PDA

View Full Version : Abarth 124 USA steering wheel badge

SleepyTiger
11-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Hi, do anybody know the US abarth 124 steering wheel have fiat badge or abarth? does it need to swap the whole airbag or just badge itself?

thanks

Fiat500USA
11-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Hi, do anybody know the US abarth 124 steering wheel have fiat badge or abarth? does it need to swap the whole airbag or just badge itself?

thanks

"This also means the US car will wear a Fiat badge on the steering wheel while a new US spec steering wheel complete with an Abarth logo goes through safety testing certification. This may take up to a year.**"

Read more: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/04/fiat-124-spider-abarth-announced.html

It may just be the cover or even just the emblem, but I don't know if there is a difference between the US and European ones.

SleepyTiger
11-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the information! :)

steve6225
12-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Some are using these to Cover the FIAT badge with the Abarth Badge on the Steering Wheel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Fit-ABARTH-Scorption-WHEEL-CAPs-Alloy-EMBLEM-Badges-Stickers-56mm-NEW-3D-/142071842988?hash=item21142448ac:g:7v4AAOSwTZ1XnpB C&vxp=mtr

I bought these and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality... They are made with aluminum that is about 1/64" thick so they are pretty rigid. The edge is bare aluminum and will have to be painted black. Outside Diameter is about 58mm. They are cupped a little so they will go right over the FIAT badge. The finish is very nice. The shield, scorpion, and lettering is raised and bright gold, the colors are correct, and the finish seems pretty durable. The adhesive layer is very thin and sticky.I was surprised with how nice these things were, and I feel they are well worth the $10.00 I paid for them.

There are a few photos elsewhere on the net and they look like they fit well, but I won't get the car I ordered until May or June so I can't try them until then.

Fiatwins
12-22-2016, 11:02 AM
"This also means the US car will wear a Fiat badge on the steering wheel while a new US spec steering wheel complete with an Abarth logo goes through safety testing certification. This may take up to a year.**"

Read more: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/04/fiat-124-spider-abarth-announced.html

It may just be the cover or even just the emblem, but I don't know if there is a difference between the US and European ones.

I can not believe they did not have an abarth badged steering wheel ready, the emblem on the steering is the only thing that distinguishes the 124 from the Miata interior!

Fiat500USA
12-22-2016, 11:35 AM
I can not believe they did not have an abarth badged steering wheel ready, the emblem on the steering is the only thing that distinguishes the 124 from the Miata interior!

Originally the car was not going to be badged as an Abarth here in the US. Remember, Abarth is a separate brand in Europe, run by different people. The Abarth brand in Europe is a revered name and some of the cars there cost twice the price of ours. When enthusiasts petitioned Fiat USA demanding an Abarth branded product, Fiat USA had to go back to Abarth and get their OK. These brands are run independently by managers that have their own responsibilities and priorities, including safeguarding the name. It's a little more complicated than just slapping a different emblem on the front. While I wish the car had the badging from the beginning, it does add a little more backstory and interest to the car. For those who want the badging, I'm sure it will be available for changing going forward.

As far as the badging being the only thing that differentiates the Mazda and the Abarth interiors, that is not really the case. While the dash and console are carryovers, the seat architecture and design, door panels and steering wheel are changed. The interior is also much more quiet and the car has a European feel to it.

It could probably be argued that Mazda took inspiration from the dashboard on late model Alfa Spiders. Also, Fiat was originally going to exclusively have the padding on the bottom of the dash, but that was eventually shared with Mazda. That would have been another difference. We also can't forget that without Fiat, there likely would be no next gen Miata.

You can compare the differences here: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/07/driving-fiat-124-spider.html

Fiatwins
12-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Originally the car was not going to be badged as an Abarth here in the US. Remember, Abarth is a separate brand in Europe, run by different people. The Abarth brand in Europe is a revered name and some of the cars there cost twice the price of ours. When enthusiasts petitioned Fiat USA demanding an Abarth branded product, Fiat USA had to go back to Abarth and get their OK. These brands are run independently by managers that have their own responsibilities and priorities, including safeguarding the name. It's a little more complicated than just slapping a different emblem on the front. While I wish the car had the badging from the beginning, it does add a little more backstory and interest to the car. For those who want the badging, I'm sure it will be available for changing going forward.

As far as the badging being the only thing that differentiates the Mazda and the Abarth interiors, that is not really the case. While the dash and console are carryovers, the seat architecture and design, door panels and steering wheel are changed. The interior is also much more quiet and the car has a European feel to it.

It could probably be argued that Mazda took inspiration from the dashboard on late model Alfa Spiders. Also, Fiat was originally going to exclusively have the padding on the bottom of the dash, but that was eventually shared with Mazda. That would have been another difference. We also can't forget that without Fiat, there likely would be no next gen Miata.

You can compare the differences here: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/07/driving-fiat-124-spider.html

I have a hard time believing that Abarth owned by Fiat since the 70's is separate and can dictate how the Abarth name is marketed in the USA. I also can not believe that the Abarth 124 spider was not always included in the 124 plan for America. I attended the media debut in June at Sand Diego Stadium and the Abarth was there with the 124. If what you say is true than Fiat really has problems with marketing. The studio here has a Miata on the lot to compare and all the points you mention may be true but I do not see much effort put into differentiating the 2 standing between them, seriously they look exactly the same except for the fiat badge!
On another note why would they send almost all automatic transmission cars on the first batch off the boat, You go to the Mazda dealer and they have 1 or 2 automatics and the rest are manual? I don't think they know how to market these cars.

Fiat500USA
12-22-2016, 01:02 PM
I have a hard time believing that Abarth owned by Fiat since the 70's is separate and can dictate how the Abarth name is marketed in the USA. I also can not believe that the Abarth 124 spider was not always included in the 124 plan for America. I attended the media debut in June at Sand Diego Stadium and the Abarth was there with the 124. If what you say is true than Fiat really has problems with marketing. The studio here has a Miata on the lot to compare and all the points you mention may be true but I do not see much effort put into differentiating the 2 standing between them, seriously they look exactly the same except for the fiat badge!
On another note why would they send almost all automatic transmission cars on the first batch off the boat, You go to the Mazda dealer and they have 1 or 2 automatics and the rest are manual? I don't think they know how to market these cars.

To an outsider it may sound strange, but the information is directly from the an executive very familiar with the program. For proof, if you look beyond the US, you will see Abarths are sold in separate dealerships across Europe. All these brands compete for resources, etc. and that's how it is run.

This is more of the backstory. The original car was called the Fiat 124 Spider Elaborazione Abarth. You may remember this thread from March: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?24556-Fiat-124-Spider-Elaborazione-Abarth/page24

This thread among other feedback was sent to certain bosses in the company along with a note asking them to reconsider making the car an Abarth. Gathering this and other feedback, Fiat USA went back to Abarth and renegotiated and got the OK for the car to be labeled an Abarth.

I was contacted and posted a heads up here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?24933-Fiat-124-Spider-News)and on the blog the day before the official announcement: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/04/fiat-124-spider-news.html

About the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/04/fiat-124-spider-abarth-announced.html

That's the story and there are a couple of other people brought into the loop on here that know about what happened.

As far as the interior, true, Fiat spent the bulk of the money on the mechanicals, tuning and exterior body. However, I find it hard to believe that, side by side, someone would prefer the interior of the Mazda over the Fiat. For the amount of things changed they accomplished a lot.

neubauerjoseph
12-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Also for me and my family,
my brother thought fiat just put fiat badges on the Fiat 124. then I showed him pictures and he sat in the Fiat 124 spider abarth and lusso and he changed his mind. I still think that he wants the mazda more but he told me yesterday that the Fiat 124 reminds him of a poor mans Ferrari California. I am pretty happy so far of the Fiat 124 spider but I would like to drive it so far the dealers have been rude. a dealer in San diego told me I am not driving until I buy it to take it off a lot. A local Ferrari Dealer offered me to do a test drive. I just cant believe that a Ferrari Dealer would invite me to test drive a $250,000-$300,000 car and a Fiat dealer with a 25-27K car they would not. Mr. Fiat USA how is this possible?

Fiat500USA
12-23-2016, 03:02 AM
Also for me and my family,
my brother thought fiat just put fiat badges on the Fiat 124. then I showed him pictures and he sat in the Fiat 124 spider abarth and lusso and he changed his mind. I still think that he wants the mazda more but he told me yesterday that the Fiat 124 reminds him of a poor mans Ferrari California. I am pretty happy so far of the Fiat 124 spider but I would like to drive it so far the dealers have been rude. a dealer in San diego told me I am not driving until I buy it to take it off a lot. A local Ferrari Dealer offered me to do a test drive. I just cant believe that a Ferrari Dealer would invite me to test drive a $250,000-$300,000 car and a Fiat dealer with a 25-27K car they would not. Mr. Fiat USA how is this possible?

That Ferrari dealer notwithstanding, any dealer is going to vet just who is driving their car. Especially a car that is in demand, may be hard to get, or may be a performance car. Why? Well, we have to remember a few things.

First, a salesperson traditionally is expected to sell 1 car for every 3 people talked to. This is called the closing ratio and it is one of the metrics used to see how effective a salesperson is and has a large influence on whether they keep their job or not. It isn't a game and it is someone's lively hood on the line. If the salesman doesn't vet (it's called qualifying) who they are talking to they can wind up spending too much time giving people with no honest intention of buying a car joy rides and not selling cars. If management sees that and they look at a poor closing ratio over time, the salesperson is out. This is why a salesperson will want to find out if you are ready to buy now or when.

Car salesman typically take turns when someone comes into a showroom and the prospective buyer is called an "up" . It is like "up at bat". This is sometimes why you get poor service because if you aren't buying now the salesperson will ditch you before the management considers you an "up". This way the salesman doesn't lose his turn talking to someone who isn't a real buyer. Remember, for every 3 people talked to you have to sell a car, so the pressure is on the salesperson and sometimes they can't handle it or aren't professional and pressure people or do all the other bizarre things you hear salesman do.

Of course, not everyone buys a car on the spot and that's where customer service, patience and some brains come in. The object is to get the person who isn't buying today to come back to you and buy a car from you. That may mean letting someone drive a car. The salesperson has to be able to figure that out and that's a whole 'nuther subject. I sold cars for a while and always had the highest percentage of "be back" sales. I'm a relaxed, no hassle or pressure guy that loves car and liked helping people so I did well with folks "just looking" ;)

So the above is one big reason why you can't always get to drive a car. Some others are if the car is hard to get, they don't want to have a ton of miles run up on it, especially if that person isn't buying that car. Remember nobody wants to buy a car that was thrashed by every hot foot in town. Sometimes people will go to a dealer that has a car solely to drive it with no intention of buying and then go back and buy it from some other dealer that doesn't have a car. Salesman can figure that out, too, because they'll know where you live and what the inventory is of other dealers.

This is the way things are, but as the cars get more plentiful and less in demand it typically gets easier to drive a car, but the one thing that doesn't change is the goal of selling a car. If you want to drive a car, someone has to believe you are a buyer. There are some salespeople that don't care and will let you do whatever, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get a ride. I'd just suggest that if someone does give you a drive, is cool and treats you well, remember them and try to buy a car from them when you are ready. Let us know.

neubauerjoseph
12-25-2016, 10:25 PM
That Ferrari dealer notwithstanding, any dealer is going to vet just who is driving their car. Especially a car that is in demand, may be hard to get, or may be a performance car. Why? Well, we have to remember a few things.

First, a salesperson traditionally is expected to sell 1 car for every 3 people talked to. This is called the closing ratio and it is one of the metrics used to see how effective a salesperson is and has a large influence on whether they keep their job or not. It isn't a game and it is someone's lively hood on the line. If the salesman doesn't vet (it's called qualifying) who they are talking to they can wind up spending too much time giving people with no honest intention of buying a car joy rides and not selling cars. If management sees that and they look at a poor closing ratio over time, the salesperson is out. This is why a salesperson will want to find out if you are ready to buy now or when.

Car salesman typically take turns when someone comes into a showroom and the prospective buyer is called an "up" . It is like "up at bat". This is sometimes why you get poor service because if you aren't buying now the salesperson will ditch you before the management considers you an "up". This way the salesman doesn't lose his turn talking to someone who isn't a real buyer. Remember, for every 3 people talked to you have to sell a car, so the pressure is on the salesperson and sometimes they can't handle it or aren't professional and pressure people or do all the other bizarre things you hear salesman do.

Of course, not everyone buys a car on the spot and that's where customer service, patience and some brains come in. The object is to get the person who isn't buying today to come back to you and buy a car from you. That may mean letting someone drive a car. The salesperson has to be able to figure that out and that's a whole 'nuther subject. I sold cars for a while and always had the highest percentage of "be back" sales. I'm a relaxed, no hassle or pressure guy that loves car and liked helping people so I did well with folks "just looking" ;)

So the above is one big reason why you can't always get to drive a car. Some others are if the car is hard to get, they don't want to have a ton of miles run up on it, especially if that person isn't buying that car. Remember nobody wants to buy a car that was thrashed by every hot foot in town. Sometimes people will go to a dealer that has a car solely to drive it with no intention of buying and then go back and buy it from some other dealer that doesn't have a car. Salesman can figure that out, too, because they'll know where you live and what the inventory is of other dealers.

This is the way things are, but as the cars get more plentiful and less in demand it typically gets easier to drive a car, but the one thing that doesn't change is the goal of selling a car. If you want to drive a car, someone has to believe you are a buyer. There are some salespeople that don't care and will let you do whatever, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get a ride. I'd just suggest that if someone does give you a drive, is cool and treats you well, remember them and try to buy a car from them when you are ready. Let us know.

So so far I like the car, from what I saw at the la auto show. I would really love to take one home. If money is right I would love to keep my 500 sport banco and get a 124 spider along with my 15 Chrysler 200 with the multi air.