PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise from front passenger wheel

500L_MTL
08-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Hello,

My wife has a 2014 500L Lounge with approximately 54000km. The car has been great over the last 2.5 years we have had it.

Recently, we have started hearing an intermittent grinding noise when the car is rolling and the steering is turned to the left. I know for sure the sound is coming from the front passenger side.

I jacked up the car with the wheels turned left and spun the wheel. I of course could not spin it as fast as when we are driving but thought I heard rubbing. I removed the wheel and spun the disc. I noticed immediately the brake disc is slightly warped as the disc got hard to turn at one point then was back to normal then stiffer then ok but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Although this may be unrelated, I should mention the following. My wife always plugged the block heater during the winter. The clip that holds the plug on the firewall broke off sometime between winter and a few weeks ago. While trying to diagnose the noise, I noticed the cable fell down in between the air filter and engine where the belt/pulley spins. The head of the plug is sheared off. I was kind of hoping to find the plug end lodged somewhere causing the noise but there isn't much room to look down. I will be taking it to the dealer to do the latest recall and will have them take a look.

Was hoping for some last minute advice at what else to look for. The car otherwise feels fine.

I will have to replace the block heater as I am not sure I want to risk repairing te cable. Anyone have an idea how much the block heater goes for? I recommend checking the condition of the plastic clip to make sure it is not cracked and holding the plug sufficiently to prevent it from falling down like mine did.

Thanks!

MC

bryanintowson
08-06-2017, 08:59 AM
If I recall, the block heater was not a terribly expensive factory option so if you can find one from moparonlineparts or another mopar supplier, I doubt it will cost an arm and leg.

Daddio
03-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Two possibilities, bad wheel bearing or a bent disk brake backing plate rubbing on turns.