PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air Filter For 2017 500e

jazzmusic8
10-15-2017, 11:55 AM
How do you access the cabin air filter? I see that it needs to be changed every 2 years, but that seems like a long time. I usually change the cabin air filters in my cars every 6 months to a year and they get dirty pretty easily. I would like to check the quality of the filter, but only if it is easily accessible - especially since I'm in Northern California and there has been such smokey air the last week. It's been 6 months since I began leasing my car. I have seen in YouTube videos people needed to take apart a center plastic panel for regular 500s. That seems like a lot of work. I'm hoping the 500e air filter is more accessible.

compu_85
10-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Access (and the filter) on the 500e is the same as the gas powered 500. You kind of need to smush the filter to get it into the slot on the HVAC box, it's a tight fit.

CoachRick
10-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Interesting...the L CAF is quite easy to access and replace(once you get comfy with the tension on the glovebox lid cables). This is in stark contrast to our Volvo C70 filter which is located forward of the center console, next to the accelerator pedal and requires three hands and skinny fingers to replace !!! :(

maximizese
10-17-2017, 04:36 PM
I rarely change my cabin air filter. They simply don't seem dirty even after 30K miles; I usually drop the filter on the ground to see if any dust or debris breaks loose and I just don't see any. My fan with the sunroof open 80% of the time though I run the AC during the summer months only. The part that makes me scratch my head is why would I replace a cabin air filter when I'm usually driving with sunroof and windows open.

project051
05-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a good one for a 2014?

Ricksuiter
05-30-2018, 01:42 AM
This You Tube video got me through changing mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNoe5lOvB4

It's kind of a pain in the butt compared to other cars, but not too terribly bad overall. Mine I'm guessing was never changed when I changed it and was quite dirty.

I just bought mine at the Fiat dealer, they're about $15, but you should be able to find one at any auto parts store or just order from Amazon.