PDA

View Full Version : Best shifting practices for Abarth

piotrush
11-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Hi there,

I recently started daily driving my wife's '13 Abarth manual. She's always averaged 25-27mpg, and I'm determined to do better! On my first tank of this as my daily driver, I'm hovering right around 30mpg doing mostly city driving. My question is this, do you recommend moderate acceleration through all gears to a cruising speed (light throttle input & shifting ~2000rpm)? Or is accelerating quickly in gears 1&2, then going straight into gear 4 or 5 recommended? Thanks in advance!

Peter

Grabo
11-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Peter.....your "hunch" is correct. My 2016 A500 is used 95% in city driving. I live in the city. Shift about 2000rpm which is like 15 mph in 1st, 25mph in 2nd and 35mph in 3rd and I'm averaging 30.5 mpg. Got the car in July

and have used the sport button maybe 10-15 times. I find the throttle in sport mode annoying in city use, but great fun on back roads. Only use 5th gear when steadily causing at 50mph and above. Fourth gear in the Abarth is

a little over one to one ratio and fifth is overdrive, less than one to one. That little turbo motor spins so freely i found myself, more than few times, in fourth at 50+. Hope this gives you some guidance.

John

Michael T
11-12-2016, 08:00 PM
You need to do better in the other direction and enjoy the car. Click on that sport button and enjoy that little Italian monster.

Worst I've gotten is 18 in this car, best I've done is 36.

ewflyer
11-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Short-shifting a turbocharged car is a travesty, an injustice.

That said, the Abarth really shines on the highway. I regularly get 41 MPG on trips that don't go through the mountains.

piotrush
11-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Wow - 41mpg is pretty impressive! I find myself not necessarily shifting early, but giving it very moderate throttle input while revving to 2500-3000rpm; I'm mostly trying to keep that boost gauge needle as motionless as possible (I know its a travesty!). The most we ever got on a mostly highway trip was in the high 30s. I'm replacing my 04 Jetta TDi, so it kind of hurts losing 10mpg across the board. But the fun factor is a nice consolation prize!

Fiat500USA
11-14-2016, 04:27 PM
I've been averaging 34.5 mpg on my semi-rural/urban commute. It's about 15-17 miles and maybe 10 or 12 stop signs/lights. I shift around 2,000 rpm and try to use the highest gear I can without lugging the engine and use easy throttle. The advantage with MultiAir is it boosts low speed torque so the engine can pull at a lower rpm/throttle setting compared to a conventional engine.

If you have the TomTom unit, there is a fuel economy meter that can help with fuel economy, or you can use the trip computers instant mpg readout to gauge how much throttle to use or when to ease off the gas. I also use the cruise control a lot. That helps me avoid tickets! LOL I use the Sport button every now and then and especially when I need to merge or just want to have fun. You can't always drive sportingly, but driving for fuel economy can also be fun and entertaining, plus it helped safeguard your license. gr_grin

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/327661.png (http://www.fuelly.com/car/abarth/500/2012/fiat500usa/327661)

Southernroadrunner
11-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Short-shifting a turbocharged car is a travesty, an injustice.

That said, the Abarth really shines on the highway. I regularly get 41 MPG on trips that don't go through the mountains.

Again I gotta know how you get 41mpg out of an Abarth. I just don't remember anyone stating that mileage except folks with pops

ewflyer
11-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Again I gotta know how you get 41mpg out of an Abarth. I just don't remember anyone stating that mileage except folks with pops

Okay, here it is: In the first few years of owning my Abarth (2012 model) I was driving between Portland, OR and Spokane, WA on a regular basis. The trip, from the west side of Portland to the east side Spokane was 425 miles total. The Abarth made the trip, multiple times, on a single tank. I'd fill it up and hit the highway, keeping it out of the boost and hovering right around 63 to 65 MPH. At the other end, arriving in either Portland or Spokane on fumes (I guess) with right around 415 miles showing on the trip "A" odometer, I'd refuel the car and would always get just over 10 gallons into the tank.

So I'm talking about 415 miles of pure highway driving.

This is how it happened, many times. Tell me where this doesn't add up.

Southernroadrunner
11-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Adds up my friend I just can't get over 36 with mine no matter what I do. I don't disagree you are getting that which is just great congrats. I just can't get it with mine. Scratching head. But thank you very much for the explination sir

ewflyer
11-14-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm in Huntsville visiting my family through Thanksgiving. Grew up in Hoover.

Southernroadrunner
11-14-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm in Huntsville visiting my family through Thanksgiving. Grew up in Hoover.

Welcome to the great state of Alabama sir. For your good luck we always say ROLL TIDE here

piotrush
11-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Okay, here it is: In the first few years of owning my Abarth (2012 model) I was driving between Portland, OR and Spokane, WA on a regular basis. The trip, from the west side of Portland to the east side Spokane was 425 miles total. The Abarth made the trip, multiple times, on a single tank. I'd fill it up and hit the highway, keeping it out of the boost and hovering right around 63 to 65 MPH. At the other end, arriving in either Portland or Spokane on fumes (I guess) with right around 415 miles showing on the trip "A" odometer, I'd refuel the car and would always get just over 10 gallons into the tank.

So I'm talking about 415 miles of pure highway driving.

This is how it happened, many times. Tell me where this doesn't add up.

Makes sense, if the drive is not very hilly, and close to sea level. I've never gotten anywhere close myself, but mostly because where I live is not conducive to this.

Ducman69
03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Makes sense, if the drive is not very hilly, and close to sea level. I've never gotten anywhere close myself, but mostly because where I live is not conducive to this.
Sea level should have virtually no effect on these cars, as they are high pressure turbos. The small difference in atmospheric pressure becomes pretty much irrelevant when the cars are set to run 18PSI.

Drag coefficient on the 500 is really poor (around .37Cd IIRC), so the biggest differentiator in fuel economy will be cruise speed. Turbo engines are really efficient at cruise, but a bit less at full boil, so stop and go can cut down efficiency too. So the people that get great fuel economy are likely either not cruising too fast or are often driving in moving but thick traffic which gives you a big aerodynamic boost as all the cars traveling pretty close together reduce drag, kind of like how the pro bicyclists clump up to draft each other.

Remember, drag increases to the square of speed, so while 65mph vs 72mph may not sound like much, it actually makes a big difference, since its not linear.

MozzaFiato!
03-11-2017, 09:00 AM
My question is this, do you recommend moderate acceleration through all gears to a cruising speed (light throttle input & shifting ~2000rpm)?

https://media.giphy.com/media/d2ZfwQT1EhrX2IV2/giphy.gif