PDA

View Full Version : Real World Mileage Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sam500
02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
-

spindoc
03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Please post what kind of mileage you're getting (along with any relevant details) here.

I'll get the ball rolling. My first fill-up was 30.6 mpg, combined city and highway. On the second tank I'm averaging 33.2, driving in town only.

RacerRon
03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
33 mpg is pretty good for around-town driving. Is that careful (short-shifting) or brisk driving?

ciddyguy
03-15-2011, 12:10 AM
author="RacerRon">
33 mpg is pretty good for around-town driving. Is that careful (short-shifting) or brisk driving?

If that's anywhere near accurate, that's very good for city driving indeed.

I would be curious to know if it's brisk driving or not myself.

I drive the old truck rather briskly both in town and on the highway so that's not helping my mileage AT ALL but boy is it a fun way to drive though! LOL.

spindoc
03-15-2011, 08:05 AM
author="RacerRon">

No short shifting. Just my regular driving, including passing, etc. - this car encourages "briskness".

Gavin
03-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Sport mode or non sport mode?

Gavin

unclelaverne
03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
So far a mix of highway, stop and go 405 freeway and around town for a total of around 150 miles I have put on it. The average says 38.6 Non sport mode, brisk driving the first day (35 ish miles cuz I couldn't help myself) and gentle driving the rest.

spindoc
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
author="Gavin">
Sport mode or non sport mode?

Sport! Was in non-sport on the Interstate when I first picked up the car, sport since.

Gavin
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Nice....not sure mine will ever be out of sport mode :)

Gavin

sam500
03-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Just got 46 Average MPG on the 5 South, for 40 miles @ 75MPH!

Fiat500USA
03-20-2011, 12:48 AM
author="Gavin">
Nice....not sure mine will ever be out of sport mode :)

Gavin

One thing about being out of sport mode is the steering is super easy. This is a very easy car to drive if you want to be lazy;)

Fiat500USA
03-20-2011, 12:49 AM
author="spindoc">
Please post what kind of mileage you're getting (along with any relevant details) here.

I'll get the ball rolling. My first fill-up was 30.6 mpg, combined city and highway. On the second tank I'm averaging 33.2, driving in town only.

Let's make this a sticky!

Jim McKenzie
03-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Laura Soave indicated in her interview for Fader Fort that some PE owners were reporting an average 40-45 miles per gallon. She of course did not indicate that the "official" EPA numbers were wrong, or even imply it, but I inferred that we may do far better than what's on the sticker.

I love the idea of posting mileage, and am especially curious as to how th automatic does once it hits the roads.

ciddyguy
03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
author="Jim McKenzie">
Laura Soave indicated in her interview for Fader Fort that some PE owners were reporting an average 40-45 miles per gallon. She of course did not indicate that the "official" EPA numbers were wrong, or even imply it, but I inferred that we may do far better than what's on the sticker.

I love the idea of posting mileage, and am especially curious as to how th automatic does once it hits the roads.

Jim,

you bring up a very good point and from all the literature about mileage and the speculation of what the US car gets, based on converting the Euro specs to the US measurement has ALWAYS been roughly 5-10 Gal's less than what they get in Europe due to our gallon measurement. Since the UK uses imperial gallon which is larger, they WILL get higher mileage numbers due to the amount of gas their tanks can hold, we on the other hand, have to make do with a slightly smaller gallon measurement and that ALWAYS gives us lower numbers for the SAME car so if some are getting low to mid 40's on the highway here with a US spec car without hypermiling, then that's even better.

But by the same token, we GET a bit larger tank so our capacity is roughly the same so that SHOULD even things out somewhat. But the reason for the bit larger tank was the long distance driving we tend to do, ie, going across country where gas stations are widely spread apart.

I'm guessing roughly 350 miles of strictly freeway driving on a tank to be the min we should expect, even with a small 10.5 Gal tank.

italophile
03-20-2011, 02:32 PM
My current daily driver was originally rated 20/29. When the EPA revised their test a few years back, the official MPG of my car dropped to 17/27. I average about 24 commuting (I don't do a lot of true stop-and-go city driving, however) and 31 on the road, and I've seen as high as 33. Historically, every car I've ever owned has done at least 10% better than the OLD figures, which were supposedly unrealistic and unattainable. I don't know what kind of abuse you have to lay on a car to get down to the new numbers.

That being the case, I'm expecting the highway mileage of my 500 to be at least 40 MPG, and 45 wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially since some owners have already achieved it. I have the feeling we're all going to feel pretty smug about our purchase starting about Memorial Day.

spindoc
03-20-2011, 04:23 PM
OK, on my second tank I got 35.5 mpg - it was about 2/3 in town and 1/3 highway.

After filling up, I got on the Interstate and set the cruise control to 70 mph (no elevation change to speak of). For 51 miles of travel, my mileage was 41.2 mpg!

The next day I did a track event (which I'll write about in a different thread), so of course my mileage went way down. However, in previous cars my on-track mileage has been about 9 mpg, whereas with the 500 it was 16.9!

Flyer
03-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I picked up #353 Evening of Mar17th 2011 which happens to be my 5th anniversary.

I'm living in mid-michigan and Mar 18th, I had business meeting in cincinnati ohio. so, in short, I drove about 850 miles from 48 hours of delivery.

until reached 635 miles(about 1000km) on the odo, I didn't push rev. over 3500 rpm for smooth bed-in.

from first fill up of the gas (golling fiat filled with costco's 87 gas) I got about 375 miles (mostly on high way drive of I-75 & Us-23)out of 9.75 gallons. 2nd fill up by me at speedway gas station with 91 ocatne gas, I got 350 miles out of 9.55 gallon. (After passing 635 miles on the odometer, I pushed up to 4000rpm. nicely speed up just north of 3 digit speed...)

I plan to change oil at about 1K miles with mobile 1 5W-30 full synthetic. from my experiences, at about 2500 miles at on, I could get 'real' steady gas mileage.

Springer2011
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
If you want to see the EPA dyno charts that they use for city and highway mileage see the two links below. For City mileage there are 18 acceleration/deceleration cycles for an average speed of about 20mph. This is why when you drive the speed limit and have a smooth speed curve you get much better mileage than the EPA test results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uddsdds.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hwfetdds.gif

sonicsby5
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Last weekend on a trip from Seattle to Tofino, British Columbia we averaged 37 MPG. I was impressed, I have a bit of a lead foot. So far I love this little car!

Alvon Elrod
03-28-2011, 12:13 AM
#18 checking in here. . . .
Just returned home after 775 mile trip from Ventura, CA to Las Vegas for the weekend, and back to Ventura. On the way to Vegas, I had the cruise set at 80 mph, and averaged just over 36.2 mpg. While in Vegas, we did a lot of stopping at very lengthy red lights on the strip, and a lot of other start and stopping, and test drives for several friends and relatives, and lots more gawking at things in Vegas, and barely averaged 30 mpg for most that. For the trip home, the cruise was set at 70 mph, but we got held up in the usual slow down from Vegas to LA traffic several times, where we crawled along at 5 - 20 mph for a few miles before the traffic opened back up again. The trip meter showed 39.5 mpg when I arrived at home at a fuel station. We filled it up and the real calculation came to 39.1 mpg for the 320 miles home. The average for the whole combined trip was 36.0 mpg.

I had the ECO drive monitor plugged into the USB port for the whole trip, so it will be interesting to see how it analyzes our driving patterns.

You can really great mpg if you work at it. I reset the trip meter after filling up when I got home, then we drove around for a few erands for about 10 miles of round trip driving. The Ave mpg is reading 43.5 mpg for that little segment, which included a lot of starting and stopping (but the car was already warm, of course).

Giallo Edizione
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Just filled my tank for the first time. Avg mpg was 33.6. Driving was probably 70% local and 40mph stuff and the rest was highway, mostly to and from the dealer a couple of times. Not too shabby for first tank and local driving. it had been coming up pretty fast since brand new and settled in at that mark for about the last 50-75 miles. Had those last two little bars remaining on the gas guage and the fill was 8.9 gal.

Giallo Edizione
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Just refilled my tank for the first time. Avg mpg was 33.6. Driving was probably 70% local and 40mph stuff and the rest was highway, mostly to and from the dealer a couple of times. Not too shabby for first tank and local driving. it had been coming up pretty fast since brand new and settled in at that mark for about the last 50-75 miles. Had those last two little bars remaining on the gas guage and the fill was 8.9 gal.

Mike S
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I had 2 bars left and the fill was 9.5 gal. My mileage (if the tank was full from the dealer) was 26.25 almost all city and at idle showing the car.

fiatgal
03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Liking this thread.

(I just had to hijack it for a sec: Alvon, Ventura? I used to live there! Say "hi" to Two Trees for me!)

Can the Eco drive info be analyzed on a Mac?

Alvon Elrod
03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Will do, I do hike up there now and then for the fantastic view!

Minuszka
03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I have a Mac too and downloaded the software, but can't get the data from the USB stick. My dealer told me today that it maybe since the site is for the UK version. He is checking with the regional Fiat rep. I have well over 5 days worth of data on the USB, but when the eco:Drive is on and I insert the stick it still says I need to collect 5 more days of data.

Giallo Edizione
03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Refilled last night and reset before leaving for work this morning. My ride is about 10 miles, two traffic lights, 7 intersection stops, and a stopoff at Starbucks, generally 40-45mph, flats and light hills. Reading at end was 37.6 mpg ( 330 miles on odo). Can't complain if that is going to be the typical mileage for my commute. (I am blessed with the world's best commute).

Fiat500USA
03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
When I was talking in private to the engineers at Fiat/Chrysler, they mentioned that this engine gets better gas mileage than the European version. I'm trying to get some charts from them...

SeaDawg
03-30-2011, 10:59 PM
author="Fiat500USA">
When I was talking in private to the engineers at Fiat/Chrysler, they mentioned that this engine gets better gas mileage than the European version. I'm trying to get some charts from them...

Chris, I'm curious. If you get the opportunity to talk with them again would you ask them about the decision to not fill with synthetic oil and why the really short oil changes for the US as opposed to the 1 year/18,000 mile changes for the European versions? The easy answer is, of course, that we don't get synthetic oil in ours, I suppose. My feeling is that driving conditions would be more likely to dictate shorter change mileage/time interval in Europe than the US.

But wouldn't those of us that believe in the merits of synthetic oil be penalized by having to change it 'before its time' in order to maintain the warranty? Based on the US Owner's Manual.

Thanks!

ciddyguy
03-30-2011, 11:01 PM
author="Fiat500USA">

I would venture to guess it's because we actually get the MultiAir version of this motor whereas the Euro version of the 500 gets the standard 16V version of the same motor and for the longest time, I thought BOTH had the Multiair. :-)

Thad
03-31-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm getting about 34Mpg. But my average speed is only about 26mph.

SeaDawg
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
author="ciddyguy">
I would venture to guess it's because we actually get the MultiAir version of this motor whereas the Euro version of the 500 gets the standard 16V version of the same motor and for the longest time, I thought BOTH had the Multiair. :-)

OH, I was also under the impression that the European 1.4 Liter 100 HP had Multiair. Well, MAYBE, in that case, 'never mind'. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

ciddyguy
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
author="SeaDawg">

author="ciddyguy">

OH, I was also under the impression that the European 1.4 Liter 100 HP had Multiair. Well, MAYBE, in that case, 'never mind'. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Just to throw this out there the MultiAir motor we have was culled from the new Alfa Romeo Mito where it debuted when introduced in 2009.

Fiat500USA
04-01-2011, 02:50 AM
author="SeaDawg">

author="Fiat500USA">

Chris, I'm curious. If you get the opportunity to talk with them again would you ask them about the decision to not fill with synthetic oil and why the really short oil changes for the US as opposed to the 1 year/18,000 mile changes for the European versions? The easy answer is, of course, that we don't get synthetic oil in ours, I suppose. My feeling is that driving conditions would be more likely to dictate shorter change mileage/time interval in Europe than the US.

But wouldn't those of us that believe in the merits of synthetic oil be penalized by having to change it 'before its time' in order to maintain the warranty? Based on the US Owner's Manual.

Thanks!

The engineers were quite proud that they didn't require synthetic oil for the engine. MultiAir technology doesn't specify expensive or special oil with certain additives. Anyone who has a German car will know the pain it is to get the correct oil with the required oil spec.

There is a viscosity sensor on the engine that makes sure the oil is ready to do its job for MultiAir function. If not, it acts more like a conventional valve train. You can use synthetic, which many will do, but it is not required.

The 8,000 mile changes are in line with many cars that have Synthetic oils here in the US. It's not the extreme oil change intervals like in Europe, but there is also a difference in gasoline and sulfur content here.

After the free maintenance is over, you can go to longer intervals, which I think, is close to the end of the warranty, anyway. But, 18,000 miles to me at least, might be pushing it (depending on driving conditions).

Your question is interesting, so I wrote it down and will ask them when I see them. Hopefully in the next month or so.

SeaDawg
04-01-2011, 04:23 AM
author="Fiat500USA">
The engineers were quite proud that they didn't require synthetic oil for the engine. MultiAir technology doesn't specify expensive or special oil with certain additives. Anyone who has a German car will know the pain it is to get the correct oil with the required oil spec.

There is a viscosity sensor on the engine that makes sure the oil is ready to do its job for MultiAir function. If not, it acts more like a conventional valve train. You can use synthetic, which many will do, but it is not required.

The 8,000 mile changes are in line with many cars that have Synthetic oils here in the US. It's not the extreme oil change intervals like in Europe, but there is also a difference in gasoline and sulfur content here.

After the free maintenance is over, you can go to longer intervals, which I think, is close to the end of the warranty, anyway. But, 18,000 miles to me at least, might be pushing it (depending on driving conditions).

Your question is interesting, so I wrote it down and will ask them when I see them. Hopefully in the next month or so.

The MB 300C 2.5 liter V6 that I leased a few years ago, came with Mobil 1 in it, and had 13,000 or 1 year change intervals. The onboard computer tracked miles as well as time. It never used a drop of oil. What an automobile (6 Spd Manual)!!!

I was really hoping we'd get the 6 speed manual with the 1.4 but gather from reading, that structural reinforcments eliminated it from consideration. I'm hoping the Italian will be at least as much fun as the German was. Not as fast but equal amount of FUN!

I agree, 18,000 mi is too long for me too, although I figure Fiat knows more about their engine than I do...I like the 13,000 mi or 1 year change interval though having used it before. But Amsoil makes an Extended Life synthetic that is designed for 10,000 mi or 6 month changes which is probably what I'll switch to. There's one more year of warranty left after the free maintenance ends. By that time, I'll have a good feel whether to stay with the 6 months or extend it to 1 year/13,000 mi with the Amsoil 100% Synthetic (good for 25,000 miles or 1 year). I probably won't have 25,000 miles on the car by the time the warranty ends.

FiatLancia
04-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Odometer just turned 1,000 miles this past week, so as soon as it did, I pulled into a gas station for a fill-up to check the numbers. I'm kind of a mileage nut - I actually have full records for all of my cars. Every gallon of gas, every car. So I can definitely contribute hard numbers to the "real-world mileage" thread.

I was with a group of friends when picking up the car (caravanning to lunch, then to another city to spend the night, etc.), so couldn't fill up until the next morning at around 103 miles (19 were pre-delivery).

First tank: Mostly highway with some city and suburban, plus "errand/commuter" miles.
Trip computer estimated 43.0mpg at average speed 45mph.
Odometer reading 509. Trip 405.0mi. 9.5gal 89-octane. Calculated 42.63mpg.

Second tank: Mixed suburban/errands.
Trip computer estimated 40.2mpg at average speed 30mph.
Odometer reading 835. Trip 326.6mi. 8.5gal 89-octane. Calculated 38.42mpg.

Third tank: Mixed suburban/errands.
Trip computer estimated 40.2mpg at average speed 27mph.
Odometer reading 1001. Trip 165.5mi. 4.0gal 89-octane. Calculated 41.38mpg.

So over the first 898 measured miles, 22 gallons of fuel were used, for an average of 40.82 overall. The trip "B" computer for that period estimated 41.4mpg overall.

It's "normal" driving, to me. Not winning stoplight races, but not being passed by old ladies in Buicks either. Not skip-shifting, shutting car off to coast down hills or at lights, etc. Since I work from home, most use of the car is just running errands - taking my daughter to/from classes, going out for lunch/dinner, picking stuff up at stores, etc. Definitely having fun while driving it, too!

Hope this information is of some help/use to others here.

Shaun Folkerts
Prima #11
www.FiatLancia.com

Shaun Folkerts

2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #11

MINIER than MINI, SMARTER than SMART

fiatgal
04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Great numbers. Very thorough. Thanks!

I have to ask, given I read this in another thread, what is "skip-shifting"? Is it skipping a gear while shifting? I do that sometimes when I downshift. Is that not good? I have a feeling I'm going to learn a thing or two about proper car care reading this forum!

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)

sjmst
04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
34 mpg. My 2002 bmw 330ci with automatic was getting 24 doing the same kind of driving, so I am hoping for a bit better once broken in.

FiatLancia
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
author="FiatGal">

I have to ask, given I read this in another thread, what is "skip-shifting"? Is it skipping a gear while shifting? I do that sometimes when I downshift. Is that not good? I have a feeling I'm going to learn a thing or two about proper car care reading this forum!

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)

Thanks, FiatGal. Skipping shifts is basically a way to get to the highest gear faster. It's not necessarily harmful if done properly, but it could "bog" the engine a bit if not done properly. It's one of many hypermiling techniques out there (Google "hypermiling" and you'll find all sorts of crazy ideas intended to save a fraction of an MPG). What I love best about the 500 concerning mileage is that it's a near-perfect balance between fun and economy. Best of both worlds!

Shaun

CaliberSRT4
04-02-2011, 01:24 PM
author="FiatGal">

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)

With downshifting it is normal to drop a few gears. I often downshift from 6th to 3rd in my car when making a pass. It's not really bad, but you should rev-match to make it smoother when really dropping down so the car doesn't lurch so much.

The skip-shifting refers to upshifting, and is done to maximize fuel economy. Some cars actually do this automatically. If you are accelerating lightly in a Viper in 1st gear (like leaving a routine stoplight) and go to shift into 2nd, the computer gear selector will actually put the car into 4th gear.

spindoc
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Last fill-up mileage was 34.2 on premium gas, in town (suburban) only, with one autocross thrown in - Sport mode, 5-speed. Decided to try regular gas for this fill-up, will see if the mileage (and performance) around town is any different.

Gavin
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
haven't filled up yet (maybe this weekend?)...but so far I've driven about 5 miles of highway and 220 miles of city...so my mileage will be a pretty good example of city only mileage...

of course city driving in Albuquerque is not city driving in LA or NYC...I commute 5 miles by road and it takes around 15 minutes.

Gavin

ps...i am not a hyper mileage kinda rider...fast starts and high revs (it is my scooter training...like to be in front of traffic and not run over by idiots in cars)...but I do coast some in neutral...this car coasts great.

Thad
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
30.5 mpg tonight at fill up calculated by gas and mileage not the computer. My average speed was only 22mph so you can see I did a lot of stopping. Sport mode on always and having fun spirited driving.

Fiat500USA
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
author="FiatLancia">
Odometer just turned 1,000 miles this past week, so as soon as it did, I pulled into a gas station for a fill-up to check the numbers. I'm kind of a mileage nut - I actually have full records for all of my cars. Every gallon of gas, every car. So I can definitely contribute hard numbers to the "real-world mileage" thread.

I was with a group of friends when picking up the car (caravanning to lunch, then to another city to spend the night, etc.), so couldn't fill up until the next morning at around 103 miles (19 were pre-delivery).

First tank: Mostly highway with some city and suburban, plus "errand/commuter" miles.

So over the first 898 measured miles, 22 gallons of fuel were used, for an...

Hi Shaun,

Great job documenting. I've replaced my spirited driving technique from my youth with a more relaxed (mature) style. Smoothness is my goal, and I like to keep the avg mpg up. It might be hard with the 500, at least at first, because it feels good winding it up.

Hopefully, I'll find out soon;)

ciddyguy
04-08-2011, 11:06 PM
author="Fiat500USA">

author="FiatLancia">

So over the first 898 measured miles, 22 gallon

Hi Shaun,

Great job documenting. I've replaced my spirited driving technique from my youth with a more relaxed (mature) style. Smoothness is my goal, and I like to keep the avg mpg up. It might be hard with the 500, at least at first, because it feels good winding it up.

Hopefully, I'll find out soon;)

Oh come now Chris, you know you want to drive it like a mad banshee... I will, once I do buy one myself.

Fiat500USA
04-08-2011, 11:17 PM
author="ciddyguy">
Oh come now Chris, you <i>know</i> you want to drive it like a mad banshee... <smiley image='smiley_wink.gif'/> I will, once I do buy one myself. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

You're right, it will be tough not to rev the heck out of it. My philosophy is: <i>if you want to be quicker, use more revs. </i>However, that is always easier to do when you are driving someone else's car;)

SeaDawg
04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
author="Fiat500USA">
However, that is always easier to do when you are driving someone else's car;)

<smiley image='smiley_evil.gif'/>

Fiat #183
04-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I have gotten 33.7 over a 1500 mile period. The speedo reads high by about 3 % so call it 33.

Giallo Edizione
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I just completed my second tank, mostly local rural driving. 34.5 mpg. My break in period ended by my standards about halfway through this tank and the mileage on the second half was dramatically lower than the first half. Gosh, imagine that! Want fun? Turn on sport, turn off ESC.

Today I filled tank #3 with 93 octane and did a 250 mile round trip all highway, rolling hills of Massachusetts and Connecticut, mostly 70-75 mpg ( or more at times). 38.8 mpg overall. Not bad considering the speeds, right at the EPA estimate. At 55 mph I expect it could be in the 40's ( but I can't drive 55).

Gavin
04-10-2011, 07:18 PM
290 miles of almost all city driving (90% or more)...and I drive fairly fast. 31.4 mpg. 9.239 gallons put in.

Will see if that improves with second tank of gas. Was thinking/hoping to get closer to 35 mpg...I could drive slower or I could stop checking my mileage :)

Gavin

sketch
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
author="italophile">
My current daily driver was originally rated 20/29. When the EPA revised their test a few years back, the official MPG of my car dropped to 17/27. I average about 24 commuting (I don't do a lot of true stop-and-go city driving, however) and 31 on the road, and I've seen as high as 33. Historically, every car I've ever owned has done at least 10% better than the OLD figures, which were supposedly unrealistic and unattainable. I don't know what kind of abuse you have to lay on a car to get down to the new numbers.

That being the case, I'm expecting the highway mileage of my 500 to be at least 40 MPG, and 45 wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially since some owners have already achieved it. I have the feeling we're all going to feel pretty smug about our purchase starting about Memorial Day.

My last car was originally rated 60/51 but adjusted to 48/45 with the new scale. My lifetime average over about 85,000 miles was 38.9 mpg, but I also got the car when I was eighteen, so I drove kinda like a jackass for a while :P. Economy absolutely tanked above 75 on the highway, too.

The trip computer says something like 28mpg in the 500, but it includes 104 pre-delivery miles—took me a day to find the Trip button! Whoops...

sketch
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
author="Gavin">
but I do coast some in neutral...this car coasts great.

This is actually not a good idea! Modern engines, when they are in gear but you're off the accelerator, use no gas at all, simply allowing the wheels to spin the engine. When you take it out of gear, the engine has to burn some gas to keep an idle going.

I typically let it roll in gear until the engine gets down to about 1000 rpm, then pull it out of gear. Don't even need to use the clutch sometimes!

Interestingly, I discovered a while ago while reading through Louisiana's traffic codes that it is actually unlawful to coast to a stop in neutral. Curious. I think it might have something to do with accident avoidance€”can't move out of the way if you can't make it move at all, after all.

Scorpion
04-12-2011, 01:49 AM
That's a very good point sketch, about coasting in N vs. in gear. I was about to offer up that info until I got to your post. Many people don't realize it, because it does seem counter-intuitive.

I like that FiatLancia has provided both the computer numbers vs. real-world calculations. I've always been use to doing my own calculations, having never had a car that provided that info. It will be interesting going forward to see how close the two are. It seems (by his example at least) that the computer is a bit optimistic, but not by much.

My first tank was 34.8 calculated, which was weighted more toward Highway. I'm on my second tank now, which was mostly City. I'm about to fill up again. So, I'll see what that number is and post it here.

BTW, I've been using mymilemarker.com to track my mileage for over four years, and really like it.

sjmst
04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm up to 36 MPG on average. <smiley image='anim_claps.gif'/>

sketch
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh, I'd also like to point out that the skip shift system found on cars like the Corvette and Pontiac G8 GXP is only there because it allows the models in question to avoid a heavy gas guzzler tax.

The system, if you are accelerating in 1st gear between about 14 and 25 mph, with less than 35% throttle, a "1->4" light will illuminate on the dash and a solenoid will prevent you from moving the shifter into second. It's pretty annoying; I usually just give it a little more gas so it doesn't make me do it.

Of course, with the monstrous gobs of low-end torque in those LS engines, you can pretty much spend all day in 4th if you want! Not really a luxury we have with our little one-point-fours, but rowing through all the gears to keep it up in that peak power range is more fun, anyway! :p

Giallo Edizione
04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
36.7 mpg, about 2/3 highway. 3rd tank.

ciddyguy
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
<quote author="Giallo Edizione">
36.7 mpg, about 2/3 highway. 3rd tank.
</quote>

I take it that's combined cycle, right? If so, we are far exceeding the estimates set by the EPA.

Gavin
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
<quote author="Gavin">
290 miles of almost all city driving (90% or more)...and I drive fairly fast. 31.4 mpg. 9.239 gallons put in.

Will see if that improves with second tank of gas. Was thinking/hoping to get closer to 35 mpg...I could drive slower or I could stop checking my mileage :)

Gavin
</quote>

Ok second tank.

this time almost all highway driving (about 250 miles highway, 30 miles city...aprox)...39.4 mpg.

hoping it all evens out to be about 32 in city and 40 on highway

Gavin

sketch
04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
My average over 1452 miles is 31.7 mpg. This is mostly highway driving. I didn't make the EPA estimate, but I haven't been driving at EPA speeds, either! :P

Gavin
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
almost 1500 miles so far? dang you people drive sooooo much more than I do....

I'm at 550 and that is only because I took a trip this weekend and put over 200 miles on her in one day...I still bet I have less than 4k on the odometer when she hits her first birthday.

Gavin

sketch
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Haha, well, delivery did happen to fall just a week before a planned trip up to Blacksburg, VA and back... before that, I put 350 miles or so on it in the first week of city driving. Should hit 2000 by day's end!

lirandy
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Finally finished up my first tank of gas last weekend and pumped some gas. It ran around 285 miles with 9.38 gal of gas - came up with a 30.3mpg on my first tank of gas. Pretty impressive number since I did A LOT of short distance commutes, stop-n-go traffics, and city driving. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
The stop and go really kill the mileage! I'm at 40mpg on my commute, but as soon as I visit a city, it plummets! I'd love to see what's the most I can get... I guess I'll have to wait for my vacation.

jvsgabriel
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Well had about a month's worth of driving done, and about 3 gas tanks full as well. I am getting about 35-6 mpg. I use the Ipod app called Road Trip, and also using the car's computer as well, to get the mileage average. But as an aside, still haven't found the secret to getting the Eco-drive to work on the car. I would love to see how I drive. As my commute is a bit on the short side, with about equal freeway and city driving. My commute is about 9 miles, with about 5 miles of freeway and the rest of course as city driving.

Joel

Prima 109
04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Check the Fiat website, it's been updated as of last week and Ecodrive's logo is on the site when you select the "cars" tab. I uninstalled ecodrive & reinstalled goiing throught the US site. Just need to ddrive the car and collect some data.

spindoc
04-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Last fill-up mileage was 35.0 on premium gas, in town (suburban) only.

Previous fill-up I tried regular gas. Mileage was the exact same, 35.0, but performance wasn't as good.

jvsgabriel
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Ok just came back from a nice trip to Los Angeles, round trip on 1 tank of gas, averaged exactly 40 mpg (402 miles). And this trip had everything, traffic, city driving, freeway driving (0-80mph, it is LA) and Ave speed was about 39mph. Great little car, and I was complaining about the AC, but no more, it performed excellently. Temps of about 80-90 degrees, and the AC did just fine, set it and forget it. The car even took those darn LA expansion freeway joints with ease and civility. Overall my wife and I are very happy with the car.

Can't wait till later this month, hopefully Madness 500 will have those blasted ClimAir deflectors through customs. Then it is another drive up to LA. Signal Hill here we come.

And then yesterday, got my first sight of another 500 down here in San Diego. It was a Bianco, and he did a little honk and a thumbs up as he passed me up on the freeway. I was just getting to my exit. Should we have an "official" hand sign, say thumbs up, or a hang loose or some salute as we honk at each other? A La mini drivers? I think that would be fun. Well so happy for getting the car, and more and more people are coming up to me and asking questions about it.

Joel, #366 "Ittius Bittius" Chuseppi

jamesday24
05-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Mine gets better with each tank. I'm over 1300 miles now. My last tank was 36.0 mpg. Halfway through my current tank and I'm showing 36.9 mpg. This is all city driving. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
05-04-2011, 01:12 AM
author="jvsgabriel">
Ok just came back from a nice trip to Los Angeles, round trip on 1 tank of gas, averaged exactly 40 mpg (402 miles). And this trip had everything, traffic, city driving, freeway driving (0-80mph, it is LA) and Ave speed was about 39mph. Great little car, and I was complaining about the AC, but no more, it performed excellently. Temps of about 80-90 degrees, and the AC did just fine, set it and forget it. The car even took those darn LA expansion freeway joints with ease and civility. Overall my wife and I are very happy with the car.

Can't wait till later this month, hopefully Madness 500 will have those blasted ClimAir deflectors through customs. Then it is another drive up to LA. Signal Hill here we come.

And then yesterday, got my first sight of another 500 down here in San Diego. It was a Bianco, and he did a little honk and a thumbs up as he passed me up on the freeway. I was just getting to my exit. Should we have an "official" hand sign, say thumbs up, or a hang loose or some salute as we honk at each other? A La mini drivers? I think that would be fun. Well so happy for getting the car, and more and more people are coming up to me and asking questions about it.

In the "old days" we flashed the lights. I remember riding with my Dad and seeing other Fiats flash their lights at us to say hi. It made an impression on me, people just didn't do that sought of stuff in the '64 Plymouth we had before the Fiat.

HotFIAT.com
05-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Here is an aberration for this thread. If I pound it around town with sport button on I get about 27. If I drive like an old f**t I can get 32. I left Monterey for a San Francisco meeting for the fabrication of carbon fiber bits for our Fiats and reset the mileage since this would be my first highway trip. Up and back with 90% freeway and 10% city i got 31 MPG!! NO, not a misprint. I averaged around 80 mph with some 85. One brief stint to 110 (NO FLOAT at all). I guess if you do much over 65 mph that snub nose is pushing hard at that air. My car now has 3000 miles on it. Any one else have low mpg at higher speeds?
The more I drive it the more I like it. I love buying regular gas for the first time in my life. With 1/4 bar left on the tank it only takes 9.5 gal of gas.

Fiat500USA
05-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Regrettably, I haven't been able to go on any steady state highway trips, so I don't know what my mileage would be. I'm dieing to find out. I'm sure you're correct about the shape taking its toll on the mileage at speed. Here are some general statistics on speed vs fuel economy:

-3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2911922/different_cars.png.jpg
I love filling this car up, 9.5 gallons makes for a quick gas stop!

HotFIAT.com
05-07-2011, 09:25 AM
That splains the low mileage at speed. Probably hit 5 mpg at the 110 mark. I was pleasantly surprised
it hit 110. Makes me wonder what top speed is. Anyone know?

Fiat500USA
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
author="Rick">
That splains the low mileage at speed. Probably hit 5 mpg at the 110 mark. I was pleasantly surprised
it hit 110. Makes me wonder what top speed is. Anyone know?

Check this out! (http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/05/2012-fiat-500-sport-lets-just-get-this-out-of-the-way.html)

HotFIAT.com
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
So 120? I figured it would be maybe mid teens or so. (And prob is with speedo error)
I doubt that this guy was on a closed course. I've never seen a 2 mile long straight closed course.
I should have thought to take a photo.

mtnroadbiker
05-09-2011, 11:07 PM
1st tank and 10 days owenership info display says 42.3 and I get 40.9 (miles/gal). First 300 miles I tried to keep it under 3k rpms and under 60mph. After that went over 3k and >70mph a couple of times, but nothing excessive yet. Probably 80% highway and other 20% stop/go type driving and I have not yet used 'sport' mode. My other primary car is a Prius (50.9mpg since last oil change), which probably best explains why I get good mileage in the Fiat. (#483).

jamesday24
05-09-2011, 11:49 PM
My last two tanks were driven entirely in Sport mode around town and both averaged 36.0 mpg. I'm trying to drive the current tankful without Sport mode and I'm already seeing an increase to over 40 mpg. Driving isn't nearly as fun though. <smiley image='smiley_unhappy.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
4th tank 33.7 mpg. maybe 25% highway, using sport mode a little less than half the time.

apex97
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I have 2450 miles on #205 now and have typically been getting about 33 mpg driving it VERY hard. We just took a trip from Atlanta to Orlando with two adults and two kids with a full truck and still got 36mpg going between 75-80mph most of the time.
The car seems to have more power and get better milege the more its driven.

spider2081
05-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Just curious anyone is actually calculating their mileage or are you depending on the cars computed mileage. The reason I ask is , I was using my GPS for a 50 highway trip and the cars speedometer reads consistently 3 MPH faster than the GPS shows. That is further off than my other cars. I'm not sure but is the car's computer sees the wrongs speed it might also see the wrong distance and calculate the the MPG a little high.
I know the error is small but I am still curious how everyone is checking their mileage.

sketch
05-13-2011, 07:07 PM
It's common for speedometers to read higher than your actual speed since federal law (and those of most countries) allows for speedometer error in only that direction, to prevent accidental speeding.

I use Fuelly to track my fuel economy. It does the miles/gallons calculation for me, but I also record all the trip information (fuel economy, average speed, travel time).

For the eight tanks I've done so far, the display has read between 0.2 and 2.0 miles per gallon over the actual figure; it's typically around ~1mpg optimistic, but it varies. This is pretty similar to the average MPG reading in my Prius.

Giallo Edizione
05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
author="sketch">
It's common for speedometers to read higher than your actual speed since federal law (and those of most countries) allows for speedometer error in only that direction, to prevent accidental speeding.

Hmm. Is that the reason our clocks run slow?

FiatLancia
05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Just turned 2000 miles. Overall MPG during that time (March 10-May 14) is 42.8 according to the trip computer, and around 42.3 calculated. And yes, I do calculate mpg (miles/gallons) with each fillup and have records for every gallon of gas ever put in my Prima, except those initially put in in Toluca.... I find the computer estimates about .5mpg high.

Getting better with each tank. Right now, about 1/2 through the current tank, I'm getting 45.7 (computer) in mainly suburban driving (80%) with some city (10%) and some highway (10%).

One of the nicest surprises of this car has been the MPG exceeding our (and EPA's) expectations.

Rossonero404
05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
So far i only have 550 miles but have only been able to average about 27mpg. I really only do city driving with only a few very short highway runs. My commute to work everyday is only a few miles to the next town over. I'm wondering if my mileage will get better, it seems to be stuck on 27 for a while now. I live in the boston area where roads are short, lots of stops and lights, not exactly suburban sprawl. I'm thinking since i have such few miles it will eventually get better due to some trips down the highway into to Boston. Even just "city" driving, i would hope to do better than this so far.

HotFIAT.com
05-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I have 3,500 miles on #373 now and find that in town it ranges from 27 to 33. If you drive it like a Porsche and keep the sport button on you will hit lower end of range. Drive like your granny and you can get 33. Since you are putting reg. gas in it, enjoy it for what it can do!

Rossonero404
05-24-2011, 10:21 AM
27-33 is what i figured. I do put premium gas however. To me (and others) its totally worth it and for such a small tank the difference in cost is negligible, $2 a tank. My driving style is mixed, but i find since this car does so well on gas i tend to drive easy to see if i can get the average mpg up.

Prima148
05-24-2011, 11:28 AM
800 miles, 34 mpg. It's about 50/50 between interstate and a very very hilly city slog.

The fuel gauge is a little peculiar though -- 1 minute I'm fine, the next I'm suddenly low fuel.

sketch
05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
[QUOTW]author="rossonero404">
So far i only have 550 miles but have only been able to average about 27mpg. I really only do city driving with only a few very short highway runs. My commute to work everyday is only a few miles to the next town over. I'm wondering if my mileage will get better, it seems to be stuck on 27 for a while now. I live in the boston area where roads are short, lots of stops and lights, not exactly suburban sprawl.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's most likely all it is. Short trips never yield good results because the worst time for fuel economy is that first five or ten minute period when the engine is still warming up.

My worst tank so far was my last, 30.0mpg with 100% city driving. Best is 33.5mpg on a 100% highway tank. Lifetime average is 31.6mpg, tracked over 2311 miles.

I've been hovering around 33.2 or so for this tank on the display. I've actually been trying to be economical on this tank, to an extent, so we'll see how that pays off.

Thad
05-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm finding that what is killing my good mpgs is the time I spend at red lights. I can watch the numbers drop as I sit there. Now I see where the start and stop systems help out.

SeaDawg
05-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Filled up today... 5.643 gallons, 186.7 miles = 33.07 mpg. Mostly in town but including a few crosstown trips on our east-west expressway. Premium gas only.

jamesday24
05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm now at 2500 miles.

Cumulative 32.5 mpg = 2492 miles / 76.705 gallons.

I am either driving 30-40 mph around town or 70-80 mph on the highway, but rarely in the best range from 50-60 mph.

SeaDawg
05-25-2011, 12:28 AM
author="Thad">
I'm finding that what is killing my good mpgs is the time I spend at red lights. I can watch the numbers drop as I sit there. Now I see where the start and stop systems help out.

And as I understand it, Fiat has the 'start and stop' systems on 500's in Europe.

jcunny33
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now but have decided to make my first post.

I bought my red sport 500 on 5/19/11 in South Atlanta and already have 1882 miles on it. My wife and I just completed a trip from Tennessee up to Waynesboro, Virginia via Interstate then drove the 469 miles back down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I Absolutely love this car and plan to do a full review soon. (I need to know the best place to do my review here on the forum).

Here is my MPG report:

391.6 miles/9.43 gals = 41.5 mpg (Interstate 68 to 70 w/cruise) (computer said 42.6)
283.8 miles/7.48 gals = 37.9 mpg (Blue Ridge Parkway w/many stops/starts) (computer said 39.7)
336.9 miles/8.60 gals = 38.9 mpg (Blue Ridge Parkway then to Sevierville, Tn) (computer said 40.7)

Blue Ridge Parkway speed limit of 45.

Driving home from Sevierville to home via Interstate experimenting 70 to 85 mph computer is showing 39.5 avg. w/too much fuel left to refill yet.

This little red buggy (as was referred to by an older gentleman at one stop when he asked me about my gas mileage) is wonderful whether on sharp turns through the mountains or on the interstate!

Fiat500USA
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now but have decided to make my first post.

I bought my red sport 500 on 5/19/11 in South Atlanta and already have 1882 miles on it. My wife and I just completed a trip from Tennessee up to Waynesboro, Virginia via Interstate then drove the 469 miles back down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I Absolutely love this car and plan to do a full review soon. (I need to know the best place to do my review here on the forum).

Here is my MPG report:

391.6 miles/9.43 gals = 41.5 mpg (Interstate 68 to 70 w/cruise) (computer said 42.6)
283.8 miles/7.48 gals = 37.9 mpg (Blue Ridge Parkway w/many stops/starts) (computer said 39.7)
336.9 miles/8.60 gals = 38.9 mpg (Blue Ridge Parkway then to Sevierville, Tn) (computer said 40.7)

Blue Ridge Parkway speed limit of 45.

Driving home from Sevierville to home via Interstate experimenting 70 to 85 mph computer is showing 39.5 avg. w/too much fuel left to refill yet.

This little red buggy (as was referred to by an older gentleman at one stop when he asked me about my gas mileage) is wonderful whether on sharp turns through the mountains or on the interstate!

Hi jcunny33,

Welcome to the forum! I'm planning a trip to Tennessee and will also hit the Blue Ridge Highway, I love that road.

I'll let you know where to post a review, that sounds great!

mtnroadbiker
06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
update: 1st 3 tanks (display(reset at fill up)/cumulativeAvg(since last oil chg)/measured)

42.3/42.3/40.9
38.6/40.5/38.2
39.5/40.0/39.0

Looks like .5 mpg diff between display and measured. Got almost 1200 miles on it now.

I've been playing with Instant and it is quite Italian (aka: Strange)... A couple of days ago it said 106 miles range and after a 24 mile ride to work it said 102... and lunch I took it out for just a couple of miles and it dropped to 36 miles... after work I drove about 30 mintues in town and it went down to 32... I drove real conservative after that to see how long it would stay at 32 range... was able to get home about 20 min at about 60mph and almost all the way to work next day... it dropped to 31. Went out at lunch and was able to keep it at 32... The next time I started it gas light came on and range dropped to "--------". I filled up this eve and it took 9.7gal leaving about .8 of a gallon. --- PE#483

PS - still haven't pushed it much as I've got a 1994 Miata "M" that is a blast to drive hard (but not fast). The mileage doesn't change more than about 1 mpg if I baby it or kick the s*** out of it. My wife likes the Fiat manual better than the Mazda. Jus

FiatLancia
06-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Prima 11 just hit 3000 measured miles, although the car's odometer is at 3112 because I drove 100 or so miles from the dealer before first fill-up. I had hoped to stop for gas at EXACTLY 3000.0 miles, but unfortunately, we were running late for my daughter's soccer game that day, so we fueled up on the way home at 3008.6. Close enough to base these numbers on 3000 miles of driving. Sorry if the columns don't hold...I don't know how else to present a "table":

Date - Odometer - Trip - Gallons - Ave MPH - Indicated MPG - Actual MPG
3/11 103 n/a 3.528 n/a n/a n/a
3/12 509 405.0 9.500 45 43.0 42.63
3/26 835 326.0 8.500 30 40.2 38.85
3/30 1001 165.5 4.000 27 40.2 41.38
4/9 1352 350.8 8.900 34 43.0 39.42
5/7 1753 401.0 9.400 29 44.0 42.66
5/19 2160 407.6 9.000 33 45.6 45.29
5/21 2549 388.6 9.000 46 44.9 43.18
5/22 2899 350.0 8.000 49 45.2 43.75
5/28 3112 213.1 4.800 33 45.4 44.40

At last fill-up, my "B" odometer (overall ownership of car) was reading 3008.6 miles, 43.5 average mpg, 36 mph average speed. So the car's mpg estimates are optimistic by approximately 1mpg, which is just about the same I experience in my other cars (Audi, BMW, Toyota, etc.) with trip computers.

Summing the 71.1 gallons that were used over that same 3008.6 miles results in a calculated mpg of 42.315.

Most was suburban driving (taking daughter to classes, running errands, etc.) with a little city and a little highway mixed in. Two of the fill-ups (5/21 and 5/22) were mostly highway, driving 2 hrs each way out to Carlisle and back for the import show for two days. Interestingly, the highway mpg seems to be no better or worse than "errand" driving as you can see by comparing average speed to calculated mpg.

Since I started recording cumulative changes in the "B" measurements with the fill-up on 4/9, the average mpg has gone from 41.9 to 42.3 to 43.0 to 43.3 to 43.5 to 43.5...a nice increase with each successive fill-up, a good indication that the car's mpg actually does increase the more it's used. Cumulative average speeds over that same timeframe went from 34 to 33 and then up to its current 36 for the last 3 tankfulls.

May be taking the car on a long (2000+ mile) roadtrip this month (still haven't decided which car to take), so it'll be interesting to see if "all highway, all the time" changes much if we do end up driving our 500.

I'll continue to track mileages for those here interested in such things.

Happy driving, all!

Shaun

Giallo Edizione
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
5th tank. 33.7mpg. Mostly local, sport button on as much as I can remember to do it.

mtnroadbiker
06-02-2011, 12:10 PM
update: 1st 3 tanks (display(reset at fill up)/cumulativeAvg(since last oil chg)/measured)

42.3/42.3/40.9
38.6/40.5/38.2
39.5/40.0/39.0

Looks like .5 mpg diff between display and measured. Got almost 1200 miles on it now.

I've been playing with Instant and it is quite Italian (aka: Strange)... A couple of days ago it said 106 miles range and after a 24 mile ride to work it said 102... and lunch I took it out for just a couple of miles and it dropped to 36 miles... after work I drove about 30 mintues in town and it went down to 32... I drove real conservative after that to see how long it would stay at 32 range... was able to get home about 20 min at about 60mph and almost all the way to work next day... it dropped to 31. Went out at lunch and was able to keep it at 32... The next time I started it gas light came on and range dropped to "--------". I filled up this eve and it took 9.7gal leaving about .8 of a gallon. --- PE#483

PS - still haven't pushed it much as I've got a 1994 Miata "M" that is a blast to drive hard (but not fast). The mileage doesn't change more than about 1 mpg if I baby it or kick the s*** out of it. My wife likes the Fiat manual better than the Mazda. Just ordered custom tag for it "IT JOB"... unlike the movie of same name the name fits the Fiat better than the featured (German) Mini's in the movie.

italophile
06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I finally picked up my car and got almost 44 MPG for the 225-mile trip home(43.8 by the trip computer, 43.9 by long division). The journey was a mix of two-lane highway and interstate, the first 1/3 of which was mountains.

I was going pretty easy on it for break-in purposes, but still, 40+ should be the rule on the highway. Can't beat that with a stick!

Giallo Edizione
06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
34.7mpg. Tank 6. About 40% highway.

Giallo Edizione
06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Chris. maybe you could set up a poll with a series of ranges on this thread so folks can just click in their mileage rather that write a post? maybe 30-31, 32-33, 34-35 and so on to say 41+. Allow multiple "votes" of course. That way we can see the aggregate trends quickly.

panther76
06-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey Chris. maybe you could set up a poll with a series of ranges on this thread so folks can just click in their mileage rather that write a post? maybe 30-31, 32-33, 34-35 and so on to say 41+. Allow multiple "votes" of course. That way we can see the aggregate trends quickly.

it would also help out if people specified if they are driving a manual or auto transmission.

PFVA63
06-08-2011, 10:31 PM
On my 1st tank on my new Pop with a standard transmission I averaged 33.2 mpg (according to the computer) in a mix of city, suburb, and highway driving. The computer listed my average speed as 22 mph for that period.

For the first couple of days I didn't know how to use the computer, and I think I may have been over accelerating in the lower gears. However, once I found out how to display the instantaneous economy and also once I found the recommended shift points in the manual, I found that my overall mpg began to increase, so I'm hoping that maybe I might be able to do better now on my current tank. :)

Regards

PF

panther76
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
finally picked up my car in indy today. on the 220 mile trip back to michigan, the computer showed 44.3 mpg. this is what i expected i could do with the manual 500. this was 75-80% highway at 45-60 mph. pretty good conditions for some good mileage.

this was after some idling this morning while fiddling around with some stuff:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/roxy84_photos/001-5.jpg

Chris
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Picked mine up today with 10 miles on the Odo. After the drive home, a few brief laps on some twisties and various degrees of testing how to drive it, averaged 34.2 (6 speed auto) on day one.

FiatLancia
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Uploaded a video of Prima #11's trip computer readings over exactly 3500.0 recorded miles of use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsTv1Inlc8

The car continues to impress in terms of economy. Will be adding some serious highway miles in June and July, so will provide an update once we're home again!

Chris
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Nice- Stick? I'll have to lighten the foot on my 6 speed to get near that.

New Fiat owner
06-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I have a 2004 Prius which gets 42-45 MPG in mixed highway and city driving. I just bought a Fiat 500 Sport with 5-speed manual transmission. Driving in the usual fashion, I was pulling in 33 MPG on the same route. When I consciously tried to slowly accelerate, shift before 2000 RPM and coast for deceleration, I was able to achieve 40-42 MPG (it wasn't fun and the engine lugged a great deal). The conclusion to this story is that driving style has a huge impact on gas mileage and if you are willing to take a slower, more relaxed approach to driving, > 40 MPG is possible with the Fiat 500.

Giallo Edizione
06-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Tank 7: 34.1mpg. This 34 range seems to be fairly consistent for me for mixed driving conditions and mostly eco mode. Sport mode assures a loss of 1-2mpg. Not sure if its my foot or the engine adjustments-probably both.

Red Barchetta
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I am at 37.7 on my first fill-up, 38.4 since day one.

F500
06-19-2011, 12:42 PM
pls excuse me for not going through all 11 pages of this thread, but is anyone using 'fuelly.com'? I signed up with my wifes Prius and went ahead and put my info in for my soon to arrive 500 Sport. some of my friends on one of the smart car forums post their numbers on 'fuelly' and let it track their progress. thought I would try it too.

anyone on here have experience with 'fuelly.com'?

cogtooth
06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I can't get better than about 35 or 36 mpg. I surmise that many of you don't live in a hilly area which does in any car's mileage.

Chris
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
(6-spd auto Sport) - I have pics to post but while driving six hours interstate across Wisconsin Friday and remaining decidely conservative on the pedal... I maintained AvA ~47mpg for about 20 minutes on a long gentle stretch... overall... the trip averaged ~38mpg... with Saturday being an 8 hour backwoods heavy pedaled fun-run including a twisty and very hilly old route through Amish country that found me giggling over how fun this little bugger is to drive and the last two hours in heavy rain.

jamesday24
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I reset with each fill-up and I'm still creeping higher with each tank. Currently at 38.1 mpg in mixed driving in my standard Prima Edizione.

PFVA63
06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Today I took a trip from my home in Falls Church VA to my companies main office in Glen burnie MD (about 48 miles or so) and I averaged 49.9 mpg on the way up. On the way back I cut the Washington DC (to pick something up at my current office) and also stopped for dinner in Arlington. Overall on the total round trip (just over 100 miles) I ended up averaging 46.3 mpg.

Regards

Pat

Fiat500USA
06-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I can't get better than about 35 or 36 mpg. I surmise that many of you don't live in a hilly area which does in any car's mileage.

Have you tried the eco:Drive program? It really makes you conscious of how shifting effects the mileage. Also, the sport setting doesn't help. The other thing to look at is the octane you use. You may want to experiment with that. I live on top of a mountain and it's all hilly around here. I average about 40 mpg in my rural 15 mile, 10 stop commute ( that's with short shifting and the sport button off).

PFVA63
06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
If you don't have Blue&Me (like on my car) you can set your display to show you your instantaneous MPG. When I first got my car I didn't realize that it would display all that kind of information. Once I started messing with it though I found my initial mpg was only about 26.4 or so, but it started to go up a lot as I started to pay more attention to my shifts and how I accelerated and how hose were impacting my instantaneous numbers.

Regards

Pat

cogtooth
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
It is called physics. One can calculate how much energy it takes to raise a certain amount of weight (a car) 1000 feet of vertical. It is not possible to use ecodrive which tells you to shift at certain rpms when you would not make it up the hill at that rpm. Climbing my 20% grade hill (it's short) can be as little at 10 mpg on the uphill, and one never recovers it fully on the downhill.

FiatLancia
06-22-2011, 06:47 AM
If you don't have Blue&Me (like on my car) you can set your display...

Blue&Me is NOT related to EcoDrive. Blue&Me is the in-car Bluetooth/voice recognition that pairs the car with your cell phone, gps, etc. EcoDrive is a downloadable software program that installs on your computer from the internet (independent of your car's configuration) and analyzes data that is obtained from your car through the USB slot in the glovebox onto a thumbdrive, which both sets up EcoDrive on your car and then imports that data to the EcoDrive program on your computer. As far as I know, all North American 500 models have the USB slot and are EcoDrive compatible (owners need to do the download and setup work), regardless of whether or not the car has Blue&Me.

But yes, the trip computer functions are very interesting and helpful in boosting fuel economy.

PFVA63
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I believe that the USB connector is part of the Blue&Me package. My car (without Blue&Me) only has a simple audio jack in the glove compartment.

Pat

PFVA63
06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
PS. If you go to the eco: Drive website (here (http://www.fiat.com/ecodrive/)) you can see where it indicates that "You'll need Blue&Me™ in your Fiat to use eco: Drive."

Regards

Pat

Fiat500USA
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
It is called physics. One can calculate how much energy it takes to raise a certain amount of weight (a car) 1000 feet of vertical. It is not possible to use ecodrive which tells you to shift at certain rpms when you would not make it up the hill at that rpm. Climbing my 20% grade hill (it's short) can be as little at 10 mpg on the uphill, and one never recovers it fully on the downhill.

What ecoDrive did for me is demonstrate the efficiency of driving with low rpm and large throttle openings. I have some huge hills to get up. The challenge is to find the lowest rpm the engine can still pull without lugging. Of course, it's easier to do on level roads. When you get it right, you see the big mpg numbers. It makes driving the speed limit a little more interesting and involving. It also makes you appreciate pressing the sport button;)

hoicho
06-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Having my Sport - Auto almost a month, my MPG was within 32. I had gotten little bit improve to 34 on my last tank.

cogtooth
06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I've used ecodrive the same as you, and agree that it is fun to work on mpg numbers (and also saving the sport button for rare use). I just wanted to make the point that regarding the terrain and commuting conditions one must navigate, one may never see as high of mileage as some drivers are reporting.

mtnroadbiker
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
6 tanks (about 2200 miles) (display(reset at fill up)/cumulativeAvg(since last oil chg)/measured)

42.3/42.3/40.9
38.6/40.5/38.2
39.5/40.0/39.0
41.6/40.2/41.7
39.3/40.0/37.7
40.9/40.2/40.2

averages:
39.6/40.2/40.4

My Eco-score was 66 a couple of days ago when I finally got the thing to work and enough days of history... now it's up to 68 (it's still chiding me about not shifting at 2k).

Fiat500USA
06-24-2011, 12:18 AM
I've used ecodrive the same as you, and agree that it is fun to work on mpg numbers (and also saving the sport button for rare use). I just wanted to make the point that regarding the terrain and commuting conditions one must navigate, one may never see as high of mileage as some drivers are reporting.

True dat;)

Fiat500USA
06-24-2011, 12:48 AM

That's a great idea. Sorry it took so long. I've left the poll up indefinitely, so we can track it over time.

popcommuter
06-24-2011, 04:20 PM
I've got almost 1700 miles on the Pop. Overall Average is 36.9(actual calc), mostly highway commute, but plenty of stop & go through Livermore.
I made the trip home one day & averaged 47.2(trip calc), granted I was driving conservatively with no a/c on.
But its much more fun to take the backroad twisties.

cogtooth
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM

I drove my first mostly interstate 100 miles, away from my hilly area, using cruise control and ecodriving as much as possible. I obtained 46.6 mpg for the first 95 miles, and then I then I hit my neighborhood hills. The last 5 miles dropped my total average to 43.3 mpg, so my area definitely hurts my fuel usage. I'll be interested in seeing if today gives me a better ecoscore than my usual 66. My 500 is a manual, and AC was used the whole time which is not usual for me.

Doodles
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Are you getting the mileage results from the on board computer thing,
or are you getting it from the old fashioned way of filling tank and seeing
how many miles you've gone? To me this is the only way of really computing
mileage per gallon...The other way to me might not be very accurate.

panther76
06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Are you getting the mileage results from the on board computer thing,
or are you getting it from the old fashioned way of filling tank and seeing
how many miles you've gone? To me this is the only way of really computing
mileage per gallon...The other way to me might not be very accurate.

i know after 2 fillups that my computer has been less than .5 mpg's off from the actual calculation (miles driven divided by gallons used).

2nd fillup even better than the first...43.6 mpg.

Chris
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
^Ditto- my digital mileage versus pencil and paper have been about the same.

My average of all miles since leaving the dealer is at 34 (auto trans). Current tank is averaging about 31, all in town and me being lead-footed. ;)

RJJ
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I might need some help here - best I've been able to do in the city is 20.7 MPG (per the car itself - I haven't tried the old fashioned way yet)

It's automatic, the a/c has been blasting since day one, it's in non-sport mode, it's a relatively hilly city but I drive like a little old lady.

fiatgal
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Is there any way to correct/amend my average mpg in the poll?

When I voted, I still hadn't even touched the A and B trip computers, and here on the poll I just gave the average mpg that showed. Obviously, it was showing my average mpg since owning the car. After viewing Shaun's video clip (can I just say, "wow!!!) I fuddled with those two trip computers, and with my adjusted driving style of shifting earlier, my average mpg jumped to 38.6, and that's mostly in-town errands driving.

Fiat500USA
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Is there any way to correct/amend my average mpg in the poll?

When I voted, I still hadn't even touched the A and B trip computers, and here on the poll I just gave the average mpg that showed. Obviously, it was showing my average mpg since owning the car. After viewing Shaun's video clip (can I just say, "wow!!!) I fuddled with those two trip computers, and with my adjusted driving style of shifting earlier, my average mpg jumped to 38.6, and that's mostly in-town errands driving.

Hi fiatgal,

I adjusted it. I wanted to have the poll allow multiple votes, but somehow I hit the wong button (something to do with doing stuff at 2AM;). No problem, I can adjust it. Anyone else who wants to update their average, just PM me and I'll take care of it.

kingcrestpkwy
07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
My first 150 miles and the average mpg according to the trip computer is 26.7 almost all city driving.

FiatGusto
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
My first 150 miles and the average mpg according to the trip computer is 26.7 almost all city driving.

My Sport auto is getting the same; 26-27 at best. The best I can get on freeway driving is 31. Not a heavy foot, just real numbers for an average 70 year old car guy. But that said, LOVE my 500!
FiatGusto

SeaDawg
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Leadfoot!:D

It should improve with miles. Even the automatic should be able to beat the EPA figures.

Giallo Edizione
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Just did a long weekend trip from Boston area up to Bar Harbor Maine. About 750 miles overall, averaged 40.9 mpg per the trip computer. About 50% of the drive was interstate highway 65-75mpg, 25% rolling coastal 2 lane highway 50-55mpg and the rest hilly local driving, with a wifely passenger/navigator and clothing, gear and a mandolin stowed in back. Better than I had expected ( had anticipated 37-38 mpg). Trip B cumulative since new reading is about 35.6 mpg at about 3,000 miles. Never got weary on the journey from noise or driving position-I was behind the wheel for about 7 hours on the last day. My wife commented how comfortable she was the whole trip (I did all the driving but for 1 hour or so). Surprisingly good little long distance driver. Bar Harbor was a lot of fun over the 4th, by the way, for anyone who has thought about going there. Car got plenty of looks too. I should have slipped it into the parade behind the Shriners' little cars and trucks.

panther76
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
3 full tanks now.

worst tank is 42.9 (trip computer)/42.6 (actual calculated mileage)......reasonable driving, 65-70% highway/suburban, nothing drastic

the poll should let us record each time we have a new tank. due to most owners having very few tanks to go on, the poll is rather limited.

Giallo Edizione
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
3 full tanks now.

worst tank is 42.9 (trip computer)/42.6 (actual calculated mileage)......reasonable driving, 65-70% highway/suburban, nothing drastic

the poll should let us record each time we have a new tank. due to most owners having very few tanks to go on, the poll is rather limited.

That's pretty good! Down hill both ways?

Fiat500USA
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
3 full tanks now.

Well, I've tried to edit the poll to allow multiple votes. It doesn't look like it is possible in vBulletin 4 (there is a hack for earlier versions). I'm looking into it. I saved the totals and will add them back in later.

panther76
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
That's pretty good! Down hill both ways?

lol. no, its not real hilly around here. i just shift around 2500 rpm's and drive the car. if i didnt spend 1/3 of my time in town, it would be closer to 45 im sure.

Chris
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm hanging pretty consistently around 32 the last three tanks. In town, auto, sport mode on, and AC running which seems to be good for about a 2-3mpg deficit.

hoicho
07-08-2011, 01:37 AM
My Auto also running avg between 32-33 mix with city and highway. It usually running around 36-37 on the highway, then city bought the avg down to 32-33. Last time I got up to 40 on the highway.

ericts
07-12-2011, 11:21 AM
1073 miles on 500 sport--getting 36mpg, mostly highway with some city driving, the commute is approx 70 round trip.

cmj912
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
665 miles, average 32.3...
Almost all city/traffic/suburban stop/go. Drive style is oriented to the traffic but mostly pretty heavy.
Oh, the car is a Pop automatic. AC on or windows/sunroof open.

scottym
07-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi all
I am new here. I am a about to purchase my 500 sport, and one of the big decisions is the transmission. I want the highest MPG as possible so I am looking for suggestions on whether to get the Automatic or manual transmission. I live in the mtn's of Colorado, and snowy roads will come into play in a few months. Most of my driving will be a combination of city and highway.

Not everyone on this thread have said what what transmission they have, that is why I am asking

Any recommendations? thanks in advance for the help

Scott

panther76
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi all
I am new here. I am a about to purchase my 500 sport, and one of the big decisions is the transmission. I want the highest MPG as possible so I am looking for suggestions on whether to get the Automatic or manual transmission. I live in the mtn's of Colorado, and snowy roads will come into play in a few months. Most of my driving will be a combination of city and highway.

Not everyone on this thread have said what what transmission they have, that is why I am asking

Any recommendations? thanks in advance for the help

Scott

i can tell you this:

i drive the manual transmission.

my mpg average on what i would describe as 80% highway/light suburban travel is now 42.9 mpg's (this is the actual calculation of miles divided by gallons used).

this is for the entire 1500 miles of the cars life. i do not hypermile. i simply drive in a reasonable manner.

i think if you want to maximize mpg's, the manual is the only way to go.

scottym
07-16-2011, 12:31 PM
i can tell you this:

i drive the manual transmission.

my mpg average on what i would describe as 80% highway/light suburban travel is now 42.9 mpg's (this is the actual calculation of miles divided by gallons used).

this is for the entire 1500 miles of the cars life. i do not hypermile. i simply drive in a reasonable manner.

i think if you want to maximize mpg's, the manual is the only way to go.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply panther76! much appreciated!

PFVA63
07-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Just to add to what Panther76 has said, I also drive a manual and for the gas tanks when I've driven more city/suburban than highway I've gotten anywhere from 34 to 37.5 mpg and for the tanks where I've driven more highway than city/suburban I've gotten over 42mpg.

One thing that I've found is that if I'm not careful starting off from a stop the instantaneous efficiency (as shown on the Electronic Vehicle Information Computer display) can drop very low (7-9 mpg or so while in 1st, and only a little higher in 2nd gear). When I try to be a little more careful, shifting at or near the speeds listed in some of the manuals I've seen on the internet for this car (12-14mph for going from 1st to 2nd, and 18-23mph for going from 2nd to 3rd) the efficiency seems much better.

As such it has really driven home to me the negative impacts of "rabbit starts" on total efficiency.

Regards

Pat

scottym
07-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Just to add to what Panther76 has said, I also drive a manual and for the gas tanks when I've driven more city/suburban than highway I've gotten anywhere from 34 to 37.5 mpg and for the tanks where I've driven more highway than city/suburban I've gotten over 42mpg.

One thing that I've found is that if I'm not careful starting off from a stop the instantaneous efficiency (as shown on the Electronic Vehicle Information Computer display) can drop very low (7-9 mpg or so while in 1st, and only a little higher in 2nd gear). When I try to be a little more careful, shifting at or near the speeds listed in some of the manuals I've seen on the internet for this car (12-14mph for going from 1st to 2nd, and 18-23mph for going from 2nd to 3rd) the efficiency seems much better.

As such it has really driven home to me the negative impacts of "rabbit starts" on total efficiency.

Regards

Pat

Thanks Pat. I am doing my buying research right now, so when you say the Electronic Vehicle Information Computer display, is that something all the vehicles come with or is it an option?

s

F500
07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
maybe this was already mentioned somewhere in the 16 pages of this thread, but how about having separate 'mileage' threads for manuals and automatics, as well as separate polls? hard to compare your car to another members if yours is the 6sp Aisin and theirs is the 5sp manual. just something to think about......

panther76
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks Pat. I am doing my buying research right now, so when you say the Electronic Vehicle Information Computer display, is that something all the vehicles come with or is it an option?

s

yes. standard part of all models.

PFVA63
07-16-2011, 10:58 PM

s

Hi,

Yes, as Panther76 notes, the EVIC is standard equipment on the 500. In addition, almost all new 500's also now have the ability to use a program called eco: Drive that will give you guidance to help improve efficiency based on your driving habits. Unfortunately, my 500 Pop was an early one off the line, and it didn't come with the USB port (which is now standard equipment) that you need to run the eco: Drive stuff, so I just rely on the EVIC stuff instead.

Regards

Pat

FiatGusto
07-17-2011, 11:57 AM
maybe this was already mentioned somewhere in the 16 pages of this thread, but how about having separate 'mileage' threads for manuals and automatics, as well as separate polls? hard to compare your car to another members if yours is the 6sp Aisin and theirs is the 5sp manual. just something to think about......

I would love to see some real numbers for automatics. I have 1500 miles on my Sport and come not even close to the averages you are showing. Town driving is about 23-25, freeway 31 tops.
I am not a lead foot and never use sport mode.
I don`t want to talk with my dealer (285 miles away) without knowing what others are getting. Anyone else having similar numbers as I am?
Thanks
Dennis

Doodles
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Regards

Pat

I start off in 2nd gear to about 25(don't use first,you won't get anywhere)and then go directly to 4th or 5th depending on traffic .
This seems to work well and you don't waste time in lower gears.
Engine only really revs once,(in 2nd) instead of in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
This seems to be the most efficient way of driving.

PFVA63
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I start off in 2nd gear to about 25(don't use first,you won't get anywhere)and then go directly to 4th or 5th depending on traffic .
This seems to work well and you don't waste time in lower gears.
Engine only really revs once,(in 2nd) instead of in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
This seems to be the most efficient way of driving.

Out of curiosity what does your instantaneous MPG read as your doing this?

Regards

Pat

SpidArman
07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi, I wouldn't believe this if I weren't doing it myself. I am getting 48MPG in my Prima #419. I am on my second tank at this mpg. I have raised my ECO index to 70. Now for the bad news. I am driving at an indicated 63mph (60mph actual) on the highway. Almost all of it is highway driving. I am driving with AC and sport mode "off". Sunroof cracked open and windows cracked open about two inches each. Going down long inclines, I keep the car in neutral or clutch pressed in. I am also using 93 Octane Sunoco fuel with 10% eithanol blend. I know it is not good for the car, but I am just doing this as a test. I plan on driving to FreakOut at this pace (all 800 miles each way), so people can check out the trip computer when I get there. To put things into perspective, at 70mph, with AC on, no sport mode, I can get just south of 40mpg average. That puts my ECO index at around 63. I had been averaging that for around 2000 miles before trying out some tricks from Shaun Folkerts.

PFVA63
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd suspect that you don't really need to coast down long inclines, as my instantaneous efficiency often goes off the charts (> 99.9) even when giving the car a little gas on the back side of gentle rolling hills. And even at 65-70 mph or so (depending on local speed limits), efficiency isn't too bad as long as I don't keep changing lanes and/or try to do alot of passing.

Regards

Pat :D

F500
07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I would love to see some real numbers for automatics. I have 1500 miles on my Sport and come not even close to the averages you are showing. Town driving is about 23-25, freeway 31 tops.
I am not a lead foot and never use sport mode.
I don`t want to talk with my dealer (285 miles away) without knowing what others are getting. Anyone else having similar numbers as I am?
Thanks
Dennis

thank you....now if we could only get one of the moderators or the administrator to read this?:rolleyes:

Doodles
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Out of curiosity what does your instantaneous MPG read as your doing this?

Regards

Pat

Good question; I'll look and report in near future.

Alfieg23
07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
FiatGusto, I'm with you. I have a Lounge automatic and drive half and half city/highway. I just filled my 2nd tank and calculated my combined MPG at 27 MPG. This is with the A/C on (usually full blast - South Florida with 95 degrees) but no "Sport" mode. I am not a speed demon, although I have been punching the gas when I'm at cruising speeds to follow the break-in recommendations. I'm hoping that future MPG's will increase as the car finishes breaking in.

FiatGusto
07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
FiatGusto, I'm with you. I have a Lounge automatic and drive half and half city/highway. I just filled my 2nd tank and calculated my combined MPG at 27 MPG. This is with the A/C on (usually full blast - South Florida with 95 degrees) but no "Sport" mode. I am not a speed demon, although I have been punching the gas when I'm at cruising speeds to follow the break-in recommendations. I'm hoping that future MPG's will increase as the car finishes breaking in.
Thank gooness! I thought something was wrong with my car. Talked to my dealer sale

FiatGusto
07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Try again.
My dealer rep had me do the following.
Go on to a freeway and flatten the accelerator for a few seconds. I almost redlined until it shifted. Did this twice, then filled tank with regular instead of premium.
He feels that with high gas prices premium sits around for a while . I wii see if mine improves and post it.
Thanks for assisting me with my problem.
FiatGusto

Giallo Edizione
07-23-2011, 12:51 PM
So i just finished up a tank having driven only locally, no more than 10 miles per trip to and from work with about 8-10 stops along each way, and local errands and such. I babied it as much as I could, driving in highest reasonable gear ( 5 speed) without lugging it, feather touch to gas, etc. Rarely broke 45 mph or 2,500 RPM except a couple of short runs on the highway. The topography here west of Boston is light rolling hills. I had no passengers. I managed 38.3 mpg as measured by the trip computer over the course of the tank. I am pleased wiith the outcome, better than EPA and better than I expected, expecially given the topography, a/c on, stop and go. I can't drive like this always but it give me a high end benchmark against which I can fairy measure what my normal driving style consumption is, instead of EPA or others or magazine articles. My highway benchmark is 41 MPG which was the outcome of a 700 mile trip to and from Bar harbor Maine at 70-75MPH speeds up and 55-60 MPH speeds most of the way back. And I'll cross out my Monroney sticker write 38/41 in its place.

Alfieg23
07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks, FiatGusto. I'll be very interested in hearing how your experiment goes. I can't believe there is such a huge difference in MPG's between manual and automatics. According to the EPA figures, there should only be a 2-3 MPG difference.

panther76
07-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks, FiatGusto. I'll be very interested in hearing how your experiment goes. I can't believe there is such a huge difference in MPG's between manual and automatics. According to the EPA figures, there should only be a 2-3 MPG difference.

epa for the auto is 34. for the manual its 38. i got to the point that unless i drive my manual hard and/or in sport mode, there is no way i will get under 41 mpg for my whole tank of mostly light suburban/highway type driving.

mwtucker
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Just bought a Pop automatic and drove about 800 highway miles. My first tank (relatively flat roads) yielded about 42 mpg (according to the trip computer--I did not verify with calculations). My second tank (through the Applachians) yielded about 40 mpg.

F500
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM

don't know if you've tried it, but you might try using the 'instant mpg' display when driving. I find that when I have that displayed, I'm more aware of when I'm using my 'foot' and can increase my mileage.

MY problem is that my wife likes to talk to me on my trip home from work, so when the B&M is 'on', the 'instant mpg' won't display, only my wifes name, so I'm not watching my mileage. on the way TO work my mileage increases and on the way home, it decreases. now if I can just keep her off the phone on my way home.......:rolleyes:

BTW......my "average" mpgs have been running 34.8 to 36.2 with my 6sp Auto Sport, no 'sport mode' driving and with the A/C blasting (been in the mid-upper 90's here too). also I just turned 560 miles (I've only had it 10 days) so I'm hoping the break-in period is OVER! ;)

cmj912
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
BTW......my "average" mpgs have been running 34.8 to 36.2 with my 6sp Auto Sport, no 'sport mode' driving and with the A/C blasting (been in the mid-upper 90's here too). also I just turned 560 miles (I've only had it 10 days) so I'm hoping the break-in period is OVER! ;)

I am at 1,160 miles, mostly city/urban driving multiple stoplights and crazy people slamming on their brakes, A/C on, no sport mode. Around here, you cannot drive "lightly" unless it is the middle of the night and the road is empty. People are very impatient and road rage is king - and people LOVE to bully smaller cars it seems.

With all of that in mind, keeping a light foot can only be done at times. It's point and squirt or get out of the way.

That said, I'm doing 31.2 average and I think that's pretty good given the amount of times I've had to leadfoot it.

FiatGusto
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I am at 1,160 miles, mostly city/urban driving multiple stoplights and crazy people slamming on their brakes, A/C on, no sport mode. Around here, you cannot drive "lightly" unless it is the middle of the night and the road is empty. People are very impatient and road rage is king - and people LOVE to bully smaller cars it seems.

With all of that in mind, keeping a light foot can only be done at times. It's point and squirt or get out of the way.

That said, I'm doing 31.2 average and I think that's pretty good given the amount of times I've had to leadfoot it.

Just curious, auto or 5 speed?
Thanks

cmj912
08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Just curious, auto or 5 speed?
Thanks
Sorry, didn't see this right away-
I have an automatic.

FiatGusto
08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Sorry, didn't see this right away-
I have an automatic.

Great! Me too. Post some mileage please.
Thanks

F500
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
with 921 miles on my Sport automatic, I've been 'averaging' 32.8 to 36.4. I drive with the 'instant economy mpg' display constantly ON so I can see when, where and why I'm using too much gas.

btw....I don't drive it easy either. my city/highway ratio is about 40/60 and has increased as I put more miles on it. :D

LyraJayne
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
with 921 miles on my Sport automatic, I've been 'averaging' 32.8 to 36.4. I drive with the 'instant economy mpg' display constantly ON so I can see when, where and why I'm using too much gas.

btw....I don't drive it easy either. my city/highway ratio is about 40/60 and has increased as I put more miles on it. :D

Whoop! That gives me some serious hope for when I get mine - just thinking of the jump in fuel economy from the Subaru wagon makes little ka-ching dollar signs go off.

Chris
08-08-2011, 07:21 PM
This past week I've kept it out of sport mode, no AC, and eyes on the instant mileage readout... all good for upping the MPG to about 37 (auto). Let's say I am driving in a more "graceful" manner. ;)

Manage_ala_Mezzaria
08-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I ditched my civic for this car...and my civic was always good for 39 mpg. Anyway, my 500 will easily get 40 mpg....mine does...but i never exceed 95 kmh and the trick is keeping your rpms around 2100 ....this formula keeps my 500 very efficient. Remember rpms will drain fuel no matter what your engine size is.

2100 rpms is not hard to do in auto mode and not running air and not gunning the pedal down. The problem is this little car is capable of very aggressive driving...so its easy to push it.

mtnroadbiker
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I've been getting lifetime avg of 40.5 -- just took my 1st road trip to OBX in the 'tomato' (pe #483) and after fill-up and burning 1/2 tank, my average for tank is 46.1. Cool!

cmj912
08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Latest tank is 30.7, all city, blasting the air, and driving like I stole it. It was 32 but I decided I wanted to see how it sounded at 80.
No, I'm not willfully trying to do this (well, I suppose the air conditioning IS a choice) but as for the driving around here it is punch-it-Margaret or ::crushes Pepsi can against head::.
Sport button is very handy for slot-car handling in the pothole avoidance maneuver.

FiatGusto
08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Automatic much improved mpg. Reset trip A to -0-, and drove strictly freeway for about 40 miles. Got 38.6! Best I have ever got. Very pleased. Previous has been 27-28 but only city driving. I think my car is ok after all.
Thanks to all of you for suggestions and for posting numbers for me to use as a basis.
FiatGusto

Giallo Edizione
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
So i just finished up a tank having driven only locally, no more than 10 miles per trip to and from work with about 8-10 stops along each way, and local errands and such. I babied it as much as I could, driving in highest reasonable gear ( 5 speed) without lugging it, feather touch to gas, etc. Rarely broke 45 mph or 2,500 RPM except a couple of short runs on the highway. The topography here west of Boston is light rolling hills. I had no passengers. I managed 38.3 mpg as measured by the trip computer over the course of the tank. I am pleased wiith the outcome, better than EPA and better than I expected, expecially given the topography, a/c on, stop and go. I can't drive like this always but it give me a high end benchmark against which I can fairy measure what my normal driving style consumption is, instead of EPA or others or magazine articles. My highway benchmark is 41 MPG which was the outcome of a 700 mile trip to and from Bar harbor Maine at 70-75MPH speeds up and 55-60 MPH speeds most of the way back. And I'll cross out my Monroney sticker write 38/41 in its place.

So now here is something interesting. I just went through a full tank after installing the lowering springs on my car. I didn't pay any attention to how I was driving, though was more aggressive than usual to test the springs, drove in simalar routes to the above but had a higher highway mix than my run above ( maybe 30%), yet the mileage for the tank was 38.9 mpg! Could the lower profile and less turbulence beneath the car actually improve the mileage in such a noticeable way? I expected to be at 35-36 mpg at best. Must be a fluke.

Kevin Z
08-20-2011, 04:39 PM
First tank: 31.1 mpg - that's with an automatic transmission. Drove a bit conservatively and had a high percentage of highway driving, but too much heavy rush hour traffic and A/C usage with high temperatures (>100 degrees) have conspired to keep the results lower than I would like to see.

LyraJayne
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Finished my first tank over the weekend; automatic with sprint booster, about 60% highway/45mph+ roads and 40% stoplights and seeing how fast I could hit the 90-degree turn in front of my office (40mph so far). My highway speed tends to be about 80mph but that's salvaged by the 50mph backroads home from work.

Total combined: 34.2. Highway average was hanging at 35-37.

vphb
10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
ok, so I've had my Fiat 500 Sport for a bout a 2 weeks...it has about 480 miles on it and been mainly city driving, altho last weekend i took it out from Hollywood to Camarillo , just to get it on the freeway for a bit of time.... it came up from the desert so it got some miles put on it before it even got to me...and I was glad for that too because I'm in a lot of stop and go traffic on most days ...and not on the freeways too much to help get past that break in period (which is what?) ... I'm seeing 19 mpg and that's kinda got freaking me out.... except I know it's early yet. The dealer told me to use regular gas but from reading the forums I'm thinking of switching to a higher grade and see what that brings. Has anyone else had such low mileage at the start...I don't have a lead foot...Had a mini cooper, turbo and was over the shifting in traffic so I bought the sport in automatic...Love the car and the sport button, handles more like my mini did.... but really haven't used it much except a few times going from Hollywood through the hills to the valley ....Any feedback or thoughts? I'd love to hear some thoughts or set me straight on what I'm doing wrong? :-) Thanks!

FiatGusto
10-30-2011, 12:50 PM
I too have a Sport with auto. Now 6 months old. My mileage has never been what some post on this list. I get about 21-
24in town. getting better with age. Plus I just put in my first tank of non-ethanol gas. Will hope mileage improves as it is
$4.50 per gallon out here in Southern Oregon.
All said, the autos just don`t achieve what for me I had anticipated.
BUT, I love this little car and would not get rid of it for any reason I can think of.
Good Luck with your`s.

luckymoi
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Fg: the mileage on the auto will improve! More miles (>1k as I recall) will lossen things up I guess.
The EVIC with instant economy will show you. Stopping sucks... gotta though from time to time.
Bumper to bumper traffic jams for miles and miles ruins things... your temper, you gas mileage.
On the freeway home after getting the from the dealer ...17.8 MPG... yep I almost turned around to give the car back.
At 3080 miles and 3 months 30-33 MPG poking around in the burbs. Lots of stop lights.
The mileage is better coming back from school drop off surface streets than going to school on freeway by about 2 MPG.
best I've managed is a 90% freeway trip of 70 miles each way.. 38.x
I also notice headwinds mess with the mileage.
Of course I knew all this years ago but seeing on the EVIC is different.
EVIC and EcoDrive show me the car can do realty good mileage but conditions must be just right.
May I tell how glad I am I did not pick car which claimed 42 MPG but had no personality.. imagine getting less than claimed (usually the case) and being stuck in a bland car!
Go cinquecento!

vphb
10-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Thank you FiatGusto and Luckymi.......Just downloaded the EVIC software and will plug it in today, got my car through my credit union so I didnt have any real instruction when I got it just been hitting the boards and manuals today..I'll take it on a few trips later this month and try and break the 1k mark and even if it's 24 mpg in the city ill be happy, at least it'll be better than my old mini in the city, lucky to break 21mpg, but was also a turbo!!.... Love this car and just hope i can start to see some better milage after a couple thousand miles...thanks for the info...what grade gas are you guys ptting in...still curious on that one since there's conflicting reports on the boards?

SeaDawg
10-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Love this car and just hope i can start to see some better milage after a couple thousand miles...thanks for the info...what grade gas are you guys ptting in...still curious on that one since there's conflicting reports on the boards?

A TURBO Mini, eh? One suggestion, tongue in cheek of course, is to keep your foot OUT of the intake manifold!

On a serious side, I have just switched to 87 octane Regular gas (and all automotive gas here in Florida has 10% ethanol) from 93 octane Premium gas...that 30 cents per gallon was starting to add up over the months. I haven't noticed much if any difference at all. I drive mostly in town and the first 1/2 tank of regular got me 36.6 mpg with the manual transmission. I just put another 1/2 tank of regular in so we'll see what that brings. Also here in Florida I do think the gasoline companies have just switched from their summer blend to their winter blend gas. I say that because I was getting noticably LESS gas mileage with the premium (31 to 33 mpg) prior to switching to regular on around October 9th.

vphb
11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Just put in the sprint booster yesterday and it's fantastic, (automatic trans as well) amazed at the difference in responsiveness...feel like the care can really get out of its own way on the freeway without engaging the sport button, and when i do...it's even more fun!I'm only at 520 mi. so I'll have to wait a bit to judge the fuel economy...right now...in the city ..on my display it says avg 19mpg, but in the overall trip display it says avg 24.9..

59Imperial
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I purchased my Fiat 500c with a 5 speed manual about 5 weeks ago. I have about 5,000 miles on it. My normal daily commute is 108 miles minimum and if I drive the car
conservatively I can average 45 miles per gallon. That is checking it two ways. I use the computer in the car but have checked three tanks the old school way but writing down the actual mileage and using the gallons pumped at the station. They both check within tenths of 45 mpg. The last tank I got 47 mpg.
I can drive it a bit harder and have the top down, use the AC and get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and drop the mileage to about 41 mpg. I think the 5 speed helps

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-09-2011, 11:32 PM
That's right 59Imperial - mid forties half way through second fill-up. My EVIC reads 43.3 average over 700 miles (trip B) and Trip A says 46.3. Average of two figures = 44.8 mpg. HTWT

Freedomland
11-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I've had CNQECNTO since aug 1. majority averages based on the EVIC has been 34.. but we tried a little test yesterdy. Got on the Wantagh at Merrick Rd (this is long island) and cleared A memory and went down to Ocean Parkway heading out to Bay Shore.. Speed was in the 50's and we got up to 46mpg!! This is an Auto Pop and I am impressed as hell. The range jumped up too.. Then after being home and heading out to the store.. local the ranged dropped from 158 to 114 within a few minutes due to local driving.. I really need to plug in the Ecoupdate and use that but we tend to use the usb socket for our phones to charge them and play music.
All in all I am VERY impressed with the car it's about as much fun as my Mini was when we first got it and the mpg's are better..but i did take it easy on Ocean Parkway.Usually I'm zipping at 70.

Mkfiat
11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I have owned my manual 5 spd. 500 Sport for 3 months. I average 37 to 38 mpg driving around town & my 10 mile daily freeway commute. Yesterday, using milage techniques, I drove up to Orange County on 78 & I-5. From Escondido to Mission Viejo, I was able to average 49 mpg! I drove about 15 miles on surface streets, and returned to Escondido for a final reading of 47.3 mpg for my 123 mile trip
MK

vphb
11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
how bout an average of 19 mpg in the city? hmmn....I live and work in Los Angeles, I just broke 1000 miles on my Fiat sport (automatic) ...my mileage is pretty bad at this stage and I'm not lead footing it, if i put my foot on the gas pedal any lighter the car won't make it to the next gear. Been really watching my driving habits these last few weeks and I'm lucky to break 19 mpg as an average in the city. good news ia that when I took 2 longer trips to the desert I got 36 mpg so that was nice to see ...but about that city mileage??.
using mid grade fuel..Love the car , just dont know where the city mpg rating comes from with the mileage I'm getting for my normal daily driving....and really hoping that with age...it will improve???? any others having this experience?

FiatGusto
11-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi: I get only 23-24 in my town too. But 36-38 hiway with my automatic. I was surprised that my town average
speed is only 15 miles per hour. Check yours and if it is like mine, perhaps these sweet cars just don't like to go
slow and punish our wallet for doing so.
Good luck.

vphb
11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I have a feeling I 'm in the same boat as you FiatGusto...actually, I'll be happy if i can get 23-24 mpg eventually.. at this rate a big SUV's is getting better mileage than I am:-) Like i said I do enjoy the car ... I just wish somebody would come up with "real world" city mileage when they create these ratings cause quite honestly....it might have made a difference in my purchase of the car...I think the best way for me to at least recoup a little is to start using regular gas as opposed to the mid or premium since I'm filling the tank so much...I think I got around 150 mi to this last tank of gas!!

FiatGusto
11-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow,bad bad. Tuesday I am going in for my first service and of primary concern fo me is that they check everything
that can affect mileage and be certain all is correct. I will let you know what if anything the tech tells me. The rep and his tech believe my mpg should be better.

vphb
11-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Thank you.... let me know cause I'm feeling like I want to bring it in and have someone check it out ...so I'm curious what they say to you ...and you're getting at least 5mg better than I am...just curious what your mileage is, and if over a few thousand , did it improve with age as I've read on some of these threads?

F500
11-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been averaging 34-36 combined since I got my 500 Sport Auto. but with winter now upon us, my mileage has dropped to 32-33, more than likely due to the winter fuel mix at the gas pump. all the additives added for winter won't burn like gas does, kills the mileage. :(

Randy Robert Mosele
11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
My overall average is still 38 and some change. The last few days I've been driving it like a sports car rather than trying to max out my mileage and I'm still getting 34 in town. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

FiatGusto
11-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you.... let me know cause I'm feeling like I want to bring it in and have someone check it out ...so I'm curious what they say to you ...and you're getting at least 5mg better than I am...just curious what your mileage is, and if over a few thousand , did it improve with age as I've read on some of these threads?
Hi: Just got home from first service and conversation with Fiat tech about mileage concerns.
Car has 3000 miles and I am averaging, as I mentioned 23-24 in town. On trip north Monday to Studio, we got 35.3.
Certainly not as good as some, but I was happier. Tech did thorough check, updated computer programs and hoped my town mileage improved. But no promises.
So, I think my main problem may be that we drive so much start/stop/start that my mileage may not improve.
Sorry I do not have better news for you.
Still LOVE this car. Two days, 600 miles 34+ mpg.

vphb
12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Finally got a chance to check in...i called the dealer the other day and told him what I'm getting,a few things came to light. One was that since I'm still breaking in the car he said i'm babying it too much...since I do so much city driving he told me to get the revs up, basically waste a tank of gas to get the car opened up...he said it's pretty tight at the start. It feels like its driving better since i started this assignment...going to try and take it out on the road this weekend for an hour or so on the freeways...at least try and kick it up...but I'm liking the car more these days, feels better driving...hopefully doing this for this tank will help open it up and as he said mileage should improve but I think we are stuck with the lower city numbers than most.But if I can get 23-24 in the city I'll be happy, my turbo cooper with a stick was getting 19-20 so any improvement over that will be a nice thing...and highway, I expect i'll get close to the regular predicted numbers...but yes...I think it's stop and go that's killing us both:-) Thanks for the info and i'll keep you posted on my progress!

portofino
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
over a 1,000 trip, mostly interstate, traveling at 75 to 85mph, consistently achieved 30mpg.
Maybe this little car is better for 'around-town' travel.
Still a GREAT little car, those 9.5 gal fillups are fun.

jchasp59
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM

That's about what I'm getting with easy driving and shifting around 2200 rpm. Average, calculated, 33.4mpg with mostly hwy miles, since my dealer is 110 miles away. My friends have always joked that I drive like a grandpa. I recently had to take my 5 speed Pop in for service. Have had an automatic 500 Pop as a loaner for the past 4 days. Although it seeks out the highest gear and is obviously programed for economy, it's getting much better mileage than my manual, even on the hwy (computer says trip avg is 36 with avg speed of 38 mph over 160 miles). But, I prefer the manual, as this 6 speed autobox is constantly downshifting and hunting whenever it encounters the slightest grade. And, on the hwy, when I go to pass, the 6 to what must be 3rd gear downshifts (judging by the tach) are abrupt and rough. A lot of drama for not much go.
Kind of surprised that it's not beating my last car, a 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan with 4 spd auto. It would easily average 36 mpg. Worst it ever got was 34mpg. Best was 46mpg pure hwy driving (repeated on 4 separate occasions). It was rated at 29 city/34 hwy...

Doodles
01-05-2012, 11:11 PM
M
I have a feeling I 'm in the same boat as you FiatGusto...actually, I'll be happy if i can get 23-24 mpg eventually.. at this rate a big SUV's is getting better mileage than I am:-) Like i said I do enjoy the car ... I just wish somebody would come up with "real world" city mileage when they create these ratings cause quite honestly....it might have made a difference in my purchase of the car...I think the best way for me to at least recoup a little is to start using regular gas as opposed to the mid or premium since I'm filling the tank so much...I think I got around 150 mi to this last tank of gas!!

I get 150 miles from half a tank , that's a bout 30 mpg ,real numbers, not from evic witch I don't trust as having any accuracy.

vdawg
01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Drove to Florida....about 600 miles....Highway 75 pretty much all the way.....a couple of traffic jams. The cruise control was set on 70 mph. I got 42 mpg. The computer said I got 44 mpg. I forgive the computer.

PFVA63
01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I may have posted something along these lines on another board, but I keep my EVIC on the Instantaneous MPG" readout and it really seem to show that I burn alot of gas in he lower gears starting up from a stop. As such, I can easily see how if someone gets stuck in bumper to bumper traffic it might really impact your MPG. However, when driving in "Urban/Suburban" traffic, where things open up a little more my mileage tends to get a fair bit better.

Regards

Pat

NLaz
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I've had my 500 3 weeks now. LOVE IT! I calculated 31 mpg today, mostly in town driving.

JohnInIndy
01-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I commute 13 miles each way. Half on surface streets and half on interstate. Most of my other driving is surface streets. The interstate parts are not really steady throttle as it's urban interstate during rush hour. I'm getting a bit over 34mpg after 2400 miles. I'm pretty happy with that. It's a bit better than the Yaris I traded in.

FiatPhil
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm retired, so I never do anything but urban driving as I live in a downtown situation. I still get 30 mpg in stop and go traffic, with short bursts on the freeway of no more than four miles. I'm happy with the gas mpg. My last car was a Dale Earnhard Monte Carlo 22, it got about 15 mpg under the same conditions. Sometimes I have to be reminded to go get gas, I gas up so much less often.

Kaboc
01-17-2012, 03:22 AM
I just got my 500 on Thursday of last week, and just filled up the tank for the first time. I got 32.8 mpg in approximately 70/30 city highway driving. I'm hoping that now that I've got Eco Drive going and 91 octane in my tank that my numbers will improve.

jt11
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I am getting 32 mpg in mostly city driving with the Pop and automatic transmission.

tensleep
02-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I will copy my posts from another thread:

I have a 75 mile daily round trip commute across the Dallas metroplex. It is a 50/50 mix of city interstate and city surface street driving. I have intentionally tried different routes to see how it affects time/fuel economy in my 500 manual pop. I am a bit over 4500 miles at the moment, and EVIC has reported 40+ mpg for the last three tanks of gas. I try to shift @ 2k rpm when possible, without lugging the motor down too hard. I drive 60-65 on the interstate, except when I need to run in the left lane to get around traffic. I go with the flow, usually 70-75, then once I am clear, I tuck back into the slower lane and drop my speed. I also put the car in neutral and coast to stoplights/signs as much as possible, using engine breaking to help extend the life of the brake liners. I am running 87 octane Raceway or Cosco fuel. After this tank, I will probably go the next 3 tanks with a "better" brand of fuel, higher octane, to see if I see an improvement.

I will also verify how accurate the EVIC is.

Hit 5k miles today, 500 Pop.

Filled up with 87 octane, 9.277 gallons.
Drove 358 miles on last tank, 93 octane.

EVIC reported 40.2 mpg
358 mi/9.277 gal = 38.59 mph calculated
[(40.2 mpg - 38.59 mpg)/38.59 mpg] x 100 = 4.2% error for EVIC reporting.

We will see how the octane changes things, Costco gas.

Roadpizza
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I just finished a ride into Portland and back. The return trip was up over the Historic Columbia River Highway so the sunroof came in handy. My wife saw a bald eagle fly overhead while I was driving. My Nero pop got a average of 45.6mpg when I pulled into the driveway. That is in keeping with the 07 Prius we have for this time of year, so I'm happy with the results. I have a little over 1000 miles on the 500 at this point. The ride was fun.....

I had gone into to fill up at COSTCO by the way.

The FIAT, along with the Prius and the BMW F800S I ride all have instant mileage settings that I keep track off to make sure I'm in the most fuel efficient gear to get the most out of what I just put in the tank.

F500
03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
last fillup was 34.8 mpgs. my Evic and my pump calculations were only .2 difference, and that may have been because I let the pump cut off 2 times after the initial stop. if I had let it alone, probably would have been dead-on.

my driving was about 60/40 highway/city. seems to be doing better the more miles I put on the car (just under 12K). btw, I have the 6sp Auto. :D

tensleep
03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
I filled up last weekend with Shell V-Max.

EVIC said 44.2 mpg, I calculated 41.8, on Costco 87, nearly 5.4k miles on the car. I forget the exact mileage and gallons (written down at home), but they were around 390 miles on 9.3 gallons.

I am very happy with this fuel economy. I will continue to monitor the mileage, but this is what I needed for the car to pay for itself. I was driving a '99 Lincoln Continental that would get 23 mpg. With gas prices the way they are now, I am certainly making the car payment and insurance with fuel savings. Who knows? I may even save money by the end of the year.

tensleep
03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
So the high octane vmax shell gas got me 40.1 mpg, calculated, 41.2 on the EVIC.

I didn't short shift as much, so that probably accounts for the slight drop in mileage, not the type of fuel. By the way, I have been running the last 2 tanks out of Sport mode and I must say, I am becoming very comfortable with the car not in Sport for my regular commute.

This time, I filled up with Shell regular, 87 octane.

vphb
03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Still trying to get some mileage on the car... So far at 2300 miles and it's an automatic , sport.....I put in a power booster and I like it .... but so far I'm getting about 19-20mpg in city stop and go which is most of my driving (with or w/o booster in) . When I was buying the car I "specifically" asked the dealers for "real world in city" driving specs...told them I live and work in the city, more street driving than freeway....expressed that I wanted better than my minicooper (manual trans turbo) ....they said the Fiat would easily do 24-26 or better...well...NOT! On the freeway I'm getting the spec of 35-36 mpg...that makes me happy, but literally averaging 19-20 in the city kinda pisses me off as my mini did the same..and this isn't even a turbo...so even tho it's fun driving the car...I'm disappointed in the day to day mileage! I don't use the sport button except a few times when driving in the hills ( living in L.A) using mid grade gas..tried em all:-) I hear things will improve after 3k miles....hope spring eternal!!!

FiatGusto
03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi: I have the same problem as you, as well as others on this forum who have the auto transmission..
Now, not to be a spoiler, but after 4000 miles, I get 21-23 in town. Never any better.
Like you, highway mileage is 35+.
I think we all just have to accept the reality.
I would hope someone else on this forum could disprove my experience as to mileage and the Fiat Sport automatic.

Nutmeg500fan
03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Hello Forum -

I have a manual sport which is approaching 1 year old - 19K on it and my driving is 70/30 hghwy/city - but my highway is not really highway speed - Merritt Pkwy in Fairfield Cty CT - notorious for slow traffic - my average speed on each tank is only 26 - 27 mph, so almost city speeds. Net/net, I've been averaging 34-35 mpg until very recently - noticed the post about driving style and am currently on my second tank of more conservative acceleration, decel, sort of "hyper-miling" style and am avg 41-42 mpg... very interesting result, given that I do get up to 70 mph in many stretches. I did try Eco-Drive for a bit and they advised me to not rev up to 3500 - 4000 rpm, which I am used to doing... so I guess if you "baby" it, the Italian technology will return mileage for you if you alter your driving style. We shall see how long i keep this up :)

Nutmeg500Nut on the Gold Coast

Roadpizza
03-08-2012, 09:45 PM
The FIAT automatic is the same as in the MINI... no surprise as to the mileage.

F500
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
with my 500 Sport 6sp Auto, the last couple tanks I've been getting well over 34mpgs 'average' with about 60/40 highway/city driving. here's what I've been doing:

first, drive in 'normal' mode and accelerate slowly whenever possible. in the city, when you are approaching a stop sign/light, put it in neutral and coast to a stop. at a light, leave it in neutral until the light is about to change, then put it in gear and accelerate slowly.

on the highway, once up to speed, put it in 'manual shift' in 6th gear. what this does is keep the trans from downshifting for inclines, using more gas. you can still accelerate, but it will just do so slower. when exiting the highway, again...put it in neutral and coast to a stop.

even in the city, I use the 'manual 6th gear' method. also I always have the EVIC in the 'Instant MPG' mode so that I can see when I'm accelerating too hard and causing the mpgs to drop.

this is just what I've been doing and I'm pretty happy with the results. while its impossible to do this all the time due to traffic, weather, etc, by doing these simple things can increase your mileage and decrease your trips to the pump. :)

Felnus
03-09-2012, 07:46 AM
You will improve your gas mileage even further if you leave your car in gear with your foot off the gas while coasting to a stop. Fuel injected vehicles use very little to no gas at all when you are moving and not pressing the gas pedal. If you are moving but have the car in neutral, the ECU will have to inject fuel to keep the engine running at idle.

You can test this using the "instant mpg" readout in the EVIC. Get the car up to speed and then take your foot completely off the gas and watch the numbers climb up until they go past 99 MPG. With the auto, manually downshifting it while coasting to a stop should keep the drag on the engine enough to keep it running without the ECU adding fuel. Give it a try.

tensleep
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
You will improve your gas mileage even further if you leave your car in gear with your foot off the gas while coasting to a stop. Fuel injected vehicles use very little to no gas at all when you are moving and not pressing the gas pedal. If you are moving but have the car in neutral, the ECU will have to inject fuel to keep the engine running at idle.

You can test this using the "instant mpg" readout in the EVIC. Get the car up to speed and then take your foot completely off the gas and watch the numbers climb up until they go past 99 MPG. With the auto, manually downshifting it while coasting to a stop should keep the drag on the engine enough to keep it running without the ECU adding fuel. Give it a try.

Interesting! I have been coasting and using the gears to engine brake, relieving some of the wear on the brake shoes. I didn't realize that idling the motor while coasting used more fuel than leaving the car in gear. I will experiment!

eddiebabyny
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
After the dealer feul ran out, I gassed up my Pop C with 93 on March 14th. 50/50 parkway and streets...and 120 miles interstate during which I was shocked to see I was near 100mph speed at one point...most small cars will really let you know when you cross 80... This car is amazingly smooth and quiet for its size. I regret opening up a new car like that though. I could smell the oil burning a bit when I got out...

It's hard not to wind this car up on the streets. As a consequence, I'm getting 27 miles per gallon on this first tank. I expect that to improve once she breaks in and after I learn to stop trying to drive like Lavaggi ; )

kabaam
03-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I drove 250 miles at about 65 MPH and got about 46.4 MPG. I was in a bit of a rush on the return trip and yeilded 42.

Roadpizza
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
That goes along with the with what I did last time out. So the 500 can be a fuel sipper if used properly.

I drove 250 miles at about 65 MPH and got about 46.4 MPG. I was in a bit of a rush on the return trip and yeilded 42.

tensleep
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Consistently getting 40+ mpg, 7.5k miles, 10% ethanol, Intercity Interstate and surface roads, 50/50 split, lots and lots of stop and go and shifting, running anywhere from 10 mph to 75 mph, 75 miles round trip every day. And, I have a rule about not being a traffic hazard while conserving fuel. AND, I have some fun in Sport mode in the process. It doesn't matter what octane I run, nor does the brand of gasoline count for or against my numbers. I do intend to try out a cold air intake, once I figure out how to keep at least the stock filtration level. Oh, and this is on the original oil, not Mobil 1. Also, these are calculated numbers, not EVIC numbers. The EVIC is a little optomistic by about 1-1.5 mpg.

I would really like to run a couple of tanks of ethanol-free gasoline, but since the DFW Metroplex is in an EPA non-attainment designation, we are required to burn 10% ethanol.

500ways
03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Consistently getting 40+ mpg, 7.5k miles, 10% ethanol, Intercity Interstate and surface roads, 50/50 split, lots and lots of stop and go and shifting, running anywhere from 10 mph to 75 mph, 75 miles round trip every day. And, I have a rule about not being a traffic hazard while conserving fuel. AND, I have some fun in Sport mode in the process. It doesn't matter what octane I run, nor does the brand of gasoline count for or against my numbers. I do intend to try out a cold air intake, once I figure out how to keep at least the stock filtration level. Oh, and this is on the original oil, not Mobil 1. Also, these are calculated numbers, not EVIC numbers. The EVIC is a little optomistic by about 1-1.5 mpg.

I would really like to run a couple of tanks of ethanol-free gasoline, but since the DFW Metroplex is in an EPA non-attainment designation, we are required to burn 10% ethanol.

I am achieving that mileage as well 6 months and 8400 miles into ownership. Pretty much the same combination of driving +/-. This car is like a bottle of fine wine. It improves as it ages.

I hope FIAT figures out how to work the US city/highway mileage game and put 40 mpg on that window sticker. Many manufacturers state 40 mpg and get nowhere close to it. FIAT states less, but achieves more. They need to advertise it and put another notch on their belt.

dale3242
05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
My wife and I just drove our new Fiat 500 sport automatic to Amish country, 185 miles round trip. I had topped off the fuel before we left and refueled when we got back. The car estimated we got 36.7 mpg. I calculated 37.1 mpg based on the fuel used. This was almost all on windy hilly roads.

panther76
05-13-2012, 03:29 PM
should have divided the poll into automatic or stick since the sticks enjoy a decided advantage.

Roadpizza
05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
With the Borla and the CAI installed. I am getting a solid 39 miles to the gallon in various driving conditions.

shonokin
05-14-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm getting around 33-36 on the highway, about 40 % of it on pretty serious grades.

pxpaulx
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
We are at 37.1 (linked in my fuelly signature link) at just over 2100 miles. Before we bought I calculated a rough $60 savings monthly based on 32mpg, so getting another 10% better (and rising) is great! We have the MT, and I have been running 91 octane (10% ethanol in MN here) for the last 4-5 tanks; although I don't think it has an effect on MPG, the engine runs nice and smooth so I'm going to stick with it awhile longer (will try 87 for a few tanks again sometime in the future). Based on our average driving speeds in the low to mid 30mph range, I would call our driving 50/50 city-highway. The computer trip MPG rating has typically been .7-1mpg optimistic, which is fairly accurate (and at least consistent). Our current tank (100 miles in) is reading 40.9mpg, so hopefully signs of a break-in pick-up! Either way, we are very happy, car makes a great pair with our 2012 subaru impreza (MPG not doing quite so well compared to the EPA estimates sadly, but still good for an AWD vehicle...that drives like a jackrabbit in the snow).

Paris11
06-29-2012, 07:51 PM
auto tranny, sport button OFF, best mpg-in town-real world normal driving without putting car in nuetral, trying to shift at 2ooorpm or getting out and PUSHING the Fiat...is 15-21mpg city-29-35 hwy...those are REAL numbers of my car and Im driving like a gas sipper as much as possible in LA.......I suggest manual..auto also has a huge dead pedal space(almost a whole second delay from stop) in auto which has been dangerous here in busy town....shifts smooth but sluggish takeoff too.....manual anywhere but LA or traffic jam cities is the way to go...IMO

Enygma_6
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
5100+ miles in (just did my first oil change at 6 months), I'm averaging about 27-29mpg per tank.
Automatic transmission, occasional use of Sport mode and/or feisty driving when the mood strikes and I can get away with it.
Roughly 40%/60% city/highway driving, but it's Southern California highways, so it's not so easy to maintain a good average speed (I tend to get in the 28-29mph range).
I just ordered the Mopar CAI and exhaust, so those should be getting installed in the next week or so and I'll see what kind of difference that makes.

Paris11
07-06-2012, 11:56 AM
here's the PROOF------just tanked up again-premium.......trying to post pictures as someone asked---- 14.8 city(had to leave town shortly after filling-but this IS the norm)........and 24.7 hwy(after 2 hours on freeway).......I am trying one last time to get resolution with dealer then going to Fiat North America.......horsepower also seems to be dropping..........definitely something wrong with this car

Paris11
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
274827492750pictures not uploading--Ive tried 3 times. If anyone knows how to attach pics to thread-advise please :)

Paris11
07-06-2012, 12:06 PM
there they are--1)is of fill up
2) is of city mpg after short trips
3) after 2 hours on freeway
I am sure they are in the wrong order-but hey, they are up

luckymoi
07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
What city do you live in?

panther76
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
44.8 lifetime after latest fill up. heavy AC usage brought this tank (43.7) down a few mpg's.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/panther76/500-1?fu=2840255

SeaDawg
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
here's the PROOF------just tanked up again-premium.......trying to post pictures as someone asked---- 14.8 city(had to leave town shortly after filling-but this IS the norm)........and 24.7 hwy(after 2 hours on freeway).......I am trying one last time to get resolution with dealer then going to Fiat North America.......horsepower also seems to be dropping..........definitely something wrong with this car

I notice the EVIC is showing SPORT mode. Do you keep it constantly in SPORT? That causes the automatic to hold lower gears longer which results in more fuel consumed. Other than that, I would suggest a good set of diagnostics plugged into the OBDiII port.

SeaDawg
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
44.8 lifetime after latest fill up. heavy AC usage brought this tank (43.7) down a few mpg's.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/panther76/500-1?fu=2840255

I'm certainly NOT complaining, but I have no idea how you can do much city driving or even what I call boulevard driving and get that kind of gas mileage. I get low to mid 30's using Premium 93 Octane. I have 205/40 17's and lowering springs, but got the same mileage with the stock Sport springs and 195/45 16 Pirellis'.

Paris11
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
LA

Paris11
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I tried not using Sport-nothing changed--been trying to get gas mileage issue resolved for about 1000K miles......lots of "trys" nothing changes it! sux

Paris11
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM
thanks for suggestion-its going back to FIAT soon for yet another check-I will mention diagnostics

pxpaulx
07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
LA

One thing I would be curious to note is your actual average mph (not mpg). You do have to remember that what most people view as 'city' driving does not fit at all with the definition the EPA has for city driving. The epa tests are very specific - the city component consists of a 30 minute drive over 11 miles with an average speed of 22mph, no air conditioning, a top speed of 56mph, only 23 stops and idling 18% of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if in L.A. you'd only be driving 18% of the time!

To be honest I would almost consider the epa's antequated 'city' driving compenent a leisurely sunday drive for some people.

Somewhat related, I've got the 2012 subaru impreza as well as our fiat, which increased the MPG claims by about 30% over the previous year model with a new more economic engine. If you hit up the subaru forums many, many owners are not terribly happy with the real-world MPG output. I've resigned myself to thinking of it as a great AWD car with good mpgs (lifetime average is 28.7mpg over 6200 miles), but the fiat has been doing very well for us (average over 2250 miles is 37mpg, with the MT). Both my wife and I drive both cars, and drive similarly. While we are only 1mpg under the highway number on the fiat, we are 7 under on the subaru! (rated at 27/36, we have the CVT version). Just goes to show that even with the same driver, from car to car and I'm sure even from cars off the same line, you can have a big variation of mpg performance.

I do hope the dealer can help you out, perhaps do an engine computer flash to reset it and go from there. Good luck!

Paris11
07-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks! Driving here makes stop and go an art form. Avg mpH was 14 last time I checked! But 14-17mpg's? I think the worst I ever got in my Boxster was 17! I bought this car for an interim vehicle-hit a money crunch last year. Bought it for FUN plus FUEL economy. Guess I got half of what I paid for. Will post any dealer remedy-IF there is one. (Engine computer reset was already done.) :)

pxpaulx
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I couldn't live with 14mph (and the accompanying gas mileage!), I think I'd take a bike or a scooter instead! We typically average between 31-35mph as far as an average speed, which I would place at about a 50-50 split or 40-60 city/highway. You really can't call your %'s by the roads you drive on, it is more a combination of your overall speed, whether you do a lot of cold start/short trips, or, in your case, whether you sit in your car in traffic all day! I do hope they can help you out, sometimes an onboard computer flash helps with these things.

luckymoi
07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
LA... I thought if you were within an hour's drive we could get together and trade cars for an hour and then compare but you are 350 miles away.
Maybe someone ( someone else that is) could have a look-see... someone in the LA area?
I notice that once I get to 6th gear the mileage climbs but I have never had 14 MPH as an average.... that is second gear!
The instant readout will show you the cost of stopping and starting..... 11 MPG in those low gears.!