PDA

View Full Version : Stiffer Rear End

xoceantoastx
05-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Im currently driving a 2015 Fiat 500T that's slowly being put together as a heavily stanced car that will be used at car shows. Over the past week I had my new flares installed to accommodate for the wheels I ordered a few months ago that were clearly too large for the factory body. The fitment of the wheels and the flares are perfect and just the way I want it until I can get the 17x11 wheels for the rear.
However, you can clearly see from the images below that the tires sit very close to the fender, especially in the rear. I currently run -5 Degrees of camber in the rear which creates a bit more fitment but not much. I'm currently on a set of the V-Maxx Coilovers from Madness Autoworks and the rear springs are WAY TOO bouncy which makes the rear tire rub on the fender quite a bit. I'm not looking to lift the vehicle anymore since the fitment is specifically what I am looking for (Please keep negative comment away). Any recommendations on a way to eliminate a lot of that bounce I am experiencing in the rear of the car so my pride and joy can be actually driveable? Any recommendations are appreciated. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26720&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26721&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26722&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26723&stc=1

Trunkout
05-13-2017, 09:55 PM
When you're THAT close...
Raise your coilovers literally 2mm.
Raise your tire pressure 2lbs.
Just a thought! I've had to raise a lowered car with washers.
I feel your pain!

Tweak
05-13-2017, 10:03 PM
I have no suggestion but a serious question. I 100% do NOT mean this in a negative way but it is something I have wondered and until now since it is member of the Fiat community/family I just want to ask it.

Why do people make the care more powerful/faster and then change the stance in such a way they cannot (from what I can tell, hence my asking) drive it full out in a more extreme way around corners and such? I mean my car isn't stanced but it is fairly low and although there are faster it is no slouch and there are some roads that are problematic. Your car doesn't look as dramatic as some but I have seen some so "stanced" they hardly have any contact area which means they without question cannot take corners anywhere remotely as quick as I can with a normal full contact patch in play.

I actually think your car is looking great and my question is not as applicable to you specifically but since you're interest seems to lie in this direction I do hope you'll understand and offer some insight.

Thank you and I do hope you'll share more pics once you get it all setup as you intend.

ice445
05-14-2017, 01:42 AM
I have no suggestion but a serious question. I 100% do NOT mean this in a negative way but it is something I have wondered and until now since it is member of the Fiat community/family I just want to ask it.

Why do people make the care more powerful/faster and then change the stance in such a way they cannot (from what I can tell, hence my asking) drive it full out in a more extreme way around corners and such? I mean my car isn't stanced but it is fairly low and although there are faster it is no slouch and there are some roads that are problematic. Your car doesn't look as dramatic as some but I have seen some so "stanced" they hardly have any contact area which means they without question cannot take corners anywhere remotely as quick as I can with a normal full contact patch in play.

I actually think your car is looking great and my question is not as applicable to you specifically but since you're interest seems to lie in this direction I do hope you'll understand and offer some insight.

Thank you and I do hope you'll share more pics once you get it all setup as you intend.It's just one side of car culture. No different than DONKS, or people lifting trucks and putting giant exhausts on them. It's also no different than some people rooting for one sports team and not another. I personally dislike it, but I respect the work that goes into getting it just right.

Tweak
05-14-2017, 01:52 AM
It's just one side of car culture. No different than DONKS, or people lifting trucks and putting giant exhausts on them. It's also no different than some people rooting for one sports team and not another. I personally dislike it, but I respect the work that goes into getting it just right.

Right... but I don't get making a car with little to practically no contact with the ground go faster. Spend money on cosmetics since it can't ever drive as aggressively as the added power would allow.

Just trying to understand that aspect of it. While it isn't for me I think the car above looks great. Once it gets too extreme and the wheels are leaning at extreme angles I begin to dislike the look and my logical meter dings so loud I can't concentrate any longer. :D

Trunkout
05-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Ah hell Tweak. Logic? We drive Abarths! :)

Tweak
05-15-2017, 01:46 AM
Ah hell Tweak. Logic? We drive Abarths! :)

This "stanced" thing extends far beyond Abarth/Fiat.

Locally worse I saw was a 370Z. Less the enormous rear wing and the stanced look that left VERY little tire contacting the ground and a crazy amount of leaning to the wheel it looked amazing.

For me those two aspects alone made me dislike the car so much...but it isn't mine so I guess to each their own.

xoceantoastx
05-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Sorry for the later response about the car!

"Stancing" a car is something some people find interest in just like people who lift trucks, race cars, convert rabbits in to pick-up's, ect. I realize I lose a lot of drivability and performance when a car is angled like this as well as well as always needing to maintain. Its all for cosmetics and car show quality but do have a ton of problem with it but I love the car and never give up on. This is not for everyone, it takes a lot of patience and time to get these kind of cars right as well as learning the "skill" to drive them on the streets since you are always on alert of things like potholes, rubber patches, and every other ****ty Pennsylvania road condition.

But at the end of the day I have an extremely unique vehicle I enjoy getting in to just cruise or take to the next show.. Lots of people ave taken interest in the new look as well as drop a lot of hate but I understand that there are numerous sides to car culture. People will love and hate but at the end of the day, I love this hunk of junk!

xoceantoastx
05-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Either way, I have new springs being made by Swift springs with a spring rate of 115 as well as new Koni Shocks that will be maxed out on dampening to prevent that rear bouncing.

gundam2000
05-18-2017, 09:28 AM
I suggest norcal ss bumpstops for that rear.

Southernroadrunner
05-18-2017, 09:33 AM
I personally like the car.First time I saw a pic was when he put it up on ride of the month.I really like the look but i wouldnt like my car like that.If i was in my younger years id probably go for it because the car is different and his own personal ideas come forward.But for performance driving probably not.Its an outstanding looking car to me IMO.

xoceantoastx
05-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Im probably going to check out new bumpstops but never heard of Norcal SS until today. Ill look to that!

xoceantoastx
05-18-2017, 03:41 PM
however, those bumpstops wont work with a coilover set-up so I have to use the originals.

MountainClimber
07-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Like others have said the stance is cool and will make a badass show car. Unfortunately you have dramatically reduced suspension travel. Not much can be done about the jolts of you have no travel, not sure what your travel is though. As far as bounce goes adding more rebound dampening will control all of the floaty bounce once dialed in properly. Not sure where that leaves you but good info to keep in mind. To me the stance style sure does seem like a compromise. I'm curious to see where you end up with your set up.

Southernroadrunner
07-11-2017, 10:45 PM
I think the car is really neat and his ideas are shown in the finished product.Some want their cars for shows and some want for performance.If hes going to the car show version I think hes certainly going in the right direction with his ideas.I think its a great looking car.

MountainClimber
07-11-2017, 11:32 PM
however, those bumpstops wont work with a coilover set-up so I have to use the originals.

How hard is it to raise the coilovers for daily driving then lower it for shows? Could be a viable solution.

xoceantoastx
07-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Like I've said previously, everyone has their own preference and im a huge fan of customizing cars and having them sit extremely low or close to fenders.

With that said I have been in the works with some brands to put something together. I was working with BC racing on getting a special valve set up to tuck the wheel in more and sit the car even lower with an extremely high spring rate from Swift Springs. I have also been in the works of a newer and quickly growing brand "Scale" and can do a special camber adjustment arm which helps with toe and camber wear. Nothing is finalized but something is being put together shortly which I will have shared on here. The car will be put through a lot of change in the next few months.

boxerbay
07-14-2017, 01:47 PM
you need to move to airbags. at the show - drop it. leave the show raise it.

xoceantoastx
07-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Ive considered bags but the fab work involved is pretty extensive and extremely costly! Management costs about $1500 and the bags cost about $800 if Im doing a coilover bag conversion. Plus installation im a little under $3000 and that is a bit to high of an investment.