PDA

View Full Version : New engine

SKobres
10-06-2017, 10:12 AM
My 500L has been in shop since April. They finally determined my engine had no compression, and are replacing the engine and intake manifold. My question is should I keep it or get rid of it? It's a 2014, and less than 34,000 miles.

Southernroadrunner
10-06-2017, 12:03 PM
My 500L has been in shop since April. They finally determined my engine had no compression, and are replacing the engine and intake manifold. My question is should I keep it or get rid of it? It's a 2014, and less than 34,000 miles.
That would be your decision. Looks like you've been without the car for quite a while. You paid for the car or are paying for the car. Good luck.

SKobres
10-06-2017, 02:07 PM
That would be your decision. Looks like you've been without the car for quite a while. You paid for the car or are paying for the car. Good luck.

I just got the car last November, so still paying on it.I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issues and if so did the have any further issues, or did this fix the issue.

Robert Nixon
10-06-2017, 09:37 PM
They should be able to tell you exactly what was wrong, and why what they are replacing will fix it.

Even machines that seem to be very complex (engines), are still designed and built by humans, so ideally the fixing/replacing of the bad parts will be totally OK, so I'd be good with a new engine, but if you're not comfortable with it, that's up to you.

Fiat500USA
10-06-2017, 11:08 PM
If they replace the engine, why not keep it? They changed out the bad part. The engine on our Audi wet bad all of a sudden and they replaced it. Took a couple of months, plus they put the wrong short block in and had to redo the entire job. Naturally being without the car was disappointing, but the plus side was we were driving another car and saved miles on our car. After months in the shop during the first year, we went on to enjoying the car for ten + years. Our choice was we could have let the inconvenience of being without the car ruin the whole experience, or chalk it up. We liked our car, so that made it easier. It's why I always recommend getting something you really like, because when an issue comes up (and they will from time to time) at least you have a car you are into. Here's to you having smooth sailing after these bumps in the road.

KellyfromVA
10-07-2017, 07:41 AM
I vote get rid of it. Of all the lineup, the L isn't very well made. That, and the fact its taken them this long to determine the engine lost compression, speaks volumes about the capacity to service the vehicle. Unless you are able to do service or major repairs yourself, or are willing to make payments on a car because it's unique, I'd find a brand who is built better and with more support.

stubtail
10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I replaced my engine at 60K miles. The new engine has been better than the original. The car now has 100K on it. If you like the car keep it or if you want to move on sell it soon.

WileyCoyote
10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
To go along with the majority of people posting, its your decision. I absolutely LOVE my L. Not sure why someone said its not "made very well", especially since they're still on a FIAT Forum (troll?). I have had 2 major issues with the car, both were fixed either by myself or via recall. Any car can have issues. There are a few things you need to think about before making a decision. Can you afford to sell it and get something else you like that works with your situation? Sorry that sounds bad but its the truth. I never recommend people rolling over car loans because that limits your choices and/or increases your monthly payment. Now of course this assumes your remaining principal is higher than your resell value, however being you go it less than a year ago I'd assume it is. But if not, then that question not applicable. Next like someone else mentioned, they've fixed the issue. So your car should be fine and repairs usually have a warranty attached so you can be worry free for a period of time.

But all in all, its your decision. Make the best one for your life.