PDA

View Full Version : Will LED's work on our head-lights/tail-lights?

Iamdecay
11-18-2016, 02:58 AM
Hey guys,

Just installed some 5000k HID on our new 500e. Been doing some reading on the forums. Up next is hopefully to level the car with some madness springs with some new wheels and tires.

In the meantime, I want to upgrade the rest of the lights: DRL, Fog Lights, Brake, Reverse lights, turning as well possibly.

I tried searching, and I think I read that our 500e's don't get along too well with LED bulbs. That possibly the check bulb lights will go off on the dashboard?

Has anyone changed their DRL, or any of the listed bulbs with LED's?

TIA

rkw
11-18-2016, 02:11 PM
You will have to add load resistors to the circuit to simulate the electrical load of standard bulbs, or purchase so-called "canbus" LED bulbs that have a load resistor built-in.

What is your goal? If you were hoping that LED bulbs will be brighter, most will actually be dimmer. The light fixture lenses and reflectors are optimized for standard bulbs. Whatever you do, change the bulbs only on one side first and compare the brightness with the other side. Verify that you can easily see the light in bright daylight. Many aftermarket LED bulbs are dangerously dim.

Iamdecay
11-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks! Yes was looking to (1) change the color to match the shade from the new 5000k on my headlights (2) more light output.

Will definitely see if they will be dimmer than OEM. Thanks!

ChrisPDX
11-21-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm a big fan of LED brake lights. I've converted all my cars, except for my 500e as it's on a lease and will be going away soon. However, you have to be careful and not get cheap ones. I've always had issues with cheap LEDs in tail lights. Interior lighting they are fine, but for tail lights, I spend the money. If you go with ones that have name brand emitters like Samsung or Cree, they should be every bit as bright as the original incandescents. The fact they illuminate about 200ms faster the incandescents is a major safety increase as well! It may not sound like much, but that's over a car length at freeway speeds!

Some tips:
CAN bus compatible for tail lights. I'm not a fan of cutting the wire harness to add load resistors.
Have the LEDs match the color of the lens (don't use white LEDs for brake lights as their brightness is reduced).
Test one side first. As already mentioned, sometimes you can have compatibility issues or just bad lights. Good to compare and make sure they are good before fully converting.

lbowroom
11-21-2016, 08:11 PM
I did the Madness HID upgrade 6000k. Super happy with the results, I can actually see at night now. No dash warnings. I tried replacing the brake,tail lights combination bulbs and the front turn indicators with CANBUS ready LED's. This immediately threw dash warnings and the lights would plain not work at all. Parking lights LEDS on all 4 corners did work as did CANBUS replacements for the fog lights. I also replaced the interior dome lights with success. A note on the fog lights, before I installed the HIDs the fog lights were bright and made a big difference in the near field. The HID"s are so bright though that I can barely see a difference on the road with the fog lights on.

I also had the Madness springs installed, car looks great and my alignment shop was able to dial in .8 degrees of negative camber. My car has a bit of creak from the front struts now and the rebound is a bit bouncy, not enough damping for my taste. If you do the springs, I would recommend also changing to the Koni struts. I may pull them out and do a full coilover. If you are interested in the Madness springs, I can sell them to you.

lbowroom
12-13-2016, 02:14 PM
24648 Ride height with Madness springs

lbowroom
12-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Since we're talking about suspension in this thread too, I'd like to withdraw my offer to sell the springs to anyone. I just can't put someone else through the hassle I went through. I had a set of Bilstein coil-overs installed today and they are so remarkably good that it's made it apparent that just dropping shorter springs into the 500e just does not work. The front creaks and they bounce you to the moon over bigger dips. None of these problems exist with the coil-overs. If you're considering lowering your 500e, do it with the Bilsteins, you'll end of saving hours of hassle and ultimately money by doing it right the first time.

Southernroadrunner
12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
So what's it look like now compared to before with just the springs installed. Some members might like to compare in case their maybe gonna consider doing it to their E model Fiats. Would be interested seeing.

maximizese
01-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Have you had any issues with your HIDs? I'm assuming the projector headlights in the 500e have proper cut-offs and doesn't blind cross-traffic the way a reflective housing headlamp would. I'm about ready to buy a used 500e and lighting and visibility is important to me.

chilicoke
01-30-2017, 04:26 PM
I too am a new 500e owner and after some researched just install this kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJ8JCKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJ8JCKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 5000k 9006
The input wires on this kit (maybe others as well) needs to flipped as it's opposite of the 500e wiring, pretty easy to do with a small flat head screw driver to pull out contacts in the connectors.

The module and all the wiring are small enough to jam into the headlight housing with a little bit of fiddle, no drilling required. It has proper cut out, very nice improvement over stock. I'm very impressed for how little the kit costs.

Iamdecay
02-08-2017, 12:28 AM
I installed the ones from Amazon. Like everyone said, the driver side is a breeze. I ended up disconnecting the window washer fluid tank just to make it easier. There's tons of info on how to do it. I purchased 5000k, and IMO it's a tiny bit more blue than I would like. If I could go back I would order one more in the mid 4200-4300k range.

charrigan
02-08-2017, 09:29 AM
I have 9000lm LED headlights and Fog lights on the way as well as a plug and play solution for LED's to work in the DRL and front turn signals.

Once I install and test ill report back on how well they worked.

500echo
06-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Hi forum! I am interested in led upgrades myself, so far I've only changed out the trunk light. I received but haven't yet installed led bulbs for my marker lights. I am curious to see how your led headlights work out, charrigan. Also, has anyone tried leds in the fender-mounted turn signals?

Trunkout
06-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Nothing but errors. I gave up. Not putting resistors on good wires.

compu_85
06-21-2017, 03:57 PM
I installed LEDs in the side markers of our 2013, and our roomates 2014. In his 14 there were no problems. In our 13 I had to add a small load resistor. I spliced it into the wires on the inside of the car, in the hatch. The resistor only draws ~2 watts, so it doesn't get hot.

-J

500echo
06-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I am also against the resistors, not only for the splicing factor, but also since my main goal is to reduce current draw. Oh well, maybe I'll tackle the dome lights next.

charrigan
06-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Hi forum! I am interested in led upgrades myself, so far I've only changed out the trunk light. I received but haven't yet installed led bulbs for my marker lights. I am curious to see how your led headlights work out, charrigan.

I ended up ditching the plan for led headlights due to the fan size and I didn't want to run the headlights without the dust caps. Running dust caps with high wattage led's will kill the life expectancy of the led due to excessive heat.

This is my setup:
6000k 2900lm/bulb HID headlights
6000k 4500lm/bulb LED fog lights

Factory headlights and fogs have a 5400lm total output. The LED/HID combo I'm running is 14800lm. My daily commute is nearly all back country roads with a lot of wildlife. The added visibility at night was a huge safety improvement.

100% error free and I am not running resistors. Only mod needed is to drill a hole in the dust cap to feed the wires from the bulb to the ballast. The HID ballast had a rubber grommet so water intrusion is a low risk.

500echo
06-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Yeah, every LED headlight conversion I've seen i quite bulky due to the necessary cooling. I just may go the HID route there too. Charrigan, what brand are your HID / LEDs?

charrigan
06-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah, every LED headlight conversion I've seen i quite bulky due to the necessary cooling. I just may go the HID route there too. Charrigan, what brand are your HID / LEDs?

i am running xenondepot "xtreme" hid's and runstreet led's.

I have ran the runstreet on 3 different cars and love them. There are some companies in the US that sell rebranded runstreet led's for 2x the price of Asian sources. The base is adjustable so you can get the proper beam pattern on any housing. The cooling fan just barely clears on the back side.

Just a forewarning the xenondepot hid's in 6000k don't match exactly to the runstreet 6000k led's. I would suggest getting 5000k to match the 6000k runstreet led's. (if you end up doing that combo)

jscricca
09-04-2017, 12:29 AM
I ended up ditching the plan for led headlights due to the fan size and I didn't want to run the headlights without the dust caps. Running dust caps with high wattage led's will kill the life expectancy of the led due to excessive heat.

This is my setup:
6000k 2900lm/bulb HID headlights
6000k 4500lm/bulb LED fog lights

Factory headlights and fogs have a 5400lm total output. The LED/HID combo I'm running is 14800lm. My daily commute is nearly all back country roads with a lot of wildlife. The added visibility at night was a huge safety improvement.

100% error free and I am not running resistors. Only mod needed is to drill a hole in the dust cap to feed the wires from the bulb to the ballast. The HID ballast had a rubber grommet so water intrusion is a low risk.

Sounds like a good setup. What fog lights did you get? How hard were they to install?

charrigan
09-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a good setup. What fog lights did you get? How hard were they to install?

I have runstreet led's. I have used them on two past cars without issues and they are crazy bright. Visibility at night and in fog is excellent.

Installation was easy. Install can be done with the bumper partially removed which takes 10-15 min to uninstall or reinstall. The fans on the LED bulbs barely clear the components behind the bumper. there is maybe 1/8 inch of room.