PDA

View Full Version : 111 Built Last Week!

Vlad92
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Good news... I received my weekly issue of Automotive News today. In the back they have a production table listing cars built which they update weekly. For last week (12/20 to 12/25) they show 111 Fiat 500s built at the Mexico plant. Could these be the first batch of pre-production demos we have been hearing about? It also shows plant closings and notes most plants are down this week for the holiday break so I guess none will be built this week.

Fiat500USA
12-29-2010, 12:48 AM
<quote author="Vlad92">
Good news... I received my weekly issue of Automotive News today. In the back they have a production table listing cars built which they update weekly. For last week (12/20 to 12/25) they show 111 Fiat 500s built at the Mexico plant. Could these be the first batch of pre-production demos we have been hearing about? It also shows plant closings and notes most plants are down this week for the holiday break so I guess none will be built this week.

</quote>

I would say yes. These are some of the final <i>pre</i>-production cars just before serial production (our cars!).

Gavin
12-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Cool...now maybe an email to set up final options and such is in order?

Gavin

JustWilliam
12-29-2010, 01:43 AM
This is fantastic news!

I wonder when US spec 500's will be made available to the press for testing? Based on reviews of the European spec car, I think the improved structure, suspension, and engines will improve an already premium
sub compact.

Exciting indeed!

Peace,
William

Fiat500USA
12-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Today I talked with someone who has driven the cars extensively, and here's what I've taken away from our conversation: The key word is refinement.

While we all love the European car, time has moved on since its 2007 debut. Even with the revised suspension last year, there are areas that needed to be addressed for the very competitive US market. Specifically, NVH has been improved. Hitting washboard roads and potholes in the US are a reality, so the US 500 can handle that better than the Euro car.

Also road/wind noise was frequently mentioned with the Euro 500. This had to be addressed, no questions about it. New sound deadening and door seals along with a new motor mount take care of that.

Handling is the big question, and my source who has many miles in the Euro car says the US 500 handles as well as the Euro car with the Sport being a particularly good handling car.

Something else I took away from the conversation was; this car is seen as being purchased as <i>a want to buy</i> and not <i>a need to buy </i>item. It isn't an econo box, it's more like a treat, so a certain level of expectations had to be met. It just makes good sense to adapt to the market requirements.

sjmst
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
This is awesome. <smiley image='anim_jump.gif'/>

ciddyguy
12-29-2010, 12:56 PM
This sounds promising, I've read up on the Euro car and while it was a good car, it had some areas of question, like the overly bouncy ride in the 2008 model sedans and the steering is perhaps a tad too light, that kind of thing but I, in the end, don't mind a little noise, especially the engine at higher revs but road noise can be droning if too much though if constantly at it like on a long distance journey.

That said, sounds like they did improve things without softening the suspension much, if at all, just improved damping qualities and gave the suspension a bit more travel to help soften things like washboard roads and such.

I can't wait to actually see one in person soon.

Fiat500USA
12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
<quote author="ciddyguy">
This sounds promising, I've read up on the Euro car and while it was a good car, it had some areas of question, like the overly bouncy ride in the 2008 model sedans and the steering is perhaps a tad too light, that kind of thing but I, in the end, don't mind a little noise, especially the engine at higher revs but road noise can be droning if too much though if constantly at it like on a long distance journey.

That said, sounds like they did improve things without softening the suspension much, if at all, just improved damping qualities and gave the suspension a bit more travel to help soften things like washboard roads and such.

</quote>

He also said something about the steering.... it's been re-calibrated and has better directional stability.

The funny thing is some Euro forums are knocking the US car....they might wind up seeing a similar vehicle!

ciddyguy
12-30-2010, 11:17 AM
<quote author="Fiat500USA">
<quote author="ciddyguy">

</quote>

He also said something about the steering.... it's been re-calibrated and has better directional stability.

The funny thing is some Euro forums are knocking the US car....they might wind up seeing a similar vehicle!
</quote>
Heh, I'm not surprised, people HERE in the US are knocking the new Fiat even before it goes on the market!

That said, some may be jealous that we get an improved car before they do, but I think the perceptions of the ca

einy
12-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Regarding the question of when cars will be available for press testing ... apparently, they now are. See Road & Track's website, where you can read Peter Egan's "First Drive" of the 500! It also is in the Feb. 2011 print issue of R&T. I looked at the other popular U.S. car mag sites, but I don't see a similar article posted anywhere else yet.

Regarding the comment of some folks from the U.S. already knocking the 500, I guess I have to chalk that up to ignorance. Hard to knock something you haven't seen / driven yet, but that hasn't stopped many from making the prediction that the latest Fiats will fail this time around. I truly hope the cynics are wrong, wrong, wrong! Personally, I'm happy to see another compelling choice out there for my next vehicle, even if that purchase is a ways down the road.

Vlad92
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Not sure why it took me so long to get my Automotive News for this week, but it looks like Fiat production last week (1/10 to 1/15) was 363 units. This is also the year to date number so the assembly line must have still been down the first week in January.

sjmst
01-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Some of them MUST have been Primas! <smiley image='anim_jump.gif'/>

JustWilliam
01-22-2011, 04:04 AM
"<i>Not sure why it took me so long to get my Automotive News for this week, but it looks like Fiat production last week (1/10 to 1/15) was 363 units. This is also the year to date number so the assembly line must have still been down the first week in January.</i>"

Thanks again man! You are watching production numbers like no-one else, and I can't thank you enough for doing so. Amidst all the emotional discussions, it's good to KNOW that Toluca is actively building the FIAT 500, just as it did the Chrysler PT Cruiser from start to finish.

REAL cars from a REAL factory should not only encourage 500 fans with a reservation, they should be enough to convince skeptics that the FIAT 500 is a real product and not "vaporware" that we can only dream about.

Keep up the great work Vlad!

Peace,
William

Vlad92
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you! I'm glad I can bring some value to the discussion!

Jim McKenzie
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
thanks Vlad! You numbers are indeed keeping my spirits up :) Keep posting

Fiat500USA
01-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks Vlad for sharing this, it is much appreciated and I'm glad you're here.

ciddyguy
01-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Indeed and good work Vlad! With the major concerns over on another thread here, this should help allay any frustrations/fears of those who might decide to jump ship.

While I didn't go for the PE, simply due to lack of down payment funds and really, I would rather have a normal production run car and get it with what I want on it but even so, being apart of the early knowledge of this car, it frustrates me to see a lack of coherent communication from Fiat about the progress. Then again, getting to this point in the process has taken LESS time than most companies give themselves (Nissan Leaf) much more lead in time before ramping up production so on that note, we HAVE to give Fiat kudos for doing this on LESS time, difficulties, setbacks not withstanding.

In the end, I think they'd have done better if they'd have given themselves more time to roll things out, but it seems getting this car to market ASAP is imperative if they are to do this at all, given the flux the market is in currently if they are to succeed on any level.

So now it looks like production has started and now we just have to wait and hope dealers can get themselves up and running in time to begin selling the car.

Vlad92
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Numbers from last week (1/17 to 1/22): 453

spindoc
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for these updates. It's exciting the cars are almost here! I decided to pass on the PE but plan on getting a Sport when they show up at the dealers.

sjmst
01-25-2011, 11:10 PM
<quote author="Vlad92">
Numbers from last week (1/17 to 1/22): 453

</quote>
Thanks!

Vlad92
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Production numbers from last week (1/24 to 1/29): 525

Year to date total: 1,427

sjmst
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
So our PE s must be built!

Giallo Edizione
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
<So our PE s must be built! >

Somebody show me if I am wrong, but I never read anything in an authoritative article that stated that the Prima Edizione would be the first 500 _built_, only that 500 FIATs would be built for US market spec'd as PE's. And nothing stated they would come down the assembly line in sequence and all at once. So assuming 1,400 cars are actually already completed, maybe the PE's are already built, maybe only some are already built, but then again maybe not.

sketch
02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
That's kind of the point. Prima Edizione = First Edition.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/12/first-u-s-market-fiat-500-prima-edizione-reserved-for-fiat-fans/

If that's not definitive enough, I mean, I don't know what to say. The idea is that it's the first 500 to get to market. And, well, I'm sure you've seen the seats and the unibody by now...

jvsgabriel
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes hopefully all our cars are done by now, and are ready to be shipped up to us. With that many cars completed, it's just a matter of time (which is always is, isn't it?), and a matter of having a Fiat Studio ready in our immediate area, before we get the "the call". Then I guess we can hopefully have some sort of test drive on a model car and see if we really like it. Cause to date, I have had ZERO contact with any dealer here in San Diego. And all those 500's were buzzing around town just two weeks ago.

Joel

sjmst
02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I can see where the Prima Ediziones are the ones first sold, not necessarily first built. The test cars for the dealers may be first built, for example. But the first cars to hit the streets being owned and driven by actual customers will be the Primas. Thus they are still first sold but maybe not first built.

jvsgabriel
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
You may be right with that. But hopefully some of those cars will be the first batch of PE's. I mean how many actual dealers are up and running and can do test drives? Perhaps only 20 dealers/Studios out of the possible 130 they want by the end of the year are up and running now, that would be 26 test cars per studio. Even with a hypothetical 65 dealers up and ready (half of the 130), that would be 8 test cars per dealer. I am looking on the bright side and thinking that at least some of these cars are the PE's and say most are the test cars for the dealers up and ready.

sketch
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
That's my logic. Even at two per dealer for all 130 dealers, that still leaves almost 200 more demos and preproduction models for testing and such before we get to the 1,000 PEs.

Mike S
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Chris has just added some video from last months presentation to the press.

In the first video with Laura speaking at the 8 min 30 second mark she says the first ordered cars will be delivered to us this month.

Even if the studios are not ready, the staff have been training. May as well let them practice with eager enthusiasts. We will forgive them if they screw up and probably correct them with more accurate information.

sjmst
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
<quote author="sketch">
That's my logic. Even at two per dealer for all 130 dealers, that still leaves almost 200 more demos and preproduction models for testing and such before we get to the 1,000 PEs.
</quote>

Year to date total: 1,427

2 demos per dealer - 260

That leaves 1,167 cars.

Take 1000 out for all PE's and we still have over 150 left over for misc cars.

Seems our cars might be built!

Jim McKenzie
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
are there 1000 PE's? Had thought only 500 500's :)

If 1000 they missed a good marketing concept...

sjmst
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
<quote author="Jim McKenzie">
are there 1000 PE's? Had thought only 500 500's :)

If 1000 they missed a good marketing concept...
</quote>
500 USA
500 Canada

MrJones
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Are these cars being sold anywhere else in North America? Don't they sell a version in Mexico too? Also, is this plant producing cars for Brazil? I thought I read somewhere that Brazil was going to be a big market for the 500.

sjmst
02-04-2011, 03:49 PM
<quote author="MrJones">
Are these cars being sold anywhere else in North America? Don't they sell a version in Mexico too? Also, is this plant producing cars for Brazil? I thought I read somewhere that Brazil was going to be a big market for the 500.
</quote>

Maybe! In any case, they can turn out several hundred a week, so if our cars are not built yet they may be in a week or two.

Giallo Edizione
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
<quote author="sketch">

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/12/first-u-s-market-fiat-500-prima-edizione-reserved-for-fiat-fans/

If that's not definitive enough, I mean, I don't know what to say. The idea is that it's the first 500 to get to market. And, well, I'm sure you've seen the seats and the unibody by now...
</quote>

Read that press release again. No where in the press release does it say they are the first 500 to get to market. Here is what it says:

"These long-time enthusiasts of the Fiat brand and vehicles, some for almost 27 years, were given the first opportunity to place reservations and select their vehicle build number for the unique Fiat Cinquecento 'Prima Edizione' (First Edition) model. A total of 500 of these collector-edition Fiat 500 models will be sold in the United States."

First opportunity to place an order on an exclusive collector-edition run of 500 PE's does not equate to the first 500 cars to go to market. No where that I can find in any authoritative literature is there a clear indication of when in the production run these PE's will be produced. If there is, somebody should post it.

sjmst
02-04-2011, 04:24 PM
<quote author="TopoRosso">
<quote author="sketch">

</quote>

Read that press release again. No where in the press release does it say they are the first 500 to get to market. Here is what it says:

"These long-time enthusiasts of the Fiat brand and vehicles, some for almost 27 years, were given the first opportunity to place reservations and select their vehicle build number for the unique Fiat Cinquecento 'Prima Edizione' (First Edition) model. A total of 500 of these collector-edition Fiat 500 models will be sold in the United States."

First opportunity to place an order on an exclusive collector-edition run of 500 PE's does not equate to the first 500 cars to go to market. No where that I can find in any authoritative literature is there a clear indication of when in the production run these PE's will be produced. If there is, so

sketch
02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Okay, but considering that they've built nearly 1500 of them, that it's called the <i>First Edition</i>, and that the Prima remains to this day the only way to preorder a Cinquecento, I think our chances are pretty good.

Not that it matters. They'll deliver it when they deliver it. You're still gonna get your car.

Giallo Edizione
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
<quote author="sketch">
Okay, but considering that they've built nearly 1500 of them, that it's called the <i>First Edition</i>, and that the Prima remains to this day the only way to preorder a Cinquecento, I think our chances are pretty good.

Not that it matters. They'll deliver it when they deliver it. You're still gonna get your car.
</quote>

Can't disagree with that entirely.

A little longer wait not so bad-the snow here is almost higher than the 500. <smiley image='smiley_cry.gif'/>

MrJones
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I found this interesting statement in an article about the Austin Fiat dealership:

"Fiat of Austin will accept delivery of 60 to 70 Fiats in the next two weeks, and about 20 have already been sold, Copeland said."

http://www.statesman.com/business/area-employers/pieces-in-place-for-march-1-opening-of-1232161.html

Mike S
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Smart dealer. He responded to one of the comments (fix it again) with a sales pitch and an invitation for a test drive.

Class.

sjmst
02-05-2011, 10:38 AM
<quote author="Mike S">
Smart dealer. He responded to one of the comments (fix it again) with a sales pitch and an invitation for a test drive.

Class.
</quote>
Here is what I have posted in a couple of places when there are comments on Fiat articles.

"To those who are reading this trying to decide if the Fiat 500 is worth a look consider this:

No car or car company is perfect but,

- Almost EVERY reviewer raves about it.

(Overwhelmingly positive, very few negatives)

- Price is great

- Mileage is great

- Fun to drive

- Very well equipped

- These have been sold for years in Europe. They sell all they can make, and proved themselves reliable

Now consider the ‘critics”

“Yeah fix it again Tony, yuk, yuk, what a POS, they were junk 25 years ago.”

What makes more sense?

Following the many positive reviews and thousands of satisfied owners?

Or some random "critics", 95% of whom have never driven the car, and think that what happened 25 years ago in the car industry is somehow relevant today?

As or me, I already put down a deposit and can’t wait to get one."

Prima 109
02-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree.

craig

Jim McKenzie
02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
ah, now THAT makes sense. Thank you!

Hey anyone know if they are actually selling the 500 in Mexico, have heard Canada and US f course, but nothing about the country they are actually being built in :)o

Mike S
02-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think they sell them in Mexico. I checked a couple of years ago in an effort to smuggle one in.

sketch
02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Well, if they were to start selling them in Mexico, it'd be now. The Toluca plant serves at least all North American production.

MrJones
02-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I know Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source, but according to them, "The [Fiat] Nuova 500 was introduced in Mexico in September 2008, powered the 1.4 L 16V 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp) engine, transmissions are dualogic for the 500 Classic, 500 Lounge and 500 Vintage trims or six-speed manual gearbox for the 500 Sport Trim. The 500 Abarth variant has been introduced during 2009. Mexico became the first country in the Americas in which the Nuova 500 is sold."

Plus the worldwide Fiat site lists Mexico as a country option (the site is down right now--viewing the cached page).

sketch
02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Ah, touché. I stand corrected.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. I've seen a couple Renaults and SEATs tooling around with Mexican plates!

RacerRon
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the 500 is sold in Mexico. I live on the Texas border and have seen several 500s driving around in the U.S. with Mexican plates, along with scores of Renaults.

Fiat500USA
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
The 500 is sold in Mexico. Though, I think they are changing importers. There is another Chrysler built in the Toluca plant. Are we sure the figures are specific for just the 500?

The rough figures I've seen are (and these are old estimates) between 5,000 - 6,000 units made between February - April. I've also been told that the first production cars for sale will be ours. These marketing units are not for sale and belong to Chrysler. Exactly how our cars come down the line, I was told in passing, but I'm not exactly clear on. They may be in order but intersperced between other cars (?). I'll try to find out.

CaliberSRT4
02-06-2011, 03:15 AM
That's true, the 2011 Dodge Journey is also built there. The PT Cruiser is no longer manufactured.

Mike S
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I went to the Fiat Mexico website and they are selling the 500 but they were not available two years ago when when I tried to get one. It looks like the one they sell now is the European version. I think that will of course change.

MrJones
02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
So let's apply a little simple logic here.
IF the report from Austin Fiat that they will receive 60-70 cars in the next two weeks is true ("Fiat of Austin will accept delivery of 60 to 70 Fiats in the next two weeks" according to statesman.com),
AND not all of these vehicles are marketing units (I would be shocked if the dealer needed 60-70 vehicles for testers),
AND, as Chris points out, "I've also been told that the first production cars for sale will be ours."
THEN our cars will arrive in the next two weeks.

Logically, that makes sense, but we've seen how things haven't necessarily gone according to logic.

sjmst
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
<quote author="MrJones">
So let's apply a little simple logic here.
IF the report from Austin Fiat that they will receive 60-70 cars in the next two weeks is true ("Fiat of Austin will accept delivery of 60 to 70 Fiats in the next two weeks" according to statesman.com),
AND not all of these vehicles are marketing units (I would be shocked if the dealer needed 60-70 vehicles for testers),
AND, as Chris points out, "I've also been told that the first production cars for sale will be ours."
THEN our cars will arrive in the next two weeks.

Logically, that makes sense, but we've seen how things haven't necessarily gone according to logic.
</quote>
We are like shipwreck victims trying to figure out when we will be rescued. <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

Prima 109
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Who's Gilliigan? lol.

Craig

sjmst
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
<quote author="prima 109">
Who's Gilliigan? lol.

Craig
</quote>
Not sure, but I think Chris is the Professor.

Jim McKenzie
02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
"I know Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source, but according to them, "The [Fiat] Nuova 500 was introduced in Mexico in September 2008, powered the 1.4 L 16V 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp) engine, transmissions are dualogic for the 500 Classic, 500 Lounge and 500 Vintage trims or six-speed manual gearbox for the 500 Sport Trim. The 500 Abarth variant has been introduced during 2009. Mexico became the first country in the Americas in which the Nuova 500 is sold."

Plus the worldwide Fiat site lists Mexico as a country option (the site is down right now--viewing the cached page). "

Mexico sells the Abarth version already? If I lived in Texas or other border states I'd be sorely tempted to buy one there and attempt to re-register in the States. Probably not strictly legal, but it would get you the Abarth version a year early :)

MrJones
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
If you want to do it legally, check out http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm

Doesn't seem worth it.

MrJones
02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but...
Checking out the Fiat Mexico website, I can't see an Abarth listed there as a model option. Additionally, the Sport (6-speed!) version is selling for about 271,900 (about $23,700). Wow!

Fiat500USA
02-06-2011, 06:31 PM
<quote author="sjmst">
<quote author="prima 109">
Who's Gilliigan? lol.

Craig
</quote>
Not sure, but I think Chris is the Professor.
</quote>

Forget the Professor, I want to know who Mary Ann is! <smiley image='smiley_tongue.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Return-path: <kehrlich@syntapharma.com>
Envelope-to: ml-node+2439911-1456483372-332891@n3.nabble.com
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 15:18:25 -0800
Received: from mail55.messagelabs.com ([216.82.241.163])
by sam.nabble.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <kehrlich@syntapharma.com>)
id 1PmDs9-000148-0w
for ml-node+2439911-1456483372-332891@n3.nabble.com; Sun, 06 Feb 2011 15:18:25 -0800
X-VirusChecked: Checked
X-Env-Sender: kehrlich@syntapharma.com
X-Msg-Ref: server-15.tower-55.messagelabs.com!1297034299!111829252!1
X-StarScan-Version: 6.2.9; banners=-,-,-
X-Originating-IP: [209.113.133.9]
Received: (qmail 16234 invoked from network); 6 Feb 2011 23:18:20 -0000
Received: from static-209-113-133-9.ngn.onecommunications.net (HELO exchcluster.syntapharma.com) (209.113.133.9)
by server-15.tower-55.messagelabs.com with RC4-SHA encrypted SMTP; 6 Feb 2011 23:18:20 -0000
Received: from 192.168.100.4 ([192.168.100.4]) by EXCHCLUSTER.SYNTA.COM ([10.10.0.77]) with Microsoft Exchange Server HTTP-DAV ;
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 23:18:19 +0000
Subject: Re: 111 Built Last Week!
References: <1296924095328-2432076.post@n3.nabble.com> <1296925134749-2432159.post@n3.nabble.com> <1296927034902-243242

CaliberSRT4
02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
It would be worth it to stay patient and wait a year for the upgraded 170 hp Abarth.

RacerRon
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm going to wait for the Abarth version too. Just wondering what the price will be. Based on prices from the Abarth UK, I'm guessing $23,000 to $25,000. I'm hoping it's not more than 25 grand.

Fiat500USA
02-08-2011, 03:25 AM
<quote author="RacerRon">
I'm going to wait for the Abarth version too. Just wondering what the price will be. Based on prices from the Abarth UK, I'm guessing $23,000 to $25,000. I'm hoping it's not more than 25 grand.
</quote>

I think you're in the right ball park. Wish it would be less expensive, though.

CaliberSRT4
02-08-2011, 04:33 AM
I would guess $21,500 to match their pricing cadence.

$15,500 - Pop
$17,500 - Sport
$19,500 - Lounge
$21,500 - Abarth

Seems like most of its competition is right around $24k. Golf GTI, Cobalt SS, Cooper S. I would expect the Abarth to be cheaper.

Vlad92
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Production numbers from last week (1/31 to 2/5): 694

Year to date total: 2,121

RacerRon
02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
$21,500 would be a nice starting price for the Abarth. The Mini Cooper S starts at $23,700, but when you start adding their packages it adds up. The Sport package is an extra $1,250. If the U.S. version of the Abarth come with the 170hp engine, I'm hoping Fiat/Chrysler includes the suspension and wheels from the European SS.

The 170hp MultiAir engine from the Alfa Mito Quad. Verde has a 0-100 kph time of 7.7 seconds in a car that weighs 2759 lbs. In contrast the 500 Abarth SS does 0-100 kph in 7.4 seconds, but is almost 500 lbs. lighter. The engine in the Alfa also has 185 lbs-ft. of torque compared to the SS (170 lbs.-ft. of torque). I'm guessing that the U.S. spec Abarth with the Alfa engine would do 0-60 in the very low 7s. That would put it a lot closer to the speed of the Mini Cooper S. Hopefully, Fiat engineers are thinking about this too.

Sorry if a rambled a bit, just thinking out loud.

JustWilliam
02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Perhaps it's due to my experience waiting on an Aptera, but seeing the number of 500's built each week gives me the "warm fuzzies". REAL VEHICLES! Yay!

I understand the excitement and impatience of fellow fans, especially PE reservation holders. But the simple fact that 500's are rolling out of Toluca is reason for optimism. So thanks again Vlad.

Peace,
William

CaliberSRT4
02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Meh, those are probably 95% Dodge Journey's. LOL

sketch
02-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Unless I missed something, Vlad said in the OP that the numbers are for "Fiat 500s built at the Mexico plant".

Jim McKenzie
02-09-2011, 06:28 AM
thanks Vlad, these hard numbers are really helping us with Fiat 500 Deprivation Syndrome :) Seriously, they really help. We know the cars are going...somewhere, even if we can't see them or test drive them yet. Production does seem to be ramping up each weeek too. Anyone have an idea of what the line is "supposed" to produce each week? I would guess about 800-1000 cars since their target sales numbers were quoted at times of 40,000 to 50,000 the first year.

My "local" dealer (40 miles away seemed a lot til I heard how far some of you have to drive) is at the LA training, back Monday and I was told I am now #1 on his customer call list, and he expects his teest car in next week as well. Unfortunately I amsure it will be a manual Sport, and I'm thinking of getting an auto Lounge.

If I hear anything from the dealer I'll post right away.

Thanks again Vlad!

Gavin
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Nice....one concern...where are all those 500s going?

I really like that Fiat is going "no hassle" sales like Saturn.

The down side is, well Fiat is marketing the 500 as "500,000 variations...make it your way...no two alike"...so if there is no hassle pricing why would anybody buy a car off the floor? I would want to make it just the way I want, order it and then wait 6 weeks and pick up the car....

Yes there might be a few people who can't wait and will buy a car right off the lot, but it seems the 500 is mostly about, get the car You want.

Price isn't the issue as the price is the price...no haggling...no discount for car on lot (except maybe one that is the test drive model).

Gavin

Giallo Edizione
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
<quote author="Gavin">
Nice....one concern...where are all those 500s going?

I really like that Fiat is going "no hassle" sales like Saturn.

The down side is, well Fiat is marketing the 500 as "500,000 variations...make it your way...no two alike"...so if there is no hassle pricing why would anybody buy a car off the floor? I would want to make it just the way I want, order it and then wait 6 weeks and pick up the car....

Yes there might be a few people who can't wait and will buy a car right off the lot, but it seems the 500 is mostly about, get the car You want.

Price isn't the issue as the price is the price...no haggling...no discount for car on lot (except maybe one that is the test drive model).

Gavin
</quote>

Well that was pretty much the way it went with the MINI Cooper introduction in 2002 when I bought my MINI. Lots of choices and sold at sticker (in many cases sticker + "market adjustment" grrr). Back then it was up to a 6 month wait for custom configuration. So the dealers sold everything they got in immediately to customers who just couldn't stand the wait. The way my dealer worked it was the customer put in an order for a custom configuration and then they were

Vlad92
02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Production numbers from last week (2/7 to 2/12): 298

Year to date total: 1,438

I'm beginning to question these numbers... as the year to date total went down from last week. I guess that is why the disclaimer says "Automotive News estimate". So take it for what it is worth!

Fiat500USA
02-17-2011, 02:43 AM
<quote author="Vlad92">
Production numbers from last week (2/7 to 2/12): 298

Year to date total: 1,438

I'm beginning to question these numbers... as the year to date total went down from last week. I guess that is why the disclaimer says "Automotive News estimate". So take it for what it is worth!
</quote>

I received info from Chrysler that says 724 Fiat 500 Sedans were manufactured in December 2010. How does that compare to your source? The time frame looks like Dec 10 thru Jan 10.

MrJones
02-18-2011, 10:05 AM
FWIW, the <a href="http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/fiat-north-america-announces-a-500-electric-abarth-and-cabrio/">NYTimes</a> reported that "the first, 1,500-unit shipment of 500s has already left its assembly plant in Toluca, Mexico." (17 Feb Wheels blog)
So your numbers may be good.

sketch
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, Automotive News <i>is</i> where all the autojournos get their info, after all! :P

Vlad92
02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Production numbers from last week (2/14 to 2/19): 188

Year to date total: 1,629

Vlad92
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Production numbers from last week (2/21 to 2/26): 488

Year to date total: 2,117