PDA

View Full Version : Got tired of searching for orange mirror covers…

hjz911
07-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Got tired of searching for orange mirror covers – Everywhere I looked, there were red, black, blue, pink, chrome, carbon fiber - every color under the sun, except orange!!

Decided to DIY….

Purchases:
eBAY - Black primed mirror covers - didn’t want to ruin the originals...$50
Automotivetouchup.com - Ordered Electric Orange Pearl spray paint…It’s a perfect match to the orange interior trim and has golden flakes in it too…$60

Painting:
Followed all the instructions written on the can….Specifically, spraying at 8-10 inch distance and waiting 10 mins between coats…
Applied 2 coats of Ground Coat
Applied 2 coats of Mid Coat
Applied 3 coats of Clear Coat
Waited 24 hours to completely dry

Removal & Installation:
Said a pray before removing original covers, as there aren’t any youtube vids on this little operation
Lowered mirror, found the 2 clips that hold the glass mirror (yes, its behind there somewhere).
Moved the glass mirror out of the way…
Un-clipped original cover from behind….
Installed new cover – carefully…
Reinstalled glass mirror – carefully…

And wa-la – done…Glad I took this project on – was very rewarding….Might consider painting the rear wing and wheel rims electric orange as well…Will see : )

Good Luck!!

Challenger
07-02-2017, 09:00 PM
That looks good. Were yours white like the original car color? I have the tri-color orange 500e and the mirrors and spoiler are both white. I have considered how it would look with all orange also. What do you think?

Tweak
07-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Got tired of searching for orange mirror covers – Everywhere I looked, there were red, black, blue, pink, chrome, carbon fiber - every color under the sun, except orange!!

Decided to DIY….

Purchases:
Automotivetouchup.com - Ordered Electric Orange Pearl spray paint…It’s a perfect match to the orange interior trim and has golden flakes in it too…$60

Painting:
Followed all the instructions written on the can….Specifically, spraying at 8-10 inch distance and waiting 10 mins between coats…

Removal & Installation:
Said a pray before removing original covers, as there aren’t any youtube vids on this little operation
Lowered mirror, found the 2 clips that hold the glass mirror (yes, its behind there somewhere).

And wa-la – done…Glad I took this project on – was very rewarding….Might consider painting the rear wing and wheel rims electric orange as well…Will see : )

Good Luck!!

Nice orange color, looks great.

That looks good. Were yours white like the original car color? I have the tri-color orange 500e and the mirrors and spoiler are both white. I have considered how it would look with all orange also. What do you think?

Copied from his post above....

hjz911
07-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Yes, the original mirror caps are white - i needed to break up the single coloring (all white) and contrast it...Now that i see how nice the mirrors came out, i am seriously considering painting the rear wing as well..

My suggestion is to take some pics of your vehicle, then use photo editing software like MS paint, adobe photoshop, etc...and color over the parts to get an idea of what it would look like...

One point to take here is that it can look great, even when painting from a can : )

good luck!!

VeeDubTDI
07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Looks good!

For what it's worth, the orange mirror caps on e-sport models are not the same color as Arancio Elettrico (electric orange) that comes on the orange/white 500e. My roommate has a gray e-sport and his orange mirror caps are darker than my car's orange paint.

Mborto
07-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Looks good!

For what it's worth, the orange mirror caps on e-sport models are not the same color as Arancio Elettrico (electric orange) that comes on the orange/white 500e. My roommate has a gray e-sport and his orange mirror caps are darker than my car's orange paint.

It looks darker to me in the pictures too. Want to paint my mirror caps orange but not sure of the colour, as I prefer the darker orange. Any chance you could take a picture of the two cars next to each other to see the difference? Anyone know what the color code is for the 'sport version' arancio electrico is?

WannaTesla
07-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Looks good! I wondered how the spray can paint would look with the tri-coat orange.
Def consider doing the spoiler and the black plastic inserts on the wheels (they are screwed in from the back of the wheel in case you didn't know), and maybe the bump in the hood. Or get a decal for the hood stripe, but the orange with the glitter looks great.

hjz911
07-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Yeah - it depends...When the mirrors are in full sun, the gold flakes in the paint brings out the brighter orange, when its in the shade it looks a little darker...

Its close enough for me - i do like the "depth" of the paint considering its coming from a spray can...

Southernroadrunner
07-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Decided to DIY….

Purchases:

Painting:

Removal & Installation:

Good Luck!!

Wow do those look great !!

WannaTesla
07-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Yeah - it depends...When the mirrors are in full sun, the gold flakes in the paint brings out the brighter orange, when its in the shade it looks a little darker...

Its close enough for me - i do like the "depth" of the paint considering its coming from a spray can...

I have the tri color orange 500e and the paint looks as you described. Darker orange in shade or at night and wham gold sparkle like crazy in sunlight or lights. Looks awesome in the picture.

pr0d1gy9
07-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Those turned out awesome man. I really like that color for sure. good work

pizzamann95
07-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Great project and write up. That orange looks amazing.

hjz911
07-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Looks good! I wondered how the spray can paint would look with the tri-coat orange.
Def consider doing the spoiler and the black plastic inserts on the wheels (they are screwed in from the back of the wheel in case you didn't know), and maybe the bump in the hood. Or get a decal for the hood stripe, but the orange with the glitter looks great.

Yeah - Not 100% sure against the "factory painted" tri-coat orange...I was simply trying to match my interior orange stripes and contrast my pearl white body paint...but its another thing when the entire body color is orange - a professional job might be needed to get an exact color match (due to fading, oxidation, etc)...Only way to find out is to invest the $60 in paint (and $50 if you don't want to paint over the original mirrors)...But if you are thinking of contrasting the tri-coat orange, then i'd go for it without any worries...

Thanks for the heads up on the wheel inserts!! as i haven't taken on that project yet : )