PDA

View Full Version : Another CEL question vs OBD II scanner

oldkid6
02-16-2017, 08:19 PM
I got a new CE light come on today and I have two OBD II readers and neither of them will read or erase the code. One of the scanners is cheap and the other one is moderately priced and I thought was more "sophisticated" for lack of a better term and have more support for a car like Fiat, neither of them can even read the VIN code, I'm guessing this has to do with the lack of support on Fiat's end since it's such a niche market, there's no software compatible to read these engine codes.

Do any of you run into this problem and is there a known OBD II scanner that works or supports Fiat? I thought all OBD II cars were universal but I cannot even get mine to retrieve the VIN.

I already tried the new bluetooth KIWI scanner, and that too would work to an extent but it would not support the Fiat overall, so I returned it.

aelfwyne
02-16-2017, 08:33 PM
If you have a pending or historic code (not presently active) some scanners / software don't read these codes.

For example, I use a Bluetooth OBD device. Torque Pro app does not show pending/historic codes sometimes. But AlfaOBD does. So to view codes sometimes, I have to use AlfaOBD (which is a little clunkier, but much more powerful)...

And yes there is compatible software. AlfaOBD on Android works perfectly with bluetooth scanners. As does MultiECUScan if you're using a PC.

oldkid6
02-17-2017, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=aelfwyne;795284]If you have a pending or historic code (not presently active) some scanners / software don't read these codes.

For example, I use a Bluetooth OBD device. Torque Pro app does not show pending/historic codes sometimes. But AlfaOBD does. So to view codes sometimes, I have to use AlfaOBD (which is a little clunkier, but much more powerful)...

So I get in the car today, push the start button (advanced key upgrade) , start the car and as luck would have it no CEL. The CEL came on a failed start attempt via the push button, so whatever misfire or code that it threw must have corrected itself on the next cycle?

But in the meantime, I bought one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Diagnostic-Check-Engine-Light/dp/B004IV58AY

I found this website that listed scanners that were compliant with Fiats, and this was the cheapest one they had, and will hopefully work when needed in the future. I'm going to test it and see if it can at least read the VIN, if it can't then I'll probably just return it.

Love the Fiats!