PDA

View Full Version : Muffler deleted...now I have a CEL?

BlueNado
11-05-2016, 12:32 AM
So I ditched the muffler...finally...and it sounds great! But...I once again have a cel. The last time I got a cel it was while I was running the piggy back ecu, so I removed it and hadn't had any problems since...until now. What the heck!? Can we not modify the L's at all? I don't know what the cel is as of right now, since it just kicked on this morning...gonna reset it and see if it comes back...but this is getting old..I want to make this thing fun, But I'm afraid if it can't even handle light mods...what is the point? It's got that great motor...and so much potential! Ugh...I should note that the last time the CEL popped up it cleared out on it's own but left the light on.

Fiat500USA
11-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Can't really do anything without knowing what the code is. How soon did it come on after you removed the muffler? How many miles do you have? What was the old code you used to get? What piggyback did you use? This info may help in figuring out what's going on. We've seen others mod their L, so there may be something else going on. Let us know.

BlueNado
11-05-2016, 01:04 AM
I actually don't know what the old code was. It cleared out before I ever saw what it was. It just left the cel on...I was running the RRM Ultimate piggyback. I think the issue there may have been overboost. Since The stock setup for the L runs 21 lbs of boost (or at least mine does), coupled with what the piggy back tells it to run, may have been too much. Muffler came off on Thursday. Drove it about 50-60 miles before the cel kicked on...Car runs great...no issues, no hesitations, everything is tight...I'll mosey by the good 'ol auto parts store tomorrow first things and see if they can't scan it and figure it out.

BlueNado
12-18-2016, 06:22 PM
So update on this. It's been over a month since I've said anything about it so here's the deal! The code is not related to the muffler delete or piggyback at all. There is a crack in my air box and it's throwing a code due to a vacuum leak. No biggie! Just gotta replace the top half of the air box! Got a part number from the dealer, so I just need to order it. That is all! woo!

Trunkout
12-18-2016, 07:59 PM
So update on this. It's been over a month since I've said anything about it so here's the deal! The code is not related to the muffler delete or piggyback at all. There is a crack in my air box and it's throwing a code due to a vacuum leak. No biggie! Just gotta replace the top half of the air box! Got a part number from the dealer, so I just need to order it. That is all! woo!

A cracked air box would NOT throw a code or ALL open intakes would, which they don't.
Happy Hunting!

B3NN3TT
12-19-2016, 01:19 PM
A cracked air box would NOT throw a code or ALL open intakes would, which they don't.

Not true; it all depends on where the crack is. There are plenty of vacuum lines running to the intake tract that need to seal.

BlueNado
12-23-2016, 12:48 AM
I broke one of the nipples off that the vacuum line attaches to. I "fixed" it, but doesn't pull proper vacuum, so it throws a cel. The scanner don't lie! Improper vacuum detected...ta-da...fickle little things..dang...