PDA

View Full Version : 2/15/11 Fiat 500 email.

Gavin
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Gavin.

The time has finally come! We are preparing for your Prima Edizione FIAT 500 to be delivered. See for yourself as the Prima Edizione vehicles are loaded and ready to embark on their journey.

Starting this week, a FIAT representative will be calling you to confirm your delivery location. We are so excited that you'll be getting your FIAT 500 soon!

Ciao,
Laura Soave
Head of FIAT North America

YEA!! (sits and stares at phone)

Gavin

Gavin
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Started a thread about the call in another spot...not sure how to link, so asking here :)

Thought I would start a thread asking is anybody has been called yet by Fiat?

Seems the word is they will be calling this week....as soon as anybody gets a call, well post the info here :)

Thanks

Gavin

<nabble_img src="FIAT_DELIVERY_PD_CRM5b.jpg" border="0"/>

Prima 109
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
If you sit and stare, it will never ring.LOL

sjmst
02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Gavin, I think you chose wisely; gray looks good from what little I see. White too is nice.
Still not sure how I feel about my color..Russo..

BUT, can't wait to get it!

sam500
02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I love the red with all the black accents! Very italian :) Definitely not Rosso Brillante, which makes it a bit sportier. Can't wait see it in person. They look much better than the digital illustrations!!

Prima 109
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I spoke with Maria @ the Fiat line and she said they will start calling Prima owners in numeric order starting with #11 on Thursday to confirm delivery options and locations. She said if anyone has any questions in the meantime to call them @ 1-888-ciao-fiat.<smiley image='anim_jump.gif'/>

Prima 109
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm with you on this one Sam! I like it, now that I can see a real car not a cgi. can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks!

Giallo Edizione
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I have resized the pic from my email and looked really carefully at the bit of the dashboard of the upper center red PE and compared it to the dash in this picture :

http://www.drivebulletin.com/uploaded_images/2008-Fiat-500-Ferrari-Courtesy-Car-731960.jpg

and I cannot see any red where it ought to be. I can see the red stitching on the steering wheel but nothing on the dash to indicated the dash insert is body color and not graphite.

Anyone else see something?

The PE's look pretty cool now that they are real.

Mike S
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I too prefer the body color dash. If I don't like the graphite I will order a red one to match my car. I will keep the graphite dash I remove so it stays with the car.

Gavin
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, from the tiny tiny tiny bit I see, the gray is quite fetching....but it does get the littlest amount of LOVE..ie images. How many gray 500's has anybody seen vs red, white, brown, yellow, blue....

Gavin

sketch
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I studied the picture closely and have determined that it doesn't show any of the bits of the dash that would be body color. It seems like all you can see is the top half of the steering wheel (from the top edge of the center bit) and, to the right, the radio faceplate. The body-color bit on that part of the car is narrow, only large enough to hold the sport, hazard, and rear window defrost buttons.

I wouldn't worry just yet! :D

sam500
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I have been playing with the pictures quite a bit and here's what I'm thinking...

I zoomed in as much as possible until the upper center imageis pixelated beyond recognition, and I also do not see any red. However, as far as I can tell all we can see is the upper dash, the part that is dark grey (or black) in all of the cars, and the driver's hand and shoulder. It is possible that the picture is angled in such a way that we don't see the "bezel", but I couldn't find anything that was comparably shot. The image that you are talking about is very much taken to showcase the whole interior, making the red part perfectly visible, so it's not an ideal point of reference.

Now, taking this a bit too far, I then started looking for pixelated traces of red, and this is what I found:

<nabble_img src="Detail.jpg" border="0"/>

It might just be my hopeful thinking, but maybe those hidden hues of red are from bits of the still secret "dash/bezel". All I know is that I couldn't really see a graphite anything, so this is just contributing to the communal question.

For now, I will try to come to terms with whatever dash we do get, and just enjoy the fact that these cars will make their way to

Mike S
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
In places that have had the 500 for a while it would be normal to see a body colored dash and the graphite would be a desired option.

The body colored dash is new to us and very cool. I liked that quite a bit and it matches my older 500. Given a few years of 500 ownership I may also want a graphite dash. Right now I want it to match.

Prima 109
02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Good ole Laura. She knows how to keep us in suspense, dosen't she?<smiley image='smiley_cry.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
<quote author="sam500">
I have been playing with the pictures quite a bit and here's what I'm thinking...

I zoomed in as much as possible until the upper center imageis pixelated beyond recognition, and I also do not see any red. However, as far as I can tell all I can see is the upper dash, the part that is dark grey (or black) in all of the cars, and the driver's hand and shoulder. It is possible that the picture is angled in such a way that this is all we see, but I couldn't find anything that was comparably angled to compare. The image that you are talking about is very much angled to showcase the whole interior, making the red perfectly visible, so it's not the ideal point of reference.

Now, taking this a bit too far, I then started looking for pixelated traces of red, and this is what I found:

It might just be my hopeful thinking, but maybe those hidden hues of red are from bits of the dash. All I know is that I couldn't really see a clear graphite bezel, so this is just contributing to the communal question. For now, I will try to come to terms with whatever dash we do get, and just enjoy the fact that these cars will make their way to us soon!
</quote>

Soooooo....they

sam500
02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
<quote author="Secret Bezel">

Soooooo....they carefully selected that exact angle to keep the bezel a secret as long as possible. They sure are crafty.

</quote>

EXACTLY!!!!!

Giallo Edizione
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
Gavin, I think you chose wisely; gray looks good from what little I see. White too is nice.
Still not sure how I feel about my color..Russo..

BUT, can't wait to get it!

</quote>

I think you are right about the grey. And the black stripe on the grey should look the best based on the pics IMHO. I saw a grey 500 in Paris last fall-it was a ragtop and it had chrome accents and looked really sharp-probably their equivalent of a Lounge model. I like my choice of red for me but the black stripe just might have to go. I'll need to buy a spare one from parts to hold on the side to sell the car as a real Primo at a 2x markup to pay for my Abarth :-). Along with the graphite dash...

Minuszka
02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't know, somehow the timing of today's email is odd. I know we're all excited and waiting for more and new information, but the last email was the engine video and that was a different issue from these factory snapshot montages. The last one similar to today's was the sheet metal, just about 10 days or so ago.
There was a post a few days ago where someone stipulated that maybe these aren't actual, just made photos, but who knows when they were taken and it's being fed to us according to a certain release schedule. I wouldn't think that way, but this looks like a sudden jump on the information line. No updates and photos about one of the most important part of a car making, the "marriage" when the engine joins the body, or about the dashboard inserted, or the painting; sheetmetal and then rolling the cars to the trailer.
I have a feel that there would have been more montage updates coming, but some roadblock for the delivery was cleared and we quickly jumped ahead to almost the last piece of the chain.
What do you all think?
I noticed on the photos that there is a round emblem, likely a prima logo -similar to the on on the seats - on the driver door pillar.

Prima 109
02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
that's the Prima Edizione Badge they were talking about Now if we could just get the Bezel mystery solved, we'll be good.

craig<smiley image='anim_blbl.gif'/>

sonicsby5
02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
This thread is hilariously nerdy, I love it. Way to go all CSI on that image! "Let's get that bezel over to Trace..."

sjmst
02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
<quote author="sonicsby5">
This thread is hilariously nerdy, I love it. Way to go all CSI on that image! "Let's get that bezel over to Trace..."
</quote>
Hey, this not Lamborghini Chat. We are not buying a fire snorting Italian Bull. We are fans of a cute and cuddly pup. <i>of COURSE </i>it gets nerdy. <smiley image='smiley_teeth.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
<Hey, this not Lamborghini Chat. We are not buying a fire snorting Italian Bull. We are fans of a cute and cuddly pup. <i>of COURSE </i>it gets nerdy. <smiley image='smiley_teeth.gif'/>
</quote>

It's not? We're not?.... Good heavens, I've made a terrible mistake...

Giallo Edizione
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Now if the graphite could look a little more like this I can be convinced:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/motors/phil_lanning/3412781/Honey-Ive-shrunk-the-Ferrari.html

sjmst
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
<quote author="Secret Bezel">
Now if the graphite could look a little more like this I can be convinced:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/motors/phil_lanning/3412781/Honey-Ive-shrunk-the-Ferrari.html
</quote>
I want that.

Mike S
02-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Snorting bull or prancing Volvo moose, it still makes a statement. This is on my Volvo wagon.
<nabble_img src="emblem2.jpg" border="0" class="left"/>

Jim McKenzie
02-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Very cool and reminds me of the "Prancing Donkey" the X1/9 guys use on their ca<nabble_img src="rbprancingdonkey.jpg" border="0" class="left"/>

RacerRon
02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
You guys should get a "Ferrari Trainer" plate for your Prima like this one I had made up for my X1/9.

<nabble_img src="ferrari_trainer.jpg" border="0"/>

sketch
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I love badging from the era that manufacturers deemed "five speed" an exciting enough option to advertise! <smiley image='smiley_thinking.gif'/>

Fiat500USA
02-17-2011, 02:58 AM
<quote author="sketch">
I love badging from the era that manufacturers deemed "five speed" an exciting enough option to advertise! <smiley image='smiley_thinking.gif'/>
</quote>

Maybe some of the "old timers" will remember the Fiat ad in the 70's where it said only 5 cars had 5 speed transmissions and 2 of them were Fiats? I can't remember exactly, and I can't find the ad in my collection. Anyone remember?

sketch
02-17-2011, 03:14 AM
Oh man... I have no idea, but I think I know someone who can help!

RacerRon
02-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't remember the Fiat 5-speed ad. I do know that several Fiats had 5-speeds in the early 70s. The X1/9 didn't get one until 1979, and that was because of complaints about the 4-speed buzzing at 4,000 rpms at 60 mph.

<nabble_img src="x19_five-speed.jpg" border="0"/>

sjmst
02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I called the fiat number. They said they get lots of calls about that!. THEY have no idea what the “graphite instrument panel” means. Isn’t that something. The FIAT info line doesn’t know what a car already built looks like.

Giallo Edizione
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
I called the fiat number. They said they get lots of calls about that!. THEY have no idea what the “graphite instrument panel” means. Isn’t that something. The FIAT info line doesn’t know what a car already built looks like.

</quote>

Best kept secret ever!

Minuszka
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
This question has been asked back in November, after the initial info came out. I asked ciaofiat back then. So it was 3 month ago, plenty of time to gather some information and provide an answer...

Gavin
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I still think we will get the dash in body color with a separate small outline in graphite around the speedo...

but I have the best of all worlds as I am getting the gray prima, so if the dash is graphite, well that will look great on the gray model. :)

Gaviin

sjmst
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
<quote author="Gavin">
I still think we will get the dash in body color with a separate small outline in graphite around the speedo...

but I have the best of all worlds as I am getting the gray prima, so if the dash is graphite, well that will look great on the gray model. :)

Gaviin
</quote>
I think you are right, Gavin. Makes no sense to have only those with a gray car have a matching dash. Or, if it is not an exact match to gray, have it be slightly off.

sam500
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Yet another bezel-related conspiracy...errrr, observation!

Looking through the 500 iPhone App, the "Instrument Panel" (as in Graphite Instrument Panel Bezel) very much refers to the Speedo and EVIC. If you look at the menu, it even shows a "speedo" image on the left hand side!

<nabble_img src="screen.jpeg" border="0"/>

sketch
02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Told you so :P

FiATL
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Just got off the phone with Maria discussing where my car is being delivered and asked again about the bezel. She stated that this is one of the most hotly discussed questions. She's heard that it is body colored but has also heard it is graphite and said, "Looks like we'll see when the first cars get delivered." Having worked for an auto manufacturer in a past life, this really doesn't surprise me. We would often have to talk to the consumers who were product geeks as they usually knew before we did what was upcoming. Odd but not a shocker.

Hoping Bianco 286 is chugging its way to Atlanta...with a white dashboard. (Fingers crossed.)

sjmst
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I am betting on body colored dashboard, and graphite around the guages.

Gavin
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
</quote>

me too...but as a person getting the Grigio model, well either is fine with me :)

Gavin

MrJones
02-22-2011, 06:32 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
</quote>

We should start a poll.

I vote for body-colored dash with graphite around the gauges. Why would Fiat mess with their iconic interior? Especially for the Primas?

But on the other hand, why would they even bother mentioning that it will have a graphite instrument panel bezel, if that's standard on all the cars anyway? For that reason it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing is graphite (which, along with the black top and decal stripe, would be a deal-killer for me).

So far, three votes for body-colored dash?

sketch
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I would bet good money that the dash is body-colored. "Bezel" almost always means "surround", the iPhone app uses "instrument panel" to refer to the gauge cluster, and the matching dash is the interior's centerpiece.

The normal Sport has a black instrument panel bezel; ours will be graphite. Perhaps it will have sort of a metallic-ish finish?

sjmst
02-22-2011, 06:39 PM
I vote body colored dash...

...and at the same time hope if it's not I can swap it out.

Mike S
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Mine's going to be custom. I will paint the graphite bezel blue.

Doodles
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I may be dumb, but whats a bezel ?

sketch
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sam500
02-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Sketch, this is actually exactly what I'm thinking! Not sure how many votes so far, but here's another one for the body colored dash. Depending on how they play it, the graphite instrument panel could be pretty cool!

Here's to hoping!

sam500
02-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Doodles, the FIAT 500 bezel is mythical object that may or may not be surrounding (or in the general vicinity of) the so-called "instrument panel" (some would call it a speedometer?) that could be painted graphite, or I guess, a number of other colors. Like blue. It may also be what some people here call the "dash" (or "that piece of body colored plastic in front of you"), although most (myself included) are hoping it is not. However, no one really seems to know for sure, so I personally believe that it could be any number of things, including but not limited to the windshield, the seats, the bumper, the pedals, the mirrors, or the glove compartment (all those are my best guesses, and should be taken with a grain of salt).

Hope this helps!

Fiat500USA
02-23-2011, 02:16 AM
??????????????????? I think the dashpanel is graphite. I'll try Fiat USA again;)

<nabble_img src="Prima_Edizione_Interior.jpg" border="0"/>

sam500
02-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Then according to this picture we're also getting a white speedo, even though the PE is a Sport :)

Also, where is my numbered badge on the Instrument Panel, or floor mats with the PE logo (per their email)?

Even though this might be more accurate than I'd like to give it credit, I'd rather think of a nice interpretation of what a (grey) PE will look like <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Or is this an official FIAT release?

sketch
02-23-2011, 02:41 AM
I refuse to believe that it isn't body-color! Let it be put on the record!

Prima 109
02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
I vote for body colored. The "bezel" should be the trim around the speedo. IMHO.

\craig<smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

MrJones
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
After seeing Chris's post with the photo, I change my vote to all graphite. Like I said before, why would they even bother to mention a graphite instrument panel bezel in the features list if it wasn't something "special" with this edition?
I hope I'm wrong! If it's all graphite inside, then I'm going to pass on the PE.

Gavin
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
ohhh, about the white speedo...

pop and lounge, white
sport, black

wouldn't it be cool if on the prima the speedo was the graphite part...would make it hella unique.

probably not though.

Gavin

sjmst
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok, look. I posted this somewhere else, I don't recall where.
I go with those who said this illustration represents a grigio car.

1) Note the color of the door sills matches the dash exactly.

2) The light colored ring around the speedo is a bezel and looks "graphite."

3) Further, what would a graphite dash match? If anything, maybe the inserts on the seats. In this illustration, the dash does NOT match the seats. Again, it DOES match the car's body color.

4) The Fiat rep saying that the dash is not body color I give maybe a 10% confidence rating to. lol

I know this is really reading the tea leaves, but what the heck..

<nabble_img src="Prima_Edizione_Interior_annotate.jpg" border="0"/>

Mike S
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Good job.

Nice of them not to even give us one picture of the Prima dash on a red or white car.

Gavin
02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
<quote author="Mike S">
Good job.

Nice of them not to even give us one picture of the Prima dash on a red or white car.
</quote>

Hey at least you get to see real versions of the White and Red Primas from the outside...anybody have a Grigio Prima image of the whole car?? 2/3rds of a car? Heck half the car? None that I've seen...

I feel like the ugly stepchild with my Grigio Prima :)

Gavin

sjmst
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Don't worry, Gavin, the grigio Prima will be very classy.

sjmst
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
And by the way, while I think the dashboard will be body colored, I think they not that expensive to replace:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-500-Dash-Board-Panel-Trim-2010-/400195982322?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2d8a13f2

MrJones
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
And by the way, while I think the dashboard will be body colored, I think they not that expensive to replace:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-500-Dash-Board-Panel-Trim-2010-/400195982322?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2d8a13f2
</quote>

Something to consider in the event my steering wheel winds up on the other side of the car!
I'm just messing with you! I'm sure you knew that the link is for a UK car

sjmst
02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
LOL, yeah, I went to ebay UK because I knew they'd give us an idea.

Gavin
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Should we all just start chanting real loud, "BEZEL, BEZEL, BEZEL" till our combined voices form an echo of a faint "bezel, bezel, bezel" that spreads across America and reaches somebody with a camera who is near a truck carrying the Primas and subconsciously influences that person to take a photo and send it to us?

Gavin

sonicsby5
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
"Bezel Across America." Someone should write a song.

sjmst
02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
<quote author="Gavin">
Should we all just start chanting real loud, "BEZEL, BEZEL, BEZEL" till our combined voices form an echo of a faint "bezel, bezel, bezel" that spreads across America and reaches somebody with a camera who is near a truck carrying the Primas and subconsciously influences that person to take a photo and send it to us?

Gavin
</quote>
LOLOL

AgentP
03-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok, I just stumbled into this discussion which should be renamed "bezel conspiracy" - are you guys saying that the cute pale green Fiat I am dreaming of ordering will not have a painted green dash? This is a deal-breaker --- all the models I saw at the Los Angeles Village dealership were all silver and had solid greys interior - I didn't think aout it at the time as being an issue because based on what I see on Fiat's website, the Sport interior has less color variation than the Pop does. I really like the Pop with the two-toned white headliner/dark grey/black seating and then with the white and the color dash (bezel?) area - it is very vintage looking and is most of the charm of the car! If they go with all solid dash/bezel color, it just ruins the whole vintage feel of the car.

CaliberSRT4
03-06-2011, 12:06 AM
<quote author="AgentP">
Ok, I just stumbled into this discussion which should be renamed "bezel conspiracy" - are you guys saying that the cute pale green Fiat I am dreaming of ordering will not have a painted green dash? This is a deal-breaker --- all the models I saw at the Los Angeles Village dealership were all silver and had solid greys interior - I didn't think aout it at the time as being an issue because based on what I see on Fiat's website, the Sport interior has less color variation than the Pop does. I really like the Pop with the two-toned white headliner/dark grey/black seating and then with the white and the color dash (bezel?) area - it is very vintage looking and is most of the charm of the car! If they go with all solid dash/bezel color, it just ruins the whole vintage feel of the car.
</quote>
The graphite dash is Prima Edizione only. All others will have a dash color-matched to the exterior color of the car. On the fiatusa website you can play around with different configurations and change the views to look at the interior dash panel for your configuration.