PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting - A few questions...

SVAGO 1
03-08-2017, 09:22 PM
So, I want to tint my windows. I was thinking of doing the work myself, then I thought I would at least get a few quotes before making that decision.

One shop wanted $375 and another wanted $325. Both seem outrageously expensive to me... After all it is a SMALL car with relatively flat windows. I would have expected $175-$225.

One guy said he won't do Fiat 500s because the back windows are lexan. Is there any truth to that? And if so, how does that affect tinting the windows? The other two shops didn't say anything about lexan windows.

So, of course now I am thinking again of doing the work myself. I have done window tinting before, but that was in the mid-80s. So, if you have done your own window tinting, what brand of window tint did you use? Love it? Like it? Or Meh? Anything to beware of? Can the back window be done in one or two pieces, or should I use the "strip method"?

Thanks Guys and Gals

Joe's 500L
03-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I can only talk about the 500L, because it is the model I personally own. The only problem in tinting on the 500L is, the backside quarter glass, it is plastic.....I had my windows professionally done, they would not touch the quarter back side glass, other than offering to put vinyl on the outside, which I passed on. I got a can of lense tint, from Home Depot, and did them myself to the inside.....looks fine. It will cost different prices, depending where you go, and what area you live in. Here where I live, St. Louis, MO area...it's typically $300 a car, or $350 for an SUV, using top of the line, lifetime warranty tint and the labor as well. Mine were priced very well, because the place also does stereo systems, and I have spent thousands with them, over the years on that equipment.

Good luck!

aelfwyne
03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
So, I want to tint my windows. I was thinking of doing the work myself, then I thought I would at least get a few quotes before making that decision.

One shop wanted $375 and another wanted $325. Both seem outrageously expensive to me... After all it is a SMALL car with relatively flat windows. I would have expected $175-$225.

One guy said he won't do Fiat 500s because the back windows are lexan. Is there any truth to that? And if so, how does that affect tinting the windows? The other two shops didn't say anything about lexan windows.

So, of course now I am thinking again of doing the work myself. I have done window tinting before, but that was in the mid-80s. So, if you have done your own window tinting, what brand of window tint did you use? Love it? Like it? Or Meh? Anything to beware of? Can the back window be done in one or two pieces, or should I use the "strip method"?

Thanks Guys and Gals

1) The 500L is the one with plastic back windows. 500 has glass all around and that guy is an idiot. On the L, it does affect it because tint won't stick right. But again, not an issue on the 500 he's wrong.

2) I got mine tinted with metallic tint, quite dark, and it cost me $200 even. I think it's 3M but I don't remember. No issues at all. I live in Texas, btw.

Joe's 500L
03-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Who are you calling an idiot? I certainly hope not me. I said in my post, at the start that I can ONLY talk about the 500 L, because that is what I personally own.

I really hope, you re-read my post, and not calling me an idiot.

1) The 500L is the one with plastic back windows. 500 has glass all around and that guy is an idiot. On the L, it does affect it because tint won't stick right. But again, not an issue on the 500 he's wrong.

2) I got mine tinted with metallic tint, quite dark, and it cost me $200 even. I think it's 3M but I don't remember. No issues at all. I live in Texas, btw.

aelfwyne
03-09-2017, 12:40 AM
Who are you calling an idiot? I certainly hope not me. I said in my post, at the start that I can ONLY talk about the 500 L, because that is what I personally own.

I really hope, you re-read my post, and not calling me an idiot.

Not calling you an idiot! Referring to whatever wannabe tint installer who couldn't tell the difference between a 500 and a 500L.

Joe's 500L
03-09-2017, 12:43 AM
I apologize, wasn't sure who you were referring to. LOL! Sorry, bud. :)

Not calling you an idiot! Referring to whatever wannabe tint installer who couldn't tell the difference between a 500 and a 500L.

Fiat500USA
03-09-2017, 01:03 AM
An interesting bit of trivia about the 500L is that it is the first series production car to use a polycarbonate window.

SVAGO 1
03-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Thanks! I tapped on the windows with my key and they both felt and sounded like glass, but confirmation is a wonderful thing!

An interesting bit of trivia about the 500L is that it is the first series production car to use a polycarbonate window.
This is an interesting tid-bit of information.

Sinabu
03-09-2017, 11:13 AM
I paid $160 to tint mine, 500c abarth

SVAGO 1
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
After some research, I decided to tint my own windows. As I said earlier, I did it back in the mid 80s and I did a very good job. In fact, I was asked a few times where I got mine done.

So, yesterday I ordered tint for my windows and a professional applicator kit (complete with heat gun) for less than $50. So the very first mod is going to be to tint the windows.

abarthdude
03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Would be cool if you documented the process here. I've always wanted to try but have a great tint guy whose been doing it for 25+ years and works cheap so I have not bothered.

SVAGO 1
03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Would be cool if you documented the process here. I've always wanted to try but have a great tint guy whose been doing it for 25+ years and works cheap so I have not bothered.

I will do that.

Mokie
03-10-2017, 08:33 PM
I got mine done two weekends ago. I got three quotes, one was 224, one was a sale price at 180, and i settled on a third quote of 160. All three places had good feedback on Yelp. If I tried to do it myself, I would muck it up big time, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. LOL

SVAGO 1
03-11-2017, 08:24 PM
I got mine done two weekends ago. I got three quotes, one was 224, one was a sale price at 180, and i settled on a third quote of 160. All three places had good feedback on Yelp. If I tried to do it myself, I would muck it up big time, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. LOL

I might muck mine up, but if I do, I pull it off, and I'm out $26 for the film, and I start saving to pay someone else. I wish I could find someone to do it for less than $200. I would pay that to have someone experienced do it.

Tweak
03-11-2017, 11:13 PM
I feel lucky local guys (2) charge no more than $150 BUT I did the Abarth with 35% (legal limit) all around but then added the front top strip for the windshield which goes below the ASI line and I had him do the entire from windshield in 50% as well. Looking out it is fine but it does make it darker as a whole looking in and due to the tint I had some friends looking at my car that didn't realize I was actually IN the car at the time. :D

Static cling style tint is about $12 bucks at WalMart and would work for the 500L with the Free Glass or "plastic" windows on the sides.

Easy to create a template, reusable, cheap...all around winning option. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Expressions-Insta-Cling-Window-Tint-Extra-Dark-5/16672493