PDA

View Full Version : F1 Brazil November 13 2016

Robert Nixon
11-07-2016, 01:30 PM
We have two races left this season, and it's coming down to the wire for which Mercedes driver will win the title. Rosberg still leads, but Hamilton isn't out of it yet. Rosberg could clinch it on Sunday in Brazil, but he has to finish 1st...or finish far enough ahead of Hamilton. Hamilton basically has to finish first Sunday to keep his hopes alive and take it to the final race in two weeks. A Rosberg championship makes a cool story of the underdog team mate and son of a world champion that could win his first title. Hamilton being champion for a 3rd year in a row and 4th overall is also a good story. Fans seem to love one and hate the other, so that's the main drama heading into Brazil.

A couple of teams have not announced their driver line ups for next year, so maybe we'll hear something from Haas, Renault, and Sauber in the near future.

TV coverage in the US is on NBCSN, and all the sessions are covered live by the NBC Sports Extra app, and the F1 App. These times are all Eastern, hope you moved your clock back already!

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 11TH
7AM Practice 1
11AM Practice 2 on NBCSN
3PM Practice 2 Rerun on NBCSN

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 12TH
8AM Practice 3
9:30AM Practice 2 Rerun on NBCSN
11AM Qualifying on NBCSN

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 13TH
1AM Qualifying Rerun on NBCSN
7AM Practice 2 Rerun on NBCSN
10AM RACE Pre-Game Show on NBCSN
11AM RACE on NBSCN
7:30PM Race Rerun on NBCSN

Amacento
11-07-2016, 03:40 PM
The current politics of the sport leave me questioning whether or not to follow the remaining races.

That posted... I'm one of those supporting Hamilton rather than Rosberg.

I've never quite understood why Nico is labeled an underdog. His father was an F1 driver. He was raised in Monaco (and educated in languages that would help him in the sport). He was groomed to be a champion and started this season better than anyone else in history. Ham was not raised in lap of luxury. He's the son of an immigrant and comes from a broken household. He has conquered the racing world despite this... plus he was plagued with technical problems most of the season.

I'd, of course, love to see Massa put on a show. Likewise, I'm rooting for Alonso to do something special (especially after what happened to him last year -- class act, he is). I'm always up for Ricciardo to pull off something good.

SF: I'm not sure what to say about this team. They have the power & talent, but those cars are tanks. The Scuderia needs to get that sorted for next season.

B3NN3TT
11-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Rosberg isn't a terribly effective driver when he's in traffic; he loses his composure easily under pressure. Lucky for him, he drives VERY WELL when he's all alone, so his qualifying numbers usually land him in P1 or P2. Then on race day he leaps out ahead of the pack and runs unchallenged for the entire stint. I think he's a fine driver - just not a good competitor.

The Red Bull and Ferrari drivers are GREAT in traffic, and Hamilton is pretty good as well. I would MUCH rather see any of them at the top then Rosberg; I don't think he deserves a championship title yet.

Robert Nixon
11-07-2016, 04:57 PM
For me I'm thinking of Rosberg as the underdog because he's been beaten two years in a row by Hamilton in the same car. If Rosberg wasn't driving a Mercedes I'd say there's no way he'd be 1st or 2nd in points.

Here's a look at the team points so far. Mercedes already locked up 1st, and then Red Bull 2nd and Ferrari 3rd are probably going to finish in that order.

4th place Force India is only 8 points ahead of Williams, so both those teams will be fighting for 4th, certainly worth some millions of dollars more than 5th. The other close races are Manor 7 points behind Renault, but with only 1 point on the year, that's a huge gap for Manor to make up. Then we have Sauber with 0 points, but that's only 1 point out of 10th Manor. Maybe it would take a LOT of retirements for Sauber to get up into the points and ahead of Manor, so just maybe they can pull it off. I think there is a huge drop off in prize money outside the top 10, so this one point this year could again be huge for Manor like two years ago when a single race in the points (Monaco by Jules Bianchi) probably saved them from bankruptcy.

Place Team Points--Behind
1 Mercedes 636--0
2 Red Bull 400--236
3 Ferrari 347--53
4 Force India 138--209
5 Williams 130--8
6 McLaren 74--56
7 Toro Rosso 55--19
8 Haas 29--26
9 Renault 8--21
10 Manor 1--7
11 Sauber 0--1

Robert Nixon
11-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Apparently Jolyn Palmer has signed for Renault last year, so he'll be driving with Nico Huldenberg. Just maybe the Renault factory team will make a big improvement next year.

I saw one report that Kevin Magnussen will drive for Haas next year, but it's not on the Haas or the official F1 website yet. Should hear something official very soon.

Robert Nixon
11-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Force India has signed Esteban Ocon to drive for the next two years, so they'll have Ocon and Sergio Perez.

Robert Nixon
11-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Here's a cool graphic from Formula1.com that shows how Rosberg takes the title depending on how he and Hamilton finish this weekend:

Robert Nixon
11-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Ericsson and Nasr to stay at Sauber next year too

Robert Nixon
11-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Practice 1 earlier today ended with Lewis Hamilton less than a tenth of a second ahead of Red Bull's Max Verstappen, and Nico Rosberg in 3rd. The 2nd practice is coming up at 11am this morning (eastern time) on NBCSN.

This weekend the Formula 1 season hits Brazil for the next to last race of the season. Then two weeks later the 2016 season will wrap up in Abu Dhabi. While Mercedes has already clinched the team title (which determines prize money, as in millions of dollars), the individual driver's title is still up for grabs. Both Mercedes drivers can still win the title, with Nico Rosberg leading Lewis Hamilton by 19 points. Nico will take the title if he wins on Sunday in Brazil, and there are a lot of other combinations of who will win, depending on how they finish in the last two races. Hamilton is a three time champion, and Rosberg has never won the title, although Nico's father Keke won the Formula 1 title once.

Looking farther down the standings, a few other finishing places are still on the line, for instance the two Ferrari drivers are only 9 points apart, and Max Verstappen of Red Bull is only 1 point behind Kimi Raikkonen. Both Sergio Perez (Force India) and Valtteri Bottas (Williams) are tied on 85 points, so they will be competing to get ahead of each other individually and for their teams because Force India is currently only a little bit ahead of Williams.

At the bottom of the grid, the drivers without any points will be hoping to finally get on the score board in the last two races.

Place Driver Team Points

1 Nico Rosberg MERCEDES 349
2 Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES 330
3 Daniel Ricciardo RED BULL RACING 242
4 Sebastian Vettel FERRARI 187
5 Kimi Räikkönen FERRARI 178
6 Max Verstappen RED BULL RACING 177
7 Sergio Perez FORCE INDIA 85
8 Valtteri Bottas WILLIAMS 85
9 Nico Hulkenberg FORCE INDIA 60
10 Fernando Alonso MCLAREN HONDA 52
11 Felipe Massa WILLIAMS 51
12 Carlos Sainz TORO ROSSO 38
13 Romain Grosjean HAAS FERRARI 29
14 Daniil Kvyat TORO ROSSO 25
15 Jenson Button MCLAREN HONDA 21
16 Kevin Magnussen RENAULT 7
17 Jolyon Palmer RENAULT 1
18 Pascal Wehrlein MRT MERCEDES 1
19 Stoffel Vandoorne MCLAREN HONDA 1
20 Esteban Gutierrez HAAS FERRARI 0
21 Marcus Ericsson SAUBER FERRARI 0
22 Felipe Nasr SAUBER FERRARI 0
23 Rio Haryanto MRT MERCEDES 0
24 Esteban Ocon MRT MERCEDES 0

B3NN3TT
11-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Wow, lots of excellent rivalries down the line.

Ricciardo’s got 3rd nailed down, but Vettel in 4th is only 9 points up on Räikkönen in 5th, so he'd better not crash. If Seabass crashes out, and Kimi and Max do well, that could put Kimi/Max in 4/5 and Vettel down to 6. So he's got a lot to lose.

Bottas has been on a roll lately, so I look for him to bump Perez down a peg this weekend.

Robert Nixon
11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
The Williams guys usually don't do a lot of high speed runs on Fridays, but today in P2 they finished 3rd and 4th right behind Mercedes! The Martini people are paying tribute to the retiring Felipe Massa by chaining the "Martini" on the car to "Massa" for this race, with a big "obrigato" (Portuguese for "thank you") on the rear wing.

Haas just announced they had signed Kevin Magnussen to drive with Romaine Grosjean next year. Gutierrez may end up at another team, still some seats left to fill at Sauber and Manor.

Needless to say, the Mercedes guys were 1-2 in practice 2 today.

Last weather forecast I saw was 100% chance of rain on Sunday, so that should mix things up a bit!

Robert Nixon
11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
So, after qualifying, we will have Hamilton on poll, Rosberg starting second. Haas team driver Romaine Grosjean had an awesome 7th in qualifying, and his partner Gutierrez is in 12th. Just maybe Haas can keep it together this time and have both cars in the points for the first time.

Still a big chance of rain for the race, so all bets are off, and anything can happen!

Robert Nixon
11-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Long story short, it was very wet, start was delayed 10 minute, started under safety car, and then we had several red flags, more safety car periods, crashes in the wet and bad spray, and despite all of that, it was Hamilton winning and Rosberg 2nd. So we'll head to the FINAL RACE with the championship still to be decided. Rosberg holds a 12 point lead over Hamilton.

The Haas team, after having a great qualifying, managed to throw it all away in the wet. Grosjean with his excellent 7th qualifying spot spun off on the recon lap, and didn't even start the race. Gutierrez qualified 12th, so at the start he was already up to 11th with Grosjean out, but a switch to Intermediate rain tires dumped him back, and then electrical issues forced him out of the race before the finish anyway.

Great, I mean really great driving from Verstappen in the final stint as he passed at least 10 cars to finish on the podium. I don't know how he did it, but I'd have to say this young kid really does have some special talent, and in the rain today he was able to show it.

B3NN3TT
11-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Verstappen in the wet was unbelievable. If he hadn't ducked in to switch onto Inters, and instead kept the Wets all the way through, I think he'd have taken the race.

Kind of bummed that he bumped Perez from the podium, but you have to appreciate that kind of tenacity.

Ricciardo had a really impressive second half as well!

Sad to see Räikönnen out, and Vettel so far back.

A real nail-biter of a race! Abu Dhabi should be sheer madness.

Robert Nixon
11-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Have been reading several more articles talking about how well Verstappen did, from either 15th or 16th up to 3rd in super wet conditions. One article stated that driving a non-traditional line is the way to do this when it's really wet, and that various driving schools (Barber) teach this all the time. The article basically said that all the other drivers seemed to forget this and Vestappen just kept passing them.

B3NN3TT
11-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Pretty much every even-numbered position needed to drive a non-traditional line, or else they were looking through a cloud of spray.

5port
11-15-2016, 01:24 PM
First thing Skip Barber teaches is a non-traditional line in the wet. Right after "in a spin - both feet in ". Verstappen is being compared to some great drivers . Great video on his drive here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/11/Verstappen's_wet_weather_masterclass_-_one_of_the_greatest_ever_.html