PDA

View Full Version : 5W-40 or 0w-40.? Motor oil

Kawzak
06-06-2017, 04:35 PM
South Texas. In stores I find plenty of 5W-40 synthetic oil for Diesel engine, but for regular gas engines only 0W-40. Maybe not an issue, but it is usually hotter down here, so curiosity what others experience. I can get AGIP 5W-40 or Amsoil, but I would have to order it. Thanks for you input.

Robert Nixon
06-06-2017, 05:30 PM
It always makes sense to me to get what is recommended in the owner's manual.

Antihistamine
06-06-2017, 06:33 PM
It's important that you use 5W-40 for the multiair solenoids. Several people use diesel oil (Rotella T6 5W40) on their cars with no problems. The only thing I would worry about with diesel oil is the zinc content which can mess up your catalytic converter. So if you're catless or you dont really care about your cat, you can use diesel oil.

Klasse Act
06-06-2017, 07:03 PM
I would absolutely run 5w40, especially down there!

I actually ran a 0w40 during the winter this year because it was on clearance (Valvoline Euro) and the API rating matched up as well, so I went for it because it was such a steal at $3.00 per quart. I used to run what the dealership had and for me it was Pennzoil Euro Platinum but now that the freebies are over I'm running Motul 5w40 and Mann oil filter, I call it my "European oil change".

Speaking of European, their cars call for 10w50 I believe but that engine is bit different than ours but I wonder if you could run that in the spring and summer down in TX?

WileyCoyote
06-07-2017, 02:13 PM
I’m confused. If you have to order the 5W40 anyways, why not just order the 0W40? I have the similar engine (1.4L Turbo) on my L and have only ever used the 0W40. Amazon has a 6 quart pack of Pennzoil Euro 0W40 that you can subscribe and save on and just set the frequency to 6 months or approximate month you mileage out. You can buy the OEM filter or an aftermarket one if need be. So I guess my consensus is, if you’re ordering why not order what the manual calls for?

******************EDIT**************************** **

Full disclosure, I got mixed up while reading initial post and I want to clarify. My L (1.4 L Turbo) calls for 5W40. I use 5W40 that I purchase via Amazon subscribe and save with the filter as mentioned above. I would highly recommend using Pennzoil Euro Blend Synthetic 5W40 as I believe that what the dealers use. However I’m sure other brands will work the same but as it’s not a diesel definitely stay away from the diesel stuff.

Kawzak
06-07-2017, 05:10 PM
If I am not mistaken the vechicle calls for 5-W40' not 0W-40. That is why I asked, yet Wiley says he runs 0-40. The stores are full of the "Euro" 0-40 stuff in 3-4 brands. The 5-40 is diesel, at pointed out has a higher zinc content, ( enough to harm the catalytic converter? Maybe so). So my question goes back to either ordering 5-40 ( Motul, Agip, Pennsoil, or Amsoil) or run the common 0-40 ?

Klasse Act
06-07-2017, 05:48 PM
I spoke to someone at Shell about their Rotella and he said the same thing about the amount of zinc and how it could harm the cat over time, so this is why I run Motul 5w40. Euro Compulsion has that oil, so support our vendor, I just order 5 quarts from them, along with the cool new oil cap they offer. BTW if Chris from EC sees this, I'm keeping the cap, LOL!

Southernroadrunner
06-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Always 5w40 in mine.I been using Mobil1 5w40 and there is 2 different ones and one is for a diesel application.Mobil1 5w40 is what my original dealer started it out on.When I can't get it anymore I probably will get oil from EC like Klasse Act refered to.

aelfwyne
06-07-2017, 08:06 PM
This comes up every few DAYS it seems on the forum.

Want to cheap out? Go buy a used Corolla.

Want your car to last? Use 5w40.

The euro engines specify a different weight, but they are NOT Multiair engines. The multiair unit is very sensitive to oil weight.

Kawzak
06-07-2017, 11:31 PM
I certainly am not cheap on oil. I only have used the full synthetics on our vechicle for years. It was just a question, that really begs for a ligitiment answer. I can see at very cold temps the difference between "0" and "5" weight may have some significance. At a 75 -90 ambient deg f starting point it may not (guessing)I am not a chemical engineer, I designed and built mechanical components and parts, and I am smart enough to use what is specified by the OEM I keep my reciepts in case of a warranty issue. The lubricant manufacturers just state the OEM spec to CYA. So without stirring the pot, I was just curious if anyone deviated-and their results ( as one poster has done). Thanks for your results/replies.

aelfwyne
06-08-2017, 06:21 PM
I will say it AGAIN since people can't frickin search.

The multiair system is a variable valve timing system.

It actuates SOLENOIDS which use OIL PRESSURE to ACTUATE THE VALVES.

The ECU determines VALVE TIMING based on a formula that includes the CURRENT OIL VISCOSITY.

The VISCOSITY of the oil varies with the TEMPERATURE and WEIGHT/TYPE of oil in the engine.

The ECU Calculates the VISCOSITY using a pre-set formula based on the VVT OIL TEMPERATURE Sensor.

Notice it is NOT a "Viscocity" sensor.

Therefore, it is crucial that the VISCOSITY and TYPE of oil in the engine be what the ECU Expects - that is, 5w40 with certain performance characteristics. The oil weight is not a variable in the formula - it is preset.

The further off your oil's viscosity from the SPECIFIED oil, the more ERROR the will be in the ECU timing calculation.

More error in ECU Timing = Less Efficient valve timing.

Now, if you want to discount all of that and what the factory engineers determined, because "Joe-bob Dikkleberry" runs some other oil, then feel free.

Are you gonna have problems if you use 0w40 instead of 5w40? Maybe not anything obvious, immediate and measurable.

But, the recommendation on the Multiair Turbo is MORE than just "Pennzoil made a deal with us". And it's not just CYA. The weight is actually important.

bianco scorpion
06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
If 5w40 were readily available all these threads & posts would be nonexistent.

And don't get me started on the anti-freeze requirements & availability.

non-Fiat owners : " geeezze, ya gotta be kidding me! NO thank you "

WileyCoyote
06-08-2017, 11:19 PM
It is available. You just have to order it. Sure you canít go out on a whim and pick up the supplies (unless you go to a dealer and even thatís not a guarantee). It takes planning. But if you get some before you need it, keep it on hand, and when itís time you will never have an issue. As I said prior, Amazon has it. The vendors here have it. Itís available.

The same goes for the Coolant. I found the concentrated version for just a few dollars more than the 50/50 with theoretically double the usage on Amazon.

As for the non-Fiat Owners, all I have to say is ďToo Bad, So Sad.Ē They can keep their cars that many of us have driven before, and never get to experience a Fiat.

Southernroadrunner
06-09-2017, 09:04 AM
I am thinking one resolve to getting 5w40 oil is ask our vendors. That's why there here. Ask EC, Ask NGEN, Ask Madness or one of the others if you can't find what you want.We all try to save a $ on things but the costs for engine replacement is pretty high.Someone also noted buying ahead of time. That's what I do. So maybe the oil is $10 higher or something vs the normal place you get it from, but the cost to replace that engine?

Trunkout
06-09-2017, 11:19 AM
I am thinking one resolve to getting 5w40 oil is ask our vendors. That's why there here. Ask EC, Ask NGEN, Ask Madness or one of the others if you can't find what you want.We all try to save a $ on things but the costs for engine replacement is pretty high.Someone also noted buying ahead of time. That's what I do. So maybe the oil is $10 higher or something vs the normal place you get it from, but the cost to replace that engine?
AND if you wanna end the whole debate on what oil to use... CALL each one and ask what they recommend.
My money is on "what the owners manual says".