PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tires

Ricksuiter
08-31-2017, 11:37 PM
After having looked through the forum search there seems to be plenty of discussion on replacement wheels for the 500e, but nothing for just straight tire replacements.

My 14 500e I think has been driven pretty hard before I bought it and I didn't lighten up on it much so at 22k my front tires are at the wear bars. I had previously bought some of the stock Firestone tires which were take offs of a 13 500e locally on craigslist and I had those mounted last weekend, but it turns out they were badly cupped and they make a bad groan noise like knobby off road tires do so I'm in need of a replacement pair. The rears have tons of tread left however.

I keep coming back to the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus, which comes in our factory 185/55R15 size.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/ecopia-ep422-plus/185-55r15

It's low rolling resistance and actually has a higher tread wear rating than the stock Firestones. Has anyone tried these by chance? They rate slightly better overall on Tire Rack. I just want a quiet tire. They're about $95/ea mounted at Costco.

kxc262
09-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Prius owner use EP422 or Michelin Energy Savers A/S for max efficiency at the sacrifice of performance. I've heard good things about both tires. Check out this thread for more reference on the EP422.
https://priuschat.com/threads/feedback-of-ecopia-ep422-plus.152268/page-8

I got the General Altimax RT43 replaced OEMs around 18k I think. Efficiency took a big hit, but the tires held very well to the ground during the rainy seasons.

Ricksuiter
09-03-2017, 01:34 AM
Thanks for that. I think I'm going to go with the Ecopias. I'll have a 30 day return policy it looks like worst case scenario.

Greg Elmassian
09-03-2017, 02:06 AM
turned in my 2014 lease this year, got the same firestones for 60 bucks each from tire rack, mounted for 7 bucks each at walmart..

Greg

Ricksuiter
09-07-2017, 01:07 AM
I got the Ecopias mounted on the front today. So far 30 miles in and they feel about like I expected them to feel. I want to say they're a bit quieter than the factory Firestones that are still on the rear of the car.

Ricksuiter
04-13-2018, 01:25 AM
Update on the Ecopias. I would recommend them over the stock Firestones if you don't want to give up any range. The ride is mildly better and quieter. Their max PSI rating is lower, but I've ran them at up to 45psi for a few days at a time without issue. I usually run them at 30-32psi.

maximizese
04-13-2018, 12:23 PM
I have had the Ecopias on the fronts over the last 5K miles and haven't seen a gain or loss in range over the Firehawk tires. By virtue of the Ecopias being new, they are much quieter, have more grip, and make the steering wheel effort much less compared to when we were on worn out Firehawks. I'm curious to see how the tires perform as they get to their wear indicators. We keep the pressure around 32-35PSI.

Rambo
10-05-2018, 08:16 AM
I hated the stock tires that came with the car and decide to go with continental contiprocontact 195/65/R15. Its super quiet and there was no loss of mileage but then I rub. So my next set of tires will be 190/60/R15.