PDA

View Full Version : Dampers for Comfort - Sport Suspension

Ducman69
03-16-2017, 11:16 PM
One of the reasons I actually preferred the Fiat 500T over Abarth, is that roads are horrible where I live. The 500T had a bit more suspension travel and lower spring rate (-40% front, -20% rear), from what I recall, and the smaller 16" wheels with 205/45/16s over the 205/40/17s gave extra 11% sidewall which helps a little.

I'm now at 50K miles on my 2013 500T, and thinking of maintenance. Along with a new battery, cabin filter, etc., I was considering replacing the front and rear dampers.

I believe the 500T is just the "sport suspension" available on non-turbos as well, and am wondering what my best bet is for maintaining ride quality? I see Koni Yellows are a popular option, and adjustable, but certainly pricey.

Is that the best bet, or perhaps wait for some low-mileage Abarth takeoffs, and just reuse my springs, since I'm not in a rush? Thoughts?

aelfwyne
03-17-2017, 12:25 AM
One of the reasons I actually preferred the Fiat 500T over Abarth, is that roads are horrible where I live. The 500T had a bit more suspension travel and lower spring rate (-40% front, -20% rear), from what I recall, and the smaller 16" wheels with 205/45/16s over the 205/40/17s gave extra 11% sidewall which helps a little.

I'm now at 50K miles on my 2013 500T, and thinking of maintenance. Along with a new battery, cabin filter, etc., I was considering replacing the front and rear dampers.

I believe the 500T is just the "sport suspension" available on non-turbos as well, and am wondering what my best bet is for maintaining ride quality? I see Koni Yellows are a popular option, and adjustable, but certainly pricey.

Is that the best bet, or perhaps wait for some low-mileage Abarth takeoffs, and just reuse my springs, since I'm not in a rush? Thoughts?

The Koni Yellows are definitely better for ride quality than the stock Abarth shocks. Plus they can be adjusted to soft or hard as desired.