PDA

View Full Version : Tire replacement question

ChuntaChinte
11-15-2016, 03:33 PM
I have received conflicting information regarding replacing my tires.

Some people indicated that the make and model should be the same (Firehawk GT), others have mentioned that the make and model doesn't matter so long the tire's specs are the same.

Could some of you who are familiar with this shed some light?

Thank You

stikman
11-15-2016, 09:31 PM
it's size that matter (spec is depend on the usage: summer, winter, racing, etc.)

Robert Nixon
11-15-2016, 09:39 PM
I agree, you should have the same size of tire and wheel on each axle (some cars have bigger wheels/tires in the rear), but they don't have to be the same brand.

If I worked for a tire company I might tell you to make all 4 match just so I could sell you more tires.

Southernroadrunner
11-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Our little cars have the same size tires all around as far as I know

rkw
11-15-2016, 10:32 PM
they don't have to be the same brand.The OP posted this question in the 500e forum, I'd guess that his concern is about returning the car at end of lease. The car must be returned with 4 tires that match and of the same brand (not necessary to be FIrehawk GT). If not for lease return, a mismatched set of tires with the same size specs should work as long as they don't have very different traction characteristics.

DaveN007
11-18-2016, 01:43 PM
The four wheels are NOT the same on a 500e. The tires are the same, but the WHEELS are not. Guide bolt things prevent swapping fronts and rears. They must be removed to allow for after market wheels. I am running same size all around with no issues, but not understanding WTF the guide bolts were doing proved to be a $400 mistake. I stripped a lug not hole in a wheel hub trying to get the wheel on the rear of the car before I realized that the guide bolt-hanger things needed to be removed. Hub needed replacement.