PDA

View Full Version : Greensboro autoX questions

born2ill
03-14-2017, 08:06 AM
OK so I might do my first autocross this weekend with the abarth. The registration info states that mufflers are required and a 95db limit will be enforced.

Our cars dont come with mufflers, can I still run?
Is a stock exhaust with a highflow cat and phase 2 louder than 95db?

Thanks Is for the help.

Robert Nixon
03-14-2017, 08:35 AM
You are OK with no muffler, because the car comes stock that way.

I doubt you'll be anywhere near 95db, my stock Abarth has no problem.

At events where I've run the machine, it is rare for anyone to get that high. 95-100 db is incredibly loud, think of a massive V8 with no muffler, or a screaming all out crazy person driving.

born2ill
03-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll probably go watch this time and ask some questions. I am still trying to figure out the class system and where I fit in. Plus my tires are awful at the moment haha.

Robert Nixon
03-14-2017, 02:38 PM
I'd suggest asking the sponsoring club about classification, or at least just enter in their Novice class, and going ahead and driving the first event. You will want to do it every weekend, it's that much fun. At a minimum, attend and ask to ride along with someone to get a feel for it. They will have loaner helmets, and there are always drivers that don't mind sharing the experience with a new autoX driver.

For SCCA rules, the stock Abarth is in G Street, and yes, the classing system is very confusing at first. SCCA puts responsibility for classing on the driver, which is tough for a first timer. I entered the wrong class the first event I ran and had to figure it out on my own, so that's why I say just ask them.

abarth&911
03-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Robert, the car was change to HS this year. If you have a tune that will put you up in DSP or SMF.
The stock exhaust is no problem.
If you are in Fayetteville there is an event in Wilmington April 1st.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/kink-at-blackwater-ncr-autox-cfcc-tdt-pad-north-campus-scca-carolina-solo-298753

There is one in Cary April 8
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/thscc-points-2-autocross-cary-towne-center-tarheel-sports-car-club-206752

One in Garysburg April 30
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/april-autocross-nccar-tidewater-sports-car-club-461704

I am planning to do these event, Robert will most likely do, I suppose, the one April 30.

PS. I don’t have the Abarth anymore, I traded it in for a GTI last year.

born2ill
03-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Robert, the car was change to HS this year. If you have a tune that will put you up in DSP or SMF.
The stock exhaust is no problem.
If you are in Fayetteville there is an event in Wilmington April 1st.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/kink-at-blackwater-ncr-autox-cfcc-tdt-pad-north-campus-scca-carolina-solo-298753

There is one in Cary April 8
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/thscc-points-2-autocross-cary-towne-center-tarheel-sports-car-club-206752

One in Garysburg April 30
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/april-autocross-nccar-tidewater-sports-car-club-461704

I am planning to do these event, Robert will most likely do, I suppose, the one April 30.

PS. I don’t have the Abarth anymore, I traded it in for a GTI last year.
It's supposed to rain all morning Saturday so probably won't make the Greensboro one and will be gone until April 6 so might try and make the Cary one.

I'm running E+D phase 2 with all supporting mods pretty much, some suspension work and exterior work so finding my class is confusing me with the wording of the documents they have on it.

abarth&911
03-16-2017, 01:03 PM
The event in Greensboro is actually Sunday, weather look ok for Sunday.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/tscc-points-event-1-gso-park-n-ride-greensboro-coliseum-triad-sports-car-club-864205

With the mod. you listed look like SMF will be a good classes, it allowed a lots of mod.
So register in Novice, classes SMF.

MozzaFiato!
03-16-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/tscc-points-event-1-gso-park-n-ride-greensboro-coliseum-triad-sports-car-club-864205

I'll probably head out there to watch if you change your mind. I might give it a try if another Abarth is there. I'm going to this event just for Fiats & Alfas for sure:

Meetup Group: Alfa Romeo (MAARC) Fiat Group (FCA) Carolina site http://meetu.ps/2ZpgQV
Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:00 AM Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum Winston Salem

born2ill
03-16-2017, 05:53 PM

With the mod. you listed look like SMF will be a good classes, it allowed a lots of mod.
So register in Novice, classes SMF.

Thanks for catching that, must have looked at the calendar wrong. Then i will be there and trying it out for sure! Can't wait, This is what ive been wanting to do for a while now.

born2ill
03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
I'll probably head out there to watch if you change your mind. I might give it a try if another Abarth is there. I'm going to this event just for Fiats & Alfas for sure:

Meetup Group: Alfa Romeo (MAARC) Fiat Group (FCA) Carolina site http://meetu.ps/2ZpgQV
Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:00 AM Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum Winston Salem

I am for sure going, will probably register tonight.

Never knew about that other meet. I'll have to put that on my calendar! Hope to see you there.

MozzaFiato!
03-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I am for sure going, will probably register tonight.

Never knew about that other meet. I'll have to put that on my calendar! Hope to see you there.

I'll see you Sunday. Try and get Tweak to ride up too!

Tweak
03-17-2017, 12:12 AM

He mentioned it to me last Saturday but I have not felt well as of late. Last weekend when he and I were able to catch up I felt so bad I had to leave early.

Greensboro puts on a good show and most likely they have sponsored drivers out doing a little exhibition driving at some point (if they do like they did many years ago).

Sundays are out for me anyway though, church and I visit and help my 82 yr old grandma on Sunday as she doesn't get around well these days.

I hope to make the trip but feel doubtful about the Dragon trip at the end of the month, going to see what comes of it when the time comes.

Robert Nixon
03-17-2017, 05:57 AM
abarth&911,
thanks for correcting me on the Abarth now in HS. My last blog post was about changing my autocross magnets to HS and I forgot!

The April 30th autocross at North Carolina Center for Automotive Research will be really fun, I'd recommend it to anyone that can make it. That's sponsored by the Tidewater Sports Car Club that I compete with, but for that one event I will probably miss it this year. I'm having a retirement from the Army party that weekend, so will have lots of relatives visiting from out of town.

MozzaFiato!
03-17-2017, 09:06 AM
He mentioned it to me last Saturday but I have not felt well as of late. Last weekend when he and I were able to catch up I felt so bad I had to leave early.

Greensboro puts on a good show and most likely they have sponsored drivers out doing a little exhibition driving at some point (if they do like they did many years ago).

Sundays are out for me anyway though, church and I visit and help my 82 yr old grandma on Sunday as she doesn't get around well these days.

I hope to make the trip but feel doubtful about the Dragon trip at the end of the month, going to see what comes of it when the time comes.

I hope & pray you feel better soon James.

born2ill
03-19-2017, 02:05 AM

sadly there is a very good chance i cant make it. We lost a pair of NVGs at work so we are getting called in over the weekend until we find them. YAY ARMY! if you go have fun and good luck.

Robert Nixon
03-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh man, that's no fun at all! If I find any extra around here I'll send them to you!

Tweak
03-26-2017, 08:08 PM
I hope & pray you feel better soon James.

Thank you so much, went back into the hospital for about a week so another $60K helicopter ride yay! Insurance probably loves me right now. $120K in a few months just for helicopter rides...lol.

Thanks again. I am feeling much better this weekend than the last few and hope it continues so I can try to make it out to FOTD this coming weekend.

MozzaFiato!
03-26-2017, 11:30 PM
Thank you so much, went back into the hospital for about a week so another $60K helicopter ride yay! Insurance probably loves me right now. $120K in a few months just for helicopter rides...lol.

Thanks again. I am feeling much better this weekend than the last few and hope it continues so I can try to make it out to FOTD this coming weekend.

Glad you're feeling better! LMK if you're heading out Thursday and I'll try to follow you there!

Tweak
03-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Glad you're feeling better! LMK if you're heading out Thursday and I'll try to follow you there!

Thank you!

I have been asking for an early dialysis chair for Thursday so I can get in a treatment since I'll miss Friday but as of now not looking good. If they can't find a spot and if I feel well then it is my hope to get started probably around 10ish or so Thursday morning.

It'd be great if we can meet and ride up together. I'll try to get in touch when I know specifics.

Feel free to msg me and we can text/call as needed.

MozzaFiato!
03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Thank you!

I have been asking for an early dialysis chair for Thursday so I can get in a treatment since I'll miss Friday but as of now not looking good. If they can't find a spot and if I feel well then it is my hope to get started probably around 10ish or so Thursday morning.

It'd be great if we can meet and ride up together. I'll try to get in touch when I know specifics.

Feel free to msg me and we can text/call as needed.

Hey James, I'll text you Wed night to see how you're feeling. Anytime Thursday is good for me. Anyone else heading from the east should join us too. I know Asheville is a hub for several attending.

Tweak
03-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Hey James, I'll text you Wed night to see how you're feeling. Anytime Thursday is good for me. Anyone else heading from the east should join us too. I know Asheville is a hub for several attending.

I know of at least 2 others so maybe something works out with them as well. I assume you have my # already from prior communications.

Hilary and Southernroadrunner are both in NC and going.

MozzaFiato!
03-29-2017, 12:37 AM
I know of at least 2 others so maybe something works out with them as well. I assume you have my # already from prior communications.

Yep, got it! Tell them to meet up with us! :onthego:

Southernroadrunner
03-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Tweak. Not quite in NC for me. I'm a little southwest of that sir!!