PDA

View Full Version : Starting to like my gas mileage

kzlm
08-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Some background: Last month I bought a used 2012 Fiat 500 Pop. I was a little disappointed in the gas mileage after my first fill-up. I got 36.41 MPG, not terribly bad but not as good as I expected from EVIC.

I just fueled up for the second time, and I must say that my gas mileage is much better and more like I expected the first time: 39.82 MPG. My driving was mainly rural but included some city driving and some small town driving. I guess my holy grail is to beat 40 MPG, and I almost did it.

So how did I increase the gas mileage? Well, I'm learning how to shift to maximize fuel economy, but I think the main reason is that I didn't use the AC nearly as much because we had a spate of nice days.

By the way, I went back to the same gas pump where I fueled up the first time.

Ando
08-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Looks like you are ahead of the curve (http://www.fuelly.com/car/fiat/500/2012)!

Hypermiling can be fun, but I really only observe the basics in the Abarth.

Don't carry unnecessary weight (keeps the car clean).
Pay attention to what fuel brand has the best consistency (my best diesel and gasoline tanks were BP, but they aren't consistent).
Windows below 40mph A/C above 40mph.
Watch traffic waaaay ahead of you and react before you "need" to.
Gentle accelerator use, scrub speed with engine braking before using the pedal.

That's just for commuting though, put me on a rural twisty and I'll push single digit MPGs all day with no guilt.

kzlm
08-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Thanks, Ando. The thing is, I'm not really trying to do hypermiling. I'm just using some common sense techniques. It took a while for me to get used to the shifting on the Fiat. It's unlike other manual transmissions I have driven as gears 1-4 seem to be geared to getting you in gear 5 as quickly as possible. I'm still not completely used to it.

Ando
08-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Hah, sorry for the unsolicited advice then. I do enjoy sharing Fuelly whenever I can as it is a spectacular site.

Your statement makes sense, though I don't think the idea was to "urge" the driver towards 5th. The gears are just short enable you to stay in a sweet spot, whether that be in the middle of the power band to zip through traffic or in an efficiency sweet spot which you are still sighting in. Either way, like you said, it's an adjustment that will take a little time.

This makes me wonder how many of the 500's 5spds are the same. I believe Abarth is the only one without a reverse lockout but the A500 and 500T should be geared the same while the NA 500s would have shorter gears, all based on my first-coffee-of-the-day logic.

Let us know how tanks 3, 4 and 100 go!

kzlm
08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Hah, sorry for the unsolicited advice then. I do enjoy sharing Fuelly whenever I can as it is a spectacular site.

Your statement makes sense, though I don't think the idea was to "urge" the driver towards 5th. The gears are just short enable you to stay in a sweet spot, whether that be in the middle of the power band to zip through traffic or in an efficiency sweet spot which you are still sighting in. Either way, like you said, it's an adjustment that will take a little time.

This makes me wonder how many of the 500's 5spds are the same. I believe Abarth is the only one without a reverse lockout but the A500 and 500T should be geared the same while the NA 500s would have shorter gears, all based on my first-coffee-of-the-day logic.

Hey no problem. I appreciate the advice and ideas.

When I say the Fiat shifts differently, what I mean in particular is that on other cars, whenever I needed a lot of power I could drop back from fifth gear to third. On the Fiat this is not so true. If I fell back to third, I'd either get a lot of engine braking or I'd have to give it so much gas that the tachometer would go very high. I guess if I need power in the Fiat, I should fall back to fourth gear. The gears on the Fiat remind me of a ladder with most of the steps very close together on the low end and one spaced pretty far out on the high end (fifth gear).

ice445
08-26-2017, 06:34 AM

The Abarth and 500T have the same C510 transmission which is completely different from the one in the normal 500's. Definitely different ratios, and I assume they're shorter for performance reasons. I struggle to get higher than 34MPG in most highway cruising scenarios between 70-80mph. The lockout isn't really a difference on the transmission end anyway, it's on the shifter assembly end IIRC. Just something extra you have to do to get into that gate.

pizzamann95
08-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Meanwhile, I'm lucky if I get over 25mpg. My daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip. I can bike it if I didn't have to drop my son off at school.

kzlm
09-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Well, my next fill up was slightly less at 37.58 mpg, but I was using the AC for a significant part of the time and I drove more aggressively. It seems though that not using the AC is the key to getting good mileage.

MJAB
09-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Usually in Fiat cars the first is only to start drive away from stop and for high steep, so going out of first as soon as one can is good.
You should take a look at torque curve, so, considering the rpm drop at each gear change (higher for 1st to 3nd gear change), try to change gears at lower rpm, but remaining after gear change in the zone where torque is higher.

The torque / power graph of your 2012 500 Pop should be similar to this one.

kzlm
09-28-2017, 02:18 PM
This fill-up I'm getting 37.36 MPG. It's very slightly down, but again I had to have the AC running part of the time, and I drove it more agressively. At this point, I think it's safe to say that I'm getting at least 37 MPG in country/rural driving that includes small towns. It's not as great as I had hoped, but after looking at others' gas mileage online, it's pretty good overall. Not many cars on the road that are doing better.

Ando
09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Not many cars on the road that are doing better.

Don't tell the diesel guys that. I was always irked when my MPG dropped below 40, which was usually only when temps were in double digit negatives. It was incredibly boring and sterile compared to the Abarth but I do find myself missing 600 mi tanks and full torque at 1700rpm on occasion.

I just checked and my TDI was only $0.009 cheaper per mile than my 32mpg Abarth (filled with 91 non-oxy exclusively). So in 10,000 miles I've "wasted" $90 on fuel. The afterfires alone are worth twice that much to me. I've probably had half a dozen people frown and tell me how disappointing my efficiency is for such a small car, I just smile and tell them that's not really the point of the car for me.

I guess my point is, I'm glad you like your ideal efficiency, but don't deny yourself fun or comfort to achieve it.

kzlm
10-24-2017, 09:12 AM
At my latest fill-up, I achieved 39.9 mpg! And I did that without really trying. I just didn't use the AC.

my67falcon
10-24-2017, 01:22 PM
If I drive for fun its always around 32-33. If I leave sport off and drive 65......28528

hoddinr
11-28-2017, 07:18 PM
On a trip from Crystal River Florida to my home in Largo, FL, a distance of about 90 miles, my 2016 Fiat 500 automatic got 45.1 MPG.
Set the cruise on 55 MPH, never touched the gas pedal or brakes. Used the expressway, which led to I-275 across Tampa Bay. Hit all the lights, so no stops.

Best yet.

Ron

Southernroadrunner
11-28-2017, 09:00 PM
You can clarify this is just a regular 500 not an Abarth correct.
Whatever that's really great mileage.Thats the kind of posts the manual shift guys post.

hoddinr
12-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Yes, a regular 500, not an Abarth. I have been using mid-grade fuel, which I think steps it up a bit in performance and MPG.

KhalilWilliams
01-09-2018, 02:43 AM
So how did I increase the gas mileage? Well, I'm learning how to shift to maximize fuel economy, but I think the main reason is that I didn't use the AC nearly as much because we had a spate of nice days.

Yeah, the 500 is definitely good for learning to maximize gas mileage. One of the main things I was bragging about with this car on social media was how economical it is. I remember one evening drive I had while I was working for an IKEA Store in the Greater Philadelphia Area, and it was a largely uninterrupted highway drive home (sometimes Interstate 476 is like a parking lot in both directions). I wasn't no tortoise, but I didn't have a lead foot either. No matter what, I still managed to pull 47.3 mpg that time. I flaunted that stuff on my Instagram story as if I was Sofia Vergara in the Ninja Coffee Bar commercial, talking about "I love getting what I want! Including good gas mileage!" jestera

How do you guys think you're fairing with the cold weather?

Ando
01-09-2018, 12:21 PM

I lost ~5mpg in my Golf TDI (Winter blend diesel is awful, but better than a tank of solid fuel in the morning)

Fuelly Chart (http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2013/fuelledando/211158/fuelchart)

I only lose ~3mpg in the Abarth and it seems to be more consistent overall. (I only recently learned that all gasoline is a minimum of 10% ethanol in the winter... really makes me wonder what I'm paying for at my non-oxy pump)

Fuelly Chart (http://www.fuelly.com/car/fiat/500/2013/fuelledando/532683/fuelchart)

P.S. Sorry if the charts don't work, I haven't really shared anything on Fuelly before.

problem_417
04-08-2018, 02:18 PM
I think every driver should track their mileage with fuelly! Here's my contribution to society:

https://i.imgur.com/ALOeKHo.png

rustbucket
04-08-2018, 07:36 PM

My mpg ('13 500 Sport, manual) dropped into the low 30's which I attribute to two things- cold temps and the need for new spark plugs. Cold temps mean a lot more idle time and leaving the car running where in warmer temps I'd shut it off. Had the plugs replaced last month at the 64,000 service and the difference is noticeable ... I'm back up to the 35 mpg range. Summertime I get 36-40. I usually get a 3 to 5 mpg loss in winter with good plugs, the actually amount depending on how cold it is.

my67falcon
04-08-2018, 09:51 PM

Still around 34 with temps in the 30s and 40s.