PDA

View Full Version : Abarth News

RacerRon
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Today I talked to the general manager of my local Fiat dealer and asked her if she had any news about the U.S. Abarth version? She said there is a completed drivable Abarth that several dealers got to see and drive. I don't know where this took place but my guess would be at the Chrysler proving grounds. No pictures were allowed and everyone's cell phone was collected before the car was shown. No one can talk about any details about the car either.

My guess is that this a a pre-production car being used for testing. Chris, have you heard anything about this?

fredfrey
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
My dealer told me he test drove an Abarth in Detroit at one of the dealers meetings. It could have just been a Euro version for all we know.

RacerRon
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
OK, if it was the Euro version, why no pictures allowed and the secrecy?

CaliberSRT4
04-04-2011, 11:02 PM
author="RacerRon">
OK, if it was the Euro version, why no pictures allowed and the secrecy?

Agreed. There wouldn't be confidentiality if it wasn't changed in some way.

Fiat500USA
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
author="RacerRon">
Today I talked to the general manager of my local Fiat dealer and asked her if she had any news about the U.S. Abarth version? She said there is a completed drivable Abarth that several dealers got to see and drive. I don't know where this took place but my guess would be at the Chrysler proving grounds. No pictures were allowed and everyone's cell phone was collected before the car was shown. No one can talk about any details about the car either.

My guess is that this a a pre-production car being used for testing. Chris, have you heard anything about this?

Let me see.... Well, one thing to always remember when dealing with Marchionne's company is everything is TOP SECRET. They also don't mention ANYTHING about upcoming models because they don't want to steal the thunder from current offerings/releases.

So after saying that, the thing to watch for on the Abarth is:

1) How the third load path works with the twin intercoolers (and transmission choices) on the Abarth.
2) How they will market the upgraded HP on the MultiAir Turbo. A standard 150hp and an optional esseesse version?

The next thing is a heads up....

From a good source, don't expect to wander down to a Fiat dealer next week and put a deposit in advance to get a car. These cars will be in extreme demand AND have limited availability. The person, who works for the company, has doubts even they will be able to get a car.

These way in advance deposits don't guarantee a car... We'll have to see what happens with this...

RacerRon
04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Chris, thanks for your insight on this. I understand about the "top secret' part. Every car company doesn't want details of their new car leaked until they are ready to reveal it.

I expect the Abarth to tlook about the same as the Euro version on the outside (with the USA changes). Just like you said Chris, it's the engine, transmission, and marketing choices that will have us guessing for awhile. I guess we will just have to wait, wait, wait.

I just hope average guys like me don't have to wait 2 years to get our hands on one.

5*(10)^2
04-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Abarth is the gem. But from the way things are handled with the PEs, both Fiat and the dealerships still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm trying not to diss the Toluca plant but the QC could need some work too. Just the thought of the Abarth being manufactured there give me the creeps.

Assuming it is arriving sometime in 2012, that should give them enough time to make the necessary improvements.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
author="RacerRon">
.... I just hope average guys like me don't have to wait 2 years to get our hands on one.

Yep, I agree. I'm not Jay Leno, so I may be driving my PE longer than I thought, but what the heck, you see what happens when you want to be first! LOL

Fiat500USA
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
author="5*(10)^2">
Abarth is the gem. But from the way things are handled with the PEs, both Fiat and the dealerships still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm trying not to diss the Toluca plant but the QC could need some work too. Just the thought of the Abarth being manufactured there give me the creeps.

Assuming it is arriving sometime in 2012, that should give them enough time to make the necessary improvements.

I think offering a special edition car AND rolling out a new dealer network just really pushed the limits of what could be done. With the network in place, I'm hoping the next special editions will be a lot smoother.

sonicsby5
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
"2) How they will market the upgraded HP on the MultiAir Turbo"

I'm still wondering how they will market the current 500 - since there doesn't appear to be any marketing whatsoever.

sonicsby5
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
About the Toluca plant, my wife and I owned a 2001 PT Cruiser built there. It was pretty late in the first year of production when ours finally rolled off the line, but I have to say, in the 9 years and 98K miles that we owned that car, everything worked and nothing every broke. We made zero repairs other than wear out items (brakes and tires).

So I think the Toluca plant will get it together. We're early in the production run, they'll figure it out. Other than an intermittently failing USB port, our Prima has no other defects and 1200 super fun miles, so far so good! I couldn't be happier.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
author="sonicsby5">
About the Toluca plant, my wife and I owned a 2001 PT Cruiser built there. It was pretty late in the first year of production when ours finally rolled off the line, but I have to say, in the 9 years and 98K miles that we owned that car, everything worked and nothing every broke. We made zero repairs other than wear out items (brakes and tires).

So I think the Toluca plant will get it together. We're early in the production run, they'll figure it out. Other than an intermittently failing USB port, our Prima has no other defects and 1200 super fun miles, so far so good! I couldn't be happier.

That sounds great, so I'm hopeful. The marketing will begin possibly this month. That was the plan as of Dec 2010. With the delays getting the dealers up and running, we'll have to see how that impacts that time frame.

RacerRon
04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't think that Fiat should do a big advertising campaign just yet. They can't say "run right down to the your local dealer and pick up a 500", when there are only about 30 studios open in the U.S. right now.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
author="RacerRon">
I don't think that Fiat should do a big advertising campaign just yet. They can't say "run right down to the your local dealer and pick up a 500", when there are only about 30 studios open in the U.S. right now.

Agreed.<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

lirandy
04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
author="RacerRon">

Well, I guess they have achieved the first step advertising the car - having us to talk about this car days and nights, and when people around us see our cars, we naturally kinda "advertise" the Fiat 500 to those people. By the time more studios have opened in U.S, they would already have certain amount of people know about the 500.

fiatgal
04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
author="lirandy">
. . .

Well, I guess they have achieved the first step advertising the car - having us to talk about this car days and nights, and when people around us see our cars, we naturally kinda "advertise" the Fiat 500 to those people. By the time more studios have opened in U.S, they would already have certain amount of people know about the 500.

I know! I've been a walking advertisement for the past three years.

I agree that they should take time (to the Toluca QC folks: "take your time on my order!") and not rush. Better to create an (impatient) buzz than blow the roll-out. Plus... everyone likes things that are a bit mysterious. Much more desirable. I know of a shoe company that refuses to let anyone post pictures of their shoes online. Their shoes are very sought after!

Dennislee
04-18-2011, 10:29 PM
So I don`t sound stupid.....Is it pronounced AHHHHHBARTH, or AAAAAAAAABARTH?

Thanks
DennisLee

Fiat500USA
04-20-2011, 01:25 AM
author="Dennislee">

Thanks
DennisLee

Good question. The corect way is AHHBARTH. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
04-20-2011, 01:35 AM
<quote author="fredfrey">
My dealer told me he test drove an Abarth in Detroit at one of the dealers meetings. It could have just been a Euro version for all we know.
</quote>

I have a Friend who is driving the Euro version esseesse right now. It's an evaluation car (of course there could be some goodies for us in there that he's not at the liberty to tell us) and it's awesome.

My guess is look for Abarth specific news to wards the end of the year.

Giallo Edizione
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
author="Fiat500USA">

author="Dennislee">

Thanks
DennisLee

Good question. The corect way is AHHBARTH. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

with the accent on the barth, right?

and exactly how would a proper Itialian pronounce that?

sjmst
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
author="lirandy">

author="RacerRon">

And then don't forget the part where we get all worked up based upon rumor, then get pissed when Fiat is not fast enough to get done what we thought they were going to do based on rumor, made worse by their own information lines which don't have information...don't forget that...<smiley image='smiley_wink.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Talked to the gentleman in charge of Abarth development yesterday. Of course, everything is top secret, BUT what I can say is... LOOK OUT... it will be one bad ass car... very hard core.

Giallo Edizione
04-23-2011, 10:57 AM
author="Fiat500USA">
Talked to the gentleman in charge of Abarth development yesterday. Of course, everything is top secret, BUT what I can say is... LOOK OUT... it will be one bad ass car... very hard core.

Hard core R us.

Fiat500USA
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
author="Giallo Edizione">

author="Fiat500USA">

Hard core R us.

The Chrysler guys know how to do performance... This will be good... very good...

Giallo Edizione
04-23-2011, 02:12 PM
author="Fiat500USA">

author="Fiat500USA">

Hard core R us.

The Chrysler guys know how to do performance... This will be good... very good...

Abarth SRT4. Oh yeah.

CaliberSRT4
04-23-2011, 03:00 PM

author="Fiat500USA">

author="Fiat500USA">

Hard core R us.

Abarth SRT4. Oh yeah.

Sign me up! <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

SpidArman
04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Just please tell me that it will be a proper 6 speed manual transmission...

I am ready to plunk down my deposit if it is...

Arman

ciddyguy
04-23-2011, 06:27 PM
author="SpidArman">

Arman

One of the problems is that the Abarth is based on the standard 500, even if for N. America so unless it's far enough along to get the next iteration of the 500, it might be stuck with the 5spd as the regular car was modified from its Euro specs to fit the specifications required for the US as a cross member (required) prevented them from even offering the 6spd manual here for now as it would not fit, but their 5spd did.

I understand the next iteration of the car, due in mid 2012 as a 2013 model the last I heard will be designed FOR both N. America AND Europe so they'll be nearly identical as the specs for N. America will be used worldwide, along with the current chassis, which is based off the NEW Panda that debuts this year in Europe and if that's the case then the 6spd may WELL be offered when the new 500 is offered.

The trick is to see if the Abarth is offered with the new iteration here or what.

Fiat500USA
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
author="SpidArman">

Arman

We'll see... do remember the Euro Abarth has a 5 speed... <smiley image='smiley_wink.gif'/>

jamesday24
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
author="ciddyguy">
I understand the next iteration of the car, due in mid 2012 as a 2013 model the last I heard will be designed FOR both N. America AND Europe so they'll be nearly identical as the specs for N. America will be used worldwide...

Are you saying our 2012 500s will be the first and last year of the first generation 500 in the US and 2013 models will be a new design? That would certainly be strange, if true.

RacerRon
04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
With Chris saying 'hardcore', I'm thinking Euro esseesse with 17 inch wheels and the 170 hp engine.

Fiat500USA
04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
author="RacerRon">
With Chris saying 'hardcore', I'm thinking Euro esseesse with 17 inch wheels and the 170 hp engine.

I want to say something, but I shouldn't <smiley image='smiley_whistling.gif'/>

ciddyguy
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
author="jamesday24">

author="ciddyguy">
I understand the next iteration of the car, due in mid 2012 as a 2013 model the last I heard will be designed FOR both N. America AND Europe so they'll be nearly identical as the specs for N. America will be used worldwide...

Are you saying our 2012 500s will be the first and last year of the first generation 500 in the US and 2013 models will be a new design? That would certainly be strange, if true.

The car we have is, with exception of the chassis is the same as the Euro model in many respects, there is I think a refresh of the body etc and the next iteration model will have the new Panda chassis that we have currently, the Euro car makes do with the original 2003 Panda chassis currently, at least as I understand it from earlier reports from last year.

And when this refresh or whatever it ends up being takes place, the car will debut in the summer of 2012 as a 2013 model and at that point, the car on BOTH sides of the Atlantic will align, much like Honda did with the Fit/Jazz in 2009. When we got the Fit in 2007, they were already 2 years or so into a design cycle and gave us a modified then current design model and then aligned ALL markets for the refresh in 2009 and Fiat is doing much the same.

But this time, Fiat has decided to make the changes made here world wide as they apparently improved the car in ways it needed even if the Euro car as it is now was quite good to begin with.

Hope this clears things up. BTW, Fiat debut the Fiat in July of 2007 as an 08 model.

CaliberSRT4
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
author="ciddyguy">

author="SpidArman">

Arman

One of the problems is that the Abarth is based on the standard 500, even if for N. America so unless it's far enough along to get the next iteration of the 500, it might be stuck with the 5spd as the regular car was modified from its Euro specs to fit the specifications required for the US as a cross member (required) prevented them from even offering the 6spd manual here for now as it would not fit, but their 5spd did.

I understand the next iteration of the car, due in mid 2012 as a 2013 model the last I heard will be designed FOR both N. America AND Europe so they'll be nearly identical as the specs for N. America will be used worldwide, along with the current chassis, which is based off the NEW Panda that debuts this year in Europe and if that's the case then the 6spd may WELL be offered when the new 500 is offered.

The trick is to see if the Abarth is offered with the new iteration here or what.

Yes, the Abarth is based on the standard 500 of course, but many parts are different. The performance versions of cars never use the same transmission as the base model if they are pushing a fair amount of additional power, because the base model transmission wouldn't be able to handle the torque.

The base model Caliber has a 5 speed manual transmission, but my SRT4 edition has a 6 speed.

The likely scenario is that the Abarth will feature a 5 speed, because as Chris said that is what the Euro version has (doesn't seem likely that we would get a 6 speed when Europe only has a 5 speed). They might have space issues as well, but that depends on many things (the Abarth has to fit all the turbo plumbing including intercoolers into the engine bay somewhere as well).

ciddyguy
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
author="CaliberSRT4">

author="ciddyguy">

author="SpidArman">

Arman

Yes, the Abarth is based on the standard 500 of course, but many parts are different. The performance versions of cars never use the same transmission as the base model if they are pushing a fair amount of additional power, because the base model transmission wouldn't be able to handle the torque.

The base model Caliber has a 5 speed manual transmission, but my SRT4 edition has a 6 speed.

The likely scenario is that the Abarth will feature a 5 speed, because as Chris said that is what the Euro version has (doesn't seem likely that we would get a 6 speed when Europe only has a 5 speed). They might have space issues as well, but that depends on many things (the Abarth has to fit all the turbo plumbing including intercoolers into the engine bay somewhere as well).

True about the Abarth modifying the base 500 to make it go fast, well, perhaps <i>super</i> fast as it sounds like we'll get perhaps and I thought they put in a 6spd as I somehow missed that memo about the Abarth using only a 5spd.

I would agree that with the extra load paths, fitting the intercooler etc might get a lil' tricky and the car may WELL be based on the next iteration 500 anyway, which would address many of these additional structural issues from the get go and thus the additional go fast bits necessary from Abarth, rather than be grafted onto an existing car like the current 500.

RacerRon
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
The June issue of Motor Trend magazine has a small article on the upcoming Abarth for the U.S. One interesting thing is the mention of a 6-speed manual gearbox replacement for the current 5-speed. Now, I don't know if C&D has inside information or is just blowing wind.

05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Dare we spill the beans?????

Words like Mito??? Cloverleaf????? 175bhp????? 5spd manual optional DSG?????

Sadly over 30k but what the hell, I put my deposit down a while ago as like you say, a deposit doesnt guarantee a car... BUT no deposit almost certainly guarantees NO car!!!

(I should say Ive a deposit down on a Focus ST too to keep my options open but one way or the other itll be a great 2012 in the garage!!!)

RacerRon
05-04-2011, 12:00 AM
The Ford Focus ST is a good looking car, larger than the 500 of course, but with a lot more hp. But, I still have my sights set on the Abarth.

05-04-2011, 08:26 AM
For me, its all going to be about the price and availability. Both should nudge the $30k mark when specced up , in theory, but I can see at least one heading into the 30s and pricing itself out of the market. Both will be hard to get hold of too. Right now heart saying Abarth, head ST but then the ST will be cheaper to maintain and easier to find dealers to do the work, parts will be easier to get hold of too. The Abarth has more character but issue with the PEs will almost certainly roll over to both the C and the Abarth. Fiat still leaves me a little nervous! Resdiduals on both should be good but as I do around 25000miles a year whatever I get wont be worth much when I sell after 6 years!

Either way both Fiat and Ford are annoying me with the wait and lack of good info on the cars and almost certain both will be delayed from their Spring 2012 release so my trusty Yaris will have to cling on a bit longer. (Must say the Yaris has been EXCELLENT, not a toyota fan but credit where its due its been a great little car).

RacerRon
05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Fidgell, I can understand your concern about the Fiat's reliability in the U.S. Based on the European 500, I think the 500 is well engineered, and it looks like great care as been taken to re-engineer some of the 500 for the U.S. market. I think it comes down to assembly quality. If Fiat doesn't get this right, then Fiat and Chrysler is in a lot of trouble.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2011, 12:11 AM
By the time the Abarth rolls out, all the start up hiccups and bugs will be worked out. There won't be a lot of info on the Abarth because they don't want to steal the thunder from the new cars. We'll have to wait on the news until closer to launch time.

navy48
05-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I disagree. what about those 30 dealers (40 is what I heard)? what 'thanks' do they get for opening on time, on schedule and meeting all of FIAT's demands? none. they have to wait until many more dealers are open to receive any corporate advertising.

I'm sure they're wondering 'why did we spend so much $$ to ensure we opened ON TIME?' no incentives from FIAT.

I even heard that one dealer won't open now until NEXT YEAR. FIAT should pull their approval and offer it to another party. just not fair to those that are playing by the rules and doing all they can to help the mother company out.

Jeepnut
05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I was hoping the Abarth wouldn't be so limited I've been waiting on it to arrive here but honestly I'm starting to lean towards a new Alfa anyway. I can see it now a bright red Alfa Giulietta cloverleaf and a nice Saturday morning at the Tail of the Dragon doesn't get any better

Fiat500USA
05-10-2011, 02:25 AM
I agree with you. Fiat should take care of the dealers that did open on time, that is for sure.

RacerRon
05-11-2011, 06:40 PM
The June issue of <i>Automobile Magazine</i> has a small article about the upcoming Abarth.

"Expect about 160 hp to start, a whopping 60 percent increase over the standard 500, but it'll be about a year from now before you can buy one."

The article didn't mention a 6-speed transmission, so nothing really new that we didn't already know.

05-11-2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.ca.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2012-fiat-500-abarth-quick-spin-review/
FORM A VERY UNORDERLY QUEUE AND GET READY TOCHANGE YOUR PANTS!!!!

SeaDawg
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
author="Fidgell">

Well written article. And for those waiting for the Abarth....WOOHOO!

ciddyguy
05-11-2011, 10:01 PM
author="Fidgell">

Indeed, a very well written article and some good estimations of what we MAY get here.

RacerRon
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Fidgell, thanks for posting this link; had not seen it before. It's a nice article and the video shows that the Abarth is right at home on the race track. Two things I don't like about the test vehicle: I don't like the wheels or the large scorpion decals.

Fiat500USA
05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
author="ciddyguy">

author="Fidgell">

Indeed, a very well written article and some good estimations of what we MAY get here.

I can say our car will really be the evolution of the 2008 Abarth and it will have more performance than the Euro car.

edited to fix midnight grammar;)

spindoc
05-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the link. This article says the Abarth is supposed to come here in late 2012, while previous reports have suggested it should be here next Spring. Hope it's sooner rather than later.

Thad
05-13-2011, 03:32 PM
As of the 500C debut at NYIAS, I was still hearing first quarter 2012.

Fiat500USA
05-14-2011, 01:34 AM
author="Thad">
As of the 500C debut at NYIAS, I was still hearing first quarter 2012.

Here is something interesting: In January, I was at press event with Laura Soave and she mentioned beginning 2012, then in March, when I was at Criswell, someone asked her and I noticed she didn't say the beginning of 2012, but just smiled and said next year. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe they are just keeping their cards close to their chest. We'll see...

Terry
05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi Chris et al,

Today's Chicago Trib sez the Abarth will have 160-170 bhp and will be introduced in first half of 2012.

Chris, your pricing speculation on the 500 was pretty close to what it turned out to be, any thoughts on the price of the Abarth and what do you think the transmission choices will be given the extra front end crash protection that will be required?

(Beginning to salivate a bit here!)

Terry

RacerRon
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm hoping the Abarth is offered with Fiat's DuaLogic gearbox, which is a sequential manual gearbox. It comes in the 180 hp racing version of the 500. This is different than what is offered in the 500 Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari car. That one uses a an MTA (Manual Transmission Automatic) gearbox with a flappy paddle shifter.

Jeepnut
05-18-2011, 07:58 AM
It was leaked earlier today by a VERY! Reliable source in Chrysler Gucci will be Q4 2011 Abarth will be Q1 2012

MrFiat
05-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Reality Bites! Pity the new Abarth might be difficult to get. I have been SOOOO waiting to have another in the driveway. I certainly hope things start to happen soon. Most of us old guys aren't getting any younger you know ! Hope I can outlast the wait !!

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2956890/ababw.jpg

Terry
05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey Mr. Fiat,

I can totally relate to the waiting / not waiting scenario! Over my desk here at work I have a picture of an Abarth in white with all the stripes and rally lights blasting through the snow entitled "Piemonte Mondiale A Weekend of Events."

My first FIAT was a 1980 Spider 2000 that my dealer kindly installed a rear seatbelt on the bench so my 5 year old son could sit in the back. (I remember him suffering back there for hours next to a coleman cooler!), next up was a Strada and then the ultimo: An Alfa GTV6.

I am really dithering about getting a Pop or Sport now or waiting for the Abarth but it is a race between the grim reaper and who knows, maybe Alzheimers ("Hey where are my keys, where am I going and what am I driving???)

Terry

RacerRon
05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice to see another "old-timer" in the forum. Please give us some details on that double -bubble Zagato Abarth in the picture. I have never owned an Abarth, but hopefully that will change in 2012.

Jeepnut
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I was gonna ask the same thing it looks good. Kinda looks like a Porsche 911 and a Shelby roadster had an Italian love affair haha. What's under the hood

MrFiat
05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
First of all, Many Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. I've owned the Abarth for almost 50 years now. (got the shell and 3 metal washtubs full of parts in 1965). A total love affair ever since. Today it carries a modified Abarth 1000 OT power plant connected to a Hewland MK4 Quick-Change gearbox. Yoko A008s keep it glued to the road. Quick and a whole lot of fun. Can't wait to drive the new one !

If you want, you can get more details about the car and modifications on my website http://home.roadrunner.com/~abarth

No coincidence about looking a bit like the 911 ( or the 356 for that matter ). Karl Abarth and Ferdinand Porsche were good friends, raced motorcycles together and collaborated on their car designs back in the day. I'm not so sure about the Shelby though, but knowing us hot-blooded Italians, anything is possible !<smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>
Once again, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.
Jim R.

Giallo Edizione
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Got a little jump on it. Now I just need the car to attach to the plate.

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2963542/abarth_plate_001.jpg

MrFiat
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
BRAVISSIMO !! I love it ! I should have done that ages ago. It would have looked good on the Zagato. Hey wait ..... Maybe I can still get THRABA for a plate and install it backwards! <smiley image='smiley_grin.gif'/> Excellent choice in plates though. We should take up a collection and buy you a set of red side stripes to go with it. That would look WAYYY cool dontcha think?

ciddyguy
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Got a little jump on it. Now I just need the car to attach to the plate.

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2963542/abarth_plate_001.jpg

Hey Giallo, did you do a mod there? Looks like you modded the rear tail light lenses, did you not? <smiley image='smiley_beam.gif'/>

RacerRon
05-20-2011, 12:42 AM
MrFiat, great web site and a great car. I know a little about major Fiat project cars. The pictures below are how my '74 X1/9 looked when a bought it from a guy in 1987. He started building it as a race car and got as far as stripping it down and installing a roll cage. It's hard to tell in photos, but there was a lot of rust on this car, especially the floorboards. I ended up sand-blasting the chassis before I did anything. Then it was 3 years of work before it was ready to run.

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2964347/stripped_X190002.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2964347/stripped_X190001.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2964347/stripped_X190003.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2964347/myx190003.jpg

MrFiat
05-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the kudos Ron. But my goodness!!, what a great job you did on yours! Lots of hard work involved, but well worth the effort. That red racer of yours looks absolutely beautiful. One of the biggest problems FIAT had with their older cars was (pardon the 4 letter word --) R-U-S-T ugh... So, yeah, I know exactly what you were up against. I'm picking up a new 500 sport tomorrow (interim until the Abarth becomes available) and one of the biggest factors in my decision to buy the car was the fact that so much attention was given to curing the previous rust problems. If you go back to Chris's earlier blog posts you'll see that the new 500 carries some extra weight due to the generous galvanizing of the metal. I'm betting that our new 500s will stand up to the North American weather as good or better than anything else on the road today, probably better. Hope I'm right.

PiZ
05-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi MrFiat,

let me say with confidence that, starting from 90's, rust it's just a bad memory... for every car of the Fiat group (not only Ferrari <smiley image='smiley_beam.gif'/>)

MrFiat
05-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Tante Grazie per la informazione !! I am so happy to hear that the newer Fiats have overcome the serious rust issues. I had an early Fiat Abarth OT-1000 spyder literally break in half because of rust. Needless to say, the Zagato only comes out in good weather. I'm planning to drive the new 500 year 'round. By the way, I really like your 20v. Maybe someday we'll get more of the wonderful cars you folks in Europe have. The 500 is a good start.

PiZ
05-20-2011, 11:58 AM
author="MrFiat">
Tante Grazie per la informazione !! I am so happy to hear that the newer Fiats have overcome the serious rust issues. I had an early Fiat Abarth OT-1000 spyder literally break in half because of rust. Needless to say, the Zagato only comes out in good weather. I'm planning to drive the new 500 year 'round. By the way, I really like your 20v. Maybe someday we'll get more of the wonderful cars you folks in Europe have. The 500 is a good start.

Prego ! <smiley image='smiley_wink.gif'/>

Thank you, the Coupé it's really an amazing car. It's style is so personal that people loves it or hates it.
It has a lot of fans in UK (where it is also called baby-Ferrari), France and Germany and it is already included in the list of "collection vehicles" by the Italian Fiat Historical Cars Register...

Ciaooo

PiZ

Terry
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for sharing your website. What a magnificent job you have done and I'm sure that Karl
would have appreciated your updates which are in keeping with his philosophy completely...Love
the personal touches as well.

Best of luck on your new Sport!

Terry

Terry
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for sharing your website. What a magnificent job you have done and I'm sure that Karl
would have appreciated your updates which are in keeping with his philosophy completely...Love
the personal touches as well.

Best of luck on your new Sport!

Terry

PiZ
05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes ! Wonderful website !! <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

I think it would be very difficult to find a best-preserved DB here in Italy.... my congratulations ! <smiley image='anim_claps.gif'/>

MrFiat
05-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks all. This may be a little off the Abarth topic, but Someone might find the information useful. I did get the new 500 Sport yesterday and it really is FUN to drive !!! While I was at the dealership I found Prima Edizione #174 on the showroom floor. It is presently available if someone wants it. "Rossa" with all the goodies. Immensely cute. If you're interested, call Brandon Taccone at Doan Fiat in Rochester N.Y. (585) 370-4881 or email brandontaccone@gmail.com
I suspect there's not many of these left ?? Good Luck.

ciddyguy
05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
author="MrFiat">
Thanks all. This may be a little off the Abarth topic, but Someone might find the information useful. I did get the new 500 Sport yesterday and it really is FUN to drive !!! While I was at the dealership I found Prima Edizione #174 on the showroom floor. It is presently available if someone wants it. "Rossa" with all the goodies. Immensely cute. If you're interested, call Brandon Taccone at Doan Fiat in Rochester N.Y. (585) 370-4881 or email brandontaccone@gmail.com

Glad you love the little car. I'm hoping to be able to get into one before year's end myself, pref sooner as I await some disputes on my credit report, see about a loan and hopefully better paying work to be able to AFFORD payments... <smiley image='smiley_tongue.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
05-22-2011, 12:31 PM
author="MrFiat">
BRAVISSIMO !! I love it ! I should have done that ages ago. It would have looked good on the Zagato. Hey wait ..... Maybe I can still get THRABA for a plate and install it backwards! <smiley image='smiley_grin.gif'/> Excellent choice in plates though. We should take up a collection and buy you a set of red side stripes to go with it. That would look WAYYY cool dontcha think?

You mean like this?:

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2972122/P1000897.jpg

MrFiat
05-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Ahhhhhh ! Yes Indeed ! Just like that ! Attaboy !

<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
05-22-2011, 04:26 PM
author="MrFiat">

Hi Mr.Fiat! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your car!

PiZ
05-23-2011, 08:10 AM
author="Fiat500USA">
I want to say something, but I shouldn't <smiley image='smiley_whistling.gif'/>

Me, too ! <smiley image='smiley_grin.gif'/>

Jeepnut
05-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Are you guys testing the US spec Abarth or have you seen it yet? Also I wish Fiat would send us the Punto Abarth and I would love to see the Coupe Zagato come to the US as well.

MrFiat
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2980605/DSC00666.jpg

Thanks Chris, It's home. It has a whopping 175 miles on it and most of that was from the ride home from Rochester. So far, so good. No apparent problems. Handles well and is great fun to drive. Love the driving position. Kinda different from what I'm used to, sitting up so high, but I really like it. And the engine makes nice noises. Already had two people stop and ask about it. Evidently the word isn't quite out there yet that the 500 is now available. But is sure seems to me that a lot of people are anxiously waiting. Oh yeah, and both cars fit in the garage with room to spare ! Awesome !

Jeepnut
05-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I brought the mini brochure the dealer gave me into work and nobody there even knew Fiat was back in the US so hopefully they will start some kind of decent marketing here pretty soon. Also when I test drove the demo the local(hour and a half away) dealer had and was pleasantly surprised at the noise the engine makes. It growls it's a great sound. Also I wanted to ask any of the owners of an automatic equipped model what they thought of the performance of it I prefer a stick shift but I have bad knees and was considering the auto for times I'm stuck in traffic but my only experience with an automated manual type transmission is driving a friends Smart and that has to be the worst auto ever.

SeaDawg
05-24-2011, 09:15 PM
<quote author="Jeepnut">
Also I wanted to ask any of the owners of an automatic equipped model what they thought of the performance of it I prefer a stick shift but I have bad knees and was considering the auto for times I'm stuck in traffic but my only experience with an automated manual type transmission is driving a friends Smart and that has to be the worst auto ever.
</quote>
I have a 5 spd manual, but I won't let that hold me back.<smiley image='smiley_beam.gif'/>

The automatic in the 500 is a REAL automatic just like an american car automatic. It is NOT an automated manual.

Other than that factoid, I'll defer to those who actually have one in their vehicles to regale you with their tales of enjoyment. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

geeded
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Okay Chris, and also you too PIZ. I know you want to say something, and I (we) certainly could use a morsel (or 10). Even a hint would be appreciated!

I've had a $500 deposit down on an Abarth for a little over two months already, complete with contract and price .. allowing no more than $500 over MSRP (and price includes "doc" fees, etc). Contract states I will get the second Abarth from the dealer. Even then, I was the second person at our dealer to "pay the cash and get in line". Beginning to sound like it's a pretty good bet.... <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>. How "Restricted" is Restricted, anyhow?

So I hereby give you both my permission to hint (or tell) and rumors you know....beggars can't be choosers and you two are privy to some really juicy innuendo.

As long as they offer it with a manual and at least the option of extra HP, I will be happy. Oh, and no sunroof as I'm 6'4". Also, any rumors about starting price? I don't see how they can go too crazy w/o bumping into the Focus ST, GTI, MINI, etc. Of course, I've been wrong before.....

Cheers<smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
05-26-2011, 12:47 AM
author="geeded">
Okay Chris, and also you too PIZ. I know you want to say something, and I (we) certainly could use a morsel (or 10). Even a hint would be appreciated!

I've had a $500 deposit down on an Abarth for a little over two months already, complete with contract and price .. allowing no more than $500 over MSRP (and price includes "doc" fees, etc). Contract states I will get the second Abarth from the dealer. Even then, I was the second person at our dealer to "pay the cash and get in line". Beginning to sound like it's a pretty good bet.... <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>. How "Restricted" is Restricted, anyhow?

So I hereby give you both my permission to hint (or tell) and rumors you know....beggars can't be choosers and you two are privy to some really juicy innuendo.

As long as they offer it with a manual and at least the option of extra HP, I will be happy. Oh, and no sunroof as I'm 6'4". Also, any rumors about starting price? I don't see how they can go too crazy w/o bumping into the Focus ST, GTI, MINI, etc. Of course, I've been wrong before.....

Cheers<smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Hi geeded, welcome to the forum!

I think it's safe to say that enthusiasts won't be disapointed. I've got my deposit ready!

PiZ
05-26-2011, 05:24 AM
author="Fiat500USA">

Hi geeded, welcome to the forum!

I think it's safe to say that enthusiasts won't be disapointed. I've got my deposit ready! ;)

Definitely ! :)

geeded... I think that ..... you will be happy ! ;)

Ciaoo

MrFiat
05-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey there Gee, It's been a long while since I've last seen the Terlingua Racing Rabbit. It put a smile on My face. That logo has a long and rich history indeed. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/> Gee gets an ATTABOY from the old guy!

On another topic altogether, perhaps we should put together a list of serious Abarth buyers from the forum and suggest to FIAT that they consider reserving an early block of them for "the faithful followers". I'd certainly be up for adding my name to the list. May or may not get results, but it certainly couldn't hurt, ------ I think --------- maybe ------<smiley image='smiley_thinking.gif'/>

RacerRon
05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
That's a great idea MrFiat. Does Laura read this forum?

Pick Me! Pick me! I support Abarth!

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990006/15-2012-fiat-500-abarth-qs.jpg

RacerRon
05-26-2011, 03:34 PM
MrFiat, this is one of my favorite Abarth cars, the Abarth 1300 OT. Although it was based on a Simca, it used some modified Fiat 850 parts. The rear four-cylinder 1300cc DOHC engine had about 75 bhp. In racing trim it had about double that. These cars won the 1966 and 1967 Division 1 Grand Touring World Championship.

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990126/995792.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990126/995921.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990126/996016.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990126/Fiat-Abarth-1300-OT_4.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2990126/1965_FiatAbarth_OT13003.jpg

Giallo Edizione
05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
author="MrFiat">
Hey there Gee, It's been a long while since I've last seen the Terlingua Racing Rabbit. It put a smile on My face. That logo has a long and rich history indeed. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/> Gee gets an ATTABOY from the old guy!

On another topic altogether, perhaps we should put together a list of serious Abarth buyers from the forum and suggest to FIAT that they consider reserving an early block of them for "the faithful followers". I'd certainly be up for adding my name to the list. May or may not get results, but it certainly couldn't hurt, ------ I think --------- maybe ------<smiley image='smiley_thinking.gif'/>

Ohhhhh noooooo! Not that again. We knooowww what happened the last time they tried that.

MrFiat
05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Hmmm? What did happen? I guess I'm totally clueless <smiley image='anim_crazy.gif'/>

MrFiat
05-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Indeed ! I've always been taken with that car as well. Sure is beautiful. I had an opportunity to buy one in the early 70's but alas, no money then. And by the way, I have always been of the opinion that I should have been born wealthy enough to have one of every car that Abarth ever made. What a collection that would have been ! I guess I'll just have to arrange for that to happen in my next life .

RacerRon
05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I have no idea what the value of an Abarth 1300 OT is, but my guess is that it is expensive! Never seen one for sale, but then again I wasn't looking.

Giallo Edizione
05-26-2011, 08:01 PM
author="MrFiat">
Hmmm? What did happen? I guess I'm totally clueless <smiley image='anim_crazy.gif'/>

You missed all the fun surrounding the 500 Prima Edizione's reserved for early issuance to a special few select avid FIAT fans. Read through the forum in the Feb-March timeframe for some real entertainment.

Fiat500USA
05-27-2011, 02:20 AM
<quote author="MrFiat">

You missed all the fun surrounding the 500 Prima Edizione's reserved for early issuance to a special few select avid FIAT fans. Read through the forum in the Feb-March timeframe for some real entertainment.
[/QUOTE]

Well, the next time will be different because they won't be starting from zero; launching a new brand/ building a dealership network, etc. at the same time, plus it's been a learning experience.

geeded
05-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Okay, this is for you Chris and also Piz.... "Arrrg! Innuendo, obfuscation, I know more than you winks! Again, Arrrrggg! Just kidding gentlemen. Thanks for the non-answer(s). It's more than I've gotten on any of the other forums. Nothing like looking at a year wait to drive you a little batty. Come on...something?....Plllleeeeaaaaase! <sigh>

Mr. Fiat, you recognized the Terlingua Racing Rabbit! 20 old guy points to you! (It's still an AWESOME insignia. I only wish I could have found an avatar of the "Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash" bumper sticker....or maybe the Polish racing team.

I just hope the Abarth's get here before I croak...or the Alfa Giuliettas show up. In which case, all bets are off! I know they're coming......

Cheers

geeded
05-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh, I forgot to say, Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Here's to many questions, answers, observations, and a little comradery in the coming months!

Cheers and again, Thanks for the welcome.

TTFN<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
author="geeded">
Oh, I forgot to say, Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Here's to many questions, answers, observations, and a little comradery in the coming months!

Cheers and again, Thanks for the welcome.

TTFN<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

http://n3.nabble.com/images/smiley/anim_handshake.gif

txdesign
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Came across this pic on a German website. Like color/interior combo, likely will go this route for my Abarth Coupe.

txdesign
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Forgot to post the website, it's in German but nice pics. Click on the "Nächstes Bild" (next picture) button to see them.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bilder/fiat-500-c-abarth-im-einzeltest-das-gewisse-plopp-3760535.html

Chris
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Tasty:

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fiat-500-C-Abarth-1-4-T-Jet-16V-Fahrersitz-Ledersitze-r396x594-C-52e995a9-494581.jpg

Fiat500USA
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Nice pics. Check out this story I did a little while ago on the 500c. Make sure you watch the video in HD.

Go here (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/07/abarth-500c-video.html)

Fiat500USA
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Tasty:

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fiat-500-C-Abarth-1-4-T-Jet-16V-Fahrersitz-Ledersitze-r396x594-C-52e995a9-494581.jpg

Nice.... Not crazy about the trans or the 2 tone, but that can be taken care of.

Jeepnut
06-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Actually I really like the two tone and I hate tan interiors.

Giallo Edizione
06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I would take that car in a New York minute!

RLove
06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Love the two-tone!

PiZ
06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
....these two-tones are selling a lot here in Italy ;)

Abarth 500CC

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2971810/IMG_0529.jpg

geeded
06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Very, Very Cool! I still haven't seen one on the road here.

Jeepnut
06-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I really like the two-tone exteriors Fiat is doing i hope they will be an option here in the US too!! Personally I'm pinching my pennies for the 500C Abarth with the black and white exterior two tone with the above pictured two tone interior that's my wish list anyway. I think I'm visiting Abarth cars UK's website to much lol

txdesign
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Here's one with red wheels. Really suits the personality of the car.

FiatGator
07-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

New to the forum. I've been seeing these 500s on our local roads lately. I'm waiting for the Abarth versions to come out...does anyone know what the color options will be for the U.S.? I really want a black Abarth...something along the lines of this (without the scorpion logo on the hood, though)...this is a hot-looking car!

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_6/Fiat_500_Abarth_Esse_Esse.jpg

Will black be available in the U.S. for the Abarths?

Fiat500USA
07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum. I've been seeing these 500s on our local roads lately. I'm waiting for the Abarth versions to come out...does anyone know what the color options will be for the U.S.? I really want a black Abarth...something along the lines of this (without the scorpion logo on the hood, though)...this is a hot-looking car!

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_6/Fiat_500_Abarth_Esse_Esse.jpg

Will black be available in the U.S. for the Abarths?

Welcome FiatGator! Nice picture. Love black Abarths.

Colors aren't known yet, but black is a popular color, so I wouldn't be surprised if they offer it.

Jeepnut
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Here's one with red wheels. Really suits the personality of the car.

Your right that one does look good. I also like the Rosso Brilliante with the white stripe and white Esse Esse wheels