PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs from Madness...$175!

rjlong
12-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Madness has their 500e lowering springs on sale now for $175! I haven't taken delivery of my "e" yet, but that's too good a deal to pass up. It'll fix the one thing I don't like about the look of the car.

lbowroom
01-05-2017, 01:53 PM
I had the Madness springs installed and they were a mess. Yes, they brought the car to a good height but the OEM shocks are too tall and don't have enough damping. The struts creaked and groaned and if you loaded the back it would launch and bounce over whoops. They pointed to the strut hats as the culprit of the creaking but that didn't turn out to be true. I swapped out the springs for Bilstein coil-overs and all the issues were solved. The car is low enough now to cause some problems over speed bumps so I swapped the tires out for Direzza 205/55-15's to give a little more ride height and fender fill. I was going to sell my spring but I won't pass the headache on to someone else. The labor costs of all the attempted trouble shooting and swapping was disappointing. Can't post pics from work but I'll post one up here from home when I get a chance.

rjlong
01-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Installed the springs today, and I'm really happy with the outcome. The 4" gap between tread and wheel arch is all but gone. I think the car is even more smooth than before. I didn't get any of the odd noises mentioned above. I used Energy Suspension 9.9103R bump stops and stock everything else. The entire project took 3 hours with a p.o.s. floor jack and stands. With all four corners done, I couldn't get the jack out from under the car, so I had to put a couple pieces of wood under the rear tires before I lowered the jack.

lbowroom
01-12-2017, 07:47 PM
maybe I had a defective set. Glad they are working out for you.

Southernroadrunner
01-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Installed the springs today, and I'm really happy with the outcome. The 4" gap between tread and wheel arch is all but gone. I think the car is even more smooth than before. I didn't get any of the odd noises mentioned above. I used Energy Suspension 9.9103R bump stops and stock everything else. The entire project took 3 hours with a p.o.s. floor jack and stands. With all four corners done, I couldn't get the jack out from under the car, so I had to put a couple pieces of wood under the rear tires before I lowered the jack.

Have u got any before and after pics.

rjlong
01-13-2017, 10:14 AM

I'll get some after pics today, but here are the before:25025250262502725028

rjlong
01-13-2017, 03:36 PM

After...at Walgreens catching a quick charge.

Southernroadrunner
01-13-2017, 03:38 PM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25034&stc=1

After...at Walgreens catching a quick charge.

Looks really good!!

lbowroom
01-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Bilstein coilovers and 205/55-15 Dunlop Direzza's

charrigan
01-15-2017, 11:49 PM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25069&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25070&stc=1http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25071&stc=1

Looks great. how does it ride? Is it bouncy? The low rear spring rates on the coilovers make me nervous.

rjlong
01-16-2017, 11:55 PM

That looks nice! Do you have any rub with that setup?

I have noticed a bit more bounce in the rear on the Madness springs since I've driven on them for a week now. I planned on putting Koni's on eventually anyway, so I think that will cure the rebound. I haven't had any problems with the speed bumps in my neighborhood with the stock tire size.

lbowroom
01-20-2017, 01:42 PM
That looks nice! Do you have any rub with that setup?

I have noticed a bit more bounce in the rear on the Madness springs since I've driven on them for a week now. I planned on putting Koni's on eventually anyway, so I think that will cure the rebound. I haven't had any problems with the speed bumps in my neighborhood with the stock tire size.

With a big bump with passengers in the back, I do hear a tire touch the liner in the back at full compression. Not a big issue. No rub in the front. Koni's will likely cure the bounce, just that for the price of the koni's and springs and 2 times the installation you end up at a higher price point than coil-overs to begin with. I know you're doing your own labor, but that's still time out of your day. You haven't had any creaking up front?

lbowroom
01-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Looks great. how does it ride? Is it bouncy? The low rear spring rates on the coilovers make me nervous.

It's not bouncy. it's done in less than an oscillation. As you point out, the spring rate, although progressive in the rear, isn't quite enough. Makes sense as it's not meant for the extra weight of the e. Alone in the car is really good, but with passengers in the rear it does bottom out on bigger road imperfections. On moderate roads it rides very smooth and solid much like a german Sport tuned suspension. It loses a bit of composure on large undulations, like a poorly done asphalt to concrete transition on the highway at 70mph. The rear springs run out of travel. With the Madness springs only, it would bounce me into the headliner, with the coilovers, I get an impact but damped in less that a cycle. The Bilsteins are meant to drop an Abarth by 30-50mm so the relative drop from the stock e height is massive. We ended up maxing the height of the rear and matching the front to it. Lower than I wanted, but tolerable clearance with the bigger tires. Perhaps Bilstein will release an e version with more spring rate in the back.

lbowroom
01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Side note on the bigger tires. With the larger rolling diameter, the speedo should be off by about 3%. I never checked it before installing the new tires. I downloaded a GPS speed tracker on my phone and the speedo is absolutely dead on. So either the car has some active speed calibration that can compensate for variable tire size or the stock calibration is off. Too bad I didn't check it before hand.

charrigan
01-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Perhaps Bilstein will release an e version with more spring rate in the back.

I have reached out to every coilover manufacturer and they all have no interest in offering a 500e specific coilover.

rkw
01-21-2017, 02:17 AM
I have reached out to every coilover manufacturer and they all have no interest in offering a 500e specific coilover.
The market is way too small for a manufacturer. In its lifetime, a total of about 19,000 500e have been sold/leased (http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/). Currently about 15,000 of those are still under lease – you can virtually eliminate all of them from the aftermarket modding world. That leaves about 4,000 total 500e that are currently open to modding. Now consider, say, the sporty hatchback category and what proportion of cars have been modded with coilovers. I think 0.1% is being very generous. So, a total sales projection of even a dozen 500e coilovers might be overly optimistic. This is in the realm of one-off custom built suspensions, not for a production run by a manufacturer.

lbowroom
01-23-2017, 01:23 PM
So that people don't get the wrong impression, the Bilsteins work very well in my car, far better than the spring kit I tried. The weight of the e is approximately what an Abarth would be with 2 full size adults in the back. So when you actually put 2 people in the back, it's not quite enough when hitting larger road imperfections, that's all. I'm under lease, so when the lease is up I will put the stock suspension and tires back on and turn it in. I never felt the lease precludes me from being a modding enthusiast.

rjlong
01-25-2017, 09:47 PM
So that people don't get the wrong impression, the Bilsteins work very well in my car, far better than the spring kit I tried. The weight of the e is approximately what an Abarth would be with 2 full size adults in the back. So when you actually put 2 people in the back, it's not quite enough when hitting larger road imperfections, that's all. I'm under lease, so when the lease is up I will put the stock suspension and tires back on and turn it in. I never felt the lease precludes me from being a modding enthusiast.

Will you be selling the Bilsteins, or getting another Fiat?

Iamdecay
02-08-2017, 12:34 AM
I got to ride in lbowroom's 500e and the ride is just like he said, "european sports tuned". I am very tempted to getting those coilovers as well. We shall see ;)

lbowroom
02-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Will you be selling the Bilsteins, or getting another Fiat?

Most likely selling the Bilsteins as I'll likely have a Tesla 3 next. Are you calling dibs?

rjlong
02-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Most likely selling the Bilsteins as I'll likely have a Tesla 3 next. Are you calling dibs?

DIBS! I'm a little jealous of the Model 3. I have to settle for Tesla stock for now (which is kicking *$$!). Let me know when your lease is up. I'll probably have a second 500e by the time the 3 comes out. I love this car. With lowering and a bit of weight loss (nearly 120 lbs), I'm seeing consistent range well over 100 miles.

dtam
02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Hi I've just bought a 2014 500e so forgive my ignorance. Would it be possible to use the Bilsteins and then use a cut rear stock springs? It sounds like most of the lowering issue is from the rear spring rate.

06z
04-20-2017, 11:48 PM

Which Bilstien kit? The B14 PSS North American kit or the B16PSS10 expensive kit?

charrigan
04-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi I've just bought a 2014 500e so forgive my ignorance. Would it be possible to use the Bilsteins and then use a cut rear stock springs? It sounds like most of the lowering issue is from the rear spring rate.

You would be better off buying the bilsteins and purchasing swift springs with the correct spring rate instead of cutting the stock springs. OR pick up the BC coilovers which do have a proper spring rate for the 500e

lbowroom
05-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Which Bilstien kit? The B14 PSS North American kit or the B16PSS10 expensive kit?

The B14 North American Kit. I've since ended my suspension experiment. I've gone back to stock. Just too low for me, tired of sweating every speed bump. If I hadn't have given away my madness springs, I would have tried swapping the rear springs in and matching the front height of the coil overs to them. That may have been a good solution. I haven't tried to sell my coil-overs yet.

Challenger
07-02-2017, 09:22 PM
I have two questions concerning your changes to your 500e. What difference did the 205 tires make, any changes to rolling resistance, economy? And what difference did the coils and tire changes make to the overall height of the car? The 500e is tall anyway, so I wouldn't mind if it was two to three inches lower in height.

lbowroom
07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
I have two questions concerning your changes to your 500e. What difference did the 205 tires make, any changes to rolling resistance, economy? And what difference did the coils and tire changes make to the overall height of the car? The 500e is tall anyway, so I wouldn't mind if it was two to three inches lower in height.

I didn't notice any real changes in economy. The predicted range dipped but the actual didn't really. Look at pictures on page one of this thread to see the ride height. Big drop. Looked great but scraped on speed bumps all over the place, that's why I gave it up. Anyone wanting to dive in, pm me and I'll make you a fair deal.