PDA

View Full Version : Any way for 2017 500 Abarth to support Android Auto? Stock or Aftermarket.

ddisimo
10-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I think I already know the answer to this, but I thought I would try.

I am looking at a 2017 500 Abarth. I have recently used Android Auto in a car rental and loved it. I talked to the dealer and even chatted with fiatusa.com. They are saying there is no support for Android Auto on the 2017 (and 2018) Fiat 500s. I have read a bunch of press releases that say Android auto is coming, even read something about Uconnect Mirror. According to fiatusa, the 2018 500L and 500X will have Android auto, but not the 2018 500s.

I am hoping someone may have some information. I also looked into an aftermarket unit with Android auto, but crutchfield.com says that it recommends you do not replace the radio in your car. The only thing I can think of is that there are functions that the stock radio does that will not be available with an aftermarket radio. Any idea?

So, any help with trying to get a solution to have Android Auto would be great. Does not seem like this should be that hard.

Thanks,
Darrin

aelfwyne
10-05-2017, 12:52 AM
The main reasons not to replace:

1) Older models (all crutchfield seems to know about for now) required a double din kit that's very expensive (over $150) and low quality.
2) Adapters for steering wheel controls are hit & miss. With the pre-uconnect, Metra kits are GARBAGE and cause serious problems, sometimes even disabling the airbag (!)... iDatalink Maestro is better but limited to specific headsets.

I don't know about the uConnect cars, but I don't suspect the situation is much better. As far as I know there's no faceplate kit for the 2017 yet either.

It can be done, but it's tricky.

Bodasifa
01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
kits are now available from Metra for 2016+. and they are cheap !

Fiat500USA
01-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Funny they mentioned 2018 because they haven't released info on the 2018 500 yet.