PDA

View Full Version : I even pointed out this EXACT spot....

Trunkout
01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
“Please be careful with the clearance of the side skirts when lifting”
”Especially here”

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DbNOpLcgY6c/WleWfpXxVlI/AAAAAAAA0Og/WiJ15eFZYc0ynwofhVuvQ3GWP_yJjWA3wCKgBGAs/s1600/trunkout-1-11-18.jpg
Some people are just natural inbreeds....

AGAIN WITH THE SIDEWAYS PICTURES????? I thought this was 2018.....

ewflyer
01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Nothing says 'I don't give a ****' like not giving a ****

ice445
01-12-2018, 03:02 AM
You can be as careful as you want, the lift arms will spread when the car goes airborne and do this time and time again. You need to move the front pads inboard to the body mounts or this is what you get.

Amacento
01-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Ouch! Who did that?

Trunkout
01-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Ouch! Who did that?
Big O tire in Blue Springs, Missouri

Fiat500USA
01-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Please tell me they are paying for that. Junk yard mechanics...

Southernroadrunner
01-13-2018, 01:26 AM
Yea I would hope that they were going to have to pay for that

Amacento
01-13-2018, 06:40 AM
Big O tire in Blue Springs, Missouri
Are you out on bail?

In all seriousness: That is one of the greatest challenges inherent with a brand people don’t know well or “get” or respect... they don’t make the provisions to work on them. I get severe anxiety each and every time I see someone even think about lifting a 500. I trust the fools are paying for the damage.

Trunkout
01-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah.... up the chain we go....
I’m taking it to a friend for the estimate...
You bet they are gonna pay.

Fiat500USA
01-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Many of these chain store repair shops can't handle European cars or anything sophisticated. Mavis crushed the floor in on our Audi A4, just missing the fuel lines. These guys damage cars all the time, they are just in places that aren't obvious.

carfreak09
01-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Discount Tire here in Orlando knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked them to adjust their lift to avoid damaging the side skirts when raising the car. He specifically said, "I'll flat floor it as that seems to protect these cars". In other words, he didn't use the lift. He just used an old fashioned jack on the proper jacking spot. No damage to the skirts. I was quite impressed and now know what to request when I go there. They got a customer for life with that attention to detail!

Mrtmag
01-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Thatís just infuriating! Iíve had mechanics get very defensive when I explain to them how tricky jacking a 500 is. Itís gotten to the point of were I just use a scissor jack at home and take a wheel at a time off and rotate them or need to get a tire changed. Ive yet to find a shop I trust to lift my car. I know that sounds very snobby but I love my car and Iíd hate for something to happen to negligence. I hope it works out for OP and everything gets fixed up right for you.

aelfwyne
01-23-2018, 12:48 AM
The bottom of my Abarth is all banged up.... body seams chewed up.... Thankfully I've avoided anyone actually lifting on the sideskirts themselves.

Honestly, as much as I hate on Discount Tire and others... and they give me a hard time every time, although they humor me and use floor jacks, ultimately ...

The problem lies on Fiat's doorstep. PUT JACKING PADS FOR F SAKE.... Where people can FIND THEM...

Fiat500USA
01-23-2018, 01:55 AM
If you have a lift, the spots on the 500 are easy to find if you know what you are doing or you've worked at a place that does European cars. It's basic car repair 101. A lot of these shops just have guys that are butchers or have worked on too many pickups and don't understand anything that doesn't have an old fashioned ladder frame. In Europe they don't have this problem.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24724&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24725&stc=1

The problem is lifting the car at your home with a floor jack and putting the car up on jack stands. That can be a pain.

Fiat500USA
01-23-2018, 02:04 AM
Discount Tire here in Orlando knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked them to adjust their lift to avoid damaging the side skirts when raising the car. He specifically said, "I'll flat floor it as that seems to protect these cars". In other words, he didn't use the lift. He just used an old fashioned jack on the proper jacking spot. No damage to the skirts. I was quite impressed and now know what to request when I go there. They got a customer for life with that attention to detail!

That's a professional. Plus he didn't rank your car out because he had to put in a little more effort. Good for him. Glad you found a guy that cares,

Trunkout
01-23-2018, 10:11 AM
I finally go the ok yesterday to get it fixed.
Only took Big-O 13 days (and me on the phone for days) to come up with a solution.

ice445
01-23-2018, 09:39 PM
The bottom of my Abarth is all banged up.... body seams chewed up.... Thankfully I've avoided anyone actually lifting on the sideskirts themselves.

Honestly, as much as I hate on Discount Tire and others... and they give me a hard time every time, although they humor me and use floor jacks, ultimately ...

The problem lies on Fiat's doorstep. PUT JACKING PADS FOR F SAKE.... Where people can FIND THEM...

If you have a lift, the spots on the 500 are easy to find if you know what you are doing or you've worked at a place that does European cars. It's basic car repair 101. A lot of these shops just have guys that are butchers or have worked on too many pickups and don't understand anything that doesn't have an old fashioned ladder frame. In Europe they don't have this problem.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24724&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24725&stc=1

The problem is lifting the car at your home with a floor jack and putting the car up on jack stands. That can be a pain.

As simple as it is to get it right, the consequences of getting it WRONG are severe. That's why it was silly of Fiat not to include markings or some other obvious indication of where to place the lift pads. I understand why they didn't bother, but the U.S. is a special snowflake market.

I've thought about spray painting my body mounts with bright red paint to drive the point home of where the arms are supposed to go, but even then, that's no guarantee that the operator of the lift will look under the car and pay attention to it. I bought a second set of wheels and just avoid tire shops entirely. Even if they can lift the car safely on the pinch weld, it causes the skirts to separate and pop off. That happened two separate times at tire shops despite me giving instructions. It's almost like you have to print out the pictures in your post and tape them to the dashboard, and then pray they actually look at it.

Fiat500USA
01-24-2018, 02:31 AM
As simple as it is to get it right, the consequences of getting it WRONG are severe. That's why it was silly of Fiat not to include markings or some other obvious indication of where to place the lift pads. I understand why they didn't bother, but the U.S. is a special snowflake market.

I've thought about spray painting my body mounts with bright red paint to drive the point home of where the arms are supposed to go, but even then, that's no guarantee that the operator of the lift will look under the car and pay attention to it. I bought a second set of wheels and just avoid tire shops entirely. Even if they can lift the car safely on the pinch weld, it causes the skirts to separate and pop off. That happened two separate times at tire shops despite me giving instructions. It's almost like you have to print out the pictures in your post and tape them to the dashboard, and then pray they actually look at it.

Spraying them red is a good idea. My Audi is lifted in a similar spot. As I mentioned earlier, the knuckleheads at Mavis damaged our Audi's floor because of their carelessness. Most of the cars I've owned or worked on (European) are lifted in the same places. The manufacturers are concerned with their dealers knowing where to lift the cars and not the aftermarket (even still the dealers have knuckleheads too!) They don't want to help the aftermarket repair shops, that's for sure. It would be cool, though, if they made it easier for owners, that's for sure.

I had a discussion about the sideskirt issue with a high level US Abarth engineer a few years back and they said the sideskirts were inherited (and identical in attachment wise including same tape) from the European cars and were one of the parts they had to keep. Hopefully that is on the redesign list!