PDA

View Full Version : Transmission replacement

Pastelrocket
02-05-2018, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone. My 2014 500L transmission overheated and stop working with only 39,000 miles. After reading several posts in this forum and other sites, I found out it is due to the dual clutch design. Unfortunately my car went out of warranty 3 months ago. Since this is a known issue, does anyone know if Fiat covers the costs of the repair even if the car is our of warranty? The dealer said it would cost around $5,000, which is almost half of the current value of the car! Thanks.

KellyfromVA
02-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone. My 2014 500L transmission overheated and stop working with only 39,000 miles. After reading several posts in this forum and other sites, I found out it is due to the dual clutch design. Unfortunately my car went out of warranty 3 months ago. Since this is a known issue, does anyone know if Fiat covers the costs of the repair even if the car is our of warranty? The dealer said it would cost around $5,000, which is almost half of the current value of the car! Thanks.

I won't pretend to speak for FCA, but I've rarely seen any manufacturer be willing to cover replacement of a transmission out of warranty. FCA would never acknowledge this statement; but I'm sure by now you've already seen indication that this transmission has been a source of trouble with the 500L anyway.

Providence
04-05-2018, 05:36 PM
I feel for you. By 20K miles I'd gone through 2 transmissions. Your last resort could be to consult a lawyer that specializes in autos because it is a known issue. I imagine because they sold so few of these when it really comes down to it there aren't really that many of us who've been so unlucky.