PDA

View Full Version : New Owner - Looking to Upgrade Head and Fog Lights to LED

jscricca
09-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a used 2014 Orange with 22k miles. I absolutely love this thing and look forward to some very cheap and easy commuting (my employer has Level 2 chargers).

One thing I love on my vehicles are great headlights and a good sound system. For now the sound system will do but I'd like to upgrade the headlights.

Has anyone here upgraded to LEDs? I can't seem to find any threads.

I have a few concerns.

Will I have to add resistors to avoid any error messages. I've ready conflicting info on this.
Many LED bulbs have fans so I may not be able to get the dust covers over the cooling. I'm going to look for the smallest bulbs.
Gaining access to the fog lights. These seem very difficult to access and I can't find any info on getting to them.

If anyone has insight or advice please send it my way. I'll likely take on this project in the coming weeks.

rkw
09-04-2017, 12:21 AM
There's a related thread (I just noticed it below under "Similar Threads"): http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?26903-Will-LED-s-work-on-our-head-lights-tail-lights
There is an HID kit available and some forum members have installed it. I haven't seen a kit mentioned for LED.

The lights on the 500e are the same as a gas Fiat 500, and you'll find information more easily if you search Fiat 500 in general (the 500e is a small fraction of all of the Fiat 500 models produced)
https://www.google.com/search?q=fiat+500+led+headlights
https://www.google.com/search?q=replace+fiat+500+fog+light

charrigan
09-05-2017, 02:49 PM
1. Will I have to add resistors to avoid any error messages. I've ready conflicting info on this.
Headlights, foglights, and sidemarkers do not require load resistors. all other bulbs will require load resistors to be "error free". There are plug and play solutions without requiring splicing for the drl and front turn signals.
2. Many LED bulbs have fans so I may not be able to get the dust covers over the cooling. I'm going to look for the smallest bulbs.
As far as headlights and foglights if you want to run options that do not have fans you're going to sacrifice light output significantly. If there are alternatives that have a high LM output without a fan you will likely run into frequent bulb failures due to excess heat.
I was going to run LED headlights and fogs but I didn't want to run headlights without the use of dust covers. So I opted to run HID headlights and LED fogs. Fan clearance with the fogs was tight but they fit.

3. Gaining access to the fog lights. These seem very difficult to access and I can't find any info on getting to them.
access is so tight that the procedure for replacing the bulb is bumper removal. Luckily the 500 bumpers are designed so simple that removal takes maybe 10-15 min. You can replace the fogs without complete removal. If you have something to support the bumper in the air you can just pivot it forward with all the harnesses attached and replace the bulbs.

IMO the fogs were easier than the hid headlight install.