PDA

View Full Version : Fiat/Abarth 500 Rear Wheel Bearing Info

Robert Zecca
01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Fiat/Abarth 500 rear wheel bearing axle tip. We have seen wheel bearings go on 500's with around 35,000 miles and up. When changing them DO NOT just change the bearing change the bearing and hub carrier together as a unit. Only costs about $25 more and you will save a ton on labor. The second point is do not buy a cheap part.....buy the best. In our shop we prefer not to buy Chinese parts for these cars. We have found this F A G Hub Bearing Assembly to be of excellent quality and yield excellent results. If you have any questions at all just write me at: bob@teamdi.com You can also reach me at 973-361-0508 days
Today's Fiats have been reliable with very little issues. Oil changes, spark plugs, brake pads, tires and wheel bearings. Basically normal maintenance stuff. We are seeing cars come thru the shop with 60,000 to over 100,000 miles run like new.

streetsurfer
01-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Thank you sir! If you can still edit, maybe try spacing out the letters for F A G Bearing Company or use periods between. If edit has timed out this as well as the photo will serve to provide the partís company name.

I wonder, are the F A G assemblies supplied with a better grease than the other brands you would choose not to use? Thanks again.

KellyfromVA
01-05-2018, 05:42 PM
I've had good results with the Moog hub assemblies. One rear wheel bearing started going bad on my wife's car at about 70K, so I replaced both sides with Moog units from Partsgeek.com (would two be Moogi?)

She's got around 125K on the car now and they seem to be holding up.

Klasse Act
01-05-2018, 06:55 PM
IIRC my D/S rear was replaced around 40-42K, under warranty. The dealership checked the other side and it was good. It was very noticeable and no doubt what was causing that sound. Now that its out of warranty it will be either OEM or Moog parts for my car.

Robert Zecca
01-05-2018, 07:06 PM
I honestly believe it is more than the grease.....it is the quality of the bearings. Cheaper hub assemblies can be found for $70 or so on Amazon whereas a better one is about $165. In this case you get what you pay for. The steel, grease, seal, etc...it is all superior.

Robert Zecca
01-05-2018, 07:08 PM
OEM uses a good bearing either SKF or F A G

Robert Zecca
01-05-2018, 07:09 PM
MOOG make quality products as well.

streetsurfer
01-05-2018, 07:29 PM
I honestly believe it is more than the grease.....it is the quality of the bearings. Cheaper hub assemblies can be found for $70 or so on Amazon whereas a better one is about $165. In this case you get what you pay for. The steel, grease, seal, etc...it is all superior.

I don't disagree. Seeing a better grease can be an indicator of better quality all around, which is what I was driving at. I've seen some post images of assemblies changed that had grease in them that I would rather not use. Cheaping out there may also be an indicator cheaper parts being used.