PDA

View Full Version : FCA Notified me on a new Recall T19 - Flash PCM Software

Joe's 500L
04-11-2017, 10:54 PM
FCA notified me on a new recall #T19 NHTSA Recall #17V-192 on March 21, 2017. Reprogram the PCM with new software.

Amazingly, it has to do with the exact problem i had, with the car suddenly only idling even when the throttle was depressed to the floor. I have a Studio Appt set for tomorrow, April 12, 2017. I will share, what happens after my 1pm appt is completed. Tho, they found an update out there, when my car was acting up, it fixed my car perfectly. I have had no issues at all. So, i will find out if this recall is in place of the update i had got, just a few months ago. I hope to learn some good info, as to share here.

Joe

islander
04-13-2017, 01:15 PM
There's also a post on this recall over on the other forum site. It includes a link (https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html) where owners can enter their VIN to check whether their vehicles are affected. I went to that page and found my Trekking is subject to the recall. (I have noticed some very infrequent 'pauses' when pressing the accelerator.) Unlike the OP I haven't received any notification from Fiat. But I see in a related article on 'The Car Connection' page (http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1109752_2014-fiat-500l-recalled-over-powertrain-glitch) (quoted in part below) that owners may not be notified till early May:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling nearly 30,000 Fiat 500L vehicles from the 2014 model year. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration explains that some of those cars may suffer from a problem that could prevent them from accelerating in certain situations.

The problem is rooted in the the 500L's powertrain control module. NHTSA reports that the software associated with that module may not be properly calibrated, and as a result, it "could limit the engine to only idle speed and torque even if the accelerator pedal is fully depressed."

The bad news is, if the 500L doesn't properly accelerate, it could increase the chance of a crash. NHTSA says that the issue can occur suddenly, without warning, though FCA notes that it appears to happen when a driver eases off the gas pedal almost entirely--but not quite--then hits the gas again.

The good news is, NHTSA reports that when drivers fully release the gas pedal and press it again, the 500L performs as intended. And FCA says that no injuries or accidents have been linked to the problem to date. The recall affects 25,593 vehicles registered in the U.S. and an additional 4,080 registered in Canada.

Owners of those vehicles will receive recall notices by mail around May 5, 2017. At that time, they'll be able to schedule service with their local Fiat dealers, who will update the powertrain control module software at no charge.

Joe's 500L
04-13-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm back, after having the recall performed "Recall #T19 NHTSA Recall #17V-192 on March 21, 2017. Reprogram the PCM with new software.
Nothing really new to report, it drives and shifts as it should. I was made aware that my rear brake pads will need replaced...having about 30% left, and the front at 60% left. First car i have owned, that needed rear pads before front pads, replaced. I'm going to have the whole brake job completed, at my next oil service in about 2000 more miles. Other than that, I'm at 47,100 miles and it rocks.

I'm completely satisfied with my Fiat 500L, its fun to drive and has been very dependable. The Studio yesterday, tried to get me to trade in, for a new Abarth....I drove one, very nice. I think we are going to get one but, I'm waiting at least 5 more months, so we have good solid ground on payments, with both of our vehicles....then, We may just trade both vehicles in, for a new 500L and a Abarth. We shall see.

Joe

Joe's 500L
04-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Interesting. That's the same link i used to confirm my recall...it showed the one i just got performed, and others from when it was brand new, I'm all caught up now. I also noticed it, on mycarfax.com a site, I have both of our vehicles listed, works well for keeping things up to date. Good luck, on getting yours caught up. I forgot to mention, on my follow up post, that the other update i had got a few months back, had nothing to do with the latest recall, T19. Apparently, it was just a small update, that was only performed on vehicles in for other services like oil changes ect but, it did fix my problem...or i shall say, i never had the "idle only" problem after that update.

There's also a post on this recall over on the other forum site. It includes a link (https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html) where owners can enter their VIN to check whether their vehicles are affected. I went to that page and found my Trekking is subject to the recall. (I have noticed some very infrequent 'pauses' when pressing the accelerator.) Unlike the OP I haven't received any notification from Fiat. But I see in a related article on 'The Car Connection' page (http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1109752_2014-fiat-500l-recalled-over-powertrain-glitch) (quoted in part below) that owners may not be notified till early May:

Fiat500USA
04-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Here is the link to check recalls. It's been posted a few times here: https://www.mopar.com/fiat/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html

ManOfStealth
04-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Got my letter today. I've got to remove my sprint throttle enhancement before I go. Will the recall help with throttle response, or will it still need the sprint mod? Randall

Joe's 500L
04-17-2017, 10:46 PM
I believe it helps......mine is running, shifting and driving better than ever.

Got my letter today. I've got to remove my sprint throttle enhancement before I go. Will the recall help with throttle response, or will it still need the sprint mod? Randall

Providence
04-27-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm at the dealer now getting it done.

islander
05-05-2017, 11:19 AM
I had the recall T19 (Reprogram PCM module) done yesterday. No difference at all noted afterwards. (My only experience with the problems the recall addressed was very infrequent.) So I immediately returned to using the GoPedal which really does make a huge difference for me.