PDA

View Full Version : Eco Drive

primedizione173
03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I brought up Eco Drive and gave the country as UK and a VIN of CT500173
The stick already has other stuff on it and no damage was done by PREPARE
EcoDrive created an iFiat folder with subfolders of ecoDrive and markers with a Data folder in ecoDrive.

Instructions say I can use music and ecodrive as well (device sharing!)
This could be fun
I'll print instructions and take with me.
Hope this dealer doesn't blow if
Cheers,
Mike

sonicsby5
03-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I plan to try it but haven't tried to downloaded yet - which reminds me: Weren't we supposed to get a FIAT USB thumb drive with our Prima's? I didn't get one. Anyone else getting theirs?

Alvon Elrod
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I tried doing the same thing a few days ago, Thad. But had trouble running the software on my computer. It kept crashing. Maybe I need to delete the software and try again. What did you fill in where it asks you for a registration code? I think that was Step 2 or Step 3 in the 5 step initial use of the installed software.

Alvon

Thad
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I didn't enter anything in that field. I just hit next.

Fiat #183
03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I loaded mine up onto my music memory stick with no problems. When I plugged it into the car it indicated that there was not enough room to store date. So I removed a few albums of music and now it seems happy. It gives me a little message that eco drive is on when I start up but it may be referring to the sport switch not being in the sport mode.

I have not tried to download any data for analysis. I have not driven enough to gather much data.

Fiat #183
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Since I have a memory stick plugged in to the USB port to collect eco drive data, the radio switches from Sat to the usb port after a minute or so of driving.

Anyone know how to make it stop doing this. I love he sat radio.

sam500
03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Don't remember exactly where (think it might be in vr>media player>settings) there is an option that says something like USB auto-play: on (don't think it's quite that, but it's something like that). I haven't really played with it, but maybe give it a try?

jvsgabriel
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey, has anybody tried to download their info back into the Eco Drive program yet? I have been driving for about a week, and I still get the "you need a minimum of 5 days" prompt. Does it want 5 days of driving or does it want 120 hrs of driving time? Not sure, so just wanted to check if anyone else has had this problem? Or have you actually got the program to work for you? Thanks.

Joel

Alvon Elrod
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
That's about what I get, too. I don't see anywhere on the web site that will allow me to download the files from the memory stick to the software. I have 775 miles of driving over a 5 day interval, and I can see all the files for each drive interval on the memory stick, but the software doesn't seem to recognize that I have that information available in my computer.

I haven't seen any supporting documentation from Fiat for how to use this program.

Alvon

jvsgabriel
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok, good, I thought that I had done something wrong with the download or something. Perhaps we need the 120 hours of drive time before it will work? Which is perhaps the 5 days they actually want? Oh well, I too did a search for how to download the information from the USB stick to the Pc and nothing. Well I will let you know, if and when it works. Just 96 hours more driving the car and we should be able to test the theory.

Joel, Chuseppi #366

Thad
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
So, has anyone successfully been able to use Ecodrive?
I have the software loaded on my computer and into the car. When I start the car it indicates "Ecodrive On". The car writes files to the thumb drive every time I drive. The program doesn't seem to find what has been written on the thumb drive.
Anybody else in the same boat?

Alvon Elrod
03-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Same boat here.

Giallo Edizione
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I am definitely going to let you boys and girls sort this one out.

Minuszka
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Same here too. I was told that the US version of the software is still in Beta mode and the problem might be that we all installed the Euro version ( didn't even let you choose US as the location ) and it might not be compatible with the US cars' USB and software.

Prima 109
04-01-2011, 05:45 AM
That's what I think it is. After reading this thread and installing the software myself, it makes sense. Because when you prepare the thumb drive it asks for fuel type diesel or petrol, and engine it lists three or four not mentioning Multiair. we may have to wait until the newer website is up to get the right app.

Thad
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Lots of things not really built for us in the US. Even things like liters of fuel/100km instead of miles/gallon. Sit tight and I'm sure we'll have the right version of software soon.

Fiat500USA
04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

Fiat #183
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I have installed the beta version of the software, ran the usb stick in my car for a few weeks. When I plug it into my computer and started the software the data would not download. I tried several methods to get to two to talk but then decided I am not an economy motivated driver.

FiatLancia
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
There's always something like this as an option if you don't want to wait for factory US software:

<a href="http://gopointtech.com/">http://gopointtech.com/</a>

Plus, it has the added benefit of diagnosing fault codes AND you can move it for use in any OBDII (1996-on) car/truck. The under-dash location of the OBDII plug socket on our cars means that it would be real easy to watch data in real-time with the IPhone/IPad on your lap or dashboard mount.

Shaun
Prima #11
www.FiatLancia.com

Giallo Edizione
04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Very cool product Shaun. Thanks for the link.

lirandy
04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I was chatting with our salesperson about this ECO Drive when we were waiting for the bank approving our auto loan. I was told that the ECO Drive now is still based on the EU spec. So the outcome should not be very accurate. Maybe should wait for the ECO Drive for US spec first? <smiley image='anim_confused.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
04-14-2011, 01:53 AM
<quote author="lirandy">
I was chatting with our salesperson about this ECO Drive when we were waiting for the bank approving our auto loan. I was told that the ECO Drive now is still based on the EU spec. So the outcome should not be very accurate. Maybe should wait for the ECO Drive for US spec first? <smiley image='anim_confused.gif'/>
</quote>

Shhhh...... coming soon....<smiley image='smiley_tongue.gif'/>

lirandy
04-14-2011, 11:50 AM
lol....so i guess we should wait patiently for the US spec ECO Drive then....<smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
04-15-2011, 01:52 AM
<quote author="lirandy">
lol....so i guess we should wait patiently for the US spec ECO Drive then....<smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>
</quote>

Matter of days... oops!
<smiley image='smiley_whistling.gif'/>

Maurizio
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Itsounds like it should be active as of May!

Maurizio
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
It sounds like it should be active as of May!

fiatgal
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
What's the update on the Eco Drive?

I bought the car May 10, thereabouts, and as far as I know, have the US version of Eco Drive installed. I followed all the directions for Eco Drive, kept the USB stick in for about a week, but same issue as others here: today, tried to download on my computer, but it tells me that I only have a day's worth of data.

Oh... and one other issue: the past couple of days, I get this message telling me that my memory is low. ???

Prima 109
06-01-2011, 09:59 PM
:confused:I finally got mine to work. I had to reboot the OS on my laptop and reinstall everything that wasn't saveible. re download the US version of Ecodrive and now it's fine. It says I'm producing more Co2 emissions than a small country and the car is on two wheels! LMAO. One small prob though, everytime I start the car it says "updating, updating ended." "Remove the USB device", but it works otherwise. I'll ask the dealer tomorrow.:confused::confused:

Thad
06-03-2011, 12:42 PM
You can wipe off the one file on the USB drive now. Off the top of me head I forget what the name is.

Thad
06-03-2011, 12:43 PM
You are not writing to the usb drive in the car. It is writing data to the internal memory which is filling up.

Prima 109
06-03-2011, 09:11 PM
It should be Ifiat or are you talking about the installer file? When I do remove the stick and reinsert it per the instructions in the app, the next time I start the car the same thing happens. The dealer's tech says his shop manual just gives him a brief description of ecodrive and not any real way to diagnose it.:confused:

Fiat500USA
06-03-2011, 10:17 PM
What's the update on the Eco Drive?

I bought the car May 10, thereabouts, and as far as I know, have the US version of Eco Drive installed. I followed all the directions for Eco Drive, kept the USB stick in for about a week, but same issue as others here: today, tried to download on my computer, but it tells me that I only have a day's worth of data.

Oh... and one other issue: the past couple of days, I get this message telling me that my memory is low. ???

Did you download the US version of ecoDrive?

fiatgal
06-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Did you download the US version of ecoDrive?

I did. I followed the link you gave. It just asked me "what language I speak" and I selected American English. I assumed the steps thereafter took me to the US version.

I'm thinking of two-three possible issues:

1. I put in a USB splitter to the USB port, bc I wanted to Eco Drive on one thumb drive AND the bluetooth relay (I think it's called bluebridge) for my iPhone on the other. Maybe the Eco Drive info does not like going through the splitter? (Then again, if the USB is writing to the car's internal memory and not the other way around, I don't see how this would be an issue...). Or maybe the splitter is not the issue, but in changing the setup, I somehow didn't follow the directions the second time around, although I doubt this is the case since I set up everything within the same 5 minute slot, and the program is telling me that I do have at least 1 day's worth of data.

2. Maybe the EcoDrive stick got dislodged? If I want to play music from my iPhone using the bluetooth relay, I always have to "reset" it, ie. I have to click on this little button a few times. Maybe I dislodged it doing so. But then... why would the car's computer system tell me that the memory is low?

I'm thinking of getting a much larger thumb drive and placing both Eco Drive and my music together on the same drive.

Very puzzled...

fiatgal
06-04-2011, 04:01 PM
You are not writing to the usb drive in the car. It is writing data to the internal memory which is filling up.

Thad, I don't quite get the process. The thumb drive writes to the car's computer... but as the memory fills up, then what? At some point, doesn't it unload onto the thumb drive. Or was there a specific way I was supposed to remove the thumb drive?

Fiat500USA
06-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I did. I followed the link you gave. It just asked me "what language I speak" and I selected American English. I assumed the steps thereafter took me to the US version.

I'm thinking of two-three possible issues:

1. I put in a USB splitter to the USB port, bc I wanted to Eco Drive on one thumb drive AND the bluetooth relay (I think it's called bluebridge) for my iPhone on the other. Maybe the Eco Drive info does not like going through the splitter? (Then again, if the USB is writing to the car's internal memory and not the other way around, I don't see how this would be an issue...). Or maybe the splitter is not the issue, but in changing the setup, I somehow didn't follow the directions the second time around, although I doubt this is the case since I set up everything within the same 5 minute slot, and the program is telling me that I do have at least 1 day's worth of data.

2. Maybe the EcoDrive stick got dislodged? If I want to play music from my iPhone using the bluetooth relay, I always have to "reset" it, ie. I have to click on this little button a few times. Maybe I dislodged it doing so. But then... why would the car's computer system tell me that the memory is low?

I'm thinking of getting a much larger thumb drive and placing both Eco Drive and my music together on the same drive.

Very puzzled...

That may be your problem. It sounds plausible.

fiatgal
06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
That may be your problem. It sounds plausible.

Well... it looks as though I got it to work, and not quite sure why it didn't before. Maybe the thumb drive got dislodged and I never "lodged" it back into place in order to download the car's computer info onto the thumb drive?

Here's what happened.

1. I got another thumb drive and formatted it, sort of thinking I would have to go through the whole process again...
2. Went out to my car, and as it turns out, needlessly followed the instructions when first uploading the eco drive program onto the car.
3. When I noticed that the "update complete" DID NOT show up on my car's display, I thought to myself... "hmm... methinks I may just be able to take this thumb drive back to my computer and analyze the data. I'll just give it a shot and see what happens."
4. Sure enough, although when I first put it in, the program was telling me that I needed 3 more driving days, I could see that the application's info was changing as the thumb's data was being downloaded into the program, and soon it was 2 more days, then 1, then... Ta DAH!!! It worked.

Result: I forget the number (it was sort of low); I'm shifting gears a little too quickly.

This is just too cool.

FiatLancia
06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Good to hear that you got it working.

For whatever it's worth to you (all personal, biased, opinion to follow...lol!), I haven't much faith in the accuracy/usefulness of the EcoDrive numbers, so I wouldn't worry too much about your low figure.

I've logged over a month's worth of data (1500 miles), and it's giving me a score of 70 overall, with a range of between 68 and 72. Score ratings have been very consistent over the whole month: 5-stars in speed, but only 3.5 in acceleration, 3.5-4.0 in deceleration, and 3.5 stars in "gearshifts." In that timeframe I'm getting around 44 mpg overall as calculated with fuel receipts; the EcoDrive "calculator" tab shows 44.6.

So does this score imply that I can drive 30% MORE efficiently? I know that the score is not a linear trend from zero or anything like that, but does it not seem to anyone else here that 70 is on the low end of things considering the actual, calculated mpg?

What are others here scoring, and how do your numbers compare to actual mpg (since we can't measure and compare CO2 emissions, etc.)?

Prima148
06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Result: I forget the number (it was sort of low); I'm shifting gears a little too quickly.

This is just too cool.

I'm amazed that shifting too quickly can be an ecodrive complaint. Maybe I'm just hopelessly at the other end of the curve. I'll never break 60 unless I'm doing interstate.

panther76
06-07-2011, 10:19 AM
does the 500 display give an instantaneous mpg readout on the display or just an ongoing mpg readout?

id consider the instantaneous readout to be the best tool of all to improve driving habits.

Alvon Elrod
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
It does have an instantaneous mpg readout (selectable).

fiatgal
06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm amazed that shifting too quickly can be an ecodrive complaint. Maybe I'm just hopelessly at the other end of the curve. I'll never break 60 unless I'm doing interstate.

Woops... Sorry. I meant I'm waiting a bit too long to shift gears. In fact, my numbers were sort of like Shaun's. Did well on the speed, but not so good on the gear shifting. I've been trying to shift sooner, but it just seems as though the car drags a bit more. But then, I guess that's the payoff? Wait a bit more to shift, get a bit more power and revs, but widen the hole in the ozone a bit more?

Thad
06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm at 54. I find the biggest key is your average speed. My average speed is about 22mph on my normal drive to work. Lots of time sitting at lights and such. If you keep rolling and moving, maybe you can get better numbers. I can watch my average mpg drop when I sit at long lights.
Oh, BTW, the TomTom(that nobody seems to have) is supposed to display a live eco:Drive interface.

Red Barchetta
06-09-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm at 54. I find the biggest key is your average speed. My average speed is about 22mph on my normal drive to work. Lots of time sitting at lights and such. If you keep rolling and moving, maybe you can get better numbers. I can watch my average mpg drop when I sit at long lights.
Oh, BTW, the TomTom(that nobody seems to have) is supposed to display a live eco:Drive interface.
I cannot seem to be able to post a new thread, so I am just going to try to add to this existing one:

"I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but, I did some searching on both the old forum and this new one and could not find a solution.
Eevery time I try to download the Eco Drive application from http://www.fiat.com/ecodrive/us/default.htm I receive the following error message:
"Sorry. An error has occurred. The application could not be installed. Try installing it again. If the problem persists, contact the application author. Error #2032".
Thanks for your help!

-RB

F500
08-14-2011, 04:21 PM
.....I can watch my average mpg drop when I sit at long lights.

LOL...my 'average mpgs' dropped .5 just by sitting in the garage overnight. probably the cats taking Gumby on a midnight run to Taco Bell. :)

as for the TomTom, I'll have to try mine. had it 3 weeks now and only played with it for a few minutes. so many toys, so little time. :(

F500
08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
.....Oh, BTW, the TomTom(that nobody seems to have) is supposed to display a live eco:Drive interface.

FINALLY I got around to downloading my EcoDrive app. now I just have to drive for 5 days and see where I'm at.

as for the TomTom, the "live interface" amounts to a screen that has a circle-shaped graph that goes from green to red, showing you when you're using more gas. kind of like the 'instant mpg' readout on the EVIC but can be watched while talking to someone on your B&M, unlike the EVIC display which shows 'who' you're talking to instead of the mpg's.

I'm sure there's more......still playing with it!

luckymoi
08-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I did the first few weeks or so and had a 64.
Download I did when first test drove the car months and months ago, no issues with download or USB prep.
FIAT gets big points for this program from me.
I spent the last 5 yrs working at home to reduce miles (last year was around 6k)
Its inline with me getting a smaller car instead of driving il monstro when only 1 or 2 of us are in the car.
This car is so loaded with features I have not gotten it all figured out yet.
For me this is great, a jewel.

Bking7698
01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I plan to try it but haven't tried to downloaded yet - which reminds me: Weren't we supposed to get a FIAT USB thumb drive with our Prima's? I didn't get one. Anyone else getting theirs?

I received my Fiat thumb drive by mail about 10 weeks after buying the car.

janaheim
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I received my Fiat thumb drive by mail about 10 weeks after buying the car.

Is that all they sent you? No roadside assistance card, intro kit, key fob, etc.? I'm still waiting for mine, I'm using a regular USB drive.

Ciao