PDA

View Full Version : If cost was same would you buy a loaded "L" or "X" USA models

Kawzak
05-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Thinking of a 500X maybe an L, What are ups of the "L"s 1.4 Turbo vs the 2.4 NA of the "X" both FWD. Your opinions on driving of either?, Handling differences?(2016 or 2017) models of either.

WileyCoyote
05-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Let me start this off by saying I love my L. It was the perfect car at the perfect time. That being said, if presented this exact scenario, I'd choose the X. While I love my L, the X stands out as the better vehicle. Engine the transmission pairing seems spot on. The only down side is the awkwardness off the Uconnect screen size. The L had/has a better option. I like the more rugged exterior of the X. I have the L Trekking and it's more rugged looking than base L's but the base model x has it from the get go. Now I don't have a lot of experience with the newer year models but if asked to pick, I'd still go with the X with the 2.4L.

Side note, if those weren't the only two choices in the similar category the base Subaru Crosstrek is ~$600 more than a base L and that'd be my choice.

fieryphoenix
07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
I started my Fiat life with a 2013 500 Sport 5-speed. Loved it. Arguably the most fun car I ever owned. After 2 yrs my left knee gave out on me bowling one night and I could no longer stand driving a manual in stop and go traffic.

Went to the dealer with the intention of trading up to an X Trekking. Drove it...My initial impression was meh. Loved the dash layout (so excited the 2018 L is going to be similar). The line splitting the quarter window out on the front doors made using the sideview mirrors very awkward. Also, the 9 speed auto shifted crazy to me...I know its in the interest of saving fuel, but I swear you were in 4th gear by the time you hit 20mph. Lastly, it felt almost as cramped as a Nissan Juke.

Told the salesperson I wanted to drive the L Trekking next just to see...I made a right out of the dealership and 50 yrds down the road I turned around and said "I'll take it". Loved everything about it. The roomy, airy feel...the fish bowl cockpit...it drove so much better to me. The cargo space is unreal for a "small" car.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but dollar for dollar I would pick the L every time. I wish they offered it with the 2.4 because the 1.4 feels a little anemic at times...mainly with 3 other passengers on board...but that is really my only complaint.

Fiat500USA
07-27-2017, 11:09 AM
The L is a nice car. I love how roomy it is and how the seats can move and can be configured. There's a reason why it is the best seller in Europe and I wish more people here would check them out and see. I have an X, but there are a lot of things I wish it had like the L.

Ez2517
07-31-2017, 07:32 AM
I would prefer the X if it was not so cramped inside. I'm rather tall and I felt really uncomfortable. So I would have to stick with the L (which I currently own), while I assume that the X is technically the better car, since the L seems to be derived from a commercial vehicle and has a solid axle in the rear, which can be noticed quite well, it is not really a comfortable ride, especially not with 17" rims. Solid axles are quite uncommon in the meantime (at least here in Europe), and I guess there is a reason for that.

Amacento
07-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Mine will likely be an Elle when I decide to purchase a large 500 (for many of the reasons already listed).

I perk up when I see an X because it's another FIAT on the road. I perk up when I see an Elle because it's another unique FIAT on the road.

Jason Tech1
09-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Look at the stats, the 500L is one of the most bought back vehicles (unhappy customers). The X is made in Italy and the L is made in Slovakia. The X has less issues and as long as you don't buy the bottom end X with the 1.4L you are driving a much better vehicle than the L.

Ez2517
09-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Look at the stats, the 500L is one of the most bought back vehicles (unhappy customers). The X is made in Italy and the L is made in Slovakia. The X has less issues and as long as you don't buy the bottom end X with the 1.4L you are driving a much better vehicle than the L.

One would have to look closer at the numbers. The unhappiness of many owners seems to often be related to the transmission issues that you can avoid when buying one with manual transmission.

The L is not built in Slovakia but in Serbia, in the Kragujevac plant.

Brandy

Fiat500USA
09-08-2017, 09:17 AM
I would prefer the X if it was not so cramped inside. I'm rather tall and I felt really uncomfortable. So I would have to stick with the L (which I currently own), while I assume that the X is technically the better car, since the L seems to be derived from a commercial vehicle and has a solid axle in the rear, which can be noticed quite well, it is not really a comfortable ride, especially not with 17" rims. Solid axles are quite uncommon in the meantime (at least here in Europe), and I guess there is a reason for that.

True that the L is a roomier car than the 500X, the 500L is after all, an MPV and is geared towards maximum use of space and versatility. One note, the 500X has a fully independent rear suspension. The 500L has what is technically a semi-independent suspension using a torsion-beam axle. The difference in ride can be attributed to the suspension tuning of the 500X which is geared more towards the "sport" side. The 500L is tuned more for a "family car" ride.

akcapfiat
09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Zombi thread!

I drive a 2015 500 Sport and my wife drives a 2015 500L (Elle), Easy trim level. I've not driven an X but have driven a Jeep Rengade -- its sister variant.

We really like our Elle -- which stands out from the X in several ways.

The Elle is really about packaging, volume, and terrific visibility, the Elle has a super high H-point and massive visibility. We have the panoramic sunroof and the combination of the Elle's natural visibility with the P'roof give the car a unique and very cool interior expansiveness.

The interior flexibility of the interior is very practical: front passenger seat fold down for max length cargo, the rear seats slide back and forth for cargo vs. passenger volume flexility, the rear cargo area has a panel that can fit in three locations, the rear seats recline, and lastly the rear seats can either fold for a nearly flat floor (with the cargo panel) or can flip and fold forward for a taller rear volume.

The Elle has a host of small thoughtful features that make the car fun to use: capless fuelling, headlight delay settings (marketed as Follow Me Home, it activates the dipped beams and sidelights. The driver operates the light flasher stalk within two minutes of switching off the engine. Each time the stalk is operated, light activation is extended by 30 seconds up to a maximum of three-and-a-half minutes), two glove boxes up front, a really nice Uconnect system (we love bluetoothing podcasts on a trip), a very good sound system with the Beats option, chair-like seating (great for lower back health) and all the aforementioned cargo flexibility.

2015 Elle's used a true automatic transmission by Aisan on all trim levels above Pop, and 2016 onward only used the Aisan automatic = customer satisfaction!

The X is good looking and has its own advantages -- more in the all-wheel-drive aspect and less so in the 'packaging, cargo, visibility' realm.

Loaded up for a bike trip:

ManOfStealth
10-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Just got out of a 500X loaner after dropping off a 6sp 500L for service. I liked the looks of the X but it felt way small inside and the rear seats had no room at all. Small children might be comfortable but that is it. The 2.4L 9 speed auto was not friendly as it was trying to find the right spot.

Fast forward on this story as I ended up buying a new 2015 500L (demo) auto trans for my kid. Kiddo can drive a standard but we felt like the auto would keep there mind on the road and not what gear they should or should not be shifting to. Anywho, the 6sp auto was surprisingly good with shifting and using the 1.4L turbo motor.

So if you have a family, the L for sure. Single or kidless, X would work but try the option loaded manual pop X.

Randall