PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing and water pump failure

Daddio
06-20-2017, 12:18 PM
I asked the Fiat/Alfa mechanic today whats the best year 500 or 500L to purchase. He said all are good, but they all have a problem with wheel bearings failing early as well as the water pump seal. . He said to drive at times without radio and windows open. Bring it in before the warranty runs out for a check up was his advise .

I was looking over the threads with road noise etc, seems like a lot of guys blew it off to tire noise. The OEM 's don't make noise unless your driving on a washboard road.

At what miles did your bearings or water pump fail ?

I have a 1969 VW Bug with over 300,000 miles on the original bearings.

super15066
09-17-2017, 03:51 PM
I have 52,000 kms on my 2014 L and there's a grinding metal noise coming from the front wheel area when I turn to the right I notice it gets worse the longer I drove so tomorrow I have an Appointment with fiat to 1.get rid of the groaning in reverse noise (mine is a 6 speed manual) and now 2. Check the front wheel bearings

Ando
09-18-2017, 04:01 PM
I didn't realize this was a common issue, your post actually encouraged me to call my studio, so thanks!

I've been getting howling in the rear for the last ~1000 miles and eliminated tire and drivetrain noise. Shop replaced rear wheel bearings for me today under warranty (only one had failed).

~35000 miles on a 2013.