PDA

View Full Version : Actuator Hose Issue

WileyCoyote
02-15-2017, 12:36 AM
I went to change my oil and when I opened the hood the hose leading the actuator looked as pictured below. Further inspection showed the other section has the same damage. It looks like something sharp cut the hoses up or they cracked with the recent cold temperatures. I have had my car secured in my possession (except once when I valeted it in January). I didn't slice them up and I find it weird that only the tops would crack. I'm not interest in spending the $172 dollars Fiat parts online has it for. Anyone have any ideas as to what type of hose I could use for replacement?

WileyCoyote
02-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Also pay no attention to the cable tie holding the make up line in place.

DeSoulo
02-15-2017, 01:34 AM
I wonder if those are teeth marks? Had a coworker have his work van develop a loud hiss one morning; Rat chewed on the power brake vacuum hose?

msjulie33
02-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Once upon a time we had mice in engine compartment, that's the first thing that reminded me off - little mouse chewing marks. Sorry don't know what to replace it with..

DeSoulo
02-15-2017, 01:52 AM
Drat those rats and meices to pieces! Perhaps some high pressure fuel injection-type hose would work.
What does it actuate....glorified vacuum hose?

WileyCoyote
02-15-2017, 02:09 AM
MIND BLOWN!!! I've never thought of that. I do park outside on my drive way. My only reservation with that is its super high up in the engine bay but there would be adequate space and footing. Now I'm going to have to do an inspection of all my lines to make sure I don't have a stowaway eating through my car.

Not it sure if your question about its actuating purpose is real or not but it hooks up to the wastegate actuator.

msjulie33
02-15-2017, 10:09 AM
MIND BLOWN!!! I've never thought of that. I do park outside on my drive way.

Back in Mass, we had a Jeep parked in a garage and in the cold months the little brat finks chewed through the shift boot and got into the heater core and made their nests etc. Never underestimate the persistence of a little furry thing looking for a warm place and/or bits to make a nest from. We got a cat! :)

Grabo
02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Squirrel. Had one leave the same teeth marks on my LP hose from the tank to the outdoor grill. Solved it wrapping the line with plastic "split loom tubing" from Pep Boys.

Joe's 500L
02-16-2017, 03:03 AM
When I looked at the photos, first thing that ran across my mind was an animal chewing them up....because they do not look weathered at all. If you pull the lines off, I'm sure one of the better parts stores would have some line close enough to use, for replacement. Personally, if is was me....I would just order new lines, and set rat traps..but that's just me. Good luck.

bryanintowson
02-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Yeap. Those look like teeth marks. Check rockauto or moparonlineparts before going to the parts desk at your local studio. I'm also a fan of Napa.

WileyCoyote
02-16-2017, 12:09 PM
The rat poison has been set in the two places I found some chewing (the battery wrapping had some evidence). Now I have to just remember to take them out every morning before leaving. I'd love to buy the exact replacement part however on FiatPartsWebstore it's listed for $172. It's listed so high because it's sold as a whole unit with the third piece of hose and the solenoid. That's a little too steep for my blood for the pieces of none specific (meaning the type of hose can be found elsewhere and the bends in it aren't that crucial) hosing. I'm a fan of Napa too and I live near enough to a distribution center that always has everything. Only issue is the hoses are not the easiest to remove and it's my only daily driver so I'd have to borrow the wife's car.

streetsurfer
02-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Check your air cleaner assembly. They make nice apartments. Here is a screen I made to keep them out of there, after finding the foam silencer/prefilter and some loom wrap material gnawed on.