PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion about seeing more Motorsport type events?

Robert Zecca
01-07-2018, 12:24 PM
I personally have been heavily involved in our club now for about 5 months. In that time I have spoken to many Fiat owners....not all members. I have learned alot about their interests and what they would like to see. Traditionally in the past I believe people like meets where they park their cars and talk to one another or go on nice scenic rides and this still exists and must continue.
Our cars now expand over a life of 50 years old and what is fantastic is the owners are keeping them in great running condition and not keeping them in the garage. They go out to events and use them. What I have learned is we now have a younger demographic of owner. Predominantly these owners have the Abarth 500s, or 500s or now some of the newer 124 spiders. People have been showing an interest in taking their cars on track. For 2018 I think we should make it as a goal for our chapter and surrounding chapters to get involved in a few track days where we actually get to take our cars to a local racetrack, get them up to speed in a safe environment and truly enjoy their potential.
Many of these younger people would like to get involved and I believe it is in the best interest of the club to accommodate their requests in hopes that we get them to join the club. In order for the club to grow we must slowly evolve and change as our cars and technology changes. We have an incredibly strong core group of enthusiasts and we need to share our passion with all.
If you look at other very successful clubs like Porsche for example. They have it all. Wine meets, drives, rallies, well attended meetings and social functions and a very strong motorsport program.
The Fiats, Abarths and Alfas of today are predominantly performance vehicles and the direction of going out on track, autocrosses or other performance related events make sense and should be addressed. At the upcoming Freezeout event I would like to invite our members to come early say noon to discuss these issues and come up with solutions. Let's keep the avenues of communications open and make FCA a leading club in America. There are so many splinter groups that should be part of our club and I believe one reason is that at present we are not for everybody but this can change if we change together.
Comments....ideas?

Amacento
01-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Some of the best attended CC5C meets were drives out to Road America (we attended 2-3 Pirelli World Challenge in consecutive years).

70+ registrations for 2017 FFO the Road America activity. It continues to be one of the most talked about... it's certainly the best attended track event in FFO history. The key is to plan it to be something non-race fans can also enjoy. I also added backroads trips to vineyards and the ever-popular backroads drives to an outdoor theatre. Again... it's all about thinking big picture and realizing not everyone is as into the cars as they are into hanging out with likeminded people.

Robert Zecca
01-07-2018, 08:56 PM
I spoke to a few people who went on that event and even thou they said it was fun to be touring around a iconic track in a parade with other great cars one in particular mentioned about hoping to get up to speed and this is what we are hoping to accomplish. I love the idea of arranging drives to see professional events. Keep up the great work.

Amacento
01-08-2018, 07:54 AM
I spoke to a few people who went on that event and even thou they said it was fun to be touring around a iconic track in a parade with other great cars one in particular mentioned about hoping to get up to speed and this is what we are hoping to accomplish. I love the idea of arranging drives to see professional events. Keep up the great work.
"Getting up to speed" will not happen unless you arrange an event that is a Track Driving School event. But, then, drivers will be limited to the rules the trainers set for them. You could risk "arranging out" NA F500s, vintage Fiats and vintage Abarths in that case. You also could risk "arranging out" spouses who tolerate more than enjoy their significant others' obsession with cars.

There is liability in organizing and hosting autoX events. Go for it if you can stomach the exposure.

Comment:
I don't know what a "splinter group" is. I assume you're referring to local clubs. Those clubs may not be keen on FCA membership fees or Chapter Bylaws. Those clubs may not be keen on tossing their names or logos in favor of FCA. Those clubs may be closer to the older Fiat America (a club that has long taken part in Motorsport events). Those clubs may not want someone from outside their immediate community telling them what they "should be" doing.

Question:
What does FCA Chapterhood do for a club it can't do for itself?
A savvy blogger or other clever social media person can build a broad brand without FCA. The Fiat community is a global community thanks, in large part, to the internet. FCA people, like yourself, must be about community activity that goes beyond directly promoting or otherwise soliciting for the club. Cream City 500 Club, the name, cites a specific place and one Fiat model. That should render a very limited membership and fanbase, but the blog is read in over 20 languages and the Facebook page is followed in just as many. Membership includes Polski Fiats, Ladas and Zastavas. We ditched our Italian colors for a checkerboard design to be more inclusive and promote motoring over anything else.

Why must there be one giant club driving under the FCA banner?
FCA/FFO, itself, always feels "splintered" into vintage Fiats and contemporary Fiats... despite the fact some people pour a lot of energy into bridging that divide. I've heard and been assured change is on the way. That was 4 years ago. I received many, many emails and PMs from people who attended FFO in MKE. Most of them claim it was the best FFO they attended. Bob Rayner stated the event had the most diverse group ever in a concorso. It reads as though you're looking for ways to continue the trend of inclusion. Keep pouring energy into that and the national community will flourish. The individual mentality of the "old guard" must change to change "new blood" perception of FCA.

Food for thought. Best of luck to you and FCA.

Zephyr
01-08-2018, 07:41 PM
This is a great idea. Put me down for right seat instructor duties.

Initially an event of this nature may need to be done in conjunction with another club, either buying a run group or just mixing in with their regular run groups and paddocking together and either hosting a lunch for the group or the group doing a post track day dinner.

It is very challenging to convince people to actually come out and put their cars on track. I've been trying for many many years with the younger Subaru and Honda kids, they just don't understand why they need to pay $250-350 per day for track time. They also have this fear about "beating" on their cars.

Z

Robert Zecca
01-08-2018, 08:51 PM
We will be running as a group with HODNE for 2018.

Robert Zecca
01-08-2018, 08:53 PM
"Getting up to speed" will not happen unless you arrange an event that is a Track Driving School event. But, then, drivers will be limited to the rules the trainers set for them. You could risk "arranging out" NA F500s, vintage Fiats and vintage Abarths in that case. You also could risk "arranging out" spouses who tolerate more than enjoy their significant others' obsession with cars.

There is liability in organizing and hosting autoX events. Go for it if you can stomach the exposure.

Comment:
I don't know what a "splinter group" is. I assume you're referring to local clubs. Those clubs may not be keen on FCA membership fees or Chapter Bylaws. Those clubs may not be keen on tossing their names or logos in favor of FCA. Those clubs may be closer to the older Fiat America (a club that has long taken part in Motorsport events). Those clubs may not want someone from outside their immediate community telling them what they "should be" doing.

Question:
A savvy blogger or other clever social media person can build a broad brand without FCA. The Fiat community is a global community thanks, in large part, to the internet. FCA people, like yourself, must be about community activity that goes beyond directly promoting or otherwise soliciting for the club. Cream City 500 Club, the name, cites a specific place and one Fiat model. That should render a very limited membership and fanbase, but the blog is read in over 20 languages and the Facebook page is followed in just as many. Membership includes Polski Fiats, Ladas and Zastavas. We ditched our Italian colors for a checkerboard design to be more inclusive and promote motoring over anything else.

FCA/FFO, itself, always feels "splintered" into vintage Fiats and contemporary Fiats... despite the fact some people pour a lot of energy into bridging that divide. I've heard and been assured change is on the way. That was 4 years ago. I received many, many emails and PMs from people who attended FFO in MKE. Most of them claim it was the best FFO they attended. Bob Rayner stated the event had the most diverse group ever in a concorso. It reads as though you're looking for ways to continue the trend of inclusion. Keep pouring energy into that and the national community will flourish. The individual mentality of the "old guard" must change to change "new blood" perception of FCA.

I am a bit confused. Are you a FCA member?

Robert Zecca
01-08-2018, 10:04 PM

Comment:

Question:

I reread your post and honestly I am still confused. In the meantime I discovered you spearheaded the last Freak out and would like to congratulate you on a stellar job. The locals rave about you and your accomplishments!! I doubt if people understand your passion or commitment or realize what it takes for you to pull it off but I for one would like to personally thank you sir.

Amacento
01-09-2018, 06:07 AM
I reread your post and honestly I am still confused. In the meantime I discovered you spearheaded the last Freak out and would like to congratulate you on a stellar job. The locals rave about you and your accomplishments!! I doubt if people understand your passion or commitment or realize what it takes for you to pull it off but I for one would like to personally thank you sir.
That is me, yes.

I’m sorry if parts of my posts are confusing. I am an atypical “car guy” with a passion for the Fiat and Abarth brands. I recently allowed my FCA membership to lapse. I will not post my reasons here out of respect for the folks who pour a lot of energy into running it. My post answered your request to let you what we’re thinking about the national club and your EXCELLENT track events idea. I’m simply sharing my experiences and opinions with you to help you on your quest.

Best of luck!

Robert Zecca
01-09-2018, 01:05 PM
That is me, yes.

I’m sorry if parts of my posts are confusing. I am an atypical “car guy” with a passion for the Fiat and Abarth brands. I recently allowed my FCA membership to lapse. I will not post my reasons here out of respect for the folks who pour a lot of energy into running it. My post answered your request to let you what we’re thinking about the national club and your EXCELLENT track events idea. I’m simply sharing my experiences and opinions with you to help you on your quest.

Best of luck!

That is very sad to me and a great loss to the club. You know more about the brand than 99% of the people out there!!! You have done great things. I want to speak to you. Please call me when you get a chance. 973-361-0508 work or 973-873-3702 cell

Amacento
01-09-2018, 04:56 PM
That is very sad to me and a great loss to the club. You know more about the brand than 99% of the people out there!!! You have done great things. I want to speak to you. Please call me when you get a chance. 973-361-0508 work or 973-873-3702 cell
Thank you, sir. I replied to your PM.