PDA

View Full Version : If updates are required-can dealer do without service work?

Kawzak
06-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Not trying to cheat the dealer out of anything-but if I do most/all my own maintenance and service work, will the dealer still do the updates ( if verified as needed), or put you off. Not saying they would. And or what if you were relocated to another state or city ?

prstone64
06-20-2017, 09:50 PM
My 2013 500 Abarth was still under warranty a couple of months ago, so I just dropped it off at local dealer, Criswell, got a free loaner, and picked the Abarth in a couple of days. No other work done and all completely free.

Fiat500USA
06-20-2017, 10:01 PM
There has been a policy change. Now when you go into service, the dealer will not automatically update your modules. You have to state you have an issue that the update will take care of so the dealer can do the update under warranty. Before, the dealer got paid to update the system. Now, FCA will only pay them if it addresses a customer concern.

Southernroadrunner
06-20-2017, 10:44 PM
There has been a policy change. Now when you go into service, the dealer will not automatically update your modules. You have to state you have an issue that the update will take care of so the dealer can do the update under warranty. Before, the dealer got paid to update the system. Now, FCA will only pay them if it addresses a customer concern.

You know thats just not right.When we go in for service the dealer should automatically do updates to the latest as far as I am concerned.
Even Harley Davidson dealers do that automatically when you roll into the check in area of service.Why wouldnt they want the most recent updates in the car to avoid a situation before it causes an issue.Just doesnt make sense to me.Thats just an opinion.No haters.

Fiat500USA
06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
You know thats just not right.When we go in for service the dealer should automatically do updates to the latest as far as I am concerned.
Even Harley Davidson dealers do that automatically when you roll into the check in area of service.Why wouldnt they want the most recent updates in the car to avoid a situation before it causes an issue.Just doesn't make sense to me.Thats just an opinion.No haters.

It is a little disappointing to hear. This may be because dealers are billing FCA for multiple updates on cars where there is nothing wrong or there are no complaints. Some of the cars don't have or will never have any of the issues addressed in an update and this may fall under the category if 'ain't broke, don't fix it'. Personally, I would like to have all the latest updates, but for example, there is a 500X bulletin about vibration at idle. Some of the cars don't have that issue, so I can see their point of why replace a motor mount that is working. The updates aren't replacing a part, but they still are billed for ~20 minutes of time at a shot, so it adds up.

The work around for this is to check Fiat500USA.com and this forum for updates as they are usually posted here. You can then go into the dealer if you have a concern and tell them what it is.

Southernroadrunner
06-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Yes sir I can see your point if it isn't broke don't fix it but, any performance/gas mileage/engine and transmission updates I would think they would at least check each car when it comes into the service dept., if it should have an update available and just do it.But that's just me and maybe each dealership is different. I know where I bought my car they did it everytime I went in, but the last dealership I went to for an oil change did not. Or at least they didn't mention they checked. It is what it is I guess.

Fiat500USA
06-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes sir I can see your point if it isn't broke don't fix it but, any performance/gas mileage/engine and transmission updates I would think they would at least check each car when it comes into the service dept., if it should have an update available and just do it.But that's just me and maybe each dealership is different. I know where I bought my car they did it everytime I went in, but the last dealership I went to for an oil change did not. Or at least they didn't mention they checked. It is what it is I guess.

I agree. I think it's a good idea to be proactive. If an update will noticeably change how something functions, then you should get the option of having it done. But in general, I think its best to walk out with the latest software.

Southernroadrunner
06-21-2017, 03:18 PM
I agree. I think it's a good idea to be proactive. If an update will noticeably change how something functions, then you should get the option of having it done. But in general, I think its best to walk out with the latest software.

Yes sir agree with that 100%

SeaDawg
06-21-2017, 05:29 PM
When I had my 1st oil change in December to change over to synthetic 5w-30 my paperwork stated a transmission module update needed to be done. When I asked, they said it wasn't done because of time constraints and when I brought the car in for more detailed service they would do the update. I have no complaints with the way the car shifts now (YES, it's an automatic) so I may just forgo this one unless they can convince me it's needed or I find out on here what it's supposed to correct.

Ez2517
06-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Driver: "so what would be the latest updates for my car ?"
Dealer: "well, there has been an update for engine management recently."
Driver: "and what kind of issues did that fix ?"
Dealer: "well, in some cases there was kind of a power loss under specific circumstances ...."
Driver: "now that you mention it, ...." :naughty:

Louofthejeep
05-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Even Harley Davidson dealers do that automatically when you roll into the check in area of service.Why wouldnt they want the most recent updates in the car to avoid a situation before it causes an issue.Just doesnt make sense to me.Thats just an opinion.No haters.

Because flashing a computer can be risking. There are many ways in which the computer can be corrupted. And in many cases, your module may not be one affected (due to trim level features, etc.) If they have to replace a computer because of an unnecessary update, you can bet the customer wont be happy and theyll have to eat the cost.