blast.

So... what advice would you give a total newb going into AutoX for the first time with an Abarth? Here's the list in my head:

1.) Focus on the nut behind the wheel
    2.) Learn good habits, speed will follow
    3.) Maybe invest in better tires
    4.) Get on the course, practice, practice, practice

Not sure what class I'll be in once out of Novice, I believe piggyback + chassis bracing kicks me out of stock. That's a long ways away regardless.
  • Robert Nixon

Congrats on checking out autocross, you won't regret it!

For the first time you have a great list, although you don't need better tires right away, but they do help!

For the first time driving I think the best thing to do is to have an experienced person ride along to both help you stay on course and pick up some driving tips. Also very helpful, ask if you can ride along when someone else drives, because then you will see live and in person how the better drivers operate. For me that was a big light bulb moment at my first autocross, one of the other guys drove my Abarth and I had no idea that the car could maneuver and brake so quickly. What a blast!

The other things to do are to walk the course, typically most clubs will have a Novice course walk, and that's another way to get tips on how to approach your driving, but mostly to get the course in your head so you stay on course while driving. It looks super easy when you walk it several times, but while driving it comes much quicker, so walk the course.

Make sure you are dressed to be outside all day, so sunscreen, water, food, hat, all go a long way to making it more comfortable, and rain gear if it's going to be wet since autocross goes rain or shine.

I can't wait to hear how you do and!
    2013 Rosso Abarth with 68K miles, Koni yellow shocks, Madness springs, Neu-f rear sway bar, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, DOT4 brake fluid, K&N air filter, autocross 17 inch Ciao Milano wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE71R, daily wheels stock 16 inch Dunlop DZ102. 2017 1st place HS Tidewater Sports Car Club: 2016-2015 1st Place TSCC GS class; 2014-2013: 2nd place in SCCA South Carolina Region G Stock.
    My Car blog: http://www.nms-racing.net/

Comment

• Ando
      Enthusiastically Slow
      Lifetime Member
      • Nov 2016

Thanks for your response Mr Nixon.

My first event was 4/29 and I was soooo slow! Plenty of the novice class had issues with getting lost so I was at least happy to record times. I dropped 9 seconds in my first set of runs but still wasn't pushing hard enough (lifting where people with 400HP cars were flat) and giving the cones waaaay too much respect.

HERE is a video of the fastest time from the day if you want to see the course. I thought it was a lot of fun. This pavement constantly breaks up and is completely covered in tiny gravel pieces, which is a great equalizer. One driver was even running all-seasons on front and winters on the rear (bizarre).

I had a ton of fun though I wish my first event hadn't been a competitive event. I took instructors along for 5 of my 6 runs (there were none available for the first run of the afternoon) and got major kudos for wanting a ride-along on my last run of a session. I wish I had done some ride-alongs myself but didn't want to push my luck with the Minnesota Nice.

I walked the course twice on my own and once with the guided novice tour, but my memory just doesn't work like that and next event I will be sure to sketch out the course on a notepad to study.

Coming up is a practice event where you can take as many runs as possible within a time slot. I've already got a number of people lined up who have volunteered to have me ride-along and a couple who might be interested in driving my car. This is shaping up to be some really great learning. Beyond that I am also signed up for a Novice school where we go through a classroom day, learn about car prep and tuning, and are promised 20ish runs with instructors on the second day! I'm trying to convince my wife to come play with us in her Cooper S.

So that's it... I'm obscenely slow right now, but plenty of opportunity to put the hammer down and get faster coming up in the next month.
      Last edited by Ando; 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment