PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Abarth Automatic - Quest for better MPG cause this is bad

Lento13
11-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,

1st of all I came from a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop with Firehawk GT tires and can do 40+ mpg highway and on a WORST DAY pull 26mpg for City

Over a couple weeks ago I decided to upgrade to a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic. I bought it used with 13,000 miles with the 17" wheels and Pzeros. Granted when I bought the car, I knew it was gonna be significantly lower than the manual, but what I did NOT expect was how far off it is from the estimated MPG of 24city / 32 highway.

This was my mileage today with 70% city driving / 30% highway. NO sport button as well.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24503&stc=1

I went on a 1000 mile road trip from SoCal to Sedona last week and the BEST highway mileage i've gotten was 27mpg. I'm almost convinced something is wrong here.

This week or next week I will be getting an oil change preferably the 0w40 and switch to NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

Also, thinking of getting all season tires comparable to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 that came with the 16" Abarth wheels.

I don't mind getting 20-22 for city driving but this is just ridiculous. My main toy car is a BMW M3 and while i was looking for a fun commuter 24 / 32 mpg sold me to get an Abarth Auto but 17mpg is a little ridiculous.

Fiat500USA
11-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. Gas mileage in a city is really tough to get and compare because of all the variables like stop signs/lights and traffic. Highway is a little easier. I would say first make sure the tires are inflated correctly and they are not worn uneven. If the alignment is off that can negatively impact fuel economy. Tire pressure is also a very big deal.

Fuel economy is also heavily dependent on driving technique. Maybe try shifting the car manually to see if you can beat the electronics. In my experience, the Abarth likes to be shifted around 2100 rpm. Try not to get into the boost to heavily. Get into the highest gear you can without lugging the engine or getting too high a boost. I do a rural 15 mile or so commute with maybe 12 stop signs/lights. I average about 28 mph and get 34 mpg (calculated at the pump). My average cruising rpm is below 2000 rpm when under little load. Granted, that's a manual, but you have 1 more gear so that helps.

When I had a 500L with the 6 speed auto, I was able to get better gas mileage shifting myself. I do have a knack getting good gas mileage out of my cars though. I had the highest gas mileage on Fuelly for a 2012 last I checked. Try those techniques listed above and see it it makes a difference. Also, to be accurate, calculate the fuel economy manually by recording fill ups at the pump. Try to use the same pump, at the same time of day and stop filling when the pump clicks off the first time. Let us know how you make out.

Robert Nixon
11-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'd expect to get more mileage also.

From your photo, are you saying your 1,000 mile trip averaged the speed of 29mph? That doesn't sound right.

Wahoox626
11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
I have the 2015 Abarth with the exact same set up. With the PZero I was getting 20-24 mpg in heavy NYC traffic. I have since changed my tires to 205 45 17 because of all the potholes here and was getting 17-19 mpg (with sports mode on for about 75% of the time). The door recommended cold tire pressure is 38 front and 32 rear. I increased the tire pressure by 5 psi all around and now I'm getting 20-23 mpg. Still not the advertised mpg the car should be getting but it's an improvement. Now I'm searching around for anyway to get more mpg out of this guy.

Lento13
11-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. The pic of the cluster was a bad representation given that was a lot of city driving. But it's just crazy I can even pull that down to 16mpg if I drive it hard WITHOUT sport mode on. Also 27mpg highway isn't that great IMO for this car.

I was thinking of switching to all season hankook Ventus concept v2 for a lower rolling resistance tire too. It's a weird thing to say but as grippy as i enjoy the Pzero I can get something with better MPG and less road noise as this more of a city driver car.

Wahoox626
11-29-2016, 05:16 PM
A lot of drivers reporting getting around 17-20 mpg for their auto Abarths. So don't feel like your car isn't performing. There is something definitely up with the automatic transmission version. If a bunch of us complain to Fiat/Chrysler about it then maybe they will take a closer look at it.

Southernroadrunner
11-29-2016, 05:24 PM
I normally get in the area of 27 to 29 and since I changed intakes it's up 2 or 3 more since my last check. About the same driving habits. So guess I'm gonna get better at least since it's cooled down.

Lento13
11-29-2016, 05:25 PM
No kidding. Too bad we're such a small voice to complain about this. Hopefully this gets addressed.

Lento13
11-29-2016, 05:26 PM
I normally get in the area of 27 to 29 and since I changed intakes it's up 2 or 3 more since my last check. About the same driving habits. So guess I'm gonna get better at least since it's cooled down.

Manual or automatic?

Southernroadrunner
11-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Manual or automatic?

Sir I have an automatic transmission but I never use sport mode hardly and I don't drive it real hard most of the time.

Lento13
11-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Sir I have an automatic transmission but I never use sport mode hardly and I don't drive it real hard most of the time.

That's great. It's crazy how I can't even break 24mpg city even if i keep my revs down all the time. I have to be the car on the road thateverybody pass to do 20mpg city

Southernroadrunner
11-29-2016, 09:29 PM
In the summer heat it does not do but about 27 most of the time but the airs on and I don't really change my driving habits but I run a lot of county blacktops and not much city stop and go driving

Wahoox626
11-29-2016, 10:06 PM
I agree with you! I'm shocked you're getting ~18 mpg with avg speed of 29 mph. I'm getting ~21 mpg with ave speed of 14 mph. Something just doesn't add up! I'll post a pick tmw morning.

Joe 500
11-30-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a 2016 Auto Abarth and with mixed driving (mainly city) I average 32 miles per gallon. Granted, I do not use sport mode much and I am not a lead foot but I find the mileage very good considering the performance of the car

Lento13
11-30-2016, 05:17 PM
I have a 2016 Auto Abarth and with mixed driving (mainly city) I average 32 miles per gallon. Granted, I do not use sport mode much and I am not a lead foot but I find the mileage very good considering the performance of the car

Automatic?

Southernroadrunner
11-30-2016, 06:19 PM
That's great. It's crazy how I can't even break 24mpg city even if i keep my revs down all the time. I have to be the car on the road thateverybody pass to do 20mpg city

For some reason that seems like low mpg. Do you need an air filter change or maybe you need to take it to a dealer and check it out. Plugs maybe.

Lento13
11-30-2016, 06:26 PM
For some reason that seems like low mpg. Do you need an air filter change or maybe you need to take it to a dealer and check it out. Plugs maybe.

Air filter is good. Just ordered NGK lazer iridiums and installing them tomorrow. I'll report back for any improvements.

I only have 14000 miles. I'm crossing my fingers these are premature worn out plugs. Not that it's connected, but when I start the car, for just an almost 2 year old car, it's not "one click" start anymore.

DowneasTTer
11-30-2016, 07:05 PM
My 15 auto carbio has averaged 31.7 over the past 9302 miles. That's here in North Central Florida with about 75% of the time with the top down and a bike rack with two bikes loaded. I do play around around a bit as well. But, I only use high test top tier gas (Shell) and of course no real winter driving and not a lot of AC use (top down most of the time).

Wahoox626
11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
I agree with you! I'm shocked you're getting ~18 mpg with avg speed of 29 mph. I'm getting ~21 mpg with ave speed of 14 mph. Something just doesn't add up! I'll post a pick tmw morning.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24536&stc=1

Sinabu
11-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Something is up for sure,

my 13 abarth cabrio (manual) averages 30 and that is mostly city driving and I drive iwth sport mode on a lot. I run 93 octane as well

Lento13
11-30-2016, 08:29 PM
This is starting to become more of an automatic thing. I've never heard complains on the manuals.

Are most of your calculations based on the trip computer or from manual calculations?

Wahoox626
11-30-2016, 08:53 PM
This is starting to become more of an automatic thing. I've never heard complains on the manuals.

Are most of your calculations based on the trip computer or from manual calculations?

The trip computer calculations and manual calculations by gallons filled/miles driven are pretty much on point. Usually about 1 mpg off plus/minus. What are other people inflating their tire pressure to? My door recommendation is 38 psi front and 32 psi rear. I'm at 43 psi front and 37 psi rear and it helped me like 2-3 mpg.

Fiat500USA
12-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Have you been able to keep an eye on the eco-gauge and where it goes? I would use that, the boost gauge and tachometer to see if you can get some more mileage out of the car.

One of the secrets to fuel economy is getting into the highest gear as soon as possible. Thinking about this thread today, I was keeping an eye on when I shift. I live on a mountain, plus there are lots of hills. I will shift just before 2500 rpm going up the hills and it puts the rpms just under 2000 rpm in the next gear and the car pulls this without a problem. On flat surfaces, I shift at lower rpms. I also use the cruise control a lot and that keeps me from varying my speed needlessly.

Of course, with the auto, it will downshift when it feels it needs to, but that's where shifting manually or overriding the auto controls comes in handy. It can be a lot of fun to best your last fuel fillup, too. There is a lot of things you can do to boost gas mileage. See if any of these help. By the way, you don't have to be the slowest one around either. I accelerate reasonably because I don't want to piss people off, (try to keep the eco gauge in the green) and I do the speed limit or maybe a little more when it is not noticeable to the authorities. I use the Sport button when needed and I average a couple of full boost runs through second and third gear a couple of times a week.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Pixz9F-1kI/WD-vTR4XXnI/AAAAAAAAww4/9WrWsf54oUwKNet5f-UQSL468b65xNdIACPcB/s700/upload_-1

I'm at 37.2 mpg so far this tank.

Sals
12-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Those tires your running trash them today & get your self a set of cooper's all season !
I like to run 40 PSI in the front 35 in the rear..
Tire Rack or discount tire probably has some really good sales going on now !

Amacento
12-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Oh, my.

I've never seen mine below 28.2 and I use my sport button (mostly city driving). It's considerably less than my former 500P garnered, but I knew that going in. Both 500s are manuals. I'm all about more smiles per mile... but I'm concerned with your mpgs.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/mgLEQxgO4Io100vgGSt1bJA/s-l225.jpg

Southernroadrunner
12-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Have you been able to keep an eye on the eco-gauge and where it goes? I would use that, the boost gauge and tachometer to see if you can get some more mileage out of the car.

One of the secrets to fuel economy is getting into the highest gear as soon as possible. Thinking about this thread today, I was keeping an eye on when I shift. I live on a mountain, plus there are lots of hills. I will shift just before 2500 rpm going up the hills and it puts the rpms just under 2000 rpm in the next gear and the car pulls this without a problem. On flat surfaces, I shift at lower rpms. I also use the cruise control a lot and that keeps me from varying my speed needlessly.

Of course, with the auto, it will downshift when it feels it needs to, but that's where shifting manually or overriding the auto controls comes in handy. It can be a lot of fun to best your last fuel fillup, too. There is a lot of things you can do to boost gas mileage. See if any of these help. By the way, you don't have to be the slowest one around either. I accelerate reasonably because I don't want to piss people off, (try to keep the eco gauge in the green) and I do the speed limit or maybe a little more when it is not noticeable to the authorities. I use the Sport button when needed and I average a couple of full boost runs through second and third gear a couple of times a week.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Pixz9F-1kI/WD-vTR4XXnI/AAAAAAAAww4/9WrWsf54oUwKNet5f-UQSL468b65xNdIACPcB/s700/upload_-1

I'm at 37.2 mpg so far this tank.

Liking the boost guage there Boss!!

B3NN3TT
12-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh, my.

I've never seen mine below 28.2 and I use my sport button (mostly city driving).

Same here; I drive mine like I stole it, and it's averaging over 29 MPG. It's unmodified (save for a diverter valve upgrade), on 16" wheels. On bad tanks with nearly all city, it will go as low as 25-26.

Wahoox626
12-02-2016, 09:36 PM
I think its pretty safe to say there is a HUGE DISCREPANCY in mpg between the manual and automatic transmission plthumbsdownplthumbsdownplthumbsdown

Just filled up my tank today and calculated based on miles driven/gallon of gas filled, I got 18 mpg with all city driving and very conservative driving. The dash display calculated 20 mpg. FYI i'm filling octane 93. I don't think I will ever see any better so I'm just gonna resort to driving with sport mode 247 haha

C-ARchitect
12-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Hi everyone,

1st of all I came from a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop with Firehawk GT tires and can do 40+ mpg highway and on a WORST DAY pull 26mpg for City

Over a couple weeks ago I decided to upgrade to a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic. I bought it used with 13,000 miles with the 17" wheels and Pzeros. Granted when I bought the car, I knew it was gonna be significantly lower than the manual, but what I did NOT expect was how far off it is from the estimated MPG of 24city / 32 highway.

This was my mileage today with 70% city driving / 30% highway. NO sport button as well.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24503&stc=1

I went on a 1000 mile road trip from SoCal to Sedona last week and the BEST highway mileage i've gotten was 27mpg. I'm almost convinced something is wrong here.

This week or next week I will be getting an oil change preferably the 0w40 and switch to NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

Also, thinking of getting all season tires comparable to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 that came with the 16" Abarth wheels.

I don't mind getting 20-22 for city driving but this is just ridiculous. My main toy car is a BMW M3 and while i was looking for a fun commuter 24 / 32 mpg sold me to get an Abarth Auto but 17mpg is a little ridiculous.

LOL...Good to know i'm not alone. My main toy car is a BMW M4 and the MPG is roughly the same average (22-23 MPG). Pretty ridiculous considering one has 425 hp and the other 158...I change the oil on the Abarth every 5,000 miles and have done air filter change, spark plug change, using exclusively 93 octane, etc. and the gas mileage is still bad.

And no, I don't drive the Abarth like an A-hole (keep it under 2.5-3k RPMs). That's what the BMW is for ;)

Lento13
12-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Changed the plugs too. Still the same. Oh well. Nothing much I can do about this now.